Live From Nieuw Statendam Nov 28 - Dec 12, 2021

Crew News

On our last several cruises pre-pandemic HAL had a cocktail party for 4* and 5* Mariners in the Crows Nest the afternoon of embarkation day - did they have that today?

Really looking forward to your observations - we are boarding Feb 2 and doing the 11 and 10 day twice to get out of the Indiana winter.  We have been on the Kdam twice so looking forward to checking out the Nieuw Statendam.

• Like 1

Embarkation Day began with an $8 shuttle ride to the terminal with twp stops.  I arrived at the terminal at 11:40AM and entered my stateroom at 12:52 PM.  The process was:  document check outside terminal door > document check inside terminal > Security scan > new photo w/o mask > escalator to gangway > board the ship.  Yes, I avoided the waiting ship photographers.  No pink envelopes to be found now and now a key card in the mail box

After a carry-on luggage dump in my aft stateroom, it was pea soup and a giant chocolate chip cookie for lunch where I discovered one of my favorite baristas, Michelle, was currently working bit currently on break.  I first met Michelle on the Zaandam four years ago and she would always hold a Diet Coke for me every evening for the movie.  If you see Michelle in the Dutch Cafe, say hello for me.  The last time I posted her name on CC, she had people stopping for several months to say hello. Please stop and say hello to Regina in the Explorations Cafe for me as well.  She will be thrilled.

According to one Security person, there are about 1250 passengers so no lines at all.  Tamarind had no more than 30 diners while I was there.  
Every venue has a barcode on a counter top that you can scan with your phone so make sure you have a QR app installed.

Two CC members joined me for my ship tour at 3:00 PM.
As for menus, I have started my collection for all dining venues and even the menu for the Lobster Shack on Half Moon Cay.  I have planted the seeds to get the Christmas menu as well as the 10/11-day menus.  

Since all menus, but one, are online, I went in search of the Late Night Snack menu at the Canaletto where one of the servers said she needed to speak with her manager, Presty.  When Presty emerged from his office and walked toward me, we pointed at each other and he said, "I knew it had to be you from the Koningsdam three years ago.  Nobody else has ever asked for Late Snack menus." It was a nice reunion to be sure.

4* & 5* Mariner Reception from 4:00 - 5:00 PM with few attendees and ships officer were not speaking to passengers.  No greeting line when I arrive at 4:05 PM.

I spoke briefly with the Hotel General Manager but he was called away before I could pass on greetings from his CC friends.  I will keep trying.

Live football game under the stars but the sound bordered on painful when so loud.

I purchased the Surf internet plan with my phone but it took me the entire day to find out how to connect my windows laptop to the internet so here is the solution:  in the search  bar, enter "login.com" > scroll down to :Navigator" > login > go to Navigator on the laptop and "connect".

More tidbits to follow.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, iflyrc5 said:

On our last several cruises pre-pandemic HAL had a cocktail party for 4* and 5* Mariners in the Crows Nest the afternoon of embarkation day - did they have that today?

Really looking forward to your observations - we are boarding Feb 2 and doing the 11 and 10 day twice to get out of the Indiana winter.  We have been on the Kdam twice so looking forward to checking out the Nieuw Statendam.

Born and raised in Indy and proud Hoosier.  Champagne was served but no mingling for either guests or ship officers.  I miss that part of the receptions.

• Like 2

On 11/27/2021 at 6:33 PM, NengEuis said:

Thank you so very much for starting this Live! I have so appreciated all of the menus and photographs you post to your website and will look forward to your posts over the next two weeks. We will be onboard over Christmas and are counting down the days until we board on the 19th. Have a smooth, relaxing embarkation day tomorrow and we'll see you on the PEV webcam for sailaway. 

I have not seen any decorations yet.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, mrspeck said:

Anyone ever had prepaid/prebooked dinner reservations disappear from navigator?  They were showing yesterday morning, but have since disappeared.  First one was for Pinnacle this evening.

All of mine are now visible.  I think it was the transition from HAL to the ship took some time to populate.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, vegas-c said:

Am looking forward to this as we board next week for the 2 weeks.  Getting ready to pack, how cold is the showroom/mdr/other public areas?  I am trying to decide if I need sweaters or just a light wrap.  Thank you in advance.

Connie

I will do a temp test in the next few days and report.  The temp indoors is cool and the transition to outside is a big jump in temperature.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, canadarocks said:

I have thanked you so many times for your amazing site, but it's so nice to put a face to the name. You are a CC legend Roger! 

