Playing out scenarios

ledbyrain

I'm hoping to benefit from some risk/benefit insight (I know nothing is zero risk, etc., etc.) for my upcoming cruise given current circumstances. A few factors seem to me to affect how things will play out in the next several weeks and I would love to hear thoughts:

1. Do you think most RCCL cruisers are boosted? Basically, are RCCL cruisers (generally) public health-minded consumers or does it vary widely?

2. Similar to #1, is it likely RCCL cruisers would make strong efforts to have their 5-11 children fully vaxxed (i.e., 14 days out from 2nd dose) by 12/26 sailing?

3. Are there sufficient outdoor dining experiences (non-specialty dining) to avoid any unmasked indoor dining during the trip?

4. Is there enough back up crew so that core experiences (e.g., shows, amenities) are unlikely to be cancelled/closed even with some crew members isolating/quarantined? 

Scenario 1: Everything great, no positives on board, smooth sailing (seems unlikely)

Scenario 2: Some logistical disappointments, don't get sick but enough positives on board to feel edgy about crowded hot tubs, etc. (seems likely). Feel okay about money spent. Questions: Any chance of FCC if it's not a good experience due to cancellations, etc.?

Scenario 3: Close contact of a positive passenger, test negative. Questions: Still have to quarantine? Can I stay in my own (balcony) room if I do?

Scenario 4: Close contact of a positive passenger, test positive, not feeling sick but forced to isolate. Questions: In another cabin? Poor food and without good access to entertainment (e.g., TV/movies, cards, boardgames)? Without family? Have to leave ship or can I just isolate? (seems possible given current doubling of cases every 3 days). Any chance of FCC if it's a disaster?

Scenario 5: Positive and one of my (vaxxed but not boosted due to age) children sick at a worrisome level (pneumonia or bronciolitis, as seen in SA). Enough pediatric medical care available, medical evacuation (to home city?). Seems unlikely (God willing) but obviously worst outcome and feel like a terrible parent for even taking this risk in the first place.

1 - I'm vaxxed and won't get the booster.

2 - My kids are grown, but if they weren't - no way would I give them the shot. 

3 - Depends on your age, I suppose. Not having indoor vaccinated only areas for dancing, bars, etc., is a deal breaker for us. 

4 - Doesn't sound like it, but I'm only guessing at this point. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ledbyrain said:

1. Do you think most RCCL cruisers are boosted? Basically, are RCCL cruisers (generally) public health-minded consumers or does it vary widely?

2. Similar to #1, is it likely RCCL cruisers would make strong efforts to have their 5-11 children fully vaxxed (i.e., 14 days out from 2nd dose) by 12/26 sailing?

3. Are there sufficient outdoor dining experiences (non-specialty dining) to avoid any unmasked indoor dining during the trip?

4. Is there enough back up crew so that core experiences (e.g., shows, amenities) are unlikely to be cancelled/closed even with some crew members isolating/quarantined? 

We have been on four cruise so far post restart, and based solely on our experiences (YMMV):

1: Highly doubtful considering the % of adults globally who are boosted.

2: Highly doubtful considering that a recent survey found that only~30% of parents were comfortable with getting their children vaccinated.

3: Depending on which ship, you can have virtually no outdoor dining venues to only a limited number of grab-n-go venues.

4: Also highly doubtful if any of the front-facing crew engaged in those activities are exposed.

• Like 1

I) best guess would be the %s of

the general public.  Every cruise would vary a lot I’m sure.  

2) if royal allows unvaccinated kids, just assume most young kids won’t be vaccinated. That is what the stats show on how many have been vaccinated and at this point a large % are hesitant of vaccinating their young kids.  So I doubt the numbers grow much from here on out.  The 2-4 year old trial just got set back because the results showed ineffective (very low efficacy).  They are trying a third dose now on the 2-4 year olds in the trial vs starting over with higher dosage.  It worked well for 6 mos-2 year olds.  These aren’t the humans spreading Covid however.  

3) Depends on the ship I guess.  You can always mask up, go into WJ and take a plate somewhere outdoors if it came to that.   Not ideal I know.  

4) who knows.  But I really doubt they have embedded extra slack into their onboard HR.  One would imagine they simply deal with a slight understaffing in short run situations.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ledbyrain said:

1-- My husband and I are, but I think overall it's not the majority

2-- My 6 year old just got his 2nd dose, but I had to be quick to hop on the phone and get scheduled so he would be fully ready for our January sailing. Anyone with hesitations is likely opting for post cruise or not at all.

3-- Depending on ship, as someone said above...zero to scarce options

4-- I believe I had read Anthem's performers got sick a short while ago and shows were cancelled until they were well.  I don't think their entertainment staff is of a number they can have understudies.

