I got an aft cabin!

zwallace

I just book an 11 day Canada/New England cruise for 2023.  I was just looking but there was an aft facing balcony cabin available.  Having never sailed in an aft cabin and always wanted to, I threw caution to the wind and booked it.  Who knows where we'll be with Covid, but I choose to believe things will be improved and I'll be able to fulfill my dream of an aft cabin! Happy birthday, happy anniversary, happy Valentine's day, Mother Day and Christmas to me!  Haven't told DH yet.  He'll get used to spending more to cruise I hope.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, zwallace said:

I just book an 11 day Canada/New England cruise for 2023.  I was just looking but there was an aft facing balcony cabin available.  Having never sailed in an aft cabin and always wanted to, I threw caution to the wind and booked it.  Who knows where we'll be with Covid, but I choose to believe things will be improved and I'll be able to fulfill my dream of an aft cabin! Happy birthday, happy anniversary, happy Valentine's day, Mother Day and Christmas to me!  Haven't told DH yet.  He'll get used to spending more to cruise I hope.

We loved our aft cabin on our Alaska cruise a few years ago.  Of course, that cruise was with NCL since X doesn't go to Glacier Bay.  The nice thing about an aft balcony is that if it is chilly outside, being in an aft,  you don't get the chilly wind.  Also,  you get to see so much.  We did another cruise in an aft balcony in 2015, Singapore to Dubai, but it had very little shelter and it was so hot, we hardly used it.

We did our first aft facing cabin on the Equinox in August and it was in a Sky Suite. We had a much larger balcony and were able to have breakfast every morning there. Biggest thing is no wind and the huge 30" round table on the balcony for our in-room meals.  Now having done one I doubt we will do another aft cabin; our next 5 cruises are all booked in midship locations. If you sail on any E Class ship in less than a suite, the aft is the only place to get a real traditional balcony, I do not count the porthole balconies far forward to be a traditional cabin.

Love the aft corners on S class. We have one for end of April. We also booked a Panama Canal cruise for May of 2023. It is an aft suite on Princess and only booked this one because we liked the itinerary and specifically because we could snag the aft. It should be nice viewing when going thru the canal. Enjoy!

11 hours ago, zwallace said:

I don't know about your decision.  Do you think you can tolerate watching this all day?

727000226_EclipseWakeJul92016Caribbean.thumb.gif.51b9a95a0309cc0b028ed461e1bbe851.gif

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Congratulations!  You are going to LOVE it.  We did an aft from Vancouver to Seward, Alaska.  It was MAGICAL.  I will say that is the only cruise I've ever taken where I had to get my "land legs" back or maybe better said "land eyes".  I'd wake in the hotel room and it was so weird to look out the window and not see the landscape move 😂.  Took a couple of days to adjust.

• Like 1

We have been in aft cabins on the M-class ships on at least 8 cruises and loved every one of them. As mentioned, they have ENORMOUS verandahs. We have had all our friends over for pre-dinner wine on more than one occasion. As one previous poster mentioned, the only thing better than those aft staterooms is the Penthouse Suite which also faces aft. We have never sailed in that one but we have sailed with friends who did have it and got invited a few times. The best time was being on their verandah while transiting the Panama Canal. 

The only drawback is having one on deck 9. The area right above it is the Sunset Bar and when the crew goes to clean up and get ready for the day at about 5:00 am, it can get rather noisy. Hopefully you are on deck 7 or 8.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrKoob said:

We have been in aft cabins on the M-class ships on at least 8 cruises and loved every one of them. As mentioned, they have ENORMOUS verandahs. We have had all our friends over for pre-dinner wine on more than one occasion. As one previous poster mentioned, the only thing better than those aft staterooms is the Penthouse Suite which also faces aft. We have never sailed in that one but we have sailed with friends who did have it and got invited a few times. The best time was being on their verandah while transiting the Panama Canal. 

The only drawback is having one on deck 9. The area right above it is the Sunset Bar and when the crew goes to clean up and get ready for the day at about 5:00 am, it can get rather noisy. Hopefully you are on deck 7 or 8.

Yes we're on deck 7. 

Congratulations and enjoy! I would love to do a New England/Canada one of these days. Just fair warning, it may be be really hard to go back to a non-aft balcony after this🙂 My husband's first question now whenever I look to book a cruise is "Is it an aft?".  In June, we are doing Alaska on the M-class FV aft which looks fantastic.  Those aft views really spoil you.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mahdnc said:

I don't know about your decision.  Do you think you can tolerate watching this all day?

727000226_EclipseWakeJul92016Caribbean.thumb.gif.51b9a95a0309cc0b028ed461e1bbe851.gif

DH is wondering why dinner is not ready but I told him I had ordered room service so we could enjoy the wake.  So real I thought I was on a ship.........Thanks for posting.

Edited by TeaBag
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Oville said:

Another you’ll love it, the best place to be on a ship.

I so debated between aft SS for upcoming EDGE cruise and MC SS.  Just was able to have my TA make the changes to aft for 3 legs of a 52 day cruise, 4th leg I’ll move to a different suite but will be worth it.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I so debated between aft SS for upcoming EDGE cruise and MC SS.  Just was able to have my TA make the changes to aft for 3 legs of a 52 day cruise, 4th leg I’ll move to a different suite but will be worth it.

What cabin?

1 minute ago, Oville said:

Oh man you’ll love it.  We’ve stayed in that cabin.

Thank you, we figured a nice way to celebrate my retirement.  My husband will still be working, though he is self employed and can easily work from the ship.  He is a tiny bit jealous though, LOL.