Princess Sailing Questions 1st timer

BubbaBoat

I'm a single cruiser on the Regal 12/9.  Looking to do absolutely nothing.

1.  Can I bring 1 bottle of wine and 1 case of water when I board the ship prior to sailing off on the trip?

2. This Medallion Ap on my phone is buggy.  It mentions a Medallion for touchless charging, etc....Will I pick up a Medallion when arrive at the cruise port?

3. I will not be taking part in specialty dining.  I'm on the Regal.  Outside of the Main Dining room, do the other inclusive dining options stay up almost 24 hours.

I can see me skipping on the Main Dining room two out of the 4 nights because I might not want to hop out of swim trunks.

4. I plan on using the spa for treatments every day.  Do I tip my masseuse then and there or do I apply my tip to the final bill when the cruise is over?  If I have a 90 minute massage, what's a fair rate to use for tipping?

5. I have 2 COVID self applied test kits.  If I board the ship at noon on the 9th, I must have the negative test results after noon on the 7th.  Is this correct?  Also, will I need to test again once I return to Fort Lauderdale and have that test done before I board the plane?  I won't be getting off the ship the entire time.

Thanks for any advice.

Bubba

Edited by BubbaBoat

• BubbaBoat changed the title to Princess Sailing Questions 1st timer

1.  Can I bring 1 bottle of wine and 1 case of water when I board the ship prior to sailing off on the trip?

Yes, you can bring a bottle at no charge, as long as it's consumed in your cabin. You can bring additional bottles and you they will charge you $20 corkage. You can drink those anywhere on the ship.

As for water, the rules have recently changed, but someone recently said that the case they brought, made it on board. Print out a luggage tag and tape it securely to the case when you hand your bags over to the stevedore.

2. This Medallion Ap on my phone is buggy.  It mentions a Medallion for touchless charging, etc....Will I pick up a Medallion when arrive at the cruise port?

Yes, they will have a medallion for you at check-in.

3. I will not be taking part in specialty dining.  I'm on the Regal.  Outside of the Main Dining room, do the other inclusive dining options stay up almost 24 hours.

I can see me skipping on the Main Dining room two out of the 4 nights because I might not want to hop out of swim trunks.

Only the International Cafe in the Piazza is open 24 hours per day

4. I plan on using the spa for treatments every day.  Do I tip my masseuse then and there or do I apply my tip to the final bill when the cruise is over?  If I have a 90 minute massage, what's a fair rate to use for tipping?

A gratuity is already added to the cost of the treatment.

5. I have 2 COVID self applied test kits.  If I board the ship at noon on the 9th, I must have the negative test results after noon on the 7th.  Is this correct?  Also, will I need to test again once I return to Fort Lauderdale and have that test done before I board the plane?  I won't be getting off the ship the entire time.

Make sure your self test is one that is witnessed by a proctor vie video chat.

A test for your return home depends on where you live. If you are a US citizen, no 2nd test is required unless something has changed recently.

Edited by CineGraphic
  • Like 3

are your covid-19 tests the type that you need to log into a website and someone monitors the testing? ( see above )

spa services include a 18% tip already added to the charge ( see above )

case of water is ... iffy ... one poster recently got away with bringing 2 cases, but the "rule" is no plastic bottles brought onboard

Edited by voljeep
  • Like 1

Dining. DRs are open each day for breakfast & dinner. Also open for lunch on sea days. Buffet open around 6am to 11pm each day. Never closes during that time. International cafe open 24/7. Alfredo's open 11am until late evening every day. Waiter served pizza and other items. Room service no charge basically 24 hours. Poolside grill & pizza open every day 11am until late evening. The ocean ready app has food selections that can be ordered for delivery anywhere on the ship.

• Like 2

Officially you can no longer bring on bottled water. It's a plastic bottle thing. You can carry on 12 cans of water. You should be able to pre order water which will be in your cabin. Was not overpriced. Do you have the "plus" fare? If yes, you can get unlimited non alcoholic beverages. Including water, plus 15 alcoholic drinks per day. Sitting poolside an option to try is the Ocean Now app. Selections of food available delivered to you anywhere  on the ship. Your medallion provides the waiter with you location.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, skynight said:

Officially you can no longer bring on bottled water. It's a plastic bottle thing. You can carry on 12 cans of water. You should be able to pre order water which will be in your cabin. Was not overpriced. Do you have the "plus" fare? If yes, you can get unlimited non alcoholic beverages. Including water, plus 15 alcoholic drinks per day. Sitting poolside an option to try is the Ocean Now app. Selections of food available delivered to you anywhere  on the ship. Your medallion provides the waiter with you location.

