Cruise with confidence question?

Ayden

We cruised on Journey in October and we were reassured by Azamara offering the guarantee of care during quarantine if anyone in the traveling party should unfortunately test positive after embarking on any of their voyages.

Our cruise was amazing and we would like to book again soon.  I'm not able to find this written guarantee on their website any longer...can anyone offer any information.  Has this ended?

Covid is still with us.... 

36 minutes ago, Ayden said:

We cruised on Journey in October and we were reassured by Azamara offering the guarantee of care during quarantine if anyone in the traveling party should unfortunately test positive after embarking on any of their voyages.

Our cruise was amazing and we would like to book again soon.  I'm not able to find this written guarantee on their website any longer...can anyone offer any information.  Has this ended?

Covid is still with us.... 

I think it was only for cruises departing by 12/31. Maybe they will extend it though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NC&KY said:

I don't see the guarantee of care anywhere at this link. Can someone direct me to the statement?

They don't make it easy to find but the info is shown under the Medical Capabilities tab   https://www.azamara.com/booked-guests/before-you-board/explore-well-at-sea

medical.svg

Medical Capabilities

Your health and safety are our priorities. That's why you'll find an enhanced medical facility on board each Azamara vessel, with more equipment and a dedicated infectious control officer. Should there be a COVID-19 case onboard, we have new isolation staterooms to provide comfortable, complimentary care and new agreements in place with local governments, hospitals and transportation partners to ensure a safe return home.

• Medical center enhanced with staff and equipment • Dedicated infectious control officer on every ship
• Onboard testing capabilities • Telehealth support
• Multi-level response plan • Commitment to safe and timely return home
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, macmax said:

It has been extended to bookings made by Jan.31/22.

https://www.azamara.com/en-ca/cruise-with-confidence

Thanks for the response however I'm not able to see anything updated to outline what was there in past.  No mention of cruiseline absorbing costs related to quarantining onshore or flights to return home?  It's vague at best.  

Oops, I see what you posted now..wasn't there when I posted....I'll read through.  😊 

Edited by Ayden

3 hours ago, macmax said:

They don't make it easy to find but the info is shown under the Medical Capabilities tab   https://www.azamara.com/booked-guests/before-you-board/explore-well-at-sea

medical.svg

Medical Capabilities

Your health and safety are our priorities. That's why you'll find an enhanced medical facility on board each Azamara vessel, with more equipment and a dedicated infectious control officer. Should there be a COVID-19 case onboard, we have new isolation staterooms to provide comfortable, complimentary care and new agreements in place with local governments, hospitals and transportation partners to ensure a safe return home.

• Medical center enhanced with staff and equipment • Dedicated infectious control officer on every ship
• Onboard testing capabilities • Telehealth support
• Multi-level response plan • Commitment to safe and timely return home

Thanks for this.  You are so right...it is very difficult to find on their website.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is something in the FAQ of their website.   It is a bit contradictory but does cover off what happens if you get covid on board.  It seems like it expires on December 31?

https://www.azamara.com/en-ca/booked-guests/before-you-board/explore-well-at-sea

Guests sailing on or before December 31st, 2021 have the following reassurance at no extra charge.

• A 100% Future Cruise Credit will be provided for any guest who tests positive within two weeks of their sail date, as well as any members of their immediate traveling party who choose to cancel.
  • If you test positive for COVID-19 during the cruise, you will be entitled to either a partial or full FCC or refund for the amount paid, depending on the situation. Azamara will also cover the costs of COVID-19 related medical treatment onboard, any required land-based quarantine, and travel home for you and your Traveling Party. Guests must comply with travel requirements, health and safety protocols in order to be eligible for this reassurance.

We encourage guests purchase travel insurance for added peace of mind and reassurance, either through Azamara or other insurance provider of your choice.

We are scheduled to sail 5/13. The new sail with confidence, which is awesome, covers through 4/30. Out travel partners cancelled today. The concern isn’t really Azamara, but rather what happens if you do become sick in a foreign country. If I understand correctly, you will quarantine off ship in the nearest port,then find your own way home. I think that is our greatest concern. We have a deposit on travel insurance and I need to find out what that coverage would be should this happen before FP. 

Just today, QM2 was denied docking in Barbados. They are offshore until they have crew replenishment, then rather than docking in NYC, they are turning around to sail back to Southampton.
I fully recognize that sailing in a pandemic requires flexibility. Reading various forums, it is requiring on an expanding number of voyages, a whole lot of flexibility right now. For how long?  Who knows. But the thought of being in quarantine in a different country, then finding your way home……but it’s just been way too long since the joy of travel. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

We are scheduled to sail 5/13. The new sail with confidence, which is awesome, covers through 4/30. Out travel partners cancelled today. The concern isn’t really Azamara, but rather what happens if you do become sick in a foreign country. If I understand correctly, you will quarantine off ship in the nearest port,then find your own way home. I think that is our greatest concern. We have a deposit on travel insurance and I need to find out what that coverage would be should this happen before FP. 

