Holiday Egg Nog

rkacruiser

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Which do you prefer?

Egg Nog plain?

Egg Nog with Rum, Bourbon, or Whiskey? 

Enjoy Nog plain but if want to warm the cockles Bourbon of course.

Need to pickup a container soon. Never made a real one but once did have the real thing.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Need to pickup a container soon. Never made a real one but once did have the real thing.

Ahhh…egg nog.  The best egg nog for me is a simple version of English Cream.  I take 1 quart half and half and one quart whole milk then beat in 6 egg yolks add a cup of sugar or more if you like it sweeter.  Heat the mixture to simmer and add a very small amount of roux (one or two or three teaspoons of roux depending on desired thickness) to thicken and then continue to simmer for 15 minutes while stirring…add homemade vanilla with a trace of nutmeg and chill then you have a delicious and safe egg nog…without raw eggs.  I love it straight up or with a small amount of bourbon or cognac/brandy or rum.  If I add spirits I usually add ice.  This recipe, for me, is better than any store bought version that I know of.

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Don't care for Bourbon, do like Egg Nog Plain, but, I am thinking of using some Canadian Club to spike it up a bit.  Is this a wrong beverage to use?  

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Don't care for Bourbon, do like Egg Nog Plain, but, I am thinking of using some Canadian Club to spike it up a bit.  Is this a wrong beverage to use?  

i've used a Good Scotch too!

Rum is to Rummy..

14 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

That would definitely work.  The funny thing is that I enjoy egg nog straight more than a spirited egg nog…lol.

• Thanks 1

Commercial eggnog is usually too sweet and gluey for me, and the nutmeg is too strong. However, in days of yore when I was a pastry chef, I used to make an eggnog torte that was three layers of yellow sponge cake soaked with a rum syrup, filled with an eggnog mousse and topped off with whipped cream. That was delightful and very popular with our holiday banquet guests.

As an aside, a Tom and Jerry is something I can get behind, though!

Edited by CntPAcruiser
  • Like 1

At my upscale grocer, I discovered a commercial brand of Egg Nog that was new to me.  C. F. Burger Creamery's product that was rich and more delicious than any Egg Nog that I have purchased at other grocers, such as Kroger's.  At $4.29/quart, I hoped it would be good and it was.  Another quart is on my shopping list for this week.  

Glass #1 was plain,  Glass #2 contained a double CC.  Too much CC, I decided.  Will try with a single dose of CC, but, drinking it plain, may be the most enjoyable thing for me to do.  

15 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

At my upscale grocer, I discovered a commercial brand of Egg Nog that was new to me.  C. F. Burger Creamery's product that was rich and more delicious than any Egg Nog that I have purchased at other grocers, such as Kroger's.  At $4.29/quart, I hoped it would be good and it was.  Another quart is on my shopping list for this week.  

Glass #1 was plain,  Glass #2 contained a double CC.  Too much CC, I decided.  Will try with a single dose of CC, but, drinking it plain, may be the most enjoyable thing for me to do.  

Our area is Southern Comfort, Farmland and Bordens besides the local store brands.

Used it on the day before Christmas Eve with QM2 Scotch we purchases. It was warm and tangy..

On 12/26/2021 at 7:25 PM, rkacruiser said:

Getting the mixture of alcohol to balance with your egg nog can be tricky.  Most people add too much when less is actually the answer.  I prefer brandy in my egg nog but rum will do.

2 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Getting the mixture of alcohol to balance with your egg nog can be tricky.  Most people add too much when less is actually the answer.  I prefer brandy in my egg nog but rum will do.

The Best Way Is To Keep Trying... Can be challenging but to taste can be fun even if wrong.

Going to open the Bubbly in 5 minutes.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My Dad used to make some supercharged eggnog with a mix of Brandy, Whiskey, and Rum.  I usually left out the whiskey and then I could actually manage to drink a small punch bowl cup of it.

I also like plain store bought unleaded eggnog but usually only buy a quart at Christmas since it is a lot of sugar.

18 hours ago, Seamus6 said:

My Dad used to make some supercharged eggnog with a mix of Brandy, Whiskey, and Rum.  I usually left out the whiskey and then I could actually manage to drink a small punch bowl cup of it.

I also like plain store bought unleaded eggnog but usually only buy a quart at Christmas since it is a lot of sugar.

I have not had a really good eggnog since my last Christmas office party in 2004.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/6/2023 at 4:45 AM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

By golly I’m going to try the Bourbon in my nog!  I love Bourbon.  A well made Manhattan is my go-to high octane drink .

Hi CGT, you and my brother in law would be drinking partners.......that is favorite libation!

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi CGT, you and my brother in law would be drinking partners.......that is favorite libation!

Hi Lois,

A well crafted Manhattan is an art form.  I like mine just a bit on the sweet side with red vermouth and good bourbon.  I have a number of the usual favorites…Woodford Reserve, Knob Creek, Makers Mark, etc.  Surprisingly JW Dickel is among that list.   

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE