??? Shared Dining ???

bobnsofi

The one time I cruised Norwegian, I was unable to walk up to a restaurant and request that I join a large table with my fellow cruisers that enjoy sharing a meal. My experience is, I can walk up to a ships restaurant on Many cruise lines and ask to join a large table, The restaurant hostess will typically refer to it as a "table to share".  This is an easy way to meet a variety of passengers. The only other time that I cruised Norwegian, They did not allow this. Carnival, Princess, and Holland all allow and promote this.  I'm Referring to the typical restaurant aboard ship, the multi course meal restaurants, that are free of charge, Not the specialty restaurants that include an extra fee.

Will Norwegian allow me to walk up to one of the regular restaurants, with regular waiters and waiters that are serving multi course meals, and allow me to join a table of Other passengers. ??? a "table to share" ???

Edited by bobnsofi
Spellin

15 minutes ago, bobnsofi said:

The one time I cruised Norwegian, I was unable to walk up to a restaurant and request that I join a large table with my fellow cruisers that enjoy sharing a meal. My experience is, I can walk up to a ships restaurant on Many cruise lines and ask to join a large table, The restaurant hostess will typically refer to it as a "table to share".  This is an easy way to meet a variety of passengers. The only other time that I cruised Norwegian, They did not allow this. Carnival, Princess, and Holland all allow and promote this.  I'm Referring to the typical restaurant aboard ship, the multi course meal restaurants, that are free of charge, Not the specialty restaurants that include an extra fee.

Will Norwegian allow me to walk up to one of the regular restaurants, with regular waiters and waiters that are serving multi course meals, and allow me to join a table of Other passengers. ??? a "table to share" ???

I'm not sure why you weren't able to do this in the past, but in our experience not only is this possible but it isn't unusual for the dining host or hostess to ask if you want to share a table...particularly if the dining room is very crowded when you arrive.

1 hour ago, bobnsofi said:

NCL will allow you to request that you share a table with others (and there are a few larger tables), but there are two potential problems.

Firstly, there needs to be a larger table available. I believe that in the past there was often a larger table available for these situations, but there is less chance of there being one available these days. This is primarily because of the second problem.

This is that, in order to share a table with others they have to find other people who want to share. I remember on these boards in the past there were sometimes posts from people who did want to share, and they requested this but then found themselves waiting around whilst everyone else said that they wanted to eat alone. I suspect that it is this that has caused NCL not to promote it as an option, and the staff probably don't like to keep asking and being told no.

It being so easy to eat alone is one of the attractions of NCL for many people, so there are consequently a lot fewer people onboard who will choose to share.

If it is a deal breaker for you then I would look elsewhere.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

I'm not sure why you weren't able to do this in the past, but in our experience not only is this possible but it isn't unusual for the dining host or hostess to ask if you want to share a table...particularly if the dining room is very crowded when you arrive.

I don't think I have ever been asked if I want to share when we turn up as a family (two or three of us). The only time I have ever been asked if I want to share was when I was a solo.

• Like 1

If you are traveling solo on one of the larger ships that has a solo lounge, they have a mixer there each day late afternoon and many then go together to one of the main dining rooms.  There is also a sign up sheet in the lounge for those who want to find people to join them in specialty restaurants.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

I don't think I have ever been asked if I want to share when we turn up as a family (two or three of us). The only time I have ever been asked if I want to share was when I was a solo.

I'm surprised. We always travel as a couple and have been asked regularly if the MDR is crowded, particularly there's a long line outside the door. Sometimes the host or hostess will even speak loudly and ask people who are willing to share to come to the podium.

Also even if not offered at times we've volunteered to share and have gotten a larger table more quickly than we would have gotten a two top. Once in a while no one else agrees to share and after a reasonable amount of time we end up eating by ourselves at large table.

I’ve never asked to share a table so don’t know how often it’s available. But the fact remains that NCL only offers freestyle dining, not the traditional dining with large tables. So I don’t think that style of dining appeals to the average NCL customer. I choose YTD on other cruise lines specifically so I can eat on my time and with just my party.

23 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

I'm surprised. We always travel as a couple and have been asked regularly if the MDR is crowded, particularly there's a long line outside the door. Sometimes the host or hostess will even speak loudly and ask people who are willing to share to come to the podium.

Also even if not offered at times we've volunteered to share and have gotten a larger table more quickly than we would have gotten a two top. Once in a while no one else agrees to share and after a reasonable amount of time we end up eating by ourselves at large table.

It sounds like it’s a timing thing then. We tend to eat early, when the dining rooms aren’t too busy.

5 hours ago, bobnsofi said:

There is a long thread I started a week plus ago as I had the same question based on my last NCL cruise.

6 hours ago, bobnsofi said:

You might have better luck by pairing up with other people interested in dining together on your roll call. You can propose anyone interested in dining together can meet at a set time at the chosen dining room.

In the past pre-COVID, and only on the larger dining rooms on the Jewel-class ships or the Manhattan on the Away-class that has the larger tables, if you tried this, you would have to wait while the hostess would ask other passengers as they arrived if they wanted to share a table. This would be hit or miss. You're better bet is to pair up with folks on your roll call, Meet & Greet, or other folks you meet at an activity on board.

