HAL cruisers: Should I come back?

CruiseRQA

24 minutes ago, SumoCitrus said:

HAL explored nickel and diming their guests pre-COVID. Remember those second serving upcharges in the MDR that were tried? I fear the allure of charging for everything will be too strong now that their finances have been wrecked by the pandemic. You're seeing occupancy rates in the 40-50% range which is not sustainable. In addition, the price of fuel oil is near record highs and there is tons of uncertainty around COVID still. Too many people (and countries/ports) freaking out about seasonal spikes and variants. 

I think the cruise industry is doomed unfortunately. Before they shut things down and run the ships aground in India, they will attempt to stop the hemorrhaging at your expense. That means less for more, even if it's not glaringly obvious at first.

No, Chicken Little, the sky is not falling.  LOL

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

I would guess that the Edge would be hard to beat across all categories.   Do you think you would have the same reaction sailing on Celebrity's smaller and much older Millennium?  (The Millennium has her loyal fans as well).

Having been on Millennium in August in Alaska, I can answer an enthusiastic yes. With her "revolution" still fresh, the ship was in wonderful condition, food was terrific in the MDR (no upcharges, many more choices than HAL menus I saw from their Alaska sailings at the same time) and yes, live music in a number of venues ranging from production shows to a quiet guitarist in Cafe al Bacio.

While I don't agree with everything Celebrity is doing, they do seem to be putting money into attracting new cruisers at a time when the industry needs them to come back, and are providing a great onboard experience.  HAL, with upcharges and cutbacks is not going to be faring well in many head-to-head comparisons with other similar lines if they keep going the way they've started.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nocl said:

On the other hand you have some of us that like the changes HAL has been making with the music walk and some of the other feature.  The production shows on HAL in the past were more like Lawrence Welk than Broadway.

We know both, and it was definitely not Lawrence Welk - but it was recognizable Broadway and soft rock - our older generation did "invent"rock and roll and launched the surfin' safaris - singable and danceable. We always thought HAL shows in the past hit just the right notes in their entertainment selections for the War Baby-early Baby Boomer generation.

Reminds me DH's college reunion that put together both the Class of 1961 in with the Class of 1971, when they both requested the BeachBoys to perform and it was the happiest, rocking good time with other much younger reunion classes gathered about enjoying the show as much as watching us old folks know the lyrics and sing along with every single song.

Take me up to disco and ABBA, and then i start dropping out. Who else remembers that great John Denver knock-off show - again seemed to be a great crowd pleaser. 

So of late on HAL for us the shows got loud, boring, too much fake-belting, and totally uninteresting when they started reaching down to "younger passengers".  MusicWalk was an inspired improvement - pick your own brand of ear candy. 

Edited by OlsSalt
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

We know both, and it was definitely not Lawrence Welk - but it was recognizable Broadway and soft rock - our older generation did "invent"rock and roll and launched the surfin' safaris - singable and danceable. We always thought HAL shows in the past hit just the right notes in their entertainment selections for the War Baby-early Baby Boomer generation.

Reminds me DH's college reunion that put together both the Class of 1961 in with the Class of 1971, when they both requested the BeachBoys to perform and it was the happiest, rocking good time with other much younger reunion classes gathered about enjoying the show as much as watching us old folks know the lyrics and sing along with every single song.

Take me up to disco and ABBA, and then i start dropping out. Who else remembers that great Glen Cambell knock-off show - again seemed to be a great crowd pleaser. 

So of late on HAL for us the shows got loud, boring, too much fake-belting, and totally uninteresting when they started reaching down to "younger passengers".  MusicWalk was an inspired improvement - pick your own brand of ear candy. 

Compared to even the other cruise lines it was very Lawrence Welkish, (song dance numbers were slower, less energetic) this was back about 8-10 years ago when we tried HAL a couple of times, but then decided they were not for us at that time.

Tried HAL  again in 2017 taking a cruise from Sydney to Honolulu.  Liked the changes and have cruise HAL several times since then.

For most things like dining and service HAL is competitive to the mainstream lines, While there ships are larger than they used to be but still smaller on average then the other mainstream lines, their price point is competitive to the other mainstream lines.  The creation of the music walk concept with venues such as Lincoln Center is a positive in our opinion.  Even with the changes with production shows where they have gotten rid of the rather weak, even by cruise ship standards production shows, some of the new ones such as the dance and lighting shows (similar to some of the dance company shows that one sees on shows like America's got talent are entertaining.

So to each their own long term HAL cruisers might not like the change but to others they are attractive.  That is why there are several different lines, if one no longer meets your needs try others.

Edited by nocl
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Tampa Girl said:

Picking a post-pandemic, not-yet-back-to-normal time to question if HAL has reverted to its former state, is overly optimistic that a reasonably knowledgeable answer could be expected.  I have not read a review yet from a cruiser who says that every aspect of cruising now is just "the way that it was."   Try asking again a year from now, and hope that the S. African variant has not taken hold.

