Apex Live — December 4, 2021

What A Market

Back from snorkeling and beach time excursion.  (That is after eating and napping.) The tour started with bumpy/bouncey ride on what Celebrity’s excursion photo showed as a sailing catamaran but description said was a “power” catamaran. Actual vessel was a twin-hulled power boat.  This was a good choice for people who wanted more protection/screening from the sun. Most of the other Cats we saw had almost no cover. 

First stop was Bucks Island for the snorkeling part of tour. Very shallow dive. Decent visibility. We were given one hour for this part, which is plenty for most everyone on this tour. Lots of fish if you knew to snorkel around rock outcroppings. Saw a couple of turtles which was cool.

Next it was a smoother ride over to Water Island and Honeymoon Beach for one hour of beach time. This is a “wet landing.”  Meaning you have to wade ashore from boat. (No mention in tour description.) Crew said water was about waist deep. I’m 6-1. Water came easily up to over my chest. Some people definitely resisted going ashore. Decent beach. Seemed popular with the sailing people. Quick cruise back to boat from Honeymoon Beach.

All in a decent 3 hour and 45 minute excursion. The crew of our little motor boat were awesome. After snorkeling, there was PLENTY of rum punch available. Sodas as well. Some people obviously feel that “included” alcohol means drink until you’re stupid. But perhaps they start that way. LOL

Photo leaving Honeymoon Beach.

E93361BA-E01D-42DC-874F-D30C8CD7ECD0.jpeg

• Like 1

Note on our dock location for St. Thomas. We are not over by Charlotte Amalie proper. Rather, we are docked over in Charlotte Amalie West. Benefit: we are actually docked and don’t have to tender. Google maps says it’s a 13 minute car ride into town. Nothing really noteworthy around us. (Other than the Oasis, which was arriving as we returned from our excursion.) Sort of an industrial area.

25E06D02-A57B-46ED-ACD5-5CB643A25200.jpeg

• Like 1

Onto the often discussed (and somewhat reviled) Penthouse balcony. No doubt, it is extremely narrow and even broken up space-wise. Seems odd when compared to the size of the massive two bedroom/two bath suite itself.

I am at the point in life (after being raised in the Arizona sun — pre sunscreen days) when my dermatologist gets to hell at me once a year while cutting things off of me, that I actual don’t mind having a balcony with no sun. Plenty of room for two though. Really really nice pair of rocking chairs. And I mean really nice. All the better when enjoyed with some chilled wine. 

I am blessed. 

8BAC126C-B8C2-4BA8-9062-69D4467BF5E1.jpeg

Edited by What A Market
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, What A Market said:

Leaving St. Thomas. Two days at sea upcoming. (Yippee!)

Oasis docked along side us.

That is one BIG boat!

A9C13182-33FD-4F24-8A6C-62274D3B08F2.jpeg

2AAEA4D7-5B7F-4479-8646-A8A26B77BDF5.jpeg

The E Class ships in the Retreat are the best way to really enjoy sea days, enjoy. Our Apex cruise in 2023 has 4 of them in 12 days and our Edge cruise of 21 days in 2024 of New Zealand and Australia has 8 sea days. Some of the Edge ones are cruising in the New Zealand fiords and bays but I actually look forward to them.

13 hours ago, maryland said:

What A Market - Did you end up doing the Carambola Beach Club excursion in St. Kitts? If so, thoughts? We are thinking of booking it on our Apex cruise in March. TIA

Hi maryland 

Yes, we did Carambola Beach Club.

Big beach area with a lot of loungers and chairs. Excursion price included loungers but not the umbrella. You could rent umbrella for ten dollars. Club facility provided drinks and food.  Can’t comment on food as we only did drinks. Two rum punches were ten dollars.

They had jet skis and other water sports activities for a fee. Beach was clean, water calm and warm. Made for a relaxing three hours of beach time. One recommendation: For departure from ship, they organize people onto the buses in the order in which you check in. Don’t wait until last minute to check in (30 minutes prior to tour departure time). We got a ticket for the last bus, which meant we had to wait and wait for every person that was checking in late. Note though this did not impact time at beach. Every bus was given three hours.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, What A Market said:

Hi maryland 

Yes, we did Carambola Beach Club.

