A Fine Cut Above: Is the Tomahawk Worth the Extra $$$

peanut head

18 minutes ago, peanut head said:

I noticed that for an upcharge you can get a Tomahawk in the Edge Series Ship specialty steakhouse restaurant.  Do you think it's worth the price and if you are in a high end suite with unlimited specialty dining are you still charged extra?

Royal and above SD is included

Tomahawk steaks are a creation of a good public relations pro. If they serve a bone-in rib-eye it’s the same steak as a Tomahawk except the latter has a bigger bone which you don’t eat anyway.  That didn’t answer your question but you triggered one of my pet peeves. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, peanut head said:

I noticed that for an upcharge you can get a Tomahawk in the Edge Series Ship specialty steakhouse restaurant.  Do you think it's worth the price and if you are in a high end suite with unlimited specialty dining are you still charged extra?

I could not possible eat such a larger steak.  Recently I did order the dry age steak steak that indicated an extra charge.  I had the included SD and I was not charged extra.  I do not know if this is a standard practice, but it was last month for me.

14 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

I could not possible eat such a larger steak.  Recently I did order the dry age steak steak that indicated an extra charge.  I had the included SD and I was not charged extra.  I do not know if this is a standard practice, but it was last month for me.

On the Apex back in Sep neither the premium dry aged steak nor the tomahawk were indicated as extra charge items...maybe this differs by different sailings?

I ordered the premium dry aged steak and was not charged extra.

I guess the OP really has two questions:

1) If one just purchased a specialty dining package, such as the 3 item package, if there was an extra charge for the tomahawk, is it worth it?  

-- I'm not sure because when I sailed this was not an upcharge item

2) If one is in a Royal Suite or above, will one be charged for extra charge items?

-- I don't think so but can't be 100% certain since I have not sailed in a Royal Suite and above since the COVID shutdown, and policies may have changed.  But prior to the COVID shutdown, extra charge items are included in the unlimited dining accompanying a Royal Suite and above cabin.

Edited by CalTexCruiser

42 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

Tomahawk steaks are a creation of a good public relations pro. If they serve a bone-in rib-eye it’s the same steak as a Tomahawk except the latter has a bigger bone which you don’t eat anyway.  That didn’t answer your question but you triggered one of my pet peeves. 

Did they appropriate another culture?

3 hours ago, peanut head said:

Yes upper suites are also charged an upcharge for it.  

I personally can imagine anyone eating that large of a steak but Florentine Steaks are about the same size and I watch a 100 pound lady devour one and then order desert.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We were on the Edge in August and currently on the Apex for one more day. I accidentally ordered the tomahawk steak on the Edge in Fine Cuts at the suggestion of our waiter and the premium dry aged steak on the Apex last week and was not charged any extra for either of them, other than the $55 per person to eat there!

I will say the tomahawk is way too much for one person to eat and the premium dry aged steak was way too tough for my taste. I think if we ever eat in Fine Cuts again, which probably won’t be any time soon, I’m going to try their Filet Mignon. At least it’s a smaller cut of steak and usually very tender.

So how much is this up charge and what ships are they charging it on? 

52A9DD97-34A2-423E-B419-D625341ADE62.thumb.png.bf3b5b3c6750b89da5638dd69e1f4149.png

Edited by Ken the cruiser

10 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We were on the Edge in August and currently on the Apex for one more day. I accidentally ordered the tomahawk steak on the Edge in Fine Cuts at the suggestion of our waiter and the premium dry aged steak on the Apex last week and was not charged any extra for either of them, other than the $55 per person to eat there!

Wow Ken glad to see you are cruising like crazy!  You have seen the light.  We are looking to get one in soon.  Our last was Jan 2020.  Out next is Aug 2022.  Too long!  Anyway how do you accidentally order a Tomahawk?  Is is enough to share for two people?  When I went to Fine Cut on Edge I got the Surf & Turf which was a nice tender filet and a whole Maine lobster.  Do they still offer that?

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

When I went to Fine Cut on Edge I got the Surf & Turf which was a nice tender filet and a whole Maine lobster.  Do they still offer that?

At the Fine Cut on the Apex, they offer a lemon poached lobster 🦞 tail with lobster ravioli in a burre blanc sauce.  Filets are 6 oz, 9 oz and bone in 9 oz, and the 30 oz tomahawk does state it's for two. I had one of those about 6 years ago at the steakhouse on the NCL Escape before they took it off their menu.

5 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

At the Fine Cut on the Apex, they offer a lemon poached lobster 🦞 tail with lobster ravioli in a burre blanc sauce.  Filets are 6 oz, 9 oz and bone in 9 oz, and the 30 oz tomahawk does state it's for two. I had one of those about 6 years ago at the steakhouse on the NCL Escape before they took it off their menu.

Lemon poached lobster tail - not sure what that actually is.  But is it cold water lobster?  Is it poached in the shell? Just a tail seems to imply warm water version.

11 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Wow Ken glad to see you are cruising like crazy!  You have seen the light.  We are looking to get one in soon.  Our last was Jan 2020.  Out next is Aug 2022.  Too long!  Anyway how do you accidentally order a Tomahawk?  Is is enough to share for two people?  When I went to Fine Cut on Edge I got the Surf & Turf which was a nice tender filet and a whole Maine lobster.  Do they still offer that?