It is interesting being a menu collector but it all started when a coworker asked me what wa on the menu that I did not eat.  Menu searching has introduced me to a lot of culinary and bar folks making it easier the second time around.  Ii have discovered that many on CC are just as intense at planning as I am.  "Know before you go." 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Crew News said:

I purchased the Surf internet plan with my phone but it took me the entire day to find out how to connect my windows laptop to the internet so here is the solution:  in the search  bar, enter "login.com" > scroll down to :Navigator" > login > go to Navigator on the laptop and "connect".

Wish I had known this last week. Called Guest Services as I remembered there was a URL to enter in the search bar. Female employee wouldn't tell me what it is over the phone. Had to go to Guest Services to be told "login.com" by the male employee. Have stored that info with my laptop and cruise essentials. With all the detailed instructions for connecting via a smartphone, you would think somewhere instructions could be available for laptops - they were before the pause.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Wish I had known this last week. Called Guest Services as I remembered there was a URL to enter in the search bar. Female employee wouldn't tell me what it is over the phone. Had to go to Guest Services to be told "login.com" by the male employee. Have stored that info with my laptop and cruise essentials. With all the detailed instructions for connecting via a smartphone, you would think somewhere instructions could be available for laptops - they were before the pause.

As far as I remember, the instructions are still on the stateroom TV (Eurodam October) .  Also there is usually a banner at Guest Services with the instructions (again Eurodam in October). 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

As far as I remember, the instructions are still on the stateroom TV (Eurodam October) .  Also there is usually a banner at Guest Services with the instructions (again Eurodam in October). 

Nothing on the TV last week on Nieuw Amsterdam for laptops - instructions were only for smartphones. Nothing for laptops in print at Guest Services - only verbal instructions IF you bring your laptop to them. Would have been nice to have been given URL over phone rather than being required to bring laptop to Guest Services desk.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Nothing on the TV last week on Nieuw Amsterdam for laptops - instructions were only for smartphones. Nothing for laptops in print at Guest Services - only verbal instructions IF you bring your laptop to them. Would have been nice to have been given URL over phone rather than being required to bring laptop to Guest Services desk.

I apologise!  I know I used my phone and laptop on Eurodam and when I saw 'login.com' mentioned in your post, it was so familiar.  However, I now remember that I actually connected my laptop to my phone with an USB lead and used USB tethering to access the net.  Meant that my phone was continuously connected and I did not have to login or out all the time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Crew News said:

Born and raised in Indy and proud Hoosier.  Champagne was served but no mingling for either guests or ship officers.  I miss that part of the receptions.

Thanks for the info on the reception.  We moved to Indy after college and are still here.  I worked at Naval Avionics on 21st Street and we live in Cumberland on the far east side.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2021 at 5:48 AM, Crew News said:

This begins a live thread where I will answer questions for those who will be boarding the Nieuw Statendam this Caribbean season and for those just wanting to follow this thread.  I will also provide information typically sought by CC members such as what's new/changed, COVID practices, ship main characters, special events, prices, when & where information, menus, embarkation/disembarkation procedures, issues and resolutions, impressions, etc.

For those onboard, soon to onboard, and those following, please feel free to participate.

Was nice meeting you yesterday.  Good luck with your Menu’s.

7 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Roger - were others able to board prior to your 11:40 time?  I was hoping to make the Noon- 1 PM MDR lunch.  What took so long to get you onboard (50 minutes)?

Did you notice anyone getting Covid tested at the pier?

HUGE APOLOGIES:  Actual boarding time was 11:52.  Actual time 12 minutes from terminal door to stateroom.

Porters told me that a number of passengers had already boarded.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, canadarocks said:

I have thanked you so many times for your amazing site, but it's so nice to put a face to the name. You are a CC legend Roger! 

I never met you but it is nice to put a face with a name.  Have a great cruise.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Crew News said:

According to Guest Services, 1250 pax next week.  So, savor the short lines at every venue on board.

Awesome!  Will do!  It'll be a nice change from our 1923 Onboard Rotterdam a couple of weeks ago!

Enjoy and see you at the M&G!  😀

2 hours ago, idiebabe said:

Awesome!  Will do!  It'll be a nice change from our 1923 Onboard Rotterdam a couple of weeks ago!

Enjoy and see you at the M&G!  😀

Yes, with low passenger rate, I am now spoiled. 

FWIW ship offered cookies in spite of Ship Services saying "no".  Cookies were chewy just like those giant cookies from the Grand Dutch Cafe.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1