Cursing with Unvax’ed Infant

c5marine

Looking for experiences or observations…

I understand we would not be able to get off a ship without a sponsored tour or at CoCo Cay. More interested in onboard experiences.  Since one member is not vaccinated does that effectively mean you sit in the unvaccinated section for everything?  

Any impact (negative) (meaning difficult to use benefits of a suite) if an infant is unvaccinated?

3 minutes ago, c5marine said:

I understand we would not be able to get off a ship without a sponsored tour or at CoCo Cay. More interested in onboard experiences.  Since one member is not vaccinated does that effectively mean you sit in the unvaccinated section for everything?  

Any impact (negative) (meaning difficult to use benefits of a suite) if an infant is unvaccinated?

Unvaccinated CAN get off at Coco Cay, no restrictions

As long as the unvaccinated passenger is present, then the entire party is treated as unvaccinated, and subject to the limitations as such.  If the unvaccinated party is not with you (perhaps in Adventure Ocean) then you could take advantage of a vaccinated venue.

With regards to suite benefits, I do no think there would be any impact; I know coastal kitchen is opened to everyone regardless of vaccination status; the acceptability of taking an infant there is a different discussion, I have no opinion, but many will.

• Like 1

Concur w/ all above.  Had unvaxed grandson w/ us -- ate in unvaxed Dining Room (believe our scheduled time was 5:30pm).  Had him in Coastal Kitchen (had headphones & device which kept him occupied so no interruptions to those around us).  His parents went off on tours (sponsored) w/ him and then at another port left grandson with us while they went off on their own.  All of us were together on Coco Cay - no issues anywhere.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, c5marine said:

You are only treated as unvaxxed when the baby is with you. Vaxxed only venues are typically those you would not bring the baby anyways. 

Depending on ship, some shows are vaxxed only. And on some ships you may be relegated to the balcony in the theater if the baby is with you. 

Not what you asked, but worth consideration. Someone posted from liberty their 12 month old was in the nursery and ran a temperature from teething. Had to have a covid test and the family is quarantined to their cabin until they disembark. They said luckily they have a nice cabin and got free internet and room service. .. normally a teething baby with a temperature they might not quarantine the whole family. Idk.  Now days the baby had to be tested onboard for covid. And I guess the whole family. 

I'm not sure I would put a baby in the nursery after reading this. 

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Not what you asked, but worth consideration. Someone posted from liberty their 12 month old was in the nursery and ran a temperature from teething. Had to have a covid test and the family is quarantined to their cabin until they disembark. They said luckily they have a nice cabin and got free internet and room service. .. normally a teething baby with a temperature they might not quarantine the whole family. Idk.  Now days the baby had to be tested onboard for covid. And I guess the whole family. 

In Feb 2020 on boarding day of our Allure cruise we took our then 2.5 and 6 month old daughters to play in the free play area up in Adventure Ocean. Place was packed on day 1 which was great as the kids got rid of all their energy and had a great sleep that night. Fast forward a few days and they're both running fevers and throwing up in bed and not eating and not drinking much(kids get sick). We had 2 nights and 3 days of tylenol, pedialyte, and bananas. Night 3 at dinner they're eating everything in sight and the next day having a blast at the H2O zone.....neither were 100% yet but definitely feeling much better. 

Looking back, we're convinced they had Covid.

We got fresh sheets and towels one night in the middle of the night but no one was quarantined or asked to see the Dr or anything. If that happened today it would have been the end of our cruise. 

My point is this, kids get sick, all the time, especially kids in daycare as ours were/are. Having said that kids can also run slight fevers when teething as you have stated. So I agree with you that I also wouldn't be putting my kids in the nursery on board any time soon.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the replies.  If we did cruise we would likely not use the nursery anyway (have not even used a babysitter yet!). More curious as to what we either miss out in or how we would be treated different. 

@c5marine If at all possible, and if not already booked, I would hold off any cruise with any child under 5 at this time who can not be vaccinated. The hoops and hassles are too high and too much to truly enjoy the time on vacation. Which means your vacation was not really a vacation. 

Add in the fact that most people who have unvaccinated children have been posting about their negative experiences with the children’s club post COVID and the feeling of being second class citizens, if I had the opportunity to cancel/reschedule, I would seriously look into it.

Edited by binro01
  • Like 1

We cruised in September on MSC with unvaccinated children  (before the vaccine for 5-11 yo’s was approved). Two things were different for the kids. They had to take an additional Covid test at the terminal before boarding, and they were not allowed to go in certain venues (gym, outdoor adults-only deck, and some lounges). But our kids would not frequent those anyway so that requirement didn’t have an impact on our cruise. Otherwise, everybody had to abide by the same protocols regardless of vaccination status. 

Overall we had a fantastic time and we don’t regret for one second taking this cruise with unvaccinated children. They were allowed to go ashore in Ocean Cay with no restrictions ( the only port in our 3 night itinerary) and we even took a jet ski excursion as a family which was the highlight of this cruise .

Each cruise line has their own protocols so read the fine print. For example, Carnival allows children in limited numbers but you need to pay out of your own pocket for their additional Covid test, something we didn’t have to do when we sailed in September on MSC. We attended activities and venues that we normally frequent, including the theatre, main dining room, water slides and ropes course. Even the kids club was open and our kids went for an hour or two a few nights. 

If you choose to cruise, have an absolutely fantastic time. For us, it was the right thing to do, and it proved to be a much needed vacation after a cruise hiatus of over a year and a half. . 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 2

Just checking that your infant will be older than 6 months or older the day you embark on your cruise (this is the youngest a child can be for the type of cruise I am guessing you are on).

Also, I am also guessing that you know that the infant needs to be on the manifest (a paying registered guest, or a registered as part of kids cruise free promotion).  I only bring this up because if the baby isn't on the manifest, baby gets denied (this actually happened).  Also, make sure you have the state issued birth certificate, and not a hospital issued certificate.(with footprints). 

On 12/4/2021 at 10:57 AM, c5marine said:

Easy answer for on board, you are all considered unvaccinated for all activities, dining etc. as a result of course you won’t get all the benefits of the suite.  Do some research.

On 12/4/2021 at 11:45 AM, firefly333 said:

Why would anyone cruise with an infant under these conditions?  Because they want a vacation I suppose.  Lots of other options without all these parents need a cruise hoops.

I'm guessing all the folks that are saying don't cruise with your unvaccinated under 5-year old's are either childless or are afraid of unvaccinated children?  I'm sorry but, having two kids, one between 5-11 who is fully vaxxed and a 1-year-old who can't be vaxxxed, the restrictions arn't that high that it makes a vacation unenjoyable.  I don't know where that's coming from.  Yes, you have to take cruise line excursions unless we leave the 1-year-old behind with grandma/grandpa, who cares?  I'm not gallivanting off with my one-year-old on crazy excursions anyways.  Oh my gosh they can't go to the suite lounge because they are unvaxxed.  Again, who cares... I don't want my crying always hungry one-year-old in there anyways.  Get a life!  People need to go on living.  There arn't a million extra hoops, they get tested like everyone else, get a lovely wrist band that keeps them from going places where they normally arn't anyways.  Wait until you live through the experience to comment, it's really not that bad.  I would go on to say, I've enjoyed cruising with my kids more now than ever.  Fewer kids in the onboard splash areas, chairs for all of our bags and day things, people ACTUALLY washing their hands so a lack of noro! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Easy answer for on board, you are all considered unvaccinated for all activities, dining etc. as a result of course you won’t get all the benefits of the suite.  Do some research.

Isn't that what asking the question here is? 

• Like 3