SURPRISE! Your 4-night sailing has a FORMAL NIGHT! (Majestic Princess, December 18-22, 2021)

RSS from SF

5 hours ago, c-boy said:

what ! passengers had been requesting it !  😮  this can't be. I was being led to believe that, "  The majority of people just don’t go for formal wear any longer. "   

i'm shocked shocked i tell you - Claude Raines | Meme Generator

and by the way  that fine looking gentleman in the meme, is Tony .... when he was younger .

Perhaps they were more interested in the formal night menu items.  Especially if they were asking on board since they would not have been expecting to have one and perhaps wouldn't have brought their normal attire.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pam in CA said:

There’s the published Princess guide on the number of formal nights… and then there’s Captain’s “discretion.”

Doesn't happen often but sometimes, the Captain will either add or cancel a formal night. I’ve seen both.

It doesn’t mean Princess has changed their guidelines. 

But there is a difference if a voyage is not even expected to have one as in <5 nights.  A guest could hardly be expected to be prepared with formal wear - even if they normally participate - if sailing on a 3 or 4 night cruise and one pops up in the Patter.

No, there has been little change to published guidelines, but most certainly there has been a change in what is accepted at the door for several years now.

5 hours ago, jkrislc said:

Onboard the Majestic right now and was also surprised by the unexpected formal night. The cruise director said that passengers had been requesting it, but that it wasn’t going to be enforced. I had no problem with a dress shirt and dark black jeans. 

Like I mentioned, perhaps those passengers were more interested in having the formal night menu items.

11 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Perhaps they were more interested in the formal night menu items.  Especially if they were asking on board since they would not have been expecting to have one and perhaps wouldn't have brought their normal attire.  

I don’t recall what the Princess formal menu looks like, but tonight is our last night onboard and it’s “surf and turf” night. The menu seems to have more of what I recall being formal options. On the so-called formal/not formal night, they did have duck, but everything else was pretty benign. 

20 hours ago, NSWP said:

Jacket and tie/dark suit/Tuxedo wear is suggested but has not been enforced for a couple of years at least. If Princess is not going to enforce their dress code policy, then get rid of the so called 'Formal Night(s).

lowes.jpg.447029ef1491c5889dbf91084090c17c.jpg

Or keep it like it is; some like it.

1 hour ago, jwattle said:

Or keep it like it is; some like it.

But it don't look right on a formal night with one guy doing the right thing in his tux or dark suit and another guy next to him at the table in jeans and t shirt, it happens.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

But it don't look right on a formal night with one guy doing the right thing in his tux or dark suit and another guy next to him at the table in jeans and t shirt, it happens.

Hello I'm sir Godfrey, and this fine chap is my gardener ... 😄

• Like 1

On 12/20/2021 at 4:02 PM, jkrislc said:

The cruise director said that passengers had been requesting it, but that it wasn’t going to be enforced.

On 12/20/2021 at 4:34 PM, c-boy said:

what ! passengers had been requesting it !  😮  this can't be. I was being led to believe that, "  The majority of people just don’t go for formal wear any longer. "   

The CD did not say how many passengers requested it. Might have been only a very few.

On 12/20/2021 at 9:47 PM, Steelers36 said:

Perhaps they were more interested in the formal night menu items.

Or maybe they did not realize the short cruise was not supposed to have a formal evening.

Yes, it is in the Personalizer. Yes it has been a policy for a number of years. But still some people board with no idea of how many formal evenings there should be. Expecting one, they may have brought their dressier clothes with them. Of course, nothing prevents them from dressing up every evening of the cruise if they wish to.

• Like 2

On 12/20/2021 at 7:56 PM, NSWP said:

Jacket and tie/dark suit/Tuxedo wear is suggested but has not been enforced for a couple of years at least. If Princess is not going to enforce their dress code policy, then get rid of the so called 'Formal Night(s).

lowes.jpg.447029ef1491c5889dbf91084090c17c.jpg

Maybe not get rid of them since they are some people that live for them.

Simply have it written that it's optional (the way it is right now) so there won't be people that drag along formal clothing thinking that it's mandatory only to find out that it isn't so.

Edited by MissP22
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, caribill said:

Or maybe they did not realize the short cruise was not supposed to have a formal evening.

Yes, it is in the Personalizer. Yes it has been a policy for a number of years. But still some people board with no idea of how many formal evenings there should be. Expecting one, they may have brought their dressier clothes with them. Of course, nothing prevents them from dressing up every evening of the cruise if they wish to.

Think you may have missed the point.  Princess explicitly indicates zero formal nights for voyages of less than 5 nights.  Poster was on a 4 night voyage and a surprise indication of formal night popped up in the Patter one day.  Apparently some passengers had been requesting one on the voyage.  Guests could not be expected to be prepared for a formal night in such a situation. 

I will acknowledge that their will always be some clueless guests, but in this case it was a "surprise" from ship personnel.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Think you may have missed the point.  Princess explicitly indicates zero formal nights for voyages of less than 5 nights.  Poster was on a 4 night voyage and a surprise indication of formal night popped up in the Patter one day.  Apparently some passengers had been requesting one on the voyage.  Guests could not be expected to be prepared for a formal night in such a situation. 

I will acknowledge that their will always be some clueless guests, but in this case it was a "surprise" from ship personnel.

I agree that point was that knowledgeable cruisers knew there was not supposed to be a formal evening.

My point was that clueless passengers expected one.