WHY DID INDEPENDENCE OF THE SEAS CHANGE ITINERARY FROM NASSAU TO A SEA DAY?

dockgirl

I can never remember NOT getting off a ship in port, and visit the town on foot, (NOT THE ENCLOSED AREA OF A PORT).  This includes Nassau, and yes, it has included Jamaica, one of my favorites.  As far as vendors, they do their thing and they can "harass" me as I pass by all day long.  It's there way of making a living.  I do remember once a couple that did not get off the ship in Cuba, because they were told it was dangerous?  I asked how and why did they go if they were afraid?  

Now the Bahamas port is under construction, so I'm sure on occasion, it will have sections closed down, but really, the rumors of Covid just need to stop.  It's construction.  

9 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

We have been to Nassau four times this year and most people got off the ship every time. 

I love the port days when most people get off the ship - especially if they take their feral children with them.

And it frees up space on the Melanoma Deck.

Edited by SargassoPirate
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, UNCFanatik said:

SO....what does this mean moving forward? Are future sailings of the Indy  going to skip Nassau as well?

Thoughts?

Yes/No/Maybe

None of us know.  There may be times the port has to ask a scheduled ship to stay away.  It won't always be Indy that draws the short straw, other lines and other Royal ships may get the bump that day.    

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, twangster said:

Yes/No/Maybe

None of us know.  There may be times the port has to ask a scheduled ship to stay away.  It won't always be Indy that draws the short straw, other lines and other Royal ships may get the bump that day.    

My daughter is on the January 7 sailing. Is Nassau removed from the January itineraries?

8 minutes ago, TheSweetPotatoQueen said:

My daughter is on the January 7 sailing. Is Nassau removed from the January itineraries?

I'm not sure, I'm not on that cruise.  

When they cancelled Nassau for me in November on Indy we found out roughly two weeks before the cruise.  They sent an email.

4 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Did you get a replacement port?

Sea Day.  To avoid a weather system near Central Florida we cruised down the coast just past Miami then turned around and headed North.  Worked for me, it was a beautiful sea day.  

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, mawvkysc said:

Are you talking  about a sailing this week? I heard that it has to do with construction in Nassau. Not 100% for sure though. It’s fine by me. Actually I picked the cruise for the extra sea day. 

23 hours ago, mawvkysc said:

Are you talking  about a sailing this week? I heard that it has to do with construction in Nassau. Not 100% for sure though. It’s fine by me. Actually I picked the cruise for the extra sea day. 

I don't think that it had to do with constructions.  Just off the Mariner and on Wednesday Dec. 8th there were 5 ships of which 3 were RCL (Anthem, Mariner & Serenade.)  The other 2 were Carnival and if I recall it was Elation and Legend.

15 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

should have continued down the street and replaced the straw market with non verbally assaulting merchants

Ha, yeah! Last time I was there Sept 2001 was watching the Original Straw Market Burn to the ground. Me and my 3 Kids got home from our Cruise early morning of 9/11

4 hours ago, LynnForestgate said:

This is so true.

Many years ago, we visited Labadee on the Nordic Empress. There was a very big line (and very slow)  of people for the buffet.

Was told later by (several) crew members that "locals" wearing stolen RCCL branded gear had "Acquired" lots of the days food and made off with it 🙂

It was a terrible place, and I shall not go there again.

The Nordic Empress, when it sailed under that name, was pre-2004. That port stop has changed & improved since then... of course, prior to the current situation, which is out of RCI's control. It's possible that RCI may never return there.