I have to agree with Tampa Girl. IMO it's too soon to tell how any of the cruise lines will be. They are all sailing with reduced passengers so possibly the service is better. Will it be when they are back to full load? I don't know. I have been on only one cruise since sailing resumed. It was the NA to Alaska and thought it was comparable to the last time I went to Alaska. It was so nice to be back on a ship that I really didn't nit pick anything. But that's just me.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, nocl said:

Personally I would rather sail on the Millennium and Infinity than Edge.

I totally agree! Our last cruise pre-Covid was on the Edge and was my least favorite cruise ever mainly due to the ship layout and the four dining rooms. The concept was good but the reality not. The entertainment in the showroom was fabulous but there was not much else.

We have been loyal Celebrity cruisers for many years but now feel HAL is a better fit for us. We love Music Walk but wish the Main Dtage had production shows. Win some, lose some I guess.

2 hours ago, nocl said:

Compared to even the other cruise lines it was very Lawrence Welkish, (song dance numbers were slower, less energetic) this was back about 8-10 years ago when we tried HAL a couple of times, but then decided they were not for us at that time.

Tried HAL  again in 2017 taking a cruise from Sydney to Honolulu.  Liked the changes and have cruise HAL several times since then.

For most things like dining and service HAL is competitive to the mainstream lines, While there ships are larger than they used to be but still smaller on average then the other mainstream lines, their price point is competitive to the other mainstream lines.  The creation of the music walk concept with venues such as Lincoln Center is a positive in our opinion.  Even with the changes with production shows where they have gotten rid of the rather weak, even by cruise ship standards production shows, some of the new ones such as the dance and lighting shows (similar to some of the dance company shows that one sees on shows like America's got talent are entertaining.

So to each their own long term HAL cruisers might not like the change but to others they are attractive.  That is why there are several different lines, if one no longer meets your needs try others.

Completely agree about the improvement in music, it's a big reason we enjoy HAL.. We love the Blues and Rock and Lincoln Center music available every night.  Celebrity doesn't have anything similar.  We were on Celebrity last month and the MDR meals were disappointing, compared to the past.

• Like 3

Why on earth argue over the offering??

Who cares if it is Lawrence Welk or JC Superstar?

Simple..if you do not like the offering simply vote with your feel and with your wallet.  Not such a big deal.  There are some ships, on some cruise lines that we avoid.  Clearly, many others find those same ships just fine. HAL, Princess, Celebrity....whatever.

Cannot imagine limiting ourselves to one cruise line when there are so many good cruise lines/ships out there with such varied and competitive offerings.  Offerings and tastes change over time.  

Our only downside is that we will most likely never get to any of the top tier customer reward programs.  From what we can deduce, none of them are worth being loyal or paying a premium for simply to get those rewards.

Edited by iancal

9 minutes ago, iancal said:

Why on earth argue over the offering??

Who cares if it is Lawrence Welk or JC Superstar?

Simple..if you do not like the offering simply vote with your feel and with your wallet.  Not such a big deal.  There are some ships, on some cruise lines that we avoid.  Clearly, many others find those same ships just fine. HAL, Princess, Celebrity....whatever.

Cannot imagine limiting ourselves to one cruise line when there are so many good cruise lines/ships out there with such varied and competitive offerings.  Offerings and tastes change over time.  

Our only downside is that we will most likely never get to any of the top tier customer reward programs.  From what we can deduce, none of them are worth being loyal or paying a premium for simply to get those rewards.

Largely because some are posting that HAL is horrid that it is not the same as the old HAL, where as some of us are posting that we actually like the changes and while it is not the old HAL for us it is a better fit.

If people were not giving their opinion about cruise lines and what they liked or did not like, there would not be much to post about.

Even in your post you are giving your opinion about cruising several different cruise lines.

• Like 4

We have been on river cruises (AMA Waterways) and 4 ocean cruise companies. Viking (1) Cunard (1) NCL (4) , and HAL (7).

I loved Cunard New York to Southampton. My husband only enjoyed the guitarist in the pub. I loved the history. He could care less. I loved the food. He was bored.

We have both decided NCL is not for us. Food, activities, amenities were lacking IMO.  Although Viking is at the top of our list, HAL is our choice. We can cruise on HAL in Signature or Vista for less than half of what Viking offers.

Our close friends love Princess and will not change cruise companies ever.

It is a personal choice, based on amenities and budget.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, nocl said:

Largely because some are posting that HAL is horrid that it is not the same as the old HAL, where as some of us are posting that we actually like the changes and while it is not the old HAL for us it is a better fit

I agree. I'm in my 50s and HAL finally has music I enjoy. Yeah 70's is a little before my favorite music at least it's not my parents (or grandparents) music. As far as production shows, I have no interest in that for evening fun. I did go to the One Step dance show and enjoyed it but had way more fun at BB Kings!

