The Daily for Friday December 17, 2021

richwmn

Today is National Maple Syrup Day, National Ugly Christmas Sweater Day, and Wright Brothers Day

"In comic strips, the person on the left always speaks first. - George Carlin"

Meal suggestion for today - Pineapple Fried Rice

Drink of the Day - Fluffy duck

Wine of the day - Castello di Fonterutoli Chianti Classico Gran Selezione DOCG - Italy - Red

Destination of the Day - Hualien Taiwan

Ships with Passengers

At Sea Caribbean
Eurodam
Nieuw Statendam Destination Port Everglades

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Destination San Diego

Half Moon Cay
Nieuw Amsterdam Bahamas 08:00 - 15:00

Kralendijk, Bonaire Island, Dutch Antilles
Rotterdam 08:00 - 23:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Westerdam Destination La Paz MX eta 12/19

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Great Stirrup Cay
Noordam Anchorage

Rotterdam NL
Oosterdam Shipyard

San Diego CA US
Zuiderdam

1217World.thumb.png.49cf1441ff92d28f9b2b6fd9e965c076.png

• Like 30
  • Thanks 11

Thanks for the daily report Rich and happy Friday everyone.  Unseasonably warm temps here today and I can hear the wind gusting outdoors.  I love maple syrup. I don’t own an ugly sweater and wish the concept should fade away.  Where would we be without the Wright Brothers?  Funny quote by Carlin.  The meal suggestion sounds very nice but maybe as a side dish.  Have not been to today’s port and look forward to the photos.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list, I’d like to add my younger sis who is having a hip replacement this morning.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today!

• Like 26

Thank you for the TGIF Daily, Rich.  A special salute to the Wright Brothers.  A cousin in Canada produced Maple Syrup for many years.  I'll pass on the Christmas Sweater.  Not sure how Carlin came to his conclusion.  The meal sounds nice.  Sadly, I've never been to Taiwan. 

Today’s care list:

Strength for Jacqui and healing as Jose declines
Himself with Covid

Midwest tornado area
Welfare of furloughed crews
Seasick Sailor’s friend Walker wthdrawing from cancer treatments
Eruptions in Las Palmas and Indonesia
kakalina with spreading lung cancer in hospice
StLouisCruisers Niece DH with throat cancer surgery 12/20
lazey1's BIL with Covid

Mr. Boston's sister's hip replacement.
From the rotation:
SrLouisCruiser awaiting MOSE 2/21
Cruisin Terri Autoimmune problem
HAL Sailor DH health issues
NextOne  DDIL with mystery illness

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Occasional contributors including arzz
5 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
6 days for Zuiderdam
6 days fir Ichiban Nekko (Nieuw Amsterdam to 1/8)
5 days for Rich and Sharon (Rotterdam to 2 Jan)
Lindaler (2 Jan) and Seasick Sailor(Rotterdam to 1/16) , MissG (Nieuw Statendam to 1/9),  NCTribeFan and JAM37 (NA to 12/23), Sea Viewer (Allure OTS until 12/19) and Crazy for Cats (NCL Dawn to 12/19)
Ger_77 contacts with Kazu
Welcome home highland cruiser
Aliaschief in West Florida for DD and DGD Birthdaysz
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female staff captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 11

Thanks for the Daily Report.

I love maple syrup!  I don't own an ugly Christmas sweater.  A big thank you to the Wright brothers.

Love George Carlin.

The meal suggestion sounds like a side dish to me, but I guess I could add some chicken.  I'll wait and see the recipe.

Not sure about the drink of the day, but hope the wine is tasty.

It's the 15th anniversary of the death of my father.  Christmas brings happy memories, but sad ones too.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful Friday.

Stay safe.

• Like 25

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Although we're Canadian, we don't eat a lot of maple syrup; when I worked, I always wore a Christmas sweater (they weren't called "ugly" then!) or sparkly vest to work every day in December.  It's amazing what you can hide under judicial robes!   So grateful for the Wright Brothers, as they opened the world for all of us.

