The Daily for Thursday December 09, 2021

richwmn

Today is Christmas Card Day, National Pastry Day, and International Day of Veterinary Medicine

Don't worry over what other people are thinking about you. They're too busy worrying over what you are thinking about them.

Meal suggestion for today - Garlicky Cream Corn Chicken

Drink of the Day - Derby

Wine of the day - Laurent Gauthier 2018 Côte du Py (Morgon) Beaujolais

Destination of the Day - East London South Africa

Ships with Passengers

Amber Cove, Dominicana, Puerto Plata
Nieuw Statendam 08:00 - 17:00

Aruba, Dutch Antilles
Eurodam 08:00 - 16:00

At Sea Caribbean
Nieuw Amsterdam Destination Amber Cove, Domini

Puerto Vallarta MX
Koningsdam

St Kitts KN
Rotterdam

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Atlantic
Noordam

At Sea Pacific
Westerdam Destination Los Angeles CA US eta 12/12

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Long Beach CA US
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Rotterdam NL
Oosterdam Shipyard

1209NAmericaE.thumb.png.04d7bd9e7206e477f3a55a0910deeb47.png

1209NAmericaW.thumb.png.8baf25a824f3d04b04b66f74be66b68f.png

1209Europe.thumb.png.a304a5f70a7c3dc7a90063ebc0512bd3.png

• Like 32
  • Thanks 10

Thank you for the Thursday Daily, Rich.  Love Christmas cards.  I enjoy pastry but must limit it.  A special salute to our veterinarians.  I like the quote but will pass on the cream corn chicken.  I have been to South Africa but never to East London.

Today’s care list:

Strength for Jacqui and healing for Jose
RIP Bob Dole
Welfare of furloughed crews
Seasick Sailor’s friend Walker wthdrawing from cancer treatments
Eruptions in Las Palmas and Indonesia
kakalina with spreading lung cancer in hospice
SrLouisCruisers DMIL in hospice
positive biopsies for summer slope and Mtn2sea
From the rotation:
rafinmd undergoing radiation
Mamaofami’s friend in hospice
Cruisin Terri Autoimmune problem
HAL Sailor DH health issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

5 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
4 days for MissG (Nieuw Statendam  to 1/9)
4 days for Seasick Sailor(Rotterdam to 1/16)
2 days for NCTribeFan and JAM37 (NA to 12/23)
Quartize Cruiser and Heartgrove (Koningsdam to 12/12),_Lindaler (Rotterdam to ½) , Cruisin Terri (Rivie ra to 12/13), Sea Viewer (Allure OTS until 12/19) and Crazy for Cats (NCL Dawn to 12/19)
Welcome home kb4683
Kazu helping her stepson on his mother’s death arrangements
highland cruiser in Vallarta
Konibngsdan Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female staff captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 30
  • Thanks 11

Good morning everyone and thanks for the lists Rich and Roy.  I love getting Christmas cards.  Pastries do deserve a day as do vets, hats off to both. The quote is so true.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds very good.  I haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list today and cheers to everyone celebrating a happy event.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Love Christmas cards, I hope I get some in the mail today.  Yum on Pastry Day.  A big thanks to veterinarians.

That quote is too true.

The meal sounds interesting, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

Hope the drink of the day and wine are tasty too.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful Thursday.  Stay safe.

• Like 25

Good afternoon.

We are in York and the famous York minster.

Thank you for today's daily Rich and Roy for today's lists.

Excellent quote today.

Vet medicine is important for our pets.

Christmas cards are always welcome.

I like chicken but not sure what the drink is.

We have never been to today's port so looking forward to seeing photos.

Prayers for Jacqui,Jose,Roy and everyone else on the care list.

Take care.

Graham.

IMG_20211209_115714.jpg

IMG_20211209_114919.jpg

IMG-20211209-WA0003.jpg

• Like 33
  • Thanks 3

The gremlins are back. 🤬

Thank you Rich & Roy!

Special prayers for Jacqui & Jose. Thinking of you Roy & Terry. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Remember…..

D2B3806B-E130-4AC4-8917-2058AF84B27E.jpeg.b3762045a1bc9732ba50ef21679dfa67.jpeg

Laurent Gauthier 2018 Côte du Py (Morgon)

This beaujolais is elusive, but might be worth hunting down, if you like red, light wines. Several foreign online distributors with pre-shipping prices starting at $13.49. 
Wine Enthusiast- 93

Like so many producers in Morgon, this grower has a piece of the 100-acre Côte du Py. This structured wine is rich, laden with tannins as well as massive black fruits. It has the concentration to age well. Drink from 2021.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.  I've sent all my Christmas cards for this year.  Love pastries, maybe too much.  Happy for Veterinary Medicine for all our fur family members.  I think the quote may be all too true.  The meal sounds good.  Have not been to today's destination.

MAJOR prayers for our care list (Jacqui and Jose) and toasts to those traveling and those with good news.

