Live From Nieuw Statendam Nov 28 - Dec 12, 2021

Crew News

10 minutes ago, Crew News said:

I will try but have only been successful once before getting menus for cruise length not sailed by the current ship.  A few years ago, I was able to get the menus for 18-day Hawaii.  I will be on the Nieuw Amesterdam for 9 days and might get lucky there.  FWIW 10-day menu used to be 11-day menu with day 9 removed. 

Never hurts to ask.

I have no doubt that you'll try and I really appreciate it. I didn't know about the skipping of Day 9, so thanks for that!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Good to learn this.  He is a quality person as well as being excellent as part of the MDR staff.  I last met him as an AMDR.  I am glad that he has received a promotion.  

Agree, we remember him from back then too and he was fantastic in that role also. He has also been doing the GWVs as Maitre D' for awhile now. A well-deserved promotion; HAL has a gem with him onboard. 

• Like 2

Thank you so very much for starting this Live! I have so appreciated all of the menus and photographs you post to your website and will look forward to your posts over the next two weeks. We will be onboard over Christmas and are counting down the days until we board on the 19th. Have a smooth, relaxing embarkation day tomorrow and we'll see you on the PEV webcam for sailaway. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

You should be able to go on the navigator app and look under the dining room and see the menu there.  Often they don’t charge every day but that should give you a good idea.  My cruiser in quite a bit after yours and I can already see the menus.  That said if the ship isn’t doing those longer cruises they many not show up.

It's my first time using Navigator. I can only access one dinner menu for the MDR. I'm assuming it's for Day 1, but I'm not even sure about that. Is there another way to see the MDR dinner menus?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, canadarocks said:

It's my first time using Navigator. I can only access one dinner menu for the MDR. I'm assuming it's for Day 1, but I'm not even sure about that. Is there another way to see the MDR dinner menus?

Not that I know of.  I’m not sure they show in an order of days. It seemed for the November koningsdam cruise sometimes it wouldn’t change for a few days prior to the cruise but it seemed to be up to date while on the cruise.  It may give you an idea.  The navigator app does take a bit of getting used to.  I knew I’d seen something on the app but I’d have a heck of a time finding it sometimes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, canadarocks said:

I am not sure where the menus for those not yet onboard on the Navigator originate but the true menus must come onboard the ship with the ship Navigator connection.  They used to be on the room TV.

My scanner is with me and I will scan menus if needed.  With Club Orange, I should be able to get the regular menus with the Club Orange added entree.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, NengEuis said:

Thank you so very much for starting this Live! I have so appreciated all of the menus and photographs you post to your website and will look forward to your posts over the next two weeks. We will be onboard over Christmas and are counting down the days until we board on the 19th. Have a smooth, relaxing embarkation day tomorrow and we'll see you on the PEV webcam for sailaway. 

I will try to get the Christmas menus for you.  Last time I tried, I was told that they were not yet finalized so I took a photo of them on the kitchen wall during a kitchen tour.

I forgot my New Mexico flag to wave for the webcam so I will just be a Deck 5 aft guy in a black shirt with a big camera.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, Crew News said:

I will try to get the Christmas menus for you.  Last time I tried, I was told that they were not yet finalized so I took a photo of them on the kitchen wall during a kitchen tour.

I forgot my New Mexico flag to wave for the webcam so I will just be a Deck 5 aft guy in a black shirt with a big camera.

I will watch for you!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Crew News said:

I am not sure where the menus for those not yet onboard on the Navigator originate but the true menus must come onboard the ship with the ship Navigator connection.  They used to be on the room TV.

My scanner is with me and I will scan menus if needed.  With Club Orange, I should be able to get the regular menus with the Club Orange added entree.

I think you can see the menus on tv.  I just never looked at them that way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I think you can see the menus on tv.  I just never looked at them that way.

I have the Word.doc template used to create the menus, thanks to a kind Dining Room Manager (AKA Maitre De)  and was considering creating my own menus.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, canadarocks said:

To clarify, I'm hoping to see the MDR menus in advance of sailing, so I can pre-book our specialty dining. I know with the HIA promotion they might be unavailable to book if we wait until we're onboard. 

I meant to say earlier you will only see one menu at a time.  You would never see the entire cruise worth.  I’ve never been a fan of pre booking because I hate having to keep track on money I should get back.  The specialty restaurants were extremely booked up on the k.  I don’t know it’s because of the have it all.

• Like 1

Today is a new beginning.  First cruise with a laptop running Windows 11 and the first for two new cameras.  First time trying my portable router for multiple device connections. It will also be the first live thread from the Nieuw Statendam.

The  last time I was on the Nieuw Statendam, we celebrated a new first-time captain and he was everywhere around the ship.  I even got a personal note from him when I passed him a message from another CC member who was with him in the Maritime Academy.  It will be interesting to see how friendly the current captain is during the next two weeks. With any luck, I will reunite with some of my favorite crew members.

Yesterday was was a typical holiday rush at airports and I am glad I am not trying to fly on Sunday when everyone returns home.  Great mask discipline in the airports but no tables could be found due to maskless "diners" waiting for flights.  On the subject of masks, only a few hotel staff wear masks here in Florida which is a big change from New Mexico's strict requirements.

The Hilton Marina breakfast is in a tent so I opted for just a pastry from the lobby to keep my appetite ready for lunch onboard.  Camera batteries are charged and documents are ready for presentation.  Check out time is soon and I will be catching the $8 shuttle to the port.  My plan is to arrive at 11:30 for a noon check-in.

I will be conducting a ship orientation tour for members of my roll call at 3:00 PM today as I have done for the past number of years.  Sail away, dinner, and then I can begin collecting answers to questions both for CC members and for my own education.  Of greatest interest is what new changes are evident and those not so evident.

Until later on board.....

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4

58 minutes ago, mrspeck said:

Anyone ever had prepaid/prebooked dinner reservations disappear from navigator?  They were showing yesterday morning, but have since disappeared.  First one was for Pinnacle this evening.

Mine are gone too.  Probably waiting to connect to the ship intranet Navigator.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrspeck said:

Anyone ever had prepaid/prebooked dinner reservations disappear from navigator?  They were showing yesterday morning, but have since disappeared.  First one was for Pinnacle this evening.

Downloaded "My Itinerary" from HAL's Website just before leaving hotel for NA on 11/20. (Don't have smartphone, no Navigator app.) All reservations were accurate. Monday (11/22) morning, the "My Itinerary" onboard was missing the Canaletto reservation and the Pinnacle reservation had moved from 7:30 to 8PM. Could not change Pinnacle but was able to get originally reserved time at Canaletto. Even with the printed confirmation e-mails I could not get the 7:30 reserved time. Went there at 7:35 and were seated immediately!

Edited by Cruise Suzy
  • Like 1

Am looking forward to this as we board next week for the 2 weeks.  Getting ready to pack, how cold is the showroom/mdr/other public areas?  I am trying to decide if I need sweaters or just a light wrap.  Thank you in advance.

Connie

1 hour ago, Crew News said:

It will be interesting to see how friendly the current captain is during the next two weeks.

Would you possibly say 'hello' to Capt Noel if you see him?  Tell him that the Corkonians who presented him with a box of Barry's tea bags during the 'Meet the Captain' session on Koningsdam say 'hello'.

We have booked an aft room on a cruise on a similar ship,  and have not seen the balcony  If you would be able to take a picture for us it would be greatly appreciated - assuming you are not in a suite.  We leave 3 weeks for today for the Southern Caribbean on this ship but there were no aft cabins left. Thank you for posting live.