Apex Live — December 4, 2021

What A Market

I totally get the earlier comments on using butler to bring espressos, rolls, croissants, etc.  Makes sense.  Not quite “use it or lose,” but something like that. LOL.

Two things though for me. One, I get up two to three hours before Heidi. No way she would be happy with butlers coming and going bringing me multiple hot espresso drinks. Two, I love sitting in coffee bars people watching, typing on my live cruise thread, and a bit of work. Mostly though enjoying multiple espressos and staring at the sea. Bliss.

• Like 4

Current view of the patio off the Retreat Lounge. Sheltered, quiet, peaceful. They did have NFL (American) football games on the TV here yesterday. A couple of games were being shown as well in Craft, including the evening game. Craft was full of fans throughout the day.

0D3EAEE2-6FD5-41A9-AE79-91E63E8BD1C2.jpeg

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, What A Market said:

using butler to bring espressos, rolls, croissants, etc.

We always had breakfast and dinner served in the room. I think the only other request we made of the butler was for some Bloody Mary mix. He came back about 20 minutes later and said the bar manager put up a fight up but finally relinquished a large bottle.  

27 minutes ago, danceswithphones said:

We always had breakfast and dinner served in the room. I think the only other request we made of the butler was for some Bloody Mary mix. He came back about 20 minutes later and said the bar manager put up a fight up but finally relinquished a large bottle.  

We did have the butler bring us a Bloody Mary for me and a Mimosa for my DW a couple of times for breakfast. He also kept our mini bar well stocked with small bottles of white and red wine which we enjoyed. We wanted to bring him home with us but for some reason he declined,😁

Edited by terrydtx

Here’s a note about handing off your bags when you arrive at the ship. The photo is from the corner of my laptop. It takes some real force to crack a laptop case. Laptop was in my backpack. Backpack is a Nomatic travel backpack. Designed to take some abuse and has a special interior sleeve for the laptop. This is the first time in all my cruises that I handed off my backpack when checking in. And the last time. 😒 

632BCC9F-C1C7-46BB-B6D9-2510108AA8A5.jpeg

20 minutes ago, What A Market said:

Here’s a note about handing off your bags when you arrive at the ship. The photo is from the corner of my laptop. It takes some real force to crack a laptop case. Laptop was in my backpack. Backpack is a Nomatic travel backpack. Designed to take some abuse and has a special interior sleeve for the laptop. This is the first time in all my cruises that I handed off my backpack when checking in. And the last time. 😒 

Wow!!! I really don't expected that happen to you as you paid for  the High end suit.

I do like your attitude you paid so much and want so little in return from the services of the crews.

I just get off right before you get on board if not you will see a guy at the Al Bacio every early morning.

Never use my butler for my morning coffee on all my cruises on Celebrity.

Edited by verizon

16 minutes ago, What A Market said:

Ouch, I never let my backpack out of my site or control for this reason and that I have too many valuables in it when we travel. My backpack also has a special padded sleeve for laptops, but they must have flung yours to have done this.  

40 minutes ago, What A Market said:

terrydtx 

I don’t think I noted earlier. Staying in Penthouse.

My sister and BIL did a Villa on the Edge in August and loved it, we are happy with a Sky Suite, but I know the higher suites are spectacular. Looks like it must take a long time to fill your hot tub, I assume it is fresh water and self-heating.

49 minutes ago, danceswithphones said:

We chose an Edge Villa on the Beyond because they have moved Luminae up to Deck 16 on the new ship. I'm hoping we can access that area from the door on the second floor. 

It looks like the Beyond is taking the whole Retreat experience to a much higher level, I hope to book her someday. We already have 1 Apex and 2 Edge cruises booked over the next 3 years.

• Like 1

How many of you remember the good old days of cruising when the Mexican Buffet basically end up being various ground meats seasoned with Curry? (Actually I think that may have happened on a very recent cruise, so not the “good old day.” Ha!)

Now the 2021 version:

Lunch in Luminae included a Greek Turkey Gyro. I was intrigued, and went for it.  Ended up being cold curried turkey salad. LOL And maybe that’s pita.... or not.

When I noted to server, suddenly I was surrounded by three people in total dismay that I might be unhappy.

Back to the Luminae Burger. 😋 

Manager told staff to put in order as “Red Bull.”  Otherwise known as “on the fly.” (Red Bull has Wings......) Too funny.

AD92FF4C-041A-4521-AB6D-AB69460C2EBB.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, What A Market said:

Now the 2021 version:

Lunch in Luminae included a Greek Turkey Gyro. I was intrigued, and went for it.  Ended up being cold curried turkey salad. LOL And maybe that’s pita.... or not.

1 hour ago, What A Market said:

But .. would you order it again? 