Please stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Derby:

Ingredients
1 1/2 ounces bourbon
1 ounce grapefruit juice, freshly squeezed
1/2 ounce honey syrup
Garnish: grapefruit twist

Screen Shot 2021-12-09 at 7.29.19 AM.png

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Love Christmas Cards, but I'm ahead of the game, as I sent ours out last week.  I can't make a decent pastry to save my neck, so I buy pre-made pie and tart shells.  Yay for Vet Med people, I know they do wonderful work for pets and other critters.  My step-daughter works as an admin. assistant at the College of Vet Med in our city and keeps sending photos of the adorable kittens and puppies she gets to have wandering around her office.  I don't think I'd get much work done if I was there!

I like today's quote - all too often we worry about what others might think of us.  I saw a quote some time ago that has stuck with me:  "What others think of you is none of your business."  I like that.

A quiet day here on the "frozen tundra" where the temperatures have moderated somewhat.  I think yesterday's snow helped bring the temps up, so it should be a nice day for us.  Not much on the docket except a hair cut for DH, and the search for a turkey for Christmas . . . did you know there's a shortage of them this year?  I can't imagine Christmas without one, so will start phoning some stores to see if they have any in stock.

I like today's menu suggestion, but I think I've had it before; I'm not sure if I got the idea from here or from the internet.  For us, however, our friends are going to Costco today and said they'd bring us a rotisserie chicken on their way back home.  Hot chicken, stir fried vegetables and a coleslaw will be what's on our dinner table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for Jose and his medical team, and for @kazu Jacqui for strength to get through all of this.  We'll raise our glasses to all on the happy list, especially those who are so close to cruising (yes, we're jealous!).  Stay well, wash your hands, be safe, and wear your masks.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 31

Good morning, everyone!   

Special prayers for @kazu Jacqui and Jose.  And I'm celebrating passing the halfway mark with @rafinmd Roy.   You're on the downslope now, Roy.   You got this!

Today's agenda is filled.  I have the pool followed by a visit with my NP for my back issues.  Then I have Zoom meetings.  Lots of Zoom meetings. 

Today's meal sounds really good.  I'd have to cut the corn with some other non starchy vegetables to lower the carb count, but I bet brussels sprouts or broccoli would go well with the dish.  This first recipe sounds great with wine in the sauce and lots of garlic.  Garlic is good for what ails you.   https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/creamed-corn-chicken/Garlic-Butter-Creamed-Corn-Chicken-1-1-700x1050.thumb.jpg.0211a321815bd34ab237f848b919abe0.jpg

This one can be put together quickly for a week night meal.  https://food.theffeed.com/2019/12/03/garlicky-creamed-corn-chicken/

1841003451_GarlicCreamedcornchicken2.jpg.d0578092b0207a28de9e26cf315d7df9.jpg

And here's a take on this recipe from our friends down under.   https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/garlic-butter-bacon-creamy-corn-chicken-recipe/07x1pp5k

garlic-butter-bacon-and-creamy-corn-chicken-160322-2.thumb.jpg.a290d291408f5991257f679f0d6778d2.jpg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4

Motivational-Memes17.jpg

Good Morning Dailyites!  I'm about to attack my day by making breakfast.  I need to actually sign and mail my Christmas cards, and mail what needs to be mailed for Christmas presents to MIL.

Our vet does not let humans into the offices right now,  We tried to take the female feral cat in this past summer.  I worked with her for three years for her to let me pick her up, carry her around and love on her.  BUT we did warn the vet, that she is wild.  No problem they said.  The young assistant came out and took her to get her rabies shot, and about 5 minutes later the office called us while we waited in the car.  They could not give her a rabies shot.  They had opened the door to her cage, she jumped out, attacked the vet in training, climbed up the wall, and try to get into the ceiling.  

The young man brought the cat back out in her cage, tears streaming down his face.   OMG! I said, I am so sorry that you are so hurt by that silly cat.  He said they were not tears of pain, but from laughter.  He had witnessed the transaction, and he hadn't laughed that hard in his life.  They were tears of joy.  He said he had never seen anything so funny in his life. He put the cage back in the car, and said "good kitty". 

Sunrise this morning was pink, red and then orange.  Red sky in the morning, sailors take warning.   We are expecting some violent storms this weekend.  Stay safe everyone.

• Like 25
  • Haha 5

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  I certainly appreciate veterinarians.  My cats maybe not so much.  Luckily for me a vet tech is our pet sitter.  @dfish today’s meal suggestion sounds good.  
We are scheduled to be in Key West today.  Arrival time is 11.  We are planning on getting off the ship and walking around.  It will be interesting to see what has survived the past two years.  The crew on the Dawn seem very happy to have guests on board.  Everyone has been super nice.

• Like 28

9 minutes ago, dfish said:

Today's meal sounds really good.  I'd have to cut the corn with some other non starchy vegetables to lower the carb count, but I bet brussels sprouts or broccoli would go well with the dish. 

Oh my, these DO sound really good. 😋  Had chicken last night so I’ll try one of these later. 

Good morning Daily family! Thank you for our daily report, care and shout out lists, recipes, and all who contribute with pictures, memes. And extra hugs to @kazu and Jose. ❤️

• Like 25

Good morning Rich and fellow Daily-ites. Does anyone know how long Oosterdam will be in the ship yard and what renovations are going on?