We have definitely been doing that and as I mentioned in my thread covering our Nov cruise on the Apex that just ended, it's definitely one classy ship!!

As far as the tomahawk steak goes, I made the mistake of asking the waiter on the Edge what he recommended and that's what popped out of his mouth. I think I ate about 2/3 of it, then pushed the plate away. After dropping 30 lbs over these past couple of years, I have learned the art of saying no more when I start getting full. Yes, there is plenty for 2 people to share, but I wouldn't recommend it as it's just one big slab of beef. You would be better served by just ordering what looks tasty to each of you on the menu. As far as offering the Surf & Turf, they may, but my Apex cruise which just ended disappeared from the X App, so I can't confirm that.

Sorry to hear you have to wait until Aug 2022 to go on a cruise. You aren't by chance going on one of the Greenland/Iceland cruises on the Summit are you? We'll booked both of them as a B2B.

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Lemon poached lobster tail - not sure what that actually is.  But is it cold water lobster?  Is it poached in the shell? Just a tail seems to imply warm water version.

Guess you have never had butter poached lobster tail before.  Instead of the butter, it's poached in lemon.  Don't know if it's cold water, warm water or in the shell or not.  Will possibly find out in January when we're on the Apex.

1 hour ago, breadandbutter said:

By definition, it is not possible to have a fillet/filet (English and French spelling = same cut of beef, aka the tenderloin) steak with a bone, what are they serving for this description?

Really, then why does Ruth Chris and other steakhouses have one on their menu?

2 hours ago, breadandbutter said:

By definition, it is not possible to have a fillet/filet (English and French spelling = same cut of beef, aka the tenderloin) steak with a bone, what are they serving for this description?

Are you not familiar with a Porterhouse?

15 minutes ago, bauermj said:

Are you not familiar with a Porterhouse?

A porterhouse isn’t a filet.  A filet mignon is a steak cut from the tenderloin, which is the psoas. A porterhouse is a bone in steak that includes the psoas. Not in the mood to look at the USDA definition tonight, but pretty sure the actual definition of a filet is a boneless cut, since it’s a retail cut from a wholesale tenderloin, which is boneless. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, markeb said:

A porterhouse isn’t a filet.  A filet mignon is a steak cut from the tenderloin, which is the psoas. A porterhouse is a bone in steak that includes the psoas. Not in the mood to look at the USDA definition tonight, but pretty sure the actual definition of a filet is a boneless cut, since it’s a retail cut from a wholesale tenderloin, which is boneless. 

The boneless striploin is removed from the shortloin leaving the bone attached to the tenderloin muscle. It’s then cut with a bone saw   Into individual bone-in “filet mignon” steaks after removing the extra bone length. 

Butchers have gotten creative in the past 25 years. You won’t find a tomahawk steak either in a 40 year old meat buyers guide yet it all comes from the same cow.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We have definitely been doing that and as I mentioned in my thread covering our Nov cruise on the Apex that just ended, it's definitely one classy ship!!

As far as the tomahawk steak goes, I made the mistake of asking the waiter on the Edge what he recommended and that's what popped out of his mouth. I think I ate about 2/3 of it, then pushed the plate away. After dropping 30 lbs over these past couple of years, I have learned the art of saying no more when I start getting full. Yes, there is plenty for 2 people to share, but I wouldn't recommend it as it's just one big slab of beef. You would be better served by just ordering what looks tasty to each of you on the menu. As far as offering the Surf & Turf, they may, but my Apex cruise which just ended disappeared from the X App, so I can't confirm that.

Sorry to hear you have to wait until Aug 2022 to go on a cruise. You aren't by chance going on one of the Greenland/Iceland cruises on the Summit are you? We'll booked both of them as a B2B.

Close.  We are on Aug 29 out of Southampton for 12 nights on Silhouette.  It goes to Ireland, Iceland and Scotland.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2021 at 5:38 PM, mfs2k said:

I do a lot of grilling.   As you wrote it is a gimmick and marketing.  A catchy name that makes it something that they can charge more for.  

Personally I never order a steak when I dine out.  It is one of the easiest things to cook.  When I dine out I want something that I would never or could not make at home because it is difficult or too time consuming that involves a lot or ingredients and work. .  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 2

1 hour ago, miched said:

I do a lot of grilling.   As you wrote it is a gimmick and marketing.  A catchy name that makes it something that they can charge more for.  

Personally I never order a steak when I dine out.  It is one of the easiest things to cook.  When I dine out I want something that I would never or could not make at home because it is difficult or too time consuming that involves a lot or ingredients and work. .  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I guess I'd never heard of one until this thread! A lot of gimmick and marketing. Like a bone in filet (a filet is a boneless cut of meat by definition, so a bone in boneless cut...), which I consider an oxymoron, but I understand why they'd come up with that name.

And we're like you. We very rarely have steak when we eat out, unless I'm somewhere like Brussels where filet au poivre is delicious and much more work than I'd usually do at home! And so much steak at nicer places, at least in the US, are just huge cuts of meat that I never finish, and we really have a hard time splitting.

But if you're actually buying a tomahawk cut steak you're paying for that huge piece of rib that you're not eating!