Really delighted to read your running comments as I board the Apex on Jan. 29.  Sky Suite.  I got to sail on the Edge during her inaugural year, and will be interested to see what, if anything, has changed.  I always have my butler bring breakfast, but not sure if a SS cabin entitles one to ask for a mimosa along with it??  Adore the Celebrity suite perks but a little shy about being too demanding.

One very special thing about traveling solo in a suite is that the butler has always kept an eye out for me, and never seems to resent that tips from a single would be less.

We have been to Carembola twice.  Once on Seabourn when we docked at the resort and waitstaff from the ship served caviar and champagne from a rowboat in the water and once on a family RCCL cruise.  While the service was totally different...the beach, views and facilities were fantastic.  Our second visit is probably the Celebrity tour experience.  If food is not included in your tour, I would not bother. The drinks were great.  Service on the beach was a bit slow so patience is necessary.  You will probably have a photo stop on the way back.  The view is lovely.  The vendors are pushy.  

The photos of your daughter are wonderful.  Our home is about 45 minutes from Quantico.  She is one tough lady to complete the FBI program.  You have every right to be a proud papa.  Well done!

My DH is drooling (he is older..but not the reason for the drool) just looking at the photos of the GF pizza.  Thank you for posting.  

So glad you are continuing with this report.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, msteries said:

Really delighted to read your running comments as I board the Apex on Jan. 29.  Sky Suite.  I got to sail on the Edge during her inaugural year, and will be interested to see what, if anything, has changed.  I always have my butler bring breakfast, but not sure if a SS cabin entitles one to ask for a mimosa along with it??  Adore the Celebrity suite perks but a little shy about being too demanding.

One very special thing about traveling solo in a suite is that the butler has always kept an eye out for me, and never seems to resent that tips from a single would be less.

See you on the 1/29 sailing! We are also in a SS. 

mac_tlc

• Like 1

9 hours ago, terrydtx said:

We did have the butler bring us a Bloody Mary for me and a Mimosa for my DW a couple of times for breakfast. He also kept our mini bar well stocked with small bottles of white and red wine which we enjoyed. We wanted to bring him home with us but for some reason he declined,😁

If you want a great mimosa have them add a Cointreau or Grand Marnier to it.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

12 hours ago, What A Market said:

Time for sentimental Dad gobbledygook.

This is the first cruise in over 12 years that I haven’t had my daughter with me. She and her SO (husband as of February 2020) have joined DW and I on a number of cruises throughout Europe and our last one in Alaska. We’ve also had the chance to bounce around Europe and the States on some land tours.

I’ve posted before about Shannon on live threads from previous cruises.  She has spent her whole adult life (since a freshman in college) engaged in a battle with two different forms of cancer. Between never ending surgeries, chemo, and radiation treatments I would find time for us to travel. Almost always by cruise ship. More surprising was how much she loved the Oceania ships (both the large and small ones). This is generally not where you find a lot of younger people. But she would also never turn down a trip with Celebrity either. (She told me once she loved being around “old people” because she spent so much time with them during her treatments. Weird kid!)

In December 2019, she got her first “clear” cancer screening. Two things happened immediately following that. One, is she married her long-time SO (the amazing Blaine). The second is she set herself on a path to become an FBI agent. She is what many people call a “9/11” kid and had the calling for government service since before high school.  Cancer derailed her original pursuit of service, so it was literally shocking to see her pick it up again so many years later at the age of 33. She just graduated from Quantico last month, and is off on her first posting. 

She is a fierce and driven person. Traveling with her has been the greatest joy of my life. Here’s a photo of the two of us bar hopping in Vancouver the night before getting on board our last cruise together with Celebrity. The second is a photo of Shannon going in for what turned out to be her last radiation treatment. Her life motto up to that point (as with many people fighting the Big C): F@#k Cancer. I can’t wait to cruise with her again!

Gott ist die Liebe.

956CDD08-0576-43A2-ACA0-81CBD21C835A.jpeg

060C0637-0BAC-4DD9-9358-4434F4B5970F.jpeg

Congratulations to your dtr on her recovery, personal and career success. Also to you and your dw for raising a Strong Woman!  Our dtr has had serious health challenges that are sometimes ongoing..but she is Fierce! Has a great career, supportive husband and  two wonderful children...not everyone is so lucky! Fight On ! 

Enjoy your cruise

• Like 1

7 hours ago, What A Market said:

How many of you remember the good old days of cruising when the Mexican Buffet basically end up being various ground meats seasoned with Curry? (Actually I think that may have happened on a very recent cruise, so not the “good old day.” Ha!)

Now the 2021 version:

When I noted to server, suddenly I was surrounded by three people in total dismay that I might be unhappy.

Back to the Luminae Burger. 😋 

Manager told staff to put in order as “Red Bull.”  Otherwise known as “on the fly.” (Red Bull has Wings......) Too funny.

I found that they are very free with the creative license with their menu descriptions… I have to mentally prepare my taste buds so I don’t get scared!