Celebrity vs Princess for 30-somethings

Hedgeclipperz

I've been fortunate enough to sail many Princess and Celebrity ships and we enjoy both lines.  We prefer Celebrity slightly for a few reasons.  Each of Celebrity's class of ships (M-class; S-class and E-class) are different so it's easy to find a ship that we prefer.  My favorite ship in the Celebrity fleet is Reflection.  We will sail on her twice in 2022.  She has the best sunset bar (it doesn't sit against the back of the ship but was rotated to sit in the middle of the deck so everyone has an oceanview at this bar.  I love Ensemble Lounge and the specialty restaurants on Reflection....just enough to enjoy one or two nights in a specialty restaurant.  

While the Edge class ships are beautiful, I truly dislike the infinite verandas.  As others have said, it's not a veranda at all.  Think bus or train window that goes up and down. That's what you get in these rooms with a very tight sitting area that barely fits two chairs.  The only true verandas, unless you are in a suite, on the Edge class are the sunset verandas and they go quickly.  The Edge class ships definitely have a very modern vibe but they don't have any of the smaller, more intimate lounges to listen to music in the evening which we like.  We much prefer the S-class ships over the E-class ships.

As for Princess, we have always enjoyed the Princess product offering.  If I'm going to Alaska, I'll only sail Princess because Celebrity doesn't go to Glacier Bay.  Princess ships have always seemed more crowded than Celebrity ships and the newer Princess ships feel even more this way.  My challenge with Princess is that all their ships seem the same to me.  There are some good things about that but every now and then I'd like to be on a different ship.  Princess always had good food, but so does Celebrity.  Some days and outlets are better than others but both are good for the price point you are paying.  We've never had a bad Princess cruise.  We just prefer Celebrity a little more. Although, the pizza on Princess has always been the best!  🙂

Our daughter and son-in-law are in their mid-30s and have cruised both lines with us and they thoroughly enjoy both.  I don't think you can go wrong.  Good luck with making a decision.

Oh, one other thing....someone mentioned Virgin....if budget is a concern, Virgin would be out of the question.  It's a much higher price point than either Celebrity or Princess.

• Like 3

I’m 27 and would say go for Celebrity! I’ve done Royal and Princess, and although I love the activities on RCI, the service, food and ambience is far better on Celebrity. Amazing cocktails, coffees and all kinds of healthy smoothies and juices (if that’s your kind of thing!). They have a nightclub onboard, and regularly host silent discos which are such good fun! The decor is also more modern than Princess- although Princess ships are beautiful. 

I have both the Silhouette and the Beyond booked, and I’m looking forward to them both so much! 

6 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

BTW, did you post the same question on the Princess Board?  Did they say Celebrity was better?)

Yes, I copied and pasted the question on both boards. It's been kinda interesting watching the answers- because (I guess not totally surprisingly) the Celebrity board is voting Celebrity, and the Princess board is voting Princess, LOL! Princess board is particularly of the opinion that Celebrity has an older crowd, and that Princess has more a "relaxed" vibe. 

Here is the link if you want to read along: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2817243-celebrity-vs-princess-for-30-somethings/#comment-62252240

I have a feeling I will just need to try out both at some point! 😁

I'm 37 and my husband is 40 and we prefer Celebrity. Even on a seven day cruise we do typically lean quite a bit younger than most passengers, but there is always a young-at-heart group to be found around the ship, whether it be at the pool or in the venues open late at night. The fact that Celebrity and Princess are you two contenders rather than something like Celebrity vs. NCL would lead me to think you would be happy on either line. We find certain features and the overall look and feel of Celebrity ships (S and E class) get the nudge from us. I don't like the cabin layout of most Princess staterooms, the tiny balcony, and although it is minor, they are dead-set on using shower curtains in the bathrooms which I think are just gross. 

I did see some coverage from the past Summit sailing and it did look like the average age was significantly lower than I am used to seeing. Although that is the intent with those 4/5 night cruises. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Hedgeclipperz said:

Hold the phone...Celebrity has peloton bikes?! 🤩

6 of them on Reflection. This pic I sent to a girlfriend at home with the text “ugh I hate spin!” 😂 They also have live instructor led spin, slow burn and flow yoga, a HIIT class like F45, and guided meditation that is really nice on sea days. And a Goop detox smoothie. Sometimes Aqua Class isn’t much more than a regular balcony and it includes 3 workout classes that are normally $20 each. They also have some free workout classes and I think the Pelotons are free. 