All that being said, I still plan to make the most of our sailing in January. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ledbyrain said:

Scenario 1: Everything great, no positives on board, smooth sailing (seems unlikely)

Scenario 2: Some logistical disappointments, don't get sick but enough positives on board to feel edgy about crowded hot tubs, etc. (seems likely). Feel okay about money spent. Questions: Any chance of FCC if it's not a good experience due to cancellations, etc.?

Scenario 3: Close contact of a positive passenger, test negative. Questions: Still have to quarantine? Can I stay in my own (balcony) room if I do?

Scenario 4: Close contact of a positive passenger, test positive, not feeling sick but forced to isolate. Questions: In another cabin? Poor food and without good access to entertainment (e.g., TV/movies, cards, boardgames)? Without family? Have to leave ship or can I just isolate? (seems possible given current doubling of cases every 3 days). Any chance of FCC if it's a disaster?

Scenario 5: Positive and one of my (vaxxed but not boosted due to age) children sick at a worrisome level (pneumonia or bronciolitis, as seen in SA). Enough pediatric medical care available, medical evacuation (to home city?). Seems unlikely (God willing) but obviously worst outcome and feel like a terrible parent for even taking this risk in the first place.

Point 1: I would guess it would fall within the average for the US. As of Nov 2021, that's about 23% of vaccinated people. There is an additional 37%, as of November 2021 that have said they will definitely get it, and 19% that will probably get it. If you have confidence that the cruising population will be in this demographic, you can expect that by end of of Jan to see around 80% of the cruising population to have the booster shot, but getting on a ship right now, that number will be anywhere between 25-50% is my guess.

Point 2: The 5-11 year old is the sticky point. Right now only 16% of this group is vaccinated, and only 13% are in the right away we will get them vaccinated. So, only 3 out of 10 children will likely be vaccinated in the near future. By Christmas, you will be lucky to be at the 30% number is my guess. and it's only a guess.

Point 3: Will need to know the ship you are on. There are plenty of YouTube videos of each ship to get an answer for this.

Point 4: Usually no. They might have an understudy or 2 for the broadway productions on some of the major shows on the Oasis class ships, but my guess if a headliner goes down, that's pretty much a cancellation.

Scenario 1: There will always be positives on board. The question is will it affect the experience broadly for the passengers. A single positive for a headliner can affect all shows on that cruise, depending on the time of the positive test, while a 10s of positives to isolated cruisers will hardly affect the experience at all. When you get a more general outbreak amongst the passengers or crew, you might miss a port due to the government of that country denying entry.

Senario 2: If you are the type to be edgy in a crowded hot tub, or a dining hall, cruising might not be for you at this time. Who wants to be edgy on vacation?

Scenario 3: You will need to quarantine during the period of time when you wait for your test result. That is it. Once negative you will be free to do as you wish. 

Scenario 4: You will be sent to the isolation area on your ship. You will most likely not be able to quarantine in your booked cabin. The food will be from the room service menu. I have seen where people who complained about the redundancy, able to order off the MDR menu during dining hours. TV channels, and free movies in room, as well as free iNet seems to be the standard for entertaining yourself. Leaving the ship depends upon when and logistics to get you a private flight home. It could happen or it could not. They will give you FCC equal to the prorated fare for the number of days in quarantine. 

Scenario 5: Not sure about this. If someone needs acute medical care, it's probably very case specific and determined by the doctor on board. If it's determined that you need to get care off ship, you should really make sure you are carrying good travel insurance that has a hefty medical evacuation coverage. (Mine has 1 million dollars for medical evac)

Edited by binro01
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ledbyrain said:

I'm hoping to benefit from some risk/benefit insight (I know nothing is zero risk, etc., etc.) for my upcoming cruise given current circumstances. A few factors seem to me to affect how things will play out in the next several weeks and I would love to hear thoughts:

The shorter the cruise the greater the likelihood it will very much like Scenario 1.    

1. Do you think most RCCL cruisers are boosted? Basically, are RCCL cruisers (generally) public health-minded consumers or does it vary widely?

Depends on your sailing date.  Right now the number of boosted passengers will be lower, since the boosters started only a few months ago.

Passengers who board with 5-11 years old children who are not vaccinated are under more restrictions.  But, again, it only started recently so early cruising this month and next month may not see a lot of vaccinated 5-11's.  

To avoid a lot of people in the dining rooms, I suggest MTD and late.  Once the evening entertainment starts, the dining room thins out.

Outside dining depends on the ship.  Some have outdoor dining at the back of the Windjammer, others only a few tables on the pool deck.  Check deckplans.com for your ship(s).

