Taking Food off Ship

SeattleAl

Simple answer. The only food allowed off the ships in most ports (yes, there are exceptions to this) is factory sealed snacks. This is to protect the agriculture of the port. They don't want to introduce unknown bugs/pests/etc. Same is true for Alaska. 

Whether or not there is a dog there looking for it, just don't do it.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, crbonfiber said:

Could you be any cheaper??? Stay home if your broke!

Please see OP’s post #13 for clarification. Like you, I made a stupid assumption as well and have since apologized, you should as well.

Since we usually are on our own, we have protein bars with us and no issues.  We like to make the most of our time on the islands and hate island time places.  If we do eat we ask whats the quickest thing to get as we are on a time crunch.  We have an insulated bag and keep protein bars in a small plastic container in there to prevent a lot of melting.  I think personally it's odd to take fruit or bread or any unwrapped item off of ship.  If you have picky eaters or diabetics, the packaged crackers are good in a crunch.  Many of the port stores sell these items as well.  And a lot sell OJ which is pretty good with a sugar low.

On 12/1/2021 at 2:57 PM, SeattleAl said:

OK, I know this is against the rules, but lots of boards and tips suggest it's pretty normal to grab a few rolls, some meat/cheese, fruit, a cookie to take off the boat when you're in port. I'm not talking about a feast.

If this is kind of one of those 'wink and nod' things everyone does and no one cares, we'll probably do it a time of two when we have an excursion. But I don't want to try to hide food in a bag that might get searched and becomes a issue.

What has been your experience? Thanks!!!

Don't stop at meat/cheese and fruit, get some rum runners, pot and a bagie of coke . If you get caught you can just tell them that you are a member of CC .wink wink 😉 . The "rules " Don't apply to you .🤣

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Djsmrs said:

When my kids were little we brought snacks from home for day trips.    Goldfish, granola bars, fruit gummies, trail mix.   Maybe bring some from home.   

I always packed prepackaged snacks for the kids, especially one with celiac since we didn’t know what we’d be able to purchase for her.

27 minutes ago, Hogbay said:

Don't stop at meat/cheese and fruit, get some rum runners, pot and a bagie of coke . If you get caught you can just tell them that you are a member of CC .wink wink 😉 . The "rules " Don't apply to you .🤣

Did you read the entire thread?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hogbay said:

Yep ,having a baby or having diabetes is not a reason for breaking quarantine laws .

Yea and maybe they should leave the insulin on board too 🙄 Guest relations will work with them regardless.  BTW nice shiny deputy badge and whistle officer.

4 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Yea and maybe they should leave the insulin on board too 🙄 Guest relations will work with them regardless.  BTW nice shiny deputy badge and whistle officer.

There's really nothing to work with if the country's rule is only manufacturer sealed food is allowed off the ship. Nothing guest services can do to change that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

I always packed prepackaged snacks for the kids, especially one with celiac since we didn’t know what we’d be able to purchase for her.

Agree, prepackaged is OK. Back 25yrs ago when my Kids were Wee Ones started Cruising we took Teddy Grams. Now there is Tons of choices

52 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Whistle 🤣🤣🤣 GS " will work with them " more BS . They will tell them to follow the local Quarantine Laws and regulations. BTW retired National Parks & Wildlife Officer .

On 11/30/2021 at 9:57 PM, SeattleAl said:

OK, I know this is against the rules, but lots of boards and tips suggest it's pretty normal to grab a few rolls, some meat/cheese, fruit, a cookie to take off the boat when you're in port. I'm not talking about a feast.

If this is kind of one of those 'wink and nod' things everyone does and no one cares,

It is not a wink and nod thing, it is illegal and you can be fined.

I'm not cheap and can afford a restaurant in port but a while back I had a very long excursion in Alaska and took some crackers, cheese, and hard boiled eggs with a container filled with wine -- very nice picnic.  I wouldn't do this now of course but pre-pandemic, it was easier to do.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

Forget about ship rules. I wouldn't want to be stopped in a foreign country for doing something they frown upon. It could be very costly.

Yes costly if you bring illegal and controlled substances, but food from the ship? The worst that could happen is they confiscate the food - no big deal. 

21 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Yes costly if you bring illegal and controlled substances, but food from the ship? The worst that could happen is they confiscate the food - no big deal. 

Not true at all.  There are agricultural laws to protect other countries from pests that can decimate a food crop.  Look at what the med fly did to California.  It is a big deal.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Not true at all.  There are agricultural laws to protect other countries from pests that can decimate a food crop.  Look at what the med fly did to California.  It is a big deal.

It could potentially be a big deal but no one is going to be fined or imprissioned for it.  The worst I saw was confiscated bananas at Port Canaveral. 

2 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

It could potentially be a big deal but no one is going to be fined or imprissioned for it.  The worst I saw was confiscated bananas at Port Canaveral. 

Tell that to the guy that was fined because he had an apple core in his bag that his daughter put there.  Get stopped as you are coming back into the country and then go for global entry a few years later and don't disclose that you were stopped.  They will question you.  My DH was waiting for someone else's interview to finish and the guy was asked had he ever neglected to declare something and he said no.  The next question was what about the piece of fruit you had in your bag on such and such date that wasn't declared.  Think what you want, it is a big deal.

50 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Don’t know about cruise ships, but have seen people fined flying into Mexico with banned food

5 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Tell that to the guy that was fined because he had an apple core in his bag that his daughter put there.  Get stopped as you are coming back into the country and then go for global entry a few years later and don't disclose that you were stopped.  They will question you.  My DH was waiting for someone else's interview to finish and the guy was asked had he ever neglected to declare something and he said no.  The next question was what about the piece of fruit you had in your bag on such and such date that wasn't declared.  Think what you want, it is a big deal.

That must have been one in one thousand or one hundred thousand.  A core from a fruit?  They must have caused attention for something else -- typically people aren't searched to that degree unless something suspicious triggers it. 

37 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

You don't see everything 🤣 . People have been find $1000 for first offence. 

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/clearing-cbp/bringing-agricultural-products-united-states

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1