FDD9157E-2E3C-42DF-842D-3350369D8C69.jpeg

Edited by mackjack9139
  • Like 1

My 2 cents.  We are in our 40s, but sailed on Celebrity in our 30s.  We have 1 Princess and 3 Celebrity under our belts, and prefer Celebrity due to a few factors.  As noted, the rooms on Celebrity are slightly bigger, and the shower has a door rather than a curtain.  Princess' closets are bigger though, if you need that kind of thing. 

We found the food VARIETY to be better on Celebrity, both MDR and buffet (buffet by a LONG shot).  The quality was good on both, but the choices were much more blah on Princess(very American centric, not much in the way of ethnic offerings).  You can check this yourself by downloading both apps, and looking at the menus for sailings that are underway now.  One example, on the "gala" night on princess, there was no steak to be found, but they had a burger.  (on a formal night?)

I think the lounges on Princess were bigger, but there were fewer of them, and one of the main ones was inexplicably used for bingo all the time...

Passenger wise cruises are always an older crowd, but I think the Celebrity crowd is more diverse and active than the Princess crowd, for what its worth(My pictures from our Princess cruise show a very homogenous crowd).  Also you won't find a place like the Martini bar or world class bar on Princess from our limited experience. 

MUTS on Princess is great, they even come around with popcorn and pizza while you watch a late night movie.  

TL;DR:  We would use Princess for a quick local getaway(in SoCal) with no expectations, but prefer Celebrity for most cruises as a better experience.

• Like 2

I'm in with the crowd choosing Celebrity over Princess, especially with my experience this past October on Princess.  We sailed Emerald Princess on her first voyage post Covid from Los Angeles to Miami through the new Panama Canal channel.  Since this was only my second cruise on Princess - the first one 27 years ago - perhaps I shouldn't. be too critical, but I thought the food in the main dining room was (gasp!) terrible.  Not much in the way of seasoning and almost everything was overcooked!

I prefer the vibe on Celebrity, and find the demographics mixed, with all ages represented.  The bars are lively, the entertainment and bands, combos quite good. And from what I've read and seen pictures of the Edge, their "infinity verandas" are a poor joke on their passengers.  They are, basically, an extension of the stateroom with the full wall of doors opening onto the 'veranda', which has a full width 'window' which opens half way down to make the 'veranda'.  And the bridge has control of the windows in inclement weather.  So you won't find me on Celebrity's E class ships, either now or in the future!  But all the others are great.

We've cruised extensively on both lines.  Celebrity has a lot less children and young families in my experience.  They are a cut above if you choose a more white glove experience.  I must admit, it is our favorite cruiseline and we've tried several other ones, too.

However, a lot of what you are asking depends on how long your cruise is and what time of year you will be going.  On cruises over 10 days, you will not find a lot of people in their 30's onboard celebrity ... again, in my experience,  whereas you will see several of that demographic on Princess.  Now, anything over 2 weeks, you probably won't see a lot of that age group cruising on either line.  I recall a 15 night cruise on Princess and everyone kept referring to us as the kids onboard and we were both well into our forties at that time.  

I have no complaints about the food on either line.  I am not a red meat eater so I might not be the best judge but the seafood and chicken dishes I've had recently on Princess were awesome.  I think the specialty restaurants on Celebrity, although more pricey, are definitely the winner.  

The standard cabins on Celebrity all have a small seating area and the regular cabins on Princess do not (unless you go for the deluxe balcony cabins on the Royal class).  The minisuites on Princess are similar to the regular balcony cabins on Celebrity, maybe just a tad larger.  But, Princess has a better closet design.  In stateroom bathrooms go to Celebrity, hands down!!  

The beds on Princess are absolutely the best!!!  Also, the Princess Plus Package, which includes the drink packag, gratuities and WiFi can be added for $40 a day pp, which is a deal and a half.  You can also stack your obc on Princess, shareholders, future cruise deposits, military, etc ... 

Entertainment is good on both.  Crew and staff are excellent on both!  

Hopefully, some of that info is helpful!  We certainly enjoy both lines and have stuck with those pretty consistently in the last several years.  

• Like 1

So here's the funny thing. Most all the people responding are over 50 (some far more so) and are answering the OPs question from that perspective.  Also, they are comparing trips from many ears ago. Neither cruise line is the same as even 5 years ago. And...it entirely depends upon what ship, what class cabin, the itinerary,, the length of the cruise, and the time of year sailing.

Without all that detail (and throw in the mix covid and how each line is managing that)  no one can even guess as to answer your question all.

Of course you will far more Celebrity enthusiasts on the Celebrity board, and vice versa on the Proncess (or any other board).