As far as the new limited MDR menus, it was a bit disappointing but between specialty restaurants, Lido etc, I found something I enjoyed every night.

HAL's overall product, itineraries, ships and crew still represent a good value for us.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

We can cruise on HAL in Signature or Vista for less than half of what Viking offers.

I agree. The Signature Suites are a great value for us. I don't see the Neptune Suites offering enough amenities to justify their price.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Hlitner said:

There is nothing "negative" about citing facts such as no production shows, add-ons in the MDR, slots in the Ocean Bar, etc. 

"Facts" are uncomfortable "truths" for many.  Particularly during this part of the 21st Century.  

8 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

We have been on river cruises (AMA Waterways) and 4 ocean cruise companies. Viking (1) Cunard (1) NCL (4) , and HAL (7).

I loved Cunard New York to Southampton. My husband only enjoyed the guitarist in the pub. I loved the history. He could care less. I loved the food. He was bored.

We have both decided NCL is not for us. Food, activities, amenities were lacking IMO.  Although Viking is at the top of our list, HAL is our choice. We can cruise on HAL in Signature or Vista for less than half of what Viking offers.

Our close friends love Princess and will not change cruise companies ever.

It is a personal choice, based on amenities and budget.

We sail on a variety of lines, depending upon the itinerary.  Have sailed on Celebrity, Royal, HAL, Princess, NCL, Viking.  On river cruises both Viking and Gate1.  Largely to use a cruise ship a mode of travel that we integrate with different land trips (a mobile hotel so to speak).  The only cruise line we are not interested in sailing again is NCL.

1 hour ago, Sea42 said:

I agree. The Signature Suites are a great value for us. I don't see the Neptune Suites offering enough amenities to justify their price.

The one Neptune amenity I  like is the small nibbles in  the Neptune Lounge that keep me away from the Lido buffet where far more things tempt me.  Neptune nibbles are my substitute for will power, and lack thereof when I cruise.   

One wise cruiser who gave good cruise dieting advice some time ago - just stay away from the Lido was her number one commandment. 

No, I cannot eat just a few bites of peanut butter pie or banoffee pie that calls out my name when I walk through the Lido.

Tried, but it never worked - seems "wasteful"right to leave a half eaten plate, right?  So is all or nothing when I pass by those items in the buffet.  I know my weakness. But I can have a few chocolates in the Neptune and leave happy. 

On 11/25/2021 at 2:41 PM, CruiseRQA said:

We are 3 star HAL cruisers and were HAL loyalists until our next to last cruise pre-COVID.   Our concerns about HAL on that cruise started when we realized that there was no evening entertainment on our first night out and continued when we were given a surcharge to have lobster in the MDR and found the famed promenade deck was never completely open all week.   There were other things as well and so on our last pre-COVID cruise we booked on Celebrity Edge.

We loved the Edge.   Live music for production shows!   Good food and service in the MDR.

We do fondly remember our past cruises on HAL and would consider a return but are concerned about whether HAL remains a "premium" line or if the our perceived decline in quality has continued.   We loved the old school vibe that used to be there on HAL.   Is it a thing of the past or should we continue to consider HAL? 

I went back to your Edge vs HAL comparison thread to gain an understanding of your perspective. I think you should book another HAL cruise only if it’s on one of the Pinnacle-class ships. If you are still unhappy with the product then you will have your answer. 

10 hours ago, iancal said:

Agree.

The way some loyal posters go on about HAL one would think they married the cruise line and took vows to cruise HAL for better or for worse.....

That’s funny, because some act like they’ve been through an ugly divorce and are determined to malign their ex at every opportunity.  Most people see it for what it is. 

• Like 9

11 hours ago, nocl said:

We sail on a variety of lines, depending upon the itinerary.  Have sailed on Celebrity, Royal, HAL, Princess, NCL, Viking.  On river cruises both Viking and Gate1.  Largely to use a cruise ship a mode of travel that we integrate with different land trips (a mobile hotel so to speak).  The only cruise line we are not interested in sailing again is NCL.

I'm with you on that.  Now mostly a solo cruiser (except when She Who Must Be Obeyed accompanies me) I use the ship as a means of transportation and do not need an alcohol-fueled floating county fair with rides to be happy.  My needs are an inside with passengers above, below, and across the corridor, a full promenade with some comfy loungers, and a wee dram or three in the evening while enjoying the various music venues that are not over-amplified.  I don't eat dinners in the MDR, so the food there is not a big concern.

My benchmark is extended motorcycle trips where I camp out part of the journey, so anything above that works for me.  

One can be as about as happy as they make up their mind to be.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

More's the pity.  I would take them over the other classes in a heartbeat.

Unfortunately the small ships don’t make money.  If they did they’d still be in the fleet. Have you actually been on the newer ships? I find some that don’t like them have never been on them.  I’ve had been on most of the old ships and the newer ships for me are light years better.

Edited by Florida_gal_50
  • Like 1