Today's quote made me chuckle - I always enjoyed George Carlin, he had a way of stating the obvious that made things sound funny.

We had some snow overnight, but it's the light powdery stuff, so that means two things:  it warmed up enough to snow, and we can use the heavy duty leaf blower to move it off the driveway and sidewalks, rather than shoveling.  Yay for both.

While DH was away for the day, I figured I'd do some more baking and was going to make Butter Tart Slice, only to find I had about 1/3 the amount of raisins needed for the recipe.  I checked the cupboard and found a huge bag of craisins, so figured, why not?  Well it turned into a fruity, slightly tart slice that is really quite nice - one I think I'll make again.  I'll make another batch of the regular recipe today to make up baking trays for a couple of friends, and will include both kinds of slice on them.  Speaking of baking:

667277977_BakingTip.thumb.jpg.47a25a1008b717960d96c2d1c82f9a7a.jpg

We like fried rice, but I've never thought of adding pineapple to it - it sounds like there will be 2 types of people, just like those who do or don't like it on pizza.  I can take it or leave it on pizza, but ham & pineapple is really good.  Speaking of pizza, it's Friday night pizza night at our house, so we'll peruse the online menus to see what appeals to us and will enjoy pizza in front of the fireplace tonight.  And wine.

scratching-tree.jpeg.c75f5478fc8f9ec38c2fa1dc36a2a610.jpeg

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers continuing for Jose, his medical team, and Jacqui for strength.  Also extra prayers for those who have experienced loss at this time of year.  We'll clink the glasses together to celebrate all on the happy list.  Stay safe, wash your hands, get your boosters, wear your masks, be well, and stay warm!

Smooth Sailing!🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 30
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 6

Good Morning everyone! Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, and thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebrations Report. And thank you everyone for caring and sharing! Happy Friday to all!

We received notification yesterday for our January dropping Aruba as a port call. It unfortunately shows that we are still not back to normal times.

I noticed the shortage of Maple Syrup at the hotel last week. Somehow waffles for breakfast always need Maple Syrup.  😉

- Jack

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 25

2 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

Good Morning everyone! Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, and thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebrations Report. And thank you everyone for caring and sharing! Happy Friday to all!

We received notification yesterday for our January dropping Aruba as a port call. It unfortunately shows that we are still not back to normal times.

Which ship?

• Like 10

Good afternoon from a sunny 52°F NE England.

Many thanks to Rich and Roy for your excellent work every day.

Interesting days today.

Thumbs down for the quote,food and drink of the day.

We have never been to today's port so looking forward to seeing photos.

Prayers 🙏 and best wishes to everyone who are unwell.

Take care and above all else stay safe.😷

Graham.

Screenshot_20211217_121947.jpg

Screenshot_20211217_121620.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Good morning Rich and fellow Daily-ites from Bonaire.

Prayers for Jose and Jacqui. Prayers for our Roy. Prayers lifted for our lengthy prayer list. Roy, our friend has not responded in 2 days and is on heavy morphine. His wife sits vigil up to 12 hours, holding his hand and talking or reading to him. They've been best friends for most their lives. It's heart wrenching.

I completed my walk thru a mist of rain. Looks to be a beautiful day. I have not been to this island, so very excited to go ashore.

Everyone has been great about masking, however yesterday I was getting a cup of tea and a huge monster of a guy came in wearing Speedo's, no mask, and a huge sun burnt belly to get iced tea. I turned around and this little waiter told him he needed a shirt and mask. The monster said "holy hell don't you have anything else to do but harass me" There's all kinds, isn't there?

Looks like we're ready to seize the day. Catch up later!

Cheers and Blessings!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Good morning and thanks for the update.

i have been to the Wright brothers monument at Kill Devil hills, would like to go back someday

I have a nerve conduction test at noon , supposed to be like an ultrasound from the description, it says to wear loose clothing, I’m still not sure about this Dr , it seems like a no win situation.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists, especially Jacqui and Jose ant and Father Himself ❤️🙏

• Like 22
  • Thanks 5

Good morning, everyone. 

