Port Everglades, Fort Lauderdale FL US
Noordam 06

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

1123NAmerica.thumb.png.253ff11fc772c4258c202f0270a55f66.png

1123Europe.thumb.png.e3e2f9ccfde568e85cd8d680824f464f.png

• Like 27
  • Thanks 10

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

I think I have some muffins with cranberries in them, so I'll have one of those today.🙂  Love cashews, not sure if we have any around, I may have to go shopping.    I'll pass on the espresso.

Amusing quote.

I'll pass on the meal suggestion, hope the drink of the day and wine are tasty.

We have snow here, so I'll be happy to see pictures of today's sunny destination.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 24

Thank you for the Tuesday (effectively Hump Day for most working Americans) Daily, Rich.  I enjoy cranberries, love cashews, but prefer regular brewed coffee.  Kind of funny quote by Buffett. I think for me kale would ruin a grilled cheese.  I'm sure many of us have been to Phillipsburg.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Seasick Sailor’s friend Walker wthdrawing from cancer treatments

NW and BC flooding, mudslides, and people trapped between closures with diminishing supplies
kakalina with spreading lung cancer in hospice
SrLouisCruisers friend John with end stage melanoma
SrLouisCruiser awaiting MOHL results
Waukesha
cat shepard’s friend recovering from aggressive chemo but at least back home
Cruzin Terri’s loss of her BIL in October and prayers for the strength they need to carry on
Strength for Mamaofami
From the rotation:
Cruisin Terri Autoimmune problem
HAL Sailor DH health issues
cunnorl DH sister recovering from stroke
LaPalma

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

A final cruise for kakalina
5 BHB with passengers
RWSBADGER and NCTribefan, enjoy your last day
Hearing from Norseh20
Front Line Health Care Workers
Quartzite Cruiser (Koningsdam to 12/12, RSWBADGER & NCTribefan (Eurodam),  Overhead Fred & Cruise Suzy(NA). Jimgev (NS),  and Norseh20 at sea (Oceania Marina to 12/1)
Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female staff captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 26
  • Thanks 9

Good morning everyone and thanks for the daily report. Thankfully my reaction to the covid booster has subsided and all that I’m left with is a slightly sore lymph node under my left arm; thanks for the well wishes yesterday.  Cranberry bliss bars are available at the Starbucks in our building, maybe with an espresso?  I like cashews very much.  The quote is humorous.  The sandwich only sounds interesting, not sure I’d like it but I’ll wait until I read the recipe to decide. Been to today’s port several times before the hurricane but not since. Prayers for everyone on our prayer list and cheers to those of you celebrating a happy event today.

• Like 23

Good afternoon from a cold 37°F but sunny NE coast of England.

Thank you for today's daily Rich and Roy for the various lists.

I like Cashew nuts and drink plenty of espresso.

Nice meal choice but not sure about the drink.

I have wore a suit most of my working life.

Philipsburg Sint Maarten is lovely with gorgeous beaches and nice jewelry shops that Pauline loves and one of our favourite Caribbean islands which we first visited on Crown Princess in January 2007 when we sailed from San Juan and again on Explorer of the seas in January 2008 when we sailed from New York to the Caribbean and back to New York.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone who is on the care list's.

I hope everyone has a lovely day.

Graham.

• Like 25

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Tuesday smile (ok, Hump Day smile for our friends in the U.S.) 🙂 

Interesting collection of days.  Seems strange that cranberries have a day today instead of Thanksgiving?  Love cashews and expresso - in Europe, only in Europe 😉 

LOL on the Buffet quote.  Not sure what is on the menu tonight but it won’t be today’ suggestion - I owe DH a good meal after the last couple of days.

I haven’t heard of anyone having a Zombie since I was in University. 😉 

We really enjoyed Sint Maarten when we were there many years ago.

Our rain continues - ok, now it’s freezing rain & ice.