My travel summary says 12 500 ml - bottles so I’m curious what will be delivered.

1 hour ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

My travel summary says 12 500 ml - bottles so I’m curious what will be delivered.

You should get exactly that.

The prohibition on bringing soda and water on board in bottles is for passengers. Princess still supplies water in plastic bottles.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BubbaBoat said:

The test can be taken anytime on the 7th (or 8th or 9th) as long as the results are back by chcek-in time. The earliest is anytime two days before the cruise, not 48 hours.

If you are flying internationally after the cruise Princess will perform the required test at no cost. It might be on board or it might be on land right after you disembark and claim your luggage.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, skynight said:

I'm not so sure they're concerned about the plastic bottles as they are about people smuggling on liquor since it's easy to empty a water bottle & refill it.

After all they give out plastic bottles of water to the people with the beverage package. 

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I'm not so sure they're concerned about the plastic bottles as they are about people smuggling on liquor since it's easy to empty a water bottle & refill it.

After all they give out plastic bottles of water to the people with the beverage package. 

Believe it is a combo issue. Elimination or control of plastic waste and the desire to reduce carry on in favor of the plus fares.

2 hours ago, skynight said:

Believe it is a combo issue. Elimination or control of plastic waste and the desire to reduce carry on in favor of the plus fares.

If that were so then they should be distributing their water in paper containers, not plastic. 

36 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

If that were so then they should be distributing their water in paper containers, not plastic. 

It is so. While water is not easily obtainable in cans, soda is. Soda brought on board is limited in the passage contract to cans. Pre shut down no restriction on soda bottles. I think plastic bottles on board will phase out over time, or the ship's ability to handle the empties will improve.

12 hours ago, skynight said:

It is so. While water is not easily obtainable in cans, soda is. Soda brought on board is limited in the passage contract to cans. Pre shut down no restriction on soda bottles. I think plastic bottles on board will phase out over time, or the ship's ability to handle the empties will improve.

Although soda is available in cans, once opened it cannot be closed again. Soda in a bottle can be closed again after being opened.

Before the shutdown there was no limit on the number of cans you could bring aboard. Now there is a limit of 12/person.

Water is available in paper cartons with a cap to close the carton once opened. If this was an issue with the amount of plastic, Princess would supply water in the paper cartons but, so far, has chosen not to. I assume this is because water in cartons cost Princess more than water in plastic.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2021 at 4:54 PM, voljeep said:

are your covid-19 tests the type that you need to log into a website and someone monitors the testing? ( see above )

spa services include a 18% tip already added to the charge ( see above )

case of water is ... iffy ... one poster recently got away with bringing 2 cases, but the "rule" is no plastic bottles brought onboard

It is becoming increasingly normal to buy water in cans rather than plastic nowadays, presumably there would be no problem with a crate of cans?

Edited by jimbo1683

I think everyone covered most everything.  Room service is also available 24 hours.  I believe after a certain time (11:00 PM maybe) the items become somewhat limited.  You can order on your tv or through the medallion app (if your phone wasn't so buggy lol).  You should get some help with getting your phone working because you can order food and drinks poolside with your medallion app on your phone.  Snazzy!

On 12/4/2021 at 10:54 AM, CineGraphic said:

Yes, you can bring a bottle at no charge, as long as it's consumed in your cabin. You can bring additional bottles and you they will charge you $20 corkage. You can drink those anywhere on the ship.

As for water, the rules have recently changed, but someone recently said that the case they brought, made it on board. Print out a luggage tag and tape it securely to the case when you hand your bags over to the stevedore.

Yes, they will have a medallion for you at check-in.

Only the International Cafe in the Piazza is open 24 hours per day

A gratuity is already added to the cost of the treatment.

Make sure your self test is one that is witnessed by a proctor vie video chat.

A test for your return home depends on where you live. If you are a US citizen, no 2nd test is required unless something has changed recently.

I have to say folks like you make it fun as heck to be a part of this group.  I just took a look for S & Gs and saw your reply to a newbie, and am amazed

Salute!

• Thanks 1