Doesn't matter what you pick, you make your own good time.

14 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

...Of course you will far more Celebrity enthusiasts on the Celebrity board, and vice versa on the Princess (or any other board).

Doesn't matter what you pick, you make your own good time.

I would imagine the point of asking the question on both boards would be to solicit partisan opinions from the fans and followers of each, then try to sort through everything and figure out what applies to one's own situation. Interesting approach to deciding (correcting for sampling bias is a bit tricky, even when trying to obtain unbiased samples, and really tricky when one knows the sample is biased when it is collected), but we all make decision based on whatever method feels comfortable to us.

I can only suggest adding reviews from apparently unbiased third parties, perhaps one of the travel Web sites or a news outlet that does reviews. (Assuming that this hasn't already been done.)

• Like 1

since you list food as a consideration - Check out the always available menus in the main dining rooms.  The new york strip and escargots on Celebrity are reliable options for us.  Princess seemed to do mostly roast type red meats.  Ate alot of seafood on Princess which was good.  Specialty restaurant is more affordable on Princess.  Buffet better on Celebrity.  Room service on Celebrity includes delivery from Main Dining Room.

Celebrity typically has larger cabins in the lower categories with more seating.

Either works but if all is the same price and itinerary, Celebrity is our choice.

• Like 1

Sailed Celebrity 3 times EDGE S2 x 2, Solstice balcony x1).  Ships are beautiful.  Service is exemplary.  Overall, probably the best food on any cruise line I’ve ever experienced (sailed MSC, Royal, Carnival, NCL, HAL).

Age groups?  Both of the EDGE sailings had a wide mix of ages sailing….mid-20s to octogenarians.   Very few (as in single digits) children I’ve noticed on any Celebrity sailing.  Compared to Carnival or Royal, there isn’t much for kids to do on a Celebrity ship.

In fairness, I’ve never sailed Princess.  But, I consider them to be similar to HAL, which I have sailed.  HAL is owned by Carnival, as is Princess.  The COVID requirements are safer and less intrusive on Celebrity than Princess (or Carnival).

1 hour ago, happy cruzer said:

since you list food as a consideration - Check out the always available menus in the main dining rooms.  The new york strip and escargots on Celebrity are reliable options for us.  Princess seemed to do mostly roast type red meats.  Ate alot of seafood on Princess which was good.  Specialty restaurant is more affordable on Princess.  Buffet better on Celebrity.  Room service on Celebrity includes delivery from Main Dining Room.

Celebrity typically has larger cabins in the lower categories with more seating.

Either works but if all is the same price and itinerary, Celebrity is our choice.

The always menu is not available in Blu on some ships. Room service delivery from the MDR on Celebrity is only available for suite guests.

40 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

The always menu is not available in Blu on some ships. Room service delivery from the MDR on Celebrity is only available for suite guests.

Never sailed in higher than a inside on Celebrity and have dinner from the MDR via room service several times just call when the dining room opens; maybe changed since pandemic.  Been told they do it for lunch too when the dining room is open for lunch but never experienced that.

Dual 35ers here currently on Edge. While we'd much prefer to sail with an older crowd vs. kids/partiers (20 somethings), the immediate impression we had was that we were on a retiree cruise. We're definitely not the only younger "kids" on board as there are quite a few other young couples but hands down the under 45/50 age group is in the minority.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that depending on what you're looking for as the few other passengers we've chatted with were all friendly. We happen to prefer it this way personally since we're on vacation and want to relax. I'm extremely high strung and a horribly light sleeper, so I dread the thought of younger groups partying all night long in the hallways or in a nearby cabin. So far the only thing to spring me awake is the sound of rustling sheets and a jet doing a fly-by 🙂

We've not yet done Princess, only Royal & Celebrity so far so unfortunately can only offer insight into Celebrity. Feel free to message me i you have any specific questions you may not want to post, or anything else in particular!

• Like 1

On 12/5/2021 at 11:29 AM, Hedgeclipperz said:

What are your thoughts on Celebrity vs Princess for young adults w/o children? (30 year olds)

I've done RCCL and Disney, and would like to try a new cruise line for my next trip. 

GOOD FOOD and SERVICE being my biggest elements on a good cruise! I am not a late night partier (in bed by 10:30 LOL), and I'm not a fan of belly-flop contests by the pool....but also don't want to be the youngest cruiser by 20 years and feel out of place. 

Looking at cruises on the Celebrity Reflection, the Celebrity Sunset, and the Sky Princess and the Caribbean Princess, if that makes a difference. (out of Fort Lauderdale)

Any thoughts would be great! Thanks! 