They make every effort to do this, but if the staff and entertainers are infected, then they will definitely cancel what is necessary.

All the reports I have read since cruising started up have been very good, with no real problems reported.

Scenario 2: Some logistical disappointments, don't get sick but enough positives on board to feel edgy about crowded hot tubs, etc. (seems likely). Feel okay about money spent. Questions: Any chance of FCC if it's not a good experience due to cancellations, etc.? The only time RCCL gives an FCC or obc is if a port is cancelled.  "Good experience" is very subjective.

See if this helps:  https://www.royalcaribbean.com/the-healthy-sail-center and  https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq

Everyone in the cabin will follow the same protocol if a cabinmate tests positive.  Isolation  or leaving the ship is based on the degree of infection.  Asymptomatic usually is a period of isolation with constant testing.

RCCL does provide refunds and FCC's if they have to cancel the remainder of the cruise due to an outbreak.

RCCL has medical facilities set aside for COVID infections on every ship.  They will transfer the passenger to a nearby medical facility, if medically necessary. Usually, they will help coordinate further medical needs, but they won't pay for them or provide evacuation to your home.     

I doubt that you will encounter anything beyond Scenario 1 or 2.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ledbyrain said:

I would stay home.  

This is kind of like joining a country club - if you have to think, and wonder, and ask about it - shouldn't join.

If you are thinking this much about it, I wouldn't go.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

I would stay home.  

If you are thinking this much about it, I wouldn't go.

Sums up what I was going to say.   If someone has that many concerns and questions, how much would they really enjoy a cruise right now.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bouhunter said:

Sums up what I was going to say.   If someone has that many concerns and questions, how much would they really enjoy a cruise right now.  

You beat me to it.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Lol what outdoor dining? I only saw sprinkles ice cream outside. I wouldnt plan on being able to eat outside. 

Oasis class has park cafe for breakfast and lunch.  There is outdoor seating for this venue. Solarium does dinner and from what I’ve read still does?   That is is somewhat open air seating depending on where you sit.  Also, breakfast at Johnny Rockets is free as I recall and there is outdoor seating there.   Wipeout cafe is all outdoor seating.  If you want to do specialty dinner you can sit outdoors at chops and the Italian restaurants.  So if outdoor dining is really important to someone, Oasis class does provide a lot of options.  

Other class ships do have some outdoor seating for the WJ.  Can recall all of the options on every class ship, but other classes do have varying options too.  Some have food in the solarium as an example.  

So there are some free options on some ships and pretty good options on Oasis class. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

Everyone is going to get Covid (whether they feel it or not) .  Might happen on Symphony of the Seas or inside the grocery store, or even at a friends house.   If you don't want it, then you'll be one of the last to get it.   

Chances are if you are newly vaccinated or boosted it will be similar to a cold.   Stop treating it like the flipping plague.  It blows my mind.  The NFL/NBA/NHL are about to stop testing and let asymptomatic players play.  

And guess what, its extremely rare and not totally proven (because of bad testing) that you can get it twice.  So if you've had it - Cheers

A pandemic so bad that they are firing unvaccinated nurses and dr's.  

You may be right, and it doesn’t even matter.  Societies have gone down a path that will be difficult to reverse.  And if half the world treats it one way, even if we changed our policies, it still significantly impacts those who love to travel internationally (cruising).  Most of us have a voice in our own country and we can vote in government leaders we agree with on policy, but we can’t control what other governments do.  It isn’t likely there will be a unified world approach anytime soon.  It is gonna take a long time for something like that to happen.   Until then, travel is gonna be much more difficult.  The whole situation is like bazaro world.  

47 minutes ago, topnole said:

Oasis class has park cafe for breakfast and lunch.  There is outdoor seating for this venue. Solarium does dinner and from what I’ve read still does?   That is is somewhat open air seating depending on where you sit.  Also, breakfast at Johnny Rockets is free as I recall and there is outdoor seating there.   Wipeout cafe is all outdoor seating.  If you want to do specialty dinner you can sit outdoors at chops and the Italian restaurants.  So if outdoor dining is really important to someone, Oasis class does provide a lot of options.  

Other class ships do have some outdoor seating for the WJ.  Can recall all of the options on every class ship, but other classes do have varying options too.  Some have food in the solarium as an example.  

So there are some free options on some ships and pretty good options on Oasis class. 

I've done oasis twice. I think it depends on your definition of outside. City park to me for sure is covered where the park cafe is. Johnny rockets is in the boardwalk, so maybe. 

On liberty I know people besides me are not sure what is considered inside or outside. I heard more than one ask if the solarium was inside or outside since its covered. 

I think most finally decided outside and shed their masks. 