Big beach area with a lot of loungers and chairs. Excursion price included loungers but not the umbrella. You could rent umbrella for ten dollars. Club facility provided drinks and food.  Can’t comment on food as we only did drinks. Two rum punches were ten dollars.

They had jet skis and other water sports activities for a fee. Beach was clean, water calm and warm. Made for a relaxing three hours of beach time. One recommendation: For departure from ship, they organize people onto the buses in the order in which you check in. Don’t wait until last minute to check in (30 minutes prior to tour departure time). We got a ticket for the last bus, which meant we had to wait and wait for every person that was checking in late. Note though this did not impact time at beach. Every bus was given three hours.

Hi, is your Captain still Dimitrios Kafetsis? Thanks and happy sailing!

BTW, good morning from Cafe al Bacio. It’s the first of our two back to back sea days to end the cruise. DW gets to sleep in and I get a couple of hours to enjoy my espressos. Partly cloudy out. The sea looks really calm.

Other than my obligatory skinny latte photo, I’m posting a photo of a cruising first for me — eating raw oysters on a cruise. This is night two of the cruise. DW and I wandering around the ship before dinner in Luminae. Stopping occasionally for a libation. As we walk by Sushi on Five, I notice fresh oysters on ice at the display case in front of the restaurant. I love oysters, so I stopped to admire. The Maitre D approaches and asks if I would like to try adding “no charge.” 

Well, I couldn’t pass that up. But mostly I was tickled that he was so enthusiastic to welcome us. (Side note: approximately 7:00PM and there is only one other couple in Sushi on Five at this time.) I said that was thoughtful of him and I would love to try an oyster. I noted wife didn’t like oysters. He noted he would do something special for her. 

We order a glass of French Rose, and out comes FOUR oysters for me and some flash fried shrimp using rice flour for my gluten free spouse. I asked the Maitre D what type of oysters he was serving. Answer “Virginia” oysters.  Ha! Love that answer. He did note the oysters “boarded” when we boarded. (Thank God or I wouldn’t have tried.) Oysters served very simply with just lemon wedges. I really enjoyed the oysters. They were actually decent, but the for me the uniqueness of the moment was the best.

B5683F94-40F4-4614-977B-5FAFEE8435D1.jpeg

7EE3CF48-7958-4C4E-9B47-BB4D00A7BEDC.jpeg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, GMoney said:

I was on Oasis yesterday with you in Crown Bay

365700A8-64A1-47F9-944E-B25F23B0A4CA.jpeg

06FE33E8-747A-4B45-B9C1-363B25B87618.jpeg

EDBF062A-F1AB-4C0F-9C08-8809DC4F66D8.jpeg

Awesome photos!  I would encourage you to post these over at the Dec 4 2021 Apex roll call as there may be others on board that would be interested but not necessarily watching this thread.

Edited by mahdnc

28 minutes ago, What A Market said:

BTW, good morning from Cafe al Bacio. It’s the first of our two back to back sea days to end the cruise. DW gets to sleep in and I get a couple of hours to enjoy my espressos. Partly cloudy out. The sea looks really calm.

Other than my obligatory skinny latte photo, I’m posting a photo of a cruising first for me — eating raw oysters on a cruise. This is night two of the cruise. DW and I wandering around the ship before dinner in Luminae. Stopping occasionally for a libation. As we walk by Sushi on Five, I notice fresh oysters on ice at the display case in front of the restaurant. I love oysters, so I stopped to admire. The Maitre D approaches and asks if I would like to try adding “no charge.” 

Well, I couldn’t pass that up. But mostly I was tickled that he was so enthusiastic to welcome us. (Side note: approximately 7:00PM and there is only one other couple in Sushi on Five at this time.) I said that was thoughtful of him and I would love to try an oyster. I noted wife didn’t like oysters. He noted he would do something special for her. 

We order a glass of French Rose, and out comes FOUR oysters for me and some flash fried shrimp using rice flour for my gluten free spouse. I asked the Maitre D what type of oysters he was serving. Answer “Virginia” oysters.  Ha! Love that answer. He did note the oysters “boarded” when we boarded. (Thank God or I wouldn’t have tried.) Oysters served very simply with just lemon wedges. I really enjoyed the oysters. They were actually decent, but the for me the uniqueness of the moment was the best.