FF27BD42-D638-4D40-9547-E259C3FF101D.jpeg.4930915afcc48b44be535afc607dde39.jpeg

Hopefully the high winds are over with.

@Mr. Bostonglad to hear you are feeling better!

I really don’t understand the CC gremlins.  I went on my roll call to catch up & posted no problem then came to the Daily and bam they struck.  I  had to go to Chrome again to post here.  Weird.

Sounds like a few of you are into full Christmas decoration mode.  For those with cats, good luck!

7F830980-8CD5-48B9-9C20-C4E81CCA239C.thumb.jpeg.5a2703085596daaaf4b3b63ef54edd8c.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and.a toast to those on Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Tuesday everyone !!!!!!

70BDC6BC-764A-4C1B-999F-751321FA5C90.jpeg.49e58ee3893548f3c2880e9b131ddab2.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your mask.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 14

Good Morning everyone! Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, and thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebrations Report. And thank you everyone for caring and sharing!

I only eat cashew halves. Someone once told me that way the calories will have leaked out.   😁

• Like 12
  • Haha 15

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Happy Cranberry Day - I'd planned on making DH's favourite cranberry loaf today - nice coincidence.  I enjoy cashews, but despite their deliciousness, they're loaded with fat that I don't need more of.  I'll give someone else my espresso @kazu it's all yours!

Although it's dark out, the temp is just below freezing, which is great, as a number of friends were talking about putting their Christmas lights on their houses today.  We should see a couple of warm days before it plunges down into the -20 area again, so we'll enjoy every bit of it.  

While going through some papers, I ran across one with the headline "Martha Stewart Isn't Coming For Thanksgiving" that made me chuckle.   I don't want to make this post overly long, but will include a bit of it - I will add more throughout the day.  

I regret to inform you that Martha Stewart will not be dining with us this Thanksgiving. I'm telling you in advance, so don't act surprised.

Our sidewalk will not be lined with homemade, paper bag luminaries. After a trial run, it was decided that no matter how cleverly done, rows of flaming lunch sacks do not have the desired welcoming effect.     Once inside, our guests will note that the entry hall is not decorated with the swags of Indian corn and fall foliage I had planned to make. Instead, I've gotten the kids involved in the decorating by having them track in colorful autumn leaves from the front yard. The mud was their idea.

The dining table will not be covered with expensive linens, fancy china, or crystal goblets. If possible, we will use dishes that match and everyone will get a fork. Since this IS Thanksgiving, we will refrain from using the plastic Peter Rabbit plate and the Santa napkins from last Christmas.

Although we like grilled cheese sandwiches, I'm not sure about the addition of kale to it.  Does anyone else think eating kale feels like chewing on tissue paper?  I've got chicken breasts thawing in the fridge which I think I'll coat in panko and parmesan cheese and bake in the oven along with roasted vegetables.  A small coleslaw will round out the plates and will be on our dinner table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Cheering on everyone on the happy list with our glasses raised.  Isn't it nice seeing so many of our community on cruise ships?   Be well, wash your hands, wear your masks, and stay safe.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Good morning, everyone.  

We are all well rested after a good night's sleep.   Sue arrived late yesterday afternoon in time for dinner.  We had a great time catching up and we're looking forward to more today.   I'm in seventh heaven with my besties and my sister here with me.   

Today's meal is a different take on a grilled cheese sandwich.   Keep in mind that you can substitute spinach for the kale.  And, if you want to wait until Friday, you can sneak a slice of turkey in as well.  

https://iheartvegetables.com/sweet-potato-grilled-cheese/

Sweet-Potato-Sandwich-5-of-5.jpg.a56301f5c88c96351749fd424a064117.jpg

This one uses a tomato balsamic spread as well.  Mmmm

https://www.readyseteat.com/recipes-Sweet-Potato-and-Kale-Grilled-Cheese-Sandwiches-7936