Continued prayers for @kazu Jacqui and Jose.  Here's hoping we'll hear from @Himself today.

I am staying in mostly these days before my trip to Michigan for Christmas.   I don't want to drag along any nasty bugs.  My sister who is hosting is requiring an at home COVID test.  I guess we're on the honor system for actually doing it and reporting the results.  We did reach agreement to have prime rib for Christmas dinner.  

My other poor sister has no power this morning.  It went out  yesterday morning at 5:45 am and they estimate they will have it restored tomorrow at 5:30 pm.   

Today's meal is a side dish.   One recipe does call for some diced ham, but even then the amount of ham still constitutes a side dish.   If you want a main dish, add more.  This first recipe is the basic one to start with:  https://cookieandkate.com/thai-pineapple-fried-rice-recipe/

183823436_pineapplefriedrice2.thumb.jpg.64b485c3a003f333ad07b0143db0b5d1.jpg

This next one adds ham for a protein component.  https://damndelicious.net/2014/06/25/pineapple-fried-rice/

Pineapple-Fried-Rice-1.thumb.jpg.9be5b03d297000ca98857b8e164ab52a.jpg

And this one shows shrimp.  That would be my choice.   Of course, I'm skipping this dish because of carbs, but the shrimp version still sounds best to me.   https://thewoksoflife.com/pineapple-fried-rice/

pineapple-fried-rice-19.thumb.jpg.4590ce8aa844ee5ce054cf502de34476.jpg

Enjoy, everyone!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 6

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! When do you fly down for your cruise?
Love the combination of days!

Thank you for our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyites. Praying that today is the day where the medical team finds the answer for Jose’s well being & for Jacqui’s peace of mind. @ger_77, Gerry thank you for reaching out to Jacqui and sharing her message with us. 

Haircut for me today. Good thing too. One of my neighbors thought I had earmuffs on this morning. Definitely NOT the look I am going for. Then errands, before my weekend visitor arrives. And wrapping the day up at my local beachfront winery, because they are offering an ugly Christmas sweater or T-shirt (it is Florida after all) discount.

11C3EDB3-D7E9-4E3C-8964-DC825ED7A615.jpeg.a9ffa60394fe5ac8726560c63c1ec23b.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers for all who are celebrating. Stay well everyone. 

Castello di Fonterutoli Chianti Classico Gran Selezione DOCG

All vintages of this Chianti share the same excellent ratings, so find on at the right price. The more recent vintages might need to age a bit, but with prices starting at $24.00, they are worth waiting for. 

Notes from the “alcohol professor”

Gran Selezione is a classification established in 2014 for Chianti Classico DOCG. Gran Selezione is the best of the best and only six percent of Chianti Classico DOCG production has qualified for Gran Selezione. Chianti Classico Gran Selezione is a classification level above Riserva, made using grapes harvested only from a winery’s own vineyards within the same zone. Gran Selezione must be a minimum of 80% sangiovese and a minimum of 13% alcohol. The wine must be aged a minimum of 30 months with a minimum of three months in the bottle.

Gran Selezione wines are terroir-driven wines. According to Giovanni Mazzei, “Gran Selezione has changed the way we see the Chianti Classico. The rules do not make the wines. It is how we see the wines. It is a new way to see the great wines of this region.”

Mazzei is one of the first producers to produce three separate crus from three different districts. Within each district, Mazzei added, “you can see the difference in how the places, with the complexity in terms of soil, impact the wine.”

The flagship wine from the Castello di Fonterutoli estate, this wine is made from a selection of eleven of the best vineyard plots surrounding the Fonterutoli hamlet in Castellina. The vineyard plots sit at altitudes of 420-510 meters above sea level and the soils are rocky limestone and chalk. The vines are between 25 and 30 years old. Each plot is vinified separately in stainless steel and then aged in French oak barrels for 18 months, followed by four months in concrete.