Now I am really jealous, I love oysters on the half shell. I do not recall ever seeing them on any cruise ship, but Sushi on 5 is the best place to sell them.

Edited by terrydtx

We ate at Raw on Five twice on the Apex 11/20 cruise - once in the evening and it was half full.  We tried to have lunch one afternoon around noon and the maitre d' said he had nothing available for that day or the next and the restaurant was almost empty.  Allowing for maybe other guests were arriving at a later time and they needed to save the seating we left but returned at 1 o'clock and they were only half full.  I expressed my surprise at all the tables available and he said he was going to try to find me - right.  He "magically" found something for lunch for the next day.  We enjoy this restaurant so despite the maitre d's attitude we took the reservation. I do think after enjoying our lunch the next day they seem to be short on staff.  The waiter was questioning "why everyone has to eat at the same time". 

We sail on Edge in February and will make reservations for lunch once on board - although when we went by each day they were opened for lunch it never seemed busy. 

Glad you enjoyed your oysters and great treatment from the maitre d'.  

I would say everyone is so nice and only this gentleman and a few of the sommeliers had an attitude which really surprises me.

Enjoy your cruise!

17 hours ago, What A Market said:

Onto the often discussed (and somewhat reviled) Penthouse balcony. No doubt, it is extremely narrow and even broken up space-wise. Seems odd when compared to the size of the massive two bedroom/two bath suite itself.

I am at the point in life (after being raised in the Arizona sun — pre sunscreen days) when my dermatologist gets to hell at me once a year while cutting things off of me, that I actual don’t mind having a balcony with no sun. Plenty of room for two though. Really really nice pair of rocking chairs. And I mean really nice. All the better when enjoyed with some chilled wine. 

I am blessed. 

8BAC126C-B8C2-4BA8-9062-69D4467BF5E1.jpeg

Is the balcony large enough to dine?  Specifically, could you order room service for dinner and eat outside comfortably?

1 hour ago, peanut head said:

Is the balcony large enough to dine?  Specifically, could you order room service for dinner and eat outside comfortably?

I’ll try to answer your question with a “live” photo.

I am laying in one of the two loungers that are positioned side by side to each other at one end of balcony. Maybe a foot of space between. At the other end are two rocking chairs, footstool, and low table.  Maybe the butler could fit a temporary table between all of this and two small chairs for dinner. Or maybe they remove some of the existing furniture and set up for dinner.  A four top would be a tight fit no matter what.

I’ll ask butler for you.

69A3DE3D-5411-4F7F-8B4F-ADDAD10D9F19.jpeg

• Like 1

On 12/7/2021 at 1:07 PM, What A Market said:

You da man!  That worked.

I've become an expert on it trying to post on board.    I had 3 different browsers and would switch between them until they were all locked up and then clear all of them individually.    Have to do the same thing on my PC at least once a day.

I wish Cruise Critic would fix.  It's obviously related to one of the 23 cookies. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, What A Market said:

I’ll try to answer your question with a “live” photo.

I am laying in one of the two loungers that are positioned side by side to each other at one end of balcony. Maybe a foot of space between. At the other end are two rocking chairs, footstool, and low table.  Maybe the butler could fit a temporary table between all of this and two small chairs for dinner. Or maybe they remove some of the existing furniture and set up for dinner.  A four top would be a tight fit no matter what.

I’ll ask butler for you.

69A3DE3D-5411-4F7F-8B4F-ADDAD10D9F19.jpeg

Thanks for the information.  Enjoy.

3 hours ago, What A Market said:

Rose and oysters … my favorite kind of pairing.  That looks amazing!

Perfect day on the Good Ship Apex. Very very calm seas and little to wind from morning until just now (4:00PM ship time).  In fact the smoke from the smoke stack was blowing off the ship sideways and settling gently onto the seas.  Ship felt like it was barely moving. 

Did a couple of sets around the track. Amazing track for a ship. There’s some real long changes in slope. 4.5 laps equals one mile. In between lap sets, stopped at the Retreat Sun Deck. Packed! Didn’t spend much time there other than having a drink. Staff definitely seemed to be scrambling to keep up with everyone.

• Like 1