The Daily for Tuesday December 14, 2021

richwmn

4 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  Brrr it was cold this morning so we drove the 3 minutes to the gym where we worked out lightly then walked their treadmills 2.5 miles.  

Thanks Rich for the Daily today with all the facts and info.  Thanks also to Roy for presenting the lists each day.  They are both quite long!  I keep hearing more and more bad news.  Yesterday I was told my niece's husband (who is in his late 40's) has throat cancer and will have surgery Monday the 20th.  Followed by chemo and radiation.  His tobacco usage caught up with him at that early age.  So I will pray for him and all on our Care list, as well as Jose and Jacqui, Jose's doctors, Charlene's DS in the hospital and Tana, of course.  Big thanks to Terry for all she does to help out Tana and her son.😇

Well, let's see.  Bouillabaisse does not sound like my cup of tea so I'll pass.  Roasted chestnuts sound cozy this time of year.  Monkeys are okay but I can't imagine getting too close to them.  The quote is odd, and I had no idea who Johnny Rocket was.  The chicken parm burgers sound good but I don't think they need the buns.  Chicken parm is good all by itself.  Port Louis, Mauritius seems like a good spot to visit.  I am not even sure if that is on the Grand Africa cruise or not.  I guess we can't see everything on one cruise!  Thanks, Roy for your blog page on Port Louis for us all to view.

Sorry to hear about your nieces husband's throat cancer.

Hopefully he has now stopped smoking and his treatment is successful.

Graham.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all!  More prayers for Jacqui, Jose, Tana, and those supporting them! 
@mamaofami great news on the bone density!  

Congratulations, Beautiful photo, yes I remember those tuxes too!  And blue flowers?  Wondering what they are? 

9A3495CB-4240-4A95-827F-65B246853300.jpeg

Willing to bet those blue flowers were white carnations that had been stood in water coloured blue with food dye until they soaked up the colour. My mom used to do that all the time. 

• Like 11

Yay. My last post went through. It seems copying it to Word helps. If I do it goes through; if not, poof!

Just chatting with BFF. He's been having some tooth discomfort for several weeks and his dentist couldn't find anything. It has gotten worse, so he was seen today and they think he has an abcess. He was referred to an Endodontist, but they have no appointments until January! There's maybe an opening on Dec 23rd, at a distant office. He's trying to decide what to do. They did start an antibiotic. I feel bad for him, having this, on top of his recent BCC eyelid surgery and skin graft.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Yay. My last post went through. It seems copying it to Word helps. If I do it goes through; if not, poof!

Just chatting with BFF. He's been having some tooth discomfort for several weeks and his dentist couldn't find anything. It has gotten worse, so he was seen today and they think he has an abcess. He was referred to an Endodontist, but they have no appointments until January! There's maybe an opening on Dec 23rd, at a distant office. He's trying to decide what to do. They did start an antibiotic. I feel bad for him, having this, on top of his recent BCC eyelid surgery and skin graft.

That  sounds very uncomfortable. Around here we often have to ask to be put on a waiting list in case others cancel.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good morning and thanks for the update.

I am back from  the Neurologist appt, can’t say I liked him, found him to be patronizing, seemed shocked when I told him that it took months to get the appointment, now have an MRI scheduled for Dec 29 then back to see him in January.he also gave me a new medication. I just don’t feel inspired by his competency. 
  Blessings and prayers to all on our lists ❤️🙏

I am so sorry that you feel this way.It is awful when there is a monopoly essentially. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon.  I had a lovely hour in the pool and then went and got the oil changed in the car.  A load of laundry is spinning away in the washer, so it has been a rather productive day in my estimation.  

@Sharon in AZ

7cdcffcb63097ea3e9f629bf99578a0b.jpg.8274d2bede5ac7a39e964ec0137cbfec.jpg

@1ANGELCAT I hear your frustration with the neurologist.  I had a neurologist like that, but like a bind squirrel, she found me a nut.  I had a dermatologist who was worse!   She was a former student and she was annoying in 7th grade, and more so as an adult.  Just bigger and more highly educated.  I fired her and gladly waited the six months to see the other one near by.

@StLouisCruisers I'm sorry to hear of the cancer diagnosis for your niece's DH.  I hope his treatments are successful.  

Ok, for all of you who haven't had bouillabaisse, it is great!   I had it as an appetizer on the old Rotterdam at Rudy's Pop Up Sel de Mer.  It was way too much for an appetizer and easily could have been a main course. But, boy was it delicious.  

Bouillabaisse is a Provençal fish soup with a tomato base.

While there’s no strict formula, this hearty seafood soup can contain a wide variety of different types of seafood and shellfish.

Mussels

Clams

Shrimp

Flaky white fish: Any one of these or a combination — cod, red snapper, sea bass, haddock, porgy, mullet or grouper.

