VOOM Surf Voyage Package – 2 Devices Question

My husband and I normally purchase VOOM separately -- one device each once on board.  However, there's currently a sale on internet packages for our cruise which is less than the price with our two free Diamond Plus days.  Now I don't know if we should purchase two separate one-device packages or one two-device.  Does the two-device package limit who can be logged in at the same time?  We don't normally purchase VOOM in advance, so I appreciate your input 🙂

I believe it is one device per plan at one time.

For our November cruise we both had separate 1 device plans. Easy, no one had to log the other one out to use the plan.

For our upcoming cruise, I purchased a one device plan for myself. I do not mind switching between phone and ipad.

DH purchased a 2 device plan. This way he uses his laptop and phone without logging me off.

On shorter cruises, I have also gotten bye using our D Plus days and not purchase the plan. Or using the D plus days and then looking out for mid cruise special.

I think you will be better off with two separate one device plans, to be able to use your devices at the same time.

18 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

I believe it is one device per plan at one time.

For our November cruise we both had separate 1 device plans. Easy, no one had to log the other one out to use the plan.

For our upcoming cruise, I purchased a one device plan for myself. I do not mind switching between phone and ipad.

DH purchased a 2 device plan. This way he uses his laptop and phone without logging me off.

On shorter cruises, I have also gotten bye using our D Plus days and not purchase the plan. Or using the D plus days and then looking out for mid cruise special.

I think you will be better off with two separate one device plans, to be able to use your devices at the same time.

You should buy the 3 device plan as it is much cheaper than buying 2 separate plans and you can have all 3 devices logged on at same time.

We work while cruising and we always buy the 2 or 3 device package to have cell phones and laptop logged in at same time.  Works great!

@Sunshine3601 is correct. Don't listen to @Arzeena.

The number of devices is the number of devices connected at any one time. Once you've hit the maximum, the next device connected will disconnect one of the other devices (oldest connection?). You can keep rotating through devices (as many devices as you want) all day long, they don't care, but you will only ever be able to have the number of device package you purchased connected at the same time.

The only reason I could see to get separate accounts is to allow one person to have a constant, uninterrupted connection, while another person rotates through devices.

For instance, I have my phone, my tablet, and my laptop. My wife just has her phone. We got a 2 device plan. I connected my phone, then her phone, then when I used my tablet, it kicked my phone off, when I reconnected my phone, it kicked her phone off, so I had to reconnect her phone, and so forth.

I think there is a way to specifically log off a device when you are done that would prevent that, but I never got in the habit to do that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, dunedinmaiden said:

Now I'm confused -- two different replies with two different answers???

Sunshine3601 is correct. I purchase the 2 device plan for my DS and me. Both my iPhone and his are logged in at the same time. No need to log off or switch.   In the past, I have purchased the 3 device plan for two iPhones and an iPad. The plan was inexpensive and it was for a 12 night cruise. Multiple device plans are cheaper than buying separately. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, dunedinmaiden said:

Now I'm confused -- two different replies with two different answers???

The 2 device plan is what you want.  

I have to sync my cell phone to my laptop to get my access to my vpn to access work on my laptop.  We always buy 2 or 3 device plan and never had to log off the other person.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Always cheaper to buy 2 device then 1 device for each person.

Sometimes when RCI has a sale on Voom packages, they "forget" to also put the multi device packages on sale, so then two one device packages may be cheaper than a two device package.

Just now, Biker19 said:

Sometimes when RCI has a sale on Voom packages, they "forget" to also put the multi device packages on sale, so then two one device packages may be cheaper than a two device package.

Thanks -- their one-device package is currently 35% off and their two-device package is 40% off.  I also did the math regarding our two free days if we waited to purchase on board.  The net result is that the two-device package at 40% off is the best value.  I appreciate everyone's responses.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dunedinmaiden said:

Thanks -- their one-device package is currently 35% off and their two-device package is 40% off.  I also did the math regarding our two free days if we waited to purchase on board.  The net result is that the two-device package at 40% off is the best value.  I appreciate everyone's responses.

