A tale of woe and misery (mostly our fault but no less depressing)

tafawke

What a nightmare, this morning as  I was checking in that his proof of covid vaccination certificate had a name mismatch... middle name first, first name in the middle... 8 hours of ringing around to try and fix it, the official document that it was taken from (OHIP) was corrected... but certificate still has old information and we need to ring ANOTHER government official tomorrow (fortunately open on Saturday morning) and get the certificate amended... (we hope)... but we miss our 7.40am flight and of course no amount of begging would sway the flight booking person, nor his supervisor... so another $2000 in refundable flights (if we cancel in 24 hours) and 10 hours after our initial flights... so not arriving in NOLA until midnight Saturday night - so much for my dinner with my friend who lives there... and this is all as long as we get the certificate amended... if not - we can't go... but, I am packing and hoping...  Yes, I accept that at the end of the day it is 'our' fault for not noticing, but he has been using it for several months at restaurants and cinemas and no one has noticed that his ID is different to the certificate... I am posting this simply because I am so miserable and worried...  

Feel your pain, did you try and call NCL, if the switched names are the same but in different order as on his passport, I would think maybe just maybe, it won't be a problem.  We had to put our names on our CDC cards, the vaccination clinic added the stickers with vaccine number, etc.    If we had to get new ones, I know we couldn't get it done here on a Saturday. (from small community in Oregon) , am hoping you do.  Let us know

Had a similar issue with Covid vax proof name not matching my ID exactly but realized in enough time to correct the situation.  Wishing you all the best as you go forward.  Can well imagine the stress you're under... a nightmare.  Please report back how you make out.

Edited by lgdesign

Whew!  I had to quickly check my vaccation card.  I go by Julie, but my legal name on my DL and passport is Julia.  We filled in our names ourself on the vax cards, and thank goodness I wrote Julia!  We sail in 3 weeks, so I would have had time to fix it, but I'm glad I don't have to worry about that.

OP, good luck to you!

• Like 1

Update.... we have the new document with the correct order of names... it was a stressful night and I was aware at 3am just starting at the ceiling... we called the magic number at 8.55am (they were supposed to open at 9am) and they answered, we had our updated doc in minutes (although he couldn't find ANY record for a minute or two - that was a panic moment) we are presently eating lunch at a pub near the airport before our 3pm flight... I won't be totally relaxed until after we board tomorrow.... 

• Like 14

Whew, that was closed.  Thanks for sharing & great to hear that they're able to fix and re-issue the docs with proper info on it.  Safe & healthy travel, happy cruising and enjoy - make the most out of it.  Lesson for others to note.  

BTW, how's weather up in Ottawa lately ... aren't sure if we are going to make that long drive next summer/early Fall.

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

Whew, that was closed.  Thanks for sharing & great to hear that they're able to fix and re-issue the docs with proper info on it.  Safe & healthy travel, happy cruising and enjoy - make the most out of it.  Lesson for others to note.  

BTW, how's weather up in Ottawa lately ... aren't sure if we are going to make that long drive next summer/early Fall.

The view from the Air Canada Lounge.... it started snowing as we arrived at the airport... but weather has been milder than usual (apparently... this is only my 3rd Canadian winter... Aussie here)

20211218_140122.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That's crazy to have to go through so much for a vaccine card amendment. For us, we walked into a different place, showed the messed up card, showed our ID, and the simply filled out a new one. No questions asked. We also requested second cards from our State's DHHS. They sent them in the mail and received them in about a week. This way we had 2 sets in case something happens.

I had a bit of a panic attack myself. My DH has two middle names and his passport shows both - the same as is on his birth certificate. His drivers license and most paperwork only uses one. His medical records only use one. When we got our pre-cruise covid tests at the local clinic/hospital it showed only one middle name, not both - this would not match the passport. I decided not to worry about it and just went. I have no idea if it was because we were some of the last to board, but the person checking hardly looked at our paperwork on the negative test so it was no big deal. I figured that we did have his drivers license along showing only the one middle name.

New update.... first, they never even checked the documents (they're govt issue certificate rather than cards with vax details)... second we're delayed in Montreal 2hours and counting.... no way we will make our connection in Chicago (only flights we could book last night) so we may be overnighting in Chicago and hoping Air Canada rebooks us on the Spirit flight that leaves at 6am and gets into New Orleans at 8.37am... it's our only chance of making the cruise now....

• Like 2

11 hours ago, tafawke said:

New update.... first, they never even checked the documents (they're govt issue certificate rather than cards with vax details)... second we're delayed in Montreal 2hours and counting.... no way we will make our connection in Chicago (only flights we could book last night) so we may be overnighting in Chicago and hoping Air Canada rebooks us on the Spirit flight that leaves at 6am and gets into New Orleans at 8.37am... it's our only chance of making the cruise now....

🤞 that you make your cruise, have a wonderful cruise, and then write a review for everyone to enjoy.

14 hours ago, tafawke said:

Ok Girl, I'm totally cheering for you here from Michigan!! Once you get on that ship it's going to be the best tasting margarita of your life. Sending positive energy your way.

• Like 1

Had a similar experience with test results that did not have our middle names included.  We got a rather overzealous airline ticket counter agent when we were checking in for our flight to Greece.  This was about 1.5 hrs prior to flight!  We were absolutely in full on panic.  However, it was on a weekday and I was able to call the pharmacy and explain the situation.  Within about 10 minutes he had a new result document...but that pharmacy was on the other side of town.  The same ticket agent then went out of her way to help, providing a FAX number right there at the counter.  5 minutes later we had the corrected test results.  We made the flight!

On topic: according to FlightAware, the early AM Spirit flight ORD-MSY arrived on-time/early, although it's not clear whether Air Canada would endorse OP's tickets & help rebook them on the Airbus 320 ... giving them time to complete testing & check-in to board by now.  Tracking a late morning flight, smaller E175L regional jet also arrived on schedule around 1 pm, that would be very close ... hoping they got on and are rushing thru the madness.  Fingers crossed for them and to read about it soon.  

Other flights are afternoon & evening ones ... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I completely understand the emotions the OP is feeling right now.  Ours was not a name problem but a date problem.  The pharmacy did not date my DH's vaccine card.  We did not even notice it until he showed his card at the port!  Luckily we live in a small town and personally know the pharmasist but it was a Sunday and the pharmacy was not open.  I called him at home and he actually went to the pharmacy pulled up the information and emailed me a formal letter with the date vaccine lot number and all info needed.  Then we had to sit and wait for what seemed like an eternity to see if it would be accepted.  It was and we were lucky enough to board.  

1 hour ago, TSUmom said:

I completely understand the emotions the OP is feeling right now.  Ours was not a name problem but a date problem.  The pharmacy did not date my DH's vaccine card.  We did not even notice it until he showed his card at the port!  Luckily we live in a small town and personally know the pharmasist but it was a Sunday and the pharmacy was not open.  I called him at home and he actually went to the pharmacy pulled up the information and emailed me a formal letter with the date vaccine lot number and all info needed.  Then we had to sit and wait for what seemed like an eternity to see if it would be accepted.  It was and we were lucky enough to board.  

Wow! Glad it worked it out for you. That must have been very stressful.

• Like 1