Just today, QM2 was denied docking in Barbados. They are offshore until they have crew replenishment, then rather than docking in NYC, they are turning around to sail back to Southampton.
I fully recognize that sailing in a pandemic requires flexibility. Reading various forums, it is requiring on an expanding number of voyages, a whole lot of flexibility right now. For how long?  Who knows. But the thought of being in quarantine in a different country, then finding your way home……but it’s just been way too long since the joy of travel. 

I'm on a 5/31 sailing and have the same concerns with the current Cruise with Confidence program cancelling in 2 days.  I called and spoke with an Azamara rep a few days ago to ask if the program would be extended.  She said to "keep checking the website for updates", implying  - but stopping short of confirming - that it would be continued in some fashion.  Testing positive and having to quarantine would still be a worry,  but less so knowing that arrangements and costs would be covered by AZ as they have been.

Thank you for this information SunnyNY. I think we will wait until very close to FP to decide as this could certainly make a difference. 
in reading the program, I understand the Azamara pays for hotel stays, but what about flight arrangements not purchased through them?  We used miles so May still be on the hook? 

Travel insurance!  Why travel these days without some form of medical care insurance.  We've a policy that won't give us cancellation benefits but does give us medical coverage which includes travel home if we get sick.  

• Like 4

We always travel with insurance and completely agree with you. I have read on different boards that some insurance companies are not covering ‘pandemic’ illness, so I think it makes sense for us to double check into that. Not only medical expenses, but lodging and food if you are In Quarantine, food…..then different flights home. 

• Like 1

I got an email from Allianz today reminding me that, although their policy terms do not cover pandemic losses, they have voluntarily added such coverage:

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for your recent purchase of an Allianz Travel Protection Plan. Given the current unique and evolving circumstances related to the unprecedented concern over COVID-19, we want to take this opportunity to remind you how our products and services are working to protect you both prior to your departure and while you're enjoying your trip.

Our plans do not generally cover claims due to COVID-19. This is because our products do not generally cover losses caused directly or indirectly by known, foreseeable, or expected events, epidemics, or government prohibitions, warnings, or travel advisories. Nor do our products generally cover for fear of travel. However, for a temporary period in response to the ongoing public health and travel crisis, we are currently accommodating claims for:

1. Under Emergency Medical Care Benefit: Emergency medical care for a customer who becomes ill with COVID-19 while on their trip.
  2. Under Trip Cancellation or Trip Interruption Benefits: Trip cancellation and trip interruption if a customer becomes ill with COVID-19 either before or during their trip.

Customers who become ill with COVID-19 while on their trip will not be subject to the Trip Interruption benefit's five-day maximum limit for additional accommodation and transportation expenses (however, the maximum daily limit for such expenses and the maximum Trip Interruption benefit limit still apply).

Please note, we will accept proof of a positive COVID-19 test or a physician's diagnosis as proof that you are ill with COVID-19.

These temporary accommodations are strictly applicable to COVID-19 and are only available for customers whose plans includes the applicable benefit. All other terms, conditions, and exclusions of the plan apply as always. All benefits are subject to maximum limits of liability, which may in some cases be subject to sublimits, day limits, and daily maximums. Please read your plan for details. You can view your plan at www.etravelprotection.com.

These accommodations apply to plans currently in effect but may not apply to plans purchased in the future, so please refer to the coverage alert on our website at www.etravelprotection.com before purchasing another plan.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2021 at 9:59 AM, Vineyard View said:

Thank you for this information SunnyNY. I think we will wait until very close to FP to decide as this could certainly make a difference. 
in reading the program, I understand the Azamara pays for hotel stays, but what about flight arrangements not purchased through them?  We used miles so May still be on the hook? 

The language of the policy does not specify that you had to arrange air through Azamara to benefit from the assistance plan. I expect that you could redeposit your miles, maybe for a fee because of the timeline, and book something else to be reimbursed by Azamara, perhaps even your redeposit fees.

On 12/29/2021 at 8:02 PM, Vineyard View said:

We always travel with insurance and completely agree with you. I have read on different boards that some insurance companies are not covering ‘pandemic’ illness, so I think it makes sense for us to double check into that. Not only medical expenses, but lodging and food if you are In Quarantine, food…..then different flights home. 

Many comprehensive plans today cover Covid as any other illness. If you want something in addition to what Azamara is doing look for a policy with generous trip delay benefits and one that will extend coverage if your trip is prolonged because of illness or quarantine.

• Like 1

Thank you Babr for your responses and tips. I appreciate them very much. 
Azamara for some reason will not waive our rebooking fees. I specifically asked about rebooking late ‘22 or Spring ‘23. Was told that the $300 in fees would not be waived. Given that they would retain our deposits as well if we rebooked, it simply does not make good business sense to me to a) rebook with them, or b) for Az to take that position. I guess their company, their decision.  Competitors are proving to be much more flexible though. 

Yes, we can re-deposit our miles with fees - some to our Credit Card and some to the airline, which we can use to rebook at a later date. If we decide to cancel this trip, we will absolutely do this with our miles. 