Edited by kylenyc

We like Freestyle dining and sharing tables with different people. The common topic on the shared table is normally travel, which is a topic that I like :). We have heard all our stories, so hearing others is fun. We do not share when we have our kids. I don't assume others want to share with kids, but when it is just us, we enjoy it. It seems harder lately to share, maybe we eat too early. I'm sure covid does not help after the restart either. 

Tammy

• Like 1

On 11/21/2021 at 4:22 PM, bobnsofi said:

You can REQUEST anything you want to REQUEST.  This type of request will of course only be granted if there happens to others who want to dine with a bunch of strangers rather than enjoy a meal with family.

• Haha 1

The first night of the cruise - everything is chaotic - dining reservations aren't in place

except for maybe those folks in suites - concierge assisted or specialty venues.

A large number of guests cram the MDR(s) hostess desk - - -

YES community dining would be the theme and answer that first night.

After that you either have reservations at a specialty restaurant or make them for the MDR.

Your party is seated based on the number of guests.

Some cruise lines the MDR is open season - walk up and wait for a table. 

Larger groups are not necessarily difficult to work with - maybe the circular table or

butting 2 or more rectangles together. For twos and fours that is the standard.

Nice that some cruise lines have a beeper assisted reservation system - you check-in

with the hostess and are given a beeper to alert you that your table is ready - this helps

in controlling the space in front of the hostess desk.

After that first night - savvy guests contact the restaurant hostess or Maitre-D in advance

and work things out - especially so if a memorable event is being celebrated -

- nice table for two off in the corner

- table for four near the piano in an atrium

- a semi-private off the main floor for a planned LOUD celebration (balloons and champagne)

Hint:  the day of embarking the Buffet is always a given and open and usually one of the MDRs.

At that time make your future reservations for dining at either of the MDRs.

Specialty venues are different -

go to the Dining Reservation counter in the Main Atrium for assistance ***

*** some cruise lines have a special area set aside with a crew that books the remaining

available times since the Main Atrium will be really crowded. 

ASK OR POP THE QUESTION ABOUT DINING RESERVATIONS upon boarding !!!

Not able to get what you want - keep checking back for cancellations - be flexible on

time - think of rearranging your dining/specialty reservations to fit and don't forget

timing of that dining with show time or other events.

Bon Appetit

The time to look for others to share a table probably isn't when you're standing by the hostess podium.  At that point, it's a matter of supply and demand:  Is there a long line and are others willing to share a table in order to be seated sooner?  Those folks might (or might not) be entirely delighted at the prospect. 

Others have stated some good recommendations:  Post in your roll call, sign up in the studio lounge, or show up at the solo meet-up and see who is up to share a meal.  I'd especially recommend this for your specialty meals which generally require a bit of advance planning.

The irony is that NCL is probably the best cruise line for singles, with the studios, but the rest of the "Freestyle experience" doesn't lend itself as well to being seated with strangers.

Edited by phillygwm

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Really?  What the heck cruise line are you sailing on?

NCL

NCL Sun, 1203, Ship Positioning YVR-SFO 9/2017

With no definite dining plans that first night went to the Seven Seas MDR and the crowds 

were everywhere - Asked the hostess how much of a wait it was contemplating the

alternative of the Buffet - reply if you would share a table seating right away - NCL was

doing a mix and match keeping the crowds moving - a deal that beats the Buffet when

all you want is a sit down dinner.

Those other cruise lines - HAL Princess Carnival that I have been on did not do this

but seem to tell guests come back in half hour and will see if we can fit you in -

sort of like kicking the can down the road. These cruise lines do stick to a designated

reserved dining time with the same persons (party) for the entire voyage -----

That is the beauty of NCL Free-Style service - NO fixed dining reservations although

it may create problems waiting at the hostess desk - but the wait is not all that long

and with the beeper on call one can wait in a bar or elsewhere waiting. It isn't that bad.

Since that time - first thing I do after boarding is go to Dining Reservations and firm

things up for my entire cruise (being in Suite I now lean on the Concierge for reservations).

Haven't been back to the other cruise lines in a while so things may have changed but NCL's

Free-Style service must be making waves with acceptance from fixed dining scheduling. 

• Like 1

Before Covid MDR had a lot of big round  tables and it was common to ask passengers to share a table.

Last week we saw most of the tables for 2 people and nobody asked or offered sharing the table.

I hope it will revert at some point.

Back before the advent of Free Style Dining sharing your table was a common occurrence.  One way now to do it is through your cruise's roll call.  Poll your group and ask if anyone in the group is interested.  You can also mention it again at the Meet and Greet.

8 hours ago, Carnac767 said:

Back before the advent of Free Style Dining sharing your table was a common occurrence.  One way now to do it is through your cruise's roll call.  Poll your group and ask if anyone in the group is interested.  You can also mention it again at the Meet and Greet.

That works on one level, sharing a table. It does not work at another level, meeting new people as you share with different people each night you wish to share a table.

• Like 1