1992179979_sweetpotatokalegrilledcheese2.jpg.1f31ea0c2bd8ec51439178f50784b62f.jpg

How about adding some carmelized red onions?   That sounds really good to me.

https://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/sweet-potato-and-kale-grilled-cheese/

Sweet-Potato-Kale-Grilled-Cheese-5.thumb.jpg.bc446f0f1be9a0654c8032a28519cd0f.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 8

Good morning everyone. It’s a cold 28 degrees this am. Winter is here and I’m not a happy camper. Nice collection of days. We’ve been to Philipsburg several times, by cruise ship and land vacation. I have to admit I like the French side of the island  much better. Great food and great beaches.

The Thanksgiving countdown has begun and one of our grandsons is home from college. I’m getting my hair cut in the laundry room this am and then I’m off to PT.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 23

3 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

While going through some papers, I ran across one with the headline "Martha Stewart Isn't Coming For Thanksgiving" that made me chuckle.   I don't want to make this post overly long, but will include a bit of it - I will add more throughout the day.  

I regret to inform you that Martha Stewart will not be dining with us this Thanksgiving. I'm telling you in advance, so don't act surprised.

Our sidewalk will not be lined with homemade, paper bag luminaries. After a trial run, it was decided that no matter how cleverly done, rows of flaming lunch sacks do not have the desired welcoming effect.     Once inside, our guests will note that the entry hall is not decorated with the swags of Indian corn and fall foliage I had planned to make. Instead, I've gotten the kids involved in the decorating by having them track in colorful autumn leaves from the front yard. The mud was their idea.

The dining table will not be covered with expensive linens, fancy china, or crystal goblets. If possible, we will use dishes that match and everyone will get a fork. Since this IS Thanksgiving, we will refrain from using the plastic Peter Rabbit plate and the Santa napkins from last Christmas.

I just read this to Sue and Donna and they were laughing out loud.  Thank you for a great start to the morning!

• Like 14
  • Haha 7

I won the posting lottery! At least that is what it feels like.

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! I will put cranberries in today’s salad. And perhaps pretend my pecans are cashews and throw some of those in, too. 

It was a nippy 49 (feels like 44 with the wind) this morning. Even Bindi did not do her normal roll around on the ground during our walk. Coffee tastes good!

Thank you for keeping our lists Roy. Morning Dailyite family! I admit to being intrigued by today’s meal and may have to try one of your recipe’s, Debbie. 

Heading for the gym. Will check back later. 🤞🏻the gremlins don’t wreak havoc today. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Flanagan Syrah Bennet Valley

This Sonoma Syrah has excellent ratings. The info below focuses on the 2019 vintage, though it is not widely available online. Flanagan’s website offers it for $75.00.

Production Notes
The Flanagan Syrah Bennett Valley opens with notes of white pepper, cherry blossom, and Bay Leaf. The palate has ripe black fruit, bacon fat, and Herbs de Provence with a surprising amount of tannin structure for New World Syrah. The wine is ripe and generous and retains great acids. The small berries produced from the steep, volcanic hillside site gives the wine great color and concentration. This is a wine that can stand proudly with top Syrah from around the world.

Reviews

2019 Flanagan Syrah Bennett Valley - 92 PTS - JD

"Coming from a south facing, rocky vineyard, the 2019 Syrah Bennett Valley (100% destemmed and aged in 30% new barrels) reveals an inky hue as well as medium-bodied, classic cool-climate Syrah aromas and flavors of black and blue fruits, bay leaf, bacon fat, and pepper. Nicely textured, with good acidity and plenty of fruit, it's going to benefit from 2-3 years of bottle age and should have 10-12 years of prime drinking after that."
- Jeb Dunnuck (July 2021)

• Like 23
  • Thanks 6

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  I certainly like cranberries, cashews and espresso.  I’ll pass on the meal suggestion.  We are having pork and sauerkraut tonight.  Taking a half day off today and will run a few errands. I also will review pricing on our booked cruises to see if the sale helps.