Doing the math is the way to go. Pay no attention to the however-much-% off because they make those up as they go along. The bottom line is always what you need to be looking at.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, dunedinmaiden said:

You will do fine with the two device plan.

If you purchase 2 single device plans, you will end up with two accounts (username + pin).  Each of those accounts can login a single device at a time.  If you attempt to login a new device it will ask and then bump out the old device.

If you purchase a single 2 device plan, you will get a single account (username + pin).  The account can have 2 devices online at a time.  If you try to login a 3rd, it will randomly bump out another device.  This could be either of your devices.  This can be avoided if you go to "logout.com" on one of the currently logged in devices and free up a spot.

If one person has critical work to do, say working remotely, I would do the two 1 device plans just to not risk accidentally kicking them off when they are online.  Otherwise, I would go with the single 2 device plan.

Edited by AustinCruise
  • Thanks 1

It’s been ages since I purchased a Voom plan and I don’t recall the cost.  I just need a single device plan (for a January cruise). Currently, the Voom Surf & Stream package for 1 device is $14.89/day, which doesn’t sound bad to me. However, I would love to hear back from more recent users of this service whether the price is reasonable. Thanks!

3 hours ago, michigal said:

However, I would love to hear back from more recent users of this service whether the price is reasonable.

That is probably the going sale rate, but there may be further discounts. Buy and if it drops further, cancel and re buy. 

23 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

You should buy the 3 device plan as it is much cheaper than buying 2 separate plans and you can have all 3 devices logged on at same time.

We work while cruising and we always buy the 2 or 3 device package to have cell phones and laptop logged in at same time.  Works great!

That was not our experience.
(DH works and I have to check in daily).
On the multiple device plan, when DH logged in at the same time I was already logged in, it asked to log me off. So one is buying it for multi devices, but it can be used on one device per plan at the same time.

When we purchased separate, it was OK and no one had to log the other one off.

Edited by Arzeena

15 hours ago, Biker19 said:

That is probably the going sale rate, but there may be further discounts. Buy and if it drops further, cancel and re buy. 

The lowest I have seen it is $11.95 on our cruises. Not often but purchased at that price a couple times.

Have seen it at $18 something normally. Waited.

On sale currently it is $14.89. Bought! Will check if it goes down any further, as you suggested.

19 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

On the multiple device plan, when DH logged in at the same time I was already logged in, it asked to log me off. So one is buying it for multi devices, but it can be used on one device per plan at the same time.

Interesting, We have always had all devices connected at the same time without an issue.   

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Interesting, We have always had all devices connected at the same time without an issue.   

Have also considered purchasing on board with D+ discount. But run the numbers, whatever works better for you, D+ discount is given over the brochure price and not on the sale price.

At times have used the D+ free days first and then looked for a mid cruise special.....Suggested by someone on CC and that worked out fine as well.

31 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

There was an issue with your configuration or the ship servers; we had a 3 device plan last week on LOTS my phone, DW phone, and my laptop were all connected at the same time the entire cruise.

8 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

Have also considered purchasing on board with D+ discount. But run the numbers, whatever works better for you, D+ discount is given over the brochure price and not on the sale price.

At times have used the D+ free days first and then looked for a mid cruise special.....Suggested by someone on CC and that worked out fine as well.

Yes, I usually do the math and sometimes it works out to use the discount but with the sales they had in the past week I bought internet packages for all future cruises.    Although I must admit I hated paying close to $1000 for just internet for all our future cruises when here I am shopping ways to reduce home cable/internet bills.   Oh well, as other say It is what it is...

Have a great day!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, michigal said:

It’s been ages since I purchased a Voom plan and I don’t recall the cost.  I just need a single device plan (for a January cruise). Currently, the Voom Surf & Stream package for 1 device is $14.89/day, which doesn’t sound bad to me. However, I would love to hear back from more recent users of this service whether the price is reasonable. Thanks!

The surf only is running just under $12 for my sailings and the surf and stream is $14.89.     I haven't seen this low in a while so I bought for all my future cruises.       buy now and watch prices in case they have a price drop.

• Like 1