This recipe from Julia Child is an easy one to do.   Julia stressed that it should be easy and not some fancied up dish, just food that is good to eat.  https://familystylefood.com/julia-childs-bouillabaisse-recipe/

bouillabaisse.thumb.jpg.aa4766e2c2e6070397bc980921954787.jpg

Now, if you want flavor, Bobby Flay is your guy.   https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/bouillabaisse-3381506

1466205123_bouillabaisse2.jpeg.204e850f501e97bf280def1b00dd4c34.jpeg

And here's one from Cathal Armstrong of Food and Wine magazine:   https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/bouillabaisse

2099934207_bouillabaisse3.thumb.jpg.89aae0f02f7bd4912cf442fd8118e2bb.jpg

This sounds like a perfect meal for a winter night.   

Deb

• Like 14
  • Thanks 5

26 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Oh my goodness, when it rains it pours for your poor BFF.  That must feel awful!  I hope the antibiotics help quickly.

• Like 13

46 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Sorry to hear about your nieces husband's throat cancer.

Hopefully he has now stopped smoking and his treatment is successful.

Graham.

Graham, her DH rarely shows up at family functions, at least in the past.  My niece will be at the visitation this coming Saturday but I imagine he won't show up.  And I hope he doesn't smoke anymore too!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Graham, her DH rarely shows up at family functions, at least in the past.  My niece will be at the visitation this coming Saturday but I imagine he won't show up.  And I hope he doesn't smoke anymore too!

That is his loss Sandi but at least your niece will be at the visitation on Saturday.

Take care and stay safe.

Graham.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Last year I had a tooth abscess that started up on a Friday.  Some of the worst pain I’ve ever experienced!  On Sunday my dentist called in an antibiotic and that made a world of difference in just a short time.  I was able to see an Endodontist in a week and the only pain I experienced there was when I had to pay.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, 57redbird said:

Update on DH's prostate cancer diagnosis & surgery....lymph nodes were negative!  Goes back in March for a follow-up visit & PSA check.  Thank you all for all the prayers!

That's wonderful news!  Good luck with that follow up and PSA check.

I'm so glad to hear some happy news for a change and nice to hear all the prayers worked.

• Like 11

26 minutes ago, 57redbird said:

Update on DH's prostate cancer diagnosis & surgery....lymph nodes were negative!  Goes back in March for a follow-up visit & PSA check.  Thank you all for all the prayers!

Excellent news!

11 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Thought I would add some color to our thread. Our Christmas cactus is blooming. 

86735090-A71D-4BFA-A203-E26BE7AF7F37.jpeg

Lovely. Mine hasn't bloomed the last 2 years. I think I need to repot it and feed it. When I still worked, I neglected it and it had lots of blooms. I think the overhead lights in the office were good for it and it may not get enough light where it is now.

• Like 11

Everyone -----  Thank you so much for all your Happy Anniversary wishes.  I couldn't ask for a better group of friends than those on the Daily!! 

3 hours ago, AV8rix said:

Adding my happy anniversary wishes.  Will email you later today or will PM you on FB (yeah, I know how to find just about anyone on FB 😉).

Thank you!!  Sorry but I only just yesterday realized you were on our cruise!

3 hours ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all!  More prayers for Jacqui, Jose, Tana, and those supporting them! 
@mamaofami great news on the bone density!  

Congratulations, Beautiful photo, yes I remember those tuxes too!  And blue flowers?  Wondering what they are? 

9A3495CB-4240-4A95-827F-65B246853300.jpeg

Hmmmmm, yep, those crazy blue flowers!  I really wanted blue to be dominate in the wedding and I wanted blue flowers, but it was December and alas no blue flowers.  So.......  yep, those are fake.  Or as Elaine Benes would say.....  fake, fake, fake.  Blue is my favorite color.  (Sorry my Elaine Benes meme wouldn't post.)

3 hours ago, Norseh2o said:

Sharon in AZ, congratulations on 47 years of ‘wedded bliss’! You look beautiful! DH and I celebrated 47 years on 05/18/2021, he and groomsmen wore Mexican wedding shirts from Franklins on University in Tucson. My avatar for cc is from our wedding.

Thank you!  I knew you were in Tucson then, so where was your wedding?  Ours was at a church we went to way back then, near the University, about Broadway and Highland.  I think it's a school now.

31 minutes ago, 57redbird said:

Such great news!!

Edited by Sharon in AZ
Deleited link
  • Like 14

42 minutes ago, 57redbird said:

That is fantastic news.

Good luck in March for his follow up visit.

Graham.

• Like 8

Good afternoon/evening.  It's raining cats and dogs here in San Diego -- and very windy.  I think there is extreme weather all over the state today.

@dfish, I'm with you on the bouillabaisse -- love it and order it a lot.  It's excellent in Rudi's.  There is a different flavor.  Maybe the fennel?  Giada de Laurentis has a good recipe for it.  Weird thing is that unlike most any other seafood dish, it tasted much better the next day.  Good to know for a party make-ahead.