This wine was first produced in 1995 and colorino and malvasia were blended with sangiovese. But the 2017 vintage is the first vintage to make the wine 100% sangiovese. The wine has dark aromas of wild berries, black cherry, orange peel, lavender, and leather. On the palate, the wine is energetic and fresh with silky tannins.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

Good morning friends!  It was 55F and foggy when I got out of bed so did the treadmill in the downstairs sunroom.  Hoping it's a good weekend ahead for everyone.

Yesterday was a good day $$$ wise for me.  I had contacted our TA about the Princess Best.Sale.Ever. promo since our next cruise is a B2B on Island Princess.  The first one was refared at a significant savings to us, the second one was slightly higher in price so was left alone.  After that was established I went back and changed our cruise line airfare to a different category and changed a chunk of change there, too.  I believe it was about a $4,000 savings!  That doesn't happen everyday!  Yippee!!😃

Thank you @richwmnRich for the Daily report.  I'm very appreciative to @rafinmdRoy for your work in preparing the Care and Celebration lists each day.  Prayers for Roy and each and everyone in need and cheers to those with celebrations ahead.  First, I haven't been to Hualien, Taiwan as of yet.  The Pineapple Fried Rice sounds a bit odd but who know?  It could be fantastic and looks interesting.  I hope your sister's power comes on soon @dfishDebbie.  When do you leave for Michigan and your Christmas visit?  Love the Carlin quote.  Maple syrup is great.  I have some older Christmas sweaters/vests that aren't really ugly but I don't wear them anymore so I should donate them and get them out of the house.  In honor of Wright Brothers day I will board one of those newfangled flying machines today (and tomorrow).  Hope they've worked out all the kinks!  LOL😂  Seems safer than driving, honestly.

@Mr. Bostongood thoughts and prayers sent out to your DS as she has her hip replaced.  Hoping she has a quick recovery and it doesn't affect her Christmas too much.  

Special thoughts and prayers for @Himselfas he goes through battling Covid.  And finally I want to send extra love and prayers to @kazuJacqui and her beloved Jose as they work on getting him back to good health.  Also want to send prayers the physicians can come up with the best plan for him.  🙏

@1ANGELCAThoping your test goes okay today.  @Seasick Sailorwe send extra love to your friend Walker and his wife as he nears the end.  Have a nice day all!

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 1

@richwmn thank you for correcting my post.  I thought i would just sneak in before the day started, and post, and then left.  Had no idea i had fried it.  thank you for posting it correctly for me.

Ugly Christmas sweaters...on another cruise line that we have been cruising with, my DH won the ugly Christmas sweater contest one year, and came in third wearing the same sweater two years later.  He hates the sweater, but loves winning a ship on a stick,  LOL.  I keep telling him to wear it around town, but apparently he thinks it is only a cruise worthy sweater.  We love cruising at Christmas, but this year we both had surgery on veins, and our doctor said, no cruising for us for a year.  

I got the opportunity to stream by high schools Christmas program last nigh.  We moved the love seat in front of the computer, and while I remember it being totally a Christmas program when I went there, 40 plus years ago, they took the word Christmas out , and just called it the Star.  The premise of the song choices were out of the darkness and into the light.  I think they still could have closed with Break forth, Oh Beauteous heavenly light, but not one Christmas song at all.  While lovely, I was a bit disappointed.

I don't usually procrastinate Christmas shopping.  I had a gift card, and tried to use it to finish up the shopping.  A week went by, and I went in and checked the order. and it said cancelled.  I called, and they told me that I would have to have twice the amount of the purchase on the card -just in case-to cover the order, and they cancelled the order.  So now with less than a week, ?? I get to do my Christmas shopping.  ARGHHH!

I hope everyone has better luck than I did.  Prayers to all that need them, and wild dancing party for those celebrating!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1