Thinking of the upcoming holiday meal.

image.png.ab756ae078acbf59caa79016fa07cb2c.png

• Like 19
  • Haha 11

19 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

While going through some papers, I ran across one with the headline "Martha Stewart Isn't Coming For Thanksgiving" that made me chuckle. 

Love it!  Too good & true for many.

oops - I just realized i lied about the CC gremlins.  My post didn’t take on the roll call so the gremlins are everywhere 😞

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Good morning  everyone. I just taste tested my cranberry  orange relish to celebrate the day.I love cashers but have to limit them these days. @kazu,you are correct,espresso  is best in Europe. Thank you for the laughs  every day .I hope you are feeling better .

We have been to the port and I remember going to the beach on the French side of the island.We were with my mom and  my brothers and sisters  in law.I thought my very proper oldest brother  would faint as the beach was topless.My mother was fascinated.  

@ger_77,Thanks to you as well for the good laugh!

Terry 

• Like 23
  • Haha 1

Good morning.  It's cold here...not as cold as the North, but that's why we moved to Florida, for the heat.  Will skip the meal, do not like Kale in any form.  I don't think we've been to today's destination.

Thank you Rich and Roy for your dedication to our lists.  Debbie and Ann for the food and wine.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.  It's so good to see 5 BHB cruising with passengers.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

2 versions of today's drink.

Zombie:

The Zombie is a Tiki cocktail made of fruit juices, liqueurs, and various rums. It first appeared in late 1934, invented by Donn Beach at his Hollywood Don the Beachcomber restaurant. It was popularized on the East coast soon afterwards at the 1939 New York World's Fair. Wikipedia
Ingredients
1 1/2 ounces Jamaican rum
1 1/2 ounces Puerto Rican gold rum
1 ounce 151-proof demerara rum
1/8 teaspoon Herbsaint or Pernod
3/4 ounce lime juice, freshly squeezed
1/2 ounce falernum
1/2 ounce Donn’s mix*
1 teaspoon grenadine
1 dash Angostura bitters
Garnish: mint sprig

Steps
Add the rums, Herbsaint or Pernod, lime juice, falernum, Donn’s mix, grenadine and bitters into a blender, then add 6 ounces of crushed ice.
Blend at high speed for no more than 5 seconds.
Pour the contents into a tall glass or Tiki mug, add ice cubes to fill, and garnish with a mint sprig.
*Donn’s mix: Bring 3 crushed cinnamon sticks, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water to a boil, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Simmer for 2 minutes, then remove from the heat and let sit for at least 2 hours before straining into a clean glass bottle. Then add 1 part of the syrup and 2 parts of fresh grapefruit juice together.
On October 21, 2020 @summer slope posted this recipe for a Zombie:
1 part Apricot brandy 1 part Dark rum 1 part Golden rum 1 part white rum 1 part lime juice 1 part pineapple juice 1/2 part 151-proof rum
Mix ingredients other than the 151 in a shaker with ice. Pour into glass and top with the high-proof rum.Served: On the rocks; poured over ice Standard garnish: Cherry

Screen Shot 2021-11-23 at 8.26.11 AM.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 7

We had cashews the last two nights in Masaman Shrimp Curry.  And now we have no more cashews.🙀.

I love cranberries all the time.  

Thanksgiving plans changed, but i promised my friend who invited us (and now we cant go) that i would bring a cheese tray, which she really wanted, so I am off this morning to go buy cheese.  Even if I cant share the meal, I can share the love.

Be safe every one! 

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Greetings from San Juan! The cruise is going fine. Went to the Canaletto last night and it was fantastic. Since there were four of us, we got to try a lot of dishes. Breakfast service in the MDR has also been very good. Tried the Indian breakfast dish (aloo masala?) and I now have a new favorite breakfast!

• Like 29