@grapau27, glad Pauline is feeling better after her jab.  Got it done!

@57redbird, good news about DH's clear lymph nodes!  Happy day in your house for sure!

@ger_77, it's nice you had an evening out.  They are to be treasured these days.

@Vict0riann, I don't think I've ever had a proper chestnut.  Your photos are inspiring to seek them out.

@1ANGELCAT, I'm sorry you were disappointed in your doctor.  That's frustrating as all heck.   

@StLouisCruisers, sad news about your niece's DH.  So young for such a serious condition!

And @JazzyV, your poor BFF must feel miserable!  He's very lucky to have you to help him out.  By the way, I'm changing up our Christmas dinner plans and taking a page from your play book -- Sauerbraten and other German dishes.  Comfort food seems in order this year, and that really fills the bill.  Sorry your dinner is postponed, but hopefully you will have your feast to enjoy soon as well.

I spent the morning finishing up some Christmas shopping and have wrapped my last package.  Time to relax.  Is it five o'clock somewhere?  

Keeping all of our Daily family in prayers.  We need to shorten the care list and lengthen the celebration list.  Enjoy the evening, All.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

@dfish, I'm with you on the bouillabaisse -- love it and order it a lot.  It's excellent in Rudi's.  There is a different flavor.  Maybe the fennel?  Giada de Laurentis has a good recipe for it.  Weird thing is that unlike most any other seafood dish, it tasted much better the next day.  Good to know for a party make-ahead.

The suggestion I read is to make the broth and save it. You can add the seafood when  you want to serve it as it doesn't take too long to cook.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dfish said:

Good afternoon.  I had a lovely hour in the pool and then went and got the oil changed in the car.  A load of laundry is spinning away in the washer, so it has been a rather productive day in my estimation.  

@Sharon in AZ

7cdcffcb63097ea3e9f629bf99578a0b.jpg.8274d2bede5ac7a39e964ec0137cbfec.jpg

@1ANGELCAT I hear your frustration with the neurologist.  I had a neurologist like that, but like a bind squirrel, she found me a nut.  I had a dermatologist who was worse!   She was a former student and she was annoying in 7th grade, and more so as an adult.  Just bigger and more highly educated.  I fired her and gladly waited the six months to see the other one near by.

@StLouisCruisers I'm sorry to hear of the cancer diagnosis for your niece's DH.  I hope his treatments are successful.  

Ok, for all of you who haven't had bouillabaisse, it is great!   I had it as an appetizer on the old Rotterdam at Rudy's Pop Up Sel de Mer.  It was way too much for an appetizer and easily could have been a main course. But, boy was it delicious.  

Bouillabaisse is a Provençal fish soup with a tomato base.

While there’s no strict formula, this hearty seafood soup can contain a wide variety of different types of seafood and shellfish.

Mussels

Clams

Shrimp

Flaky white fish: Any one of these or a combination — cod, red snapper, sea bass, haddock, porgy, mullet or grouper.

This recipe from Julia Child is an easy one to do.   Julia stressed that it should be easy and not some fancied up dish, just food that is good to eat.  https://familystylefood.com/julia-childs-bouillabaisse-recipe/

bouillabaisse.thumb.jpg.aa4766e2c2e6070397bc980921954787.jpg

Now, if you want flavor, Bobby Flay is your guy.   https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/bouillabaisse-3381506

1466205123_bouillabaisse2.jpeg.204e850f501e97bf280def1b00dd4c34.jpeg

And here's one from Cathal Armstrong of Food and Wine magazine:   https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/bouillabaisse

2099934207_bouillabaisse3.thumb.jpg.89aae0f02f7bd4912cf442fd8118e2bb.jpg

This sounds like a perfect meal for a winter night.   

Deb

Would love some good bouillabaisse, but hard for us to get all the small portions of the various seafood involved in the making, so we'd have to make it for a large group. And then, there are those who we socialize with that don't eat seafood. So, for us, it's a wait until we get to Europe to enjoy. It never tastes as good in the US somehow.......

• Like 10

Thank you to Rich, @richwmnfor the Daily, and to Roy,@rafinmd for the Care and Celebration lists, for photos  and for all the recipes.

@1ANGELCATgood luck with the MRI next month.

@durangoscots hope your weather will improve.

@rafinmdRoy, good to be 2/3  through radiotherapy treatment.

@Sharon in AZCongratulations to you and DH on your 47th Anniversary.

@JazzyVsorry that your BFF has a tooth abscess, hope for prompt treatment.

@StLouisCruiserssorry to hear of your nieces DH diagnosis.

@57redbirdyou will both be relieved with such good news for your DH.

It's another cool dull grey day, now raining,  does not feel like we are nearing the longest day.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2