Observations From The Poop Deck Christmas/New Years Equinox

morpheusofthesea

20 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

"Frankly," while in the middle of an ocean during a pandemic,  anxiety can be even more overwhelming to a passenger than the actual virus.  I would rather be lied to than have a heart attack or stroke over the fear of something I have been inoculated against.

I do not think the Captain or anyone should add commentary as to a COVID case being serious or not. It is either a positive or negative situation and that is all the information that should be communicated. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RollWave said:

I do not think the Captain or anyone should add commentary as to a COVID case being serious or not. It is either a positive or negative situation and that is all the information that should be communicated. 

Yours is a very valid point of view. Let us not discount the 'power of suggestion' or 'the placebo effect' or the tenet "Whatever the mind can conceive of and believe in, can be achieved" (Napoleon Hill) or 'perception is reality.' The mind is a very powerful 'thing', not to be trifled.

3 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Yours is a very valid point of view. Let us not discount the 'power of suggestion' or 'the placebo effect' or the tenet "Whatever the mind can conceive of and believe in, can be achieved" (Napoleon Hill) or 'perception is reality.' The mind is a very powerful 'thing', not to be trifled.

We sailed with Captain Matt for three weeks in August. He does not take any of this lightly. 

1 hour ago, JerseyGirlatHeart said:

Thank you so much.  Understand things will change daily, but dO you know how they are currently handling masking in the Gym?  Just into the room, but not while using equipment?

I understand where you are coming from. We came on Celebrity because we did not want to wear masks. Now that the Captain 'requested' we all wear masks (I say requested, because at least 25% still refuse to wear masks at all) and no one on board is enforcing this mask policy. I only had trouble breathing with the mask while climbing the stairs from deck 3 to deck 11 today.

Interesting tidbit of information, should one like to stay in the Retreat and have the rest of the family stay in two lowers on the inside. We have on board grandparents who are residing in the Retreat and have 9 other family members outside the Retreat.They had New Years Eve dinner together in the Luminae at 8:50 pm. Found out that the cost is $15 pp for a breakfast, $20 pp for lunch, $30 pp for dinner. Not bad.  Also the Retreat bathrobes are $60 each (for a brand new one).

Edited by morpheusofthesea

Last night we got back to our cabin and found a couple of things amiss. No extra towels, shower gel refill, or notice to set our clocks back one hour. This morning when we got back to cabin after breakfast our room was not 'made-up' as usual. No steward to be seen. Went down to Retreat Lounge to ask about our room steward and some extra luggage tags (6). No Retreat hosts. A retreat waiter called for a service rep and their boss came into the Retreat Lounge, found us some extra luggage tags (6) and informed us that both our Retreat hosts are in 5 day quarantine. One felt ill yesterday and tested negative, but management protocol calls for quarantining and further testing anyway and since the other Retreat Host is a close contact, she as well. 

Though the Captain has given more announcements, he has not provided us with there being any new cases. There must be new cases on our deck, because our steward is missing for the same reason. She tested negative but is in 5 day quarantine as well as our second butler. We now have a third butler.

I find this reassuring that Celebrity protocol removes staff immediately before they become contagious and places them in 5 day monitored quarantine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Now for another 'human interest' story. While walking this morning around the 'walk/run' track on deck 14, I noticed this nice lady preparing to save, her and her party, 3 deck chairs on the sunny side of the track (right side of photo). Then proceeded to save another 3 deck chairs under the awning for shade just opposite on the left side of photo. It didn't take her long to leave. Found her saving a table on the back of the ship , outside the Oceanview Cafe. 

IMG_1470.jpg

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Now for another 'human interest' story. While walking this morning around the 'walk/run' track on deck 14, I noticed this nice lady preparing to save, her and her party, 3 deck chairs on the sunny side of the track (right side of photo). Then proceeded to save another 3 deck chairs under the awning for shade just opposite on the left side of photo. It didn't take her long to leave. Found her saving a table on the back of the ship , outside the Oceanview Cafe. 

IMG_1470.jpg

You should have come behind her and removed everything.....

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

Here are a couple of photos of the 'new and improved' Ocean View Cafe. The plates have been removed and stacked behind glass to be served to guests. Also noticed that guests have to ask server for spoon for their cereal or fruit cup (unless they eat with their fingers, which I have seen as well).

IMG_1471.jpg

IMG_1472.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

IMG_1470.jpg

I’m sure she was just making sure she could effectively social distance from others when she comes back out to use them. 😂😂

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, tompeter said:

You should have come behind her and removed everything.....

'That's not cricket.' My solution has been to pay for a cabin with a large enough veranda to fit a lounger and tipping a butler to accommodate me. Too many times have I found a perfect spot and I get a sick passenger sit close to me and get me sick 3-5 days later. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

In this photo it's not the 'saved ' lounge chairs in the foreground, it's the children lifejackets that DW pointed out to me this morning. She says she sees the staff dipping each jacket into a bucket of disinfectant every day as she makes her rounds around the ship.

IMG_1473.jpg

Edited by morpheusofthesea

39 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

IMG_1470.jpg

Saw this on Equinox 4 years ago  5 people one in the Sun and another in shade

While waiting in the Retreat Lounge for a Retreat host and luggage tags there is this monitor with about 40 commercials for Celebrity. I have heard it talked about, but never actually seen it put in writing until this flashed up. "Tour with peace of mind". "Assured Never Left Behind". I guess this extends anywhere in the world that Celebrity sails.

IMG_1474.jpg

Went down to deck 3, atrium deck, and noticed a transformation. Before and after photos of Christmas 2021. Stood in line, social distanced and masked, to ask guest services a very important question. What is the difference between the free, complimentary ice cream on deck 14 Ocean View Cafe and the charged for ice cream on deck 5 opposite end of Cafe al Bacio ?  Well, a smile came upon the purser's face as he described the difference about textures and flavors and that the kiosk on deck 5 was really 'gelato' not 'ice cream'. They fooled me, I couldn't tell the difference.

IMG_1476.jpg

IMG_1478.jpg

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Went down to deck 3, atrium deck, and noticed a transformation. Before and after photos of Christmas 2021. Stood in line, social distanced and masked, to ask guest services a very important question. What is the difference between the free, complimentary ice cream on deck 14 Ocean View Cafe and the charged for ice cream on deck 5 opposite end of Cafe al Bacio ?  Well, a smile came upon the purser's face as he described the difference about textures and flavors and that the kiosk on deck 5 was really 'gelato' not 'ice cream'. They fooled me, I couldn't tell the difference.

IMG_1476.jpg

IMG_1478.jpg

What flavor did you try.  Pistachio on a waffle cone is my favorite. (I have never paid extra for it)

Edited by jagoffee

1 hour ago, jagoffee said:

What flavor did you try.  Pistachio on a waffle cone is my favorite. (I have never paid extra for it)

Chocolate. I know you never pay extra, because you always report to us from top level suites and know all the included amenities that come with these suites. You are always one of the most helpful posters on this forum.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, morpheusofthesea said:

What is the difference between the free, complimentary ice cream on deck 14 Ocean View Cafe and the charged for ice cream on deck 5 opposite end of Cafe al Bacio ?  

The rum raisin gelato is my reason to visit there.  It's high-test = the raisins are soaked in rum.  Very tasty occasional dessert.