Roy thank you for the care and celebration list. Our friend is not responding, but still breathing. 

Our Jacqui, Roy, and Jose are at the top of my prayers this morning. Praying for all who are in need today. Jacqui I'm so sorry to hear of your step son's mom passing. Hoping you can share some comfort to one another. God bless you.

This morning I have a haircut and nail appt. Our friends will bring their sweet little dog by for a sleepover later.

Allen loved his greens, hocks, and cornbread yesterday. He wanted leftovers for lunch today, but I told him his 2nd helping he ate WAS the leftovers.. today will be grilled fish and an Asian salad.

Today is due to be 80 degrees. All my outside chores are done. When I was pulling weeds in the side yard, I noticed something broke through the fence wires and also through our neighbors fence wire. There's also a big burrow hole under our AC unit. Our neighbor thinks it's probably an armadillo. He put the deer camera on the fence last night to check what it may be. I called Claudio to stop by for fence repair and refill the hole under ac..

Lifting up prayers. Tonight celebrations. 

• Like 22

Good morning  everyone.I am so impressed  by the Christmas  card senders in the group.I gave those up a long time ago.I am very fond of our Vet and certainly  appreciate  him.Fred is wary until he gets inside and gets fussed over.

Prayers and  positive thoughts to all that need them especially Jacqui,Jose and Roy. These are difficult  times for many people  but we are not alone.

@dfish,the second recipe looks delicious. I just need to find bacon. @ger_77,turkeys are not plentiful here either but DD ,

a vegetarian, has one in her freezer she found for a ransom at Whole Foods!

• Like 23

Good morning everyone. Interesting collection of days and I love the quote.

Extra prayers for Jacqui and Jose for strength and healing.

Yesterday I started making plans for a family only birthday party for Sam early next month. I hired a caterer for a home brunch and helped my LA grandson make plane reservations from Newark back home that day since he has to be at work the next morning. It will be the first part time all five grandsons will be together since my big birthday party in June of 2019.

Im very excited to be doing this.

Stay well and safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 30

46 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  I certainly appreciate veterinarians.  My cats maybe not so much.  Luckily for me a vet tech is our pet sitter.  @dfish today’s meal suggestion sounds good.  
We are scheduled to be in Key West today.  Arrival time is 11.  We are planning on getting off the ship and walking around.  It will be interesting to see what has survived the past two years.  The crew on the Dawn seem very happy to have guests on board.  Everyone has been super nice.

Hi Crazy,

I missed your post yesterday.  Just checked your itinerary and like it!  Sadly for me, Holland America was the only cruise line out of Tampa for many years to do a 14 day cruise that went to much of the Caribbean, and now is limited to Ft Lauderdale from Florida.  Wishing you well on the Dawn.  

• Like 18

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily.

Great days. Christmas cards are great but I'm guilty of not sending them. A salute to pastry (love it but limit it) and Vets!

Great quote.

The meal sounds good, but maybe with a less carby veg. The wine sounds good. I'll pass on the drink.

I haven't been to today's destination. Africa is on my list of places to see.

Going to take BFF to the oculoplastic surgeon today for his first post-op check. I'll also make sure he gets any needed groceries.

Things aren't good here. Our Covid positivity rate is 13%! I don't know the proportions of unvaccinated to breakthrough cases. I'll be staying close to home for a while.

@rafinmd Prayers that all is going well with your treatments.

@kazu Continued prayers for you and Jose.

@grapau27 I love York and have been there several times.

@mamaofami That sounds like a wonderful party for Sam's birthday next month.

Prayers for the Care list and a toast to the Celebration list.

Stay safe everyone, and get your booster!

• Like 25

Some pictures of the Koningsdam in Puerto Vallarta Mexico today and last week.  She came in early in the morning at 6:40am and leaves in the dark in the evening.  Sorry no daylight pictures of her sailing in or out.

y4mNHzaW97mchlr9OuWG9XFlui3OOBLuUExn0Bj5

y4miQWzk8pa_ffvR_LDeuJiiOEqAWospbQkSDIiN

y4mw4PJYR4Lze2CLgct8HRwOLU1LxAL9Ib8nz9bs

y4m6KuUU0oFXKtMMXWUO4kkTou65Tm-ngRnZaomL

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  I've sent all my Christmas cards for this year.  Love pastries, maybe too much.  Happy for Veterinary Medicine for all our fur family members.  I think the quote may be all too true.  The meal sounds good.  Have not been to today's destination.

MAJOR prayers for our care list (Jacqui and Jose) and toasts to those traveling and those with good news.

Please stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Derby:

Ingredients
1 1/2 ounces bourbon
1 ounce grapefruit juice, freshly squeezed
1/2 ounce honey syrup
Garnish: grapefruit twist

Screen Shot 2021-12-09 at 7.29.19 AM.png

This sounds good!  Shall we sing  "My Old Kentuckey Home" as we drink it?

• Like 5
  • Haha 3