Problem on the breakaway in NO

seaman11

People were posting on The face place yesterday including video with the announcement of testing everyone. They couched it in the new CDC re-entry rules, and not saying anything about an outbreak. They had people go for testing floor by floor and everyone said it was no big deal.  

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

I find that weird too, everyone has a smart phone these days. They are at home port. Someone on board you would think would post something.  

I was thinking the same thing… when something bad happens usually the cruisers onboard breaks the news not the news media.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, TrumpyNor said:

The large majority of cruisers on board a cruise ship at any given time have never even heard about CruiseCritic.com.....

Also, I cannot find a Roll Call for this sailing, if one ever existed.  There are a couple of mentions on the 5 December Roll Call.

• Like 1

It is what  it is now risk even going to walmart. We got some ppl that faked the vacc card and some didnt get a booster im sure some not being careful in everyday life. My sister lives in texas and she has gotten it like 4 times now with the last one very bad with bad breathing issues.  Yes I do travel a lot but I do follow protocols dispite vacc and booster and testing. 

Edited by seaman11
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NavArch64 said:

While any number of COVID19 cases aboard ship are cause for concern, according to CDC data from 12/2/21, 23 cruise ships operating in U.S. waters including Norwegian Breakaway have at least 10 active cases onboard.

I think if the color is yellow, it could also mean the ship failed to submit their weekly EDC report to the CDC.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, seemoreroyals said:

We just got back from walking down to pier.   Talked to several passengers getting off ship.  They acted like it was no big deal and seemed surprised we were concerned.

Next, walked over to testing.  2nd floor Marriot about a block or two away.  They said they would begin testing as scheduled at 9am.  So it appears we are to test as scheduled.  Will share more after we get back from testing.

Have you been able to drop off your luggage yet? We're about to head down there

Local news reporting that some passengers were informed about cases, but others were not.  As mentioned above, the testing was presented as routine.  However, passengers were supplied with rapid testing kits as they debarked, according to report.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, CruiseMH said:

If these people were tested at time of embarkation and were negative then they must have got infected during the cruise means during the port stays.

So i would assume that if any changed to the protocols are made then it would be that individual excursions will not be allowed any more for future cruises and only ship excursions.

Anyway,looking forward to the outcome of the now following investigations.

Ahhhhh.  No. Nothing to substantiate that conclusion. Incubation for COVID is 2-14 days. More likely people partying in the French Quarter before getting on the ship (another unsubstantiated claim). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, BennyBrun said:

I was thinking the same thing… when something bad happens usually the cruisers onboard breaks the news not the news media.

We ran out of cream cheese on the liberty of the seas during harvey I posted about it. Lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

We checked  into test at 915.  Cleared about 20 minutes  later.  Now just waiting in our hotel.   

We can verify that it was extremely  foggy as we watched for ship to dock this morning.   Quite possible  fog was part of delay docking.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Ahhhhh.  No. Nothing to substantiate that conclusion. Incubation for COVID is 2-14 days. More likely people partying in the French Quarter before getting on the ship (another unsubstantiated claim). 

So how many crew could have been exposed and are not even aware, it’s not like staff can work in a bubble, personally I would cancel the oncoming cruise and isolate staff until pure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, mame42 said:

Local news reporting that some passengers were informed about cases, but others were not.  As mentioned above, the testing was presented as routine.  However, passengers were supplied with rapid testing kits as they debarked, according to report.

I like how the news media is playing into this… some cruisers never knows what is going on the ship even if the announcement is blasting on the loud speaker throughout the whole ship unless they are told in person and even that is not a guarantee.

• Like 1

We just got off the ship.  They totally mislead everyone saying they had to test everyone due to a new CDC reg.  Everyone was tested yesterday starting about 12 or 12:30 pm.  Very orderly and went fast.  We weren't aware of any positive cases until seeing the news article this morning. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Basis of this claim?

We sailed on an international cruise where 100% of the passengers were tested before disembarkation. They had 3 Eurofin nurses along with a few non-medical helpers managing reservations, checking people in and keeping people organized. Not a big deal. 

Basis is the Breakaway is delayed today because they have to test everyone.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, At Sea At Peace said:

Well, this will be an interesting story to follow.

How many tested positive on disembarkation?  Level of symptoms?  What were the protocols (car, hotel, air, etc.)?

Impact on subsequent cruise embarkation?

Those experiencing the above, please chime in when you can.

Thanks.

The protocols said if you drove, you could drive back home to quarantine. I'm 10 hours from new orleans so I drive to the port. 

Read it here people could drive home.

20211205_090533951.jpeg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, trish99 said:

We just got off the ship.  They totally mislead everyone saying they had to test everyone due to a new CDC reg.  Everyone was tested yesterday starting about 12 or 12:30 pm.  Very orderly and went fast.  We weren't aware of any positive cases until seeing the news article this morning. 

That's not good. Many people will return home without suspecting that they had been infected. With perfect contact tracing, we would have the true picture of how many were infected onboard and on land.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, trish99 said:

Thank you for the update.  We were wondering when someone onboard was going to say something!!!  I assume they used the excuse to not create a panic situation onboard.  I can’t imagine what it would be like if they simply stated what happened.  Did they also hand out at home test as well when you disembark?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, trish99 said:

No testing today for the general public disembarking. 

But everyone was tested once they realized that there was a problem - whether it was the day before disembarking, or the day of isn't the issue.

Question - were all passenger going to be tested anyway since the ship travelled to foreign ports, or did this come as a surprise to passengers yesterday that they would be tested before getting off the Breakaway?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, trish99 said:

It seems crazy, NCL would take that position. News is already out. Keep us posted on how you are doing 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, milolii said:

It seems crazy, NCL would take that position. News is already out. Keep us posted on how you are doing 

Seems like the requirement to test everyone on the ship came from NOLA. There have been plenty of cases on ships over the past many months with no disembarking testing requirements. In any case, seems like they already completed the testing and the next cruise is going on as normal. Seems ridiculous that this even made the news. 

• Like 1

I can only hope that, for most all of us, the objective is to have the fewest people become asymptomatic positive with COVID19, the fewest people get sick from COVID19, the fewest people go to the hospital with COVID19, and the fewest people die from COVID19 as possible. Whatever health protocols that lead to that result deserve our support and certainly get my support. The important question on this thread is did NCL do their best in this regard?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

For anyone leaving today looking for updates.

We got here at 11. 2 hours after our scheduled time, tested and checked in, now waiting to board.

Make sure to go drop your luggage near the whale wall with the people over there by the carts, makes testing a lot easier. One lady was struggling to carry everything through the testing center.

A lot of walking to get to the test, I have a bad back and was struggling, so if you have an issue take your time and be prepared to walk a good bit and wait in line.

Line wasn't bad but I'd imagine it's going to pick up soon once all the people waiting for noon arrive.

Good luck

• Like 3