Difficult times presenting difficult decisions. 

8 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Thank you Babr for your responses and tips. I appreciate them very much. 
Azamara for some reason will not waive our rebooking fees. I specifically asked about rebooking late ‘22 or Spring ‘23. Was told that the $300 in fees would not be waived. Given that they would retain our deposits as well if we rebooked, it simply does not make good business sense to me to a) rebook with them, or b) for Az to take that position. I guess their company, their decision.  Competitors are proving to be much more flexible though. 

Yes, we can re-deposit our miles with fees - some to our Credit Card and some to the airline, which we can use to rebook at a later date. If we decide to cancel this trip, we will absolutely do this with our miles. 

Difficult times presenting difficult decisions. 

Are you booked with a Travel Agent or direct with Azamara? I know that booking conditions are different in the US against the U.K. but not usually in our favour.

We are in a similar situation with a May cruise that sits just outside the current cut off date, it’s a direct booking and we have similar concerns, to date Azamara have fallen over themselves to make sure we are happy with no mention of change fees or cancellation costs, other than the deposit which is non refundable here would be returned as FCC.

Historically we have used travel agents but their performance during the pandemic in illegally holding on to refunds and charging fictitious change fees blamed on the cruise lines has changed our strategy.

For example, the law in the U.K. is that refunds must be made in 14 days of a cancellation, recently we had a cruise cancelled, not Azamara, our travel agent insisted they had 90 days to action the refund and could only do so once they had received the refund. Luckily the tour operator was willing to talk to me and told me they had actioned the refund to our travel agent 5 days after the refund request was made. I had to threaten the travel agent with action to get my money even then they had held it for 3 weeks illegally.

Somewhat related question. We lift and shifted from May 21’ to June 21’. At this point, we plan to go on this cruise.

Question, does any of the “Cruise with Confidence” rules still apply? In other words, if I wanted to…can I still get my money back? I assume this is the case if the cruise is cancelled. Finally getting close enough to book flights and not sure what options exist if this becomes arduous. Is there also the possibility to push this back with the 125% rule if it stays hard to travel?

FYI - this trip starts in Spain & ends in Lisbon in case that matters.

51 minutes ago, mdpa said:

Somewhat related question. We lift and shifted from May 21’ to June 21’. At this point, we plan to go on this cruise.

Question, does any of the “Cruise with Confidence” rules still apply? In other words, if I wanted to…can I still get my money back? I assume this is the case if the cruise is cancelled. Finally getting close enough to book flights and not sure what options exist if this becomes arduous. Is there also the possibility to push this back with the 125% rule if it stays hard to travel?

FYI - this trip starts in Spain & ends in Lisbon in case that matters.

Spoke with Azamara a few days ago, currently the end date for Cruise with Confidence is the 30th April and the customer service staff have not been given any information about it being extended. Our cruise is the first one after the current end date and I was told they do have some flexibility but I doubt it would extend to June.

Personally given the current situation I would expect Azamara to extend the scheme to avoid a lot of cancellations when final payment is due.

• Like 3

Riocca, we did book through a travel agency- one we have used multiple times and have been happy with. The roadblock in this situation, I believe, is not with them but rather with Azamara. 
Our travel partners cancelled with all the uncertainties. They were told it could take 48 days to receive their refund from Azamara. That seems a bit long to all of us. 
Given the current situation, I would have thought Azamara would have been willing to extend full payment dates by more than one week, but they will only give us until 20 Jan. Original date was 13 Jan. 
Could it be that we have no past cruise history with Azamara, and more accommodating responses are given to past customers?  Could it be new ownership?  I don’t know, but I do read that competition is being more flexible than we have experienced at this point. 

4 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Riocca, we did book through a travel agency- one we have used multiple times and have been happy with. The roadblock in this situation, I believe, is not with them but rather with Azamara. 
Our travel partners cancelled with all the uncertainties. They were told it could take 48 days to receive their refund from Azamara. That seems a bit long to all of us. 
Given the current situation, I would have thought Azamara would have been willing to extend full payment dates by more than one week, but they will only give us until 20 Jan. Original date was 13 Jan. 
Could it be that we have no past cruise history with Azamara, and more accommodating responses are given to past customers?  Could it be new ownership?  I don’t know, but I do read that competition is being more flexible than we have experienced at this point. 

In the U.K. final payment is at 90 days rather than the 120 days in the U.S. I asked Azamara about deferring the final payment because of the current situation and was told it would only be considered when final payment is due. Furthermore payment would only be deferred by one week at a time, from this I took it that any deferred payment would be reviewed weekly so a longer time period might be possible.

6 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

competition in general is NOT being more flexible; as I stated earlier, Oceania is only allowing guests to cancel for FCC into mid-February.  Perhaps in a couple weeks they will extend beyond April but maybe not.  Their ships are sailing and at this point staying on schedule.  Past cruise history doesn't play into it as they are one of very few cruiselines that don't play favorites.