Have sailed on both Celebrity and Princess.  IMO Celebrity much better.  Much better food and service and the entire ships ambiance on Celebrity nicer.   We were very dissatisfied with our princess cruises.  Sailed on the Caribbean Princess and Crown Princess.  We have been on most of the celebrity ships multiple times.  Favorites are the S class-reflection and silhouette.  We also enjoyed the edge.

On 12/6/2021 at 5:12 AM, Ipeeinthepools said:

I don't want to turn you question into a debate about the virtues of the E-class ships, but if you are looking for a balcony please check out many of the other discussions about E-class balconies.  They are not true balconies.  In fact, on some newer MSC ships, the same type of cabin is described as an ocean view cabin.  The E-class ships were designed with a focus on the Suite guests and a "ship within a ship" concept to focus on the Suite guests.  The E-class ships really do not offer anything special for the n0n-suite guest.

The two lines probably have more similarities than differences, you may want to consider the choice of itinerary into your choice and you may want to consider the cost of each cruise.  Perhaps you can find a better sale on one of the cruise lines.

Good luck with your choice, I'm sure you will enjoy either cruise line.

(BTW, did you post the same question on the Princess Board?  Did they say Celebrity was better?)

The edge class does have 4 different free dinning rooms a,so really enjoyed entertainment on edge, agree should post on Princess also. Balcony even on suites are small compared to older celebrity ships.

Late 30's cruisers here, fresh off the Celebrity Edge in an aft sky suite. Due to kids it was our first cruise since the Celebrity Summit 7 years ago, and the Crown Princess 10 years ago. 

The crowd is definitely older but it doesn't bother us. Perhaps the biggest downside, Quinn Johner aside, is the music being a bit tailored to the older crowd but entertainment is low on our priority list compared to Food, Cocktails & Wine lists, pool/sundeck, & ambiance/design. Apparently I also need to add Service to that list because I've never cared much about it as my wife & I are very easy going.

The service on the Edge this past week was the most incredible I've ever experienced. Celebrity was smart in that they got us to pay up for a sky suite but it really was a step above anything we have previously experienced on RCC or Princess or even Celebrity. I also really applaud Celebrity's work on the cocktail lists, even if not all are a slam dunk. If you can find an acceptable rate I would really recommend it for Luminae & the Retreat sundeck/pool/bar.

Edited by bauermj
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, bauermj said:

Late 30's cruisers here, fresh off the Celebrity Edge in an aft sky suite. Due to kids it was our first cruise since the Celebrity Summit 7 years ago, and the Crown Princess 10 years ago. 

The crowd is definitely older but it doesn't bother us. Perhaps the biggest downside, Quinn Johner aside, is the music being a bit tailored to the older crowd but entertainment is low on our priority list compared to Food, Cocktails & Wine lists, pool/sundeck, & ambiance/design. Apparently I also need to add Service to that list because I've never cared much about it as my wife & I are very easy going.

The service on the Edge this past week was the most incredible I've ever experienced. Celebrity was smart in that they got us to pay up for a sky suite but it really was a step above anything we have previously experienced on RCC or Princess or even Celebrity. I also really applaud Celebrity's work on the cocktail lists, even if not all are a slam dunk. If you can find an acceptable rate I would really recommend it for Luminae & the Retreat sundeck/pool/bar.

The one line which we prefer over celebrity for suite perks is MSc yacht club, lounge is great . But did love edge suites , we had a sky suite then did a move up to a penthouse which was totally amazing.

I've been hearing the younger folks are various threads concerned the music is being tailored to the "older crowd" which I'm assuming includes folks like me in our late 60s. I feel your pain. When we first started cruising back in 2012 on HAL, we were saying the same thing. For many of the evening shows, their production shows were centered around Frank Sinatra, Count Basie and the Big Band Sound from the 30s and 40s. After a while, we would ask ourselves, when will it be our turn? Then about 5 years ago, HAL updated their music themes, jumped right over our late 60s-80s music and started targeting the "younger" millennial generation. That's when we switched to Celebrity and Princess. 

So, for us folks in the "older crowd" like my DW and I, shows like Rockumentary as well as many of their other production shows which include music from the late 60s through the 80s we actually know the words to, I'm happy to say it's finally "our turn". 😎

• Like 1

5 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

Thank you! Yesterday I DID try to fall down some rabbit holes and look at MDR menus. I am having a harder time finding new (like, post 2017) menus for Princess MDR, for whatever reason. At least what i'm seeing, it looks like Celebrity dinner food might be more adventurous?  Maybe?