Never ate in wipeout. I dont eat hot dogs!! Never. I'd have to be starving. Cold pizza. Nothing in there I wanted. 

PS I love the hash browns for breakfast at johnny rockets. Kinda outside, but not my idea of totally outside. Ate a lot in the solarium as WJ was always full and no seating. 

Edited by firefly333

1. Do you think most RCCL cruisers are boosted? Basically, are RCCL cruisers (generally) public health-minded consumers or does it vary widely?  No way to tell.  Demographics of pax is very wide and covers groups pro and con to vaccine.  Would go with what average nos in US are at time of cruise.

2. Similar to #1, is it likely RCCL cruisers would make strong efforts to have their 5-11 children fully vaxxed (i.e., 14 days out from 2nd dose) by 12/26 sailing?  I think RCCL has tried not to alienate PAX with unvaccinated children.  However, give rise of Omicron, perhaps they'll tighten things down on have only fully vaccinated PAX until new wave subsides.

3. Are there sufficient outdoor dining experiences (non-specialty dining) to avoid any unmasked indoor dining during the trip?  Don't know how you avoid other diners than dining in your cabin.  This would really take away from the cruising experience.

4. Is there enough back up crew so that core experiences (e.g., shows, amenities) are unlikely to be cancelled/closed even with some crew members isolating/quarantined?  Given the nature of the virus, I don't think you can control for who on board will contract.  

Scenario 2: Some logistical disappointments, don't get sick but enough positives on board to feel edgy about crowded hot tubs, etc. (seems likely). Feel okay about money spent. Questions: Any chance of FCC if it's not a good experience due to cancellations, etc.?  I think FCC might only apply if you were quarantined.  

Scenario 5: Positive and one of my (vaxxed but not boosted due to age) children sick at a worrisome level (pneumonia or bronciolitis, as seen in SA). Enough pediatric medical care available, medical evacuation (to home city?). Seems unlikely (God willing) but obviously worst outcome and feel like a terrible parent for even taking this risk in the first place.  Think a lot of people have this as a worry.  Before omicron, had no worries.  We're booked on Allure for this Thursday and are playing it by ear to try and decide what's best course of action.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I've done oasis twice. I think it depends on your definition of outside. City park to me for sure is covered where the park cafe is. Johnny rockets is in the boardwalk, so maybe. 

On liberty I know people besides me are not sure what is considered inside or outside. I heard more than one ask if the solarium was inside or outside since its covered. 

I think most finally decided outside and shed their masks. 

Never ate in wipeout. I dont eat hot dogs!! Never. I'd have to be starving. Cold pizza. Nothing in there I wanted. 

PS I love the hash browns for breakfast at johnny rockets. Kinda outside, but not my idea of totally outside. Ate a lot in the solarium as WJ was always full and no seating. 

I’m not sure what you mean by how I define it.  But here is a definition for anyone who hasn’t been on oasis class and might be confused now.  If it rains, you will get wet without an umbrella.  

Park cafe has tables outside and the there are a bunch of tables around that area ranging from park cafe side over to Giovanni’s for example.  For breakfast people eat at all of them.  For lunch less

so since Giovanni’s does lunch I think.  But still tables all around the middle of Central Park.  I can’t remember if there is any cover above the outdoor seating at park cafe specifically, but it is very much outdoors even if they have a canopy.  

Basically, anywhere on the boardwalk or Central Park is outdoors unless you go inside a store or restaurant.  So Johnny Rockets, Park Cafe, Chops, Giovanni’s, all offer outdoor seating.  I don’t know what you mean by kind of outside.  It is literally totally outside?  I’m not commenting on quality of food or whether air circulation is good or bad in those outdoor areas, just noting that oasis class has lots of outdoor options for those that care enough about that aspect.  

We’ve had times where we definitely avoided even walking out on the boardwalk or Central Park because it is raining hard or very windy.  So that to me is what I think of as outdoors.  

Sabora on Allure is one that is open air, but is covered.  So that one is kind of a hybrid.  But being on the boardwalk, when at sea, there is usually a nice amount of breeze when sitting near the outside. So even that would be a good spot for someone who has Covid concerns eating indoors.  My recollection is that the solarium restaurant is also a bit of a hybrid meaning you get some fresh air breeze even thought it is covered.  

4 hours ago, ledbyrain said:

Hi I’m thinking like you.

I sail on Symphony on 1/29/22, wish I was on a smaller ship.

1. I have both shots but not the booster. i got really Sick from the second shot.

2. Symphony has outdoor seating in Central Park and the boardwalk.

3. I might do room service 1 night for a change.

4. I’m doing all speciality dinning and not the MDR at all, I have no desire to go to the buffet other than to run in and out with cake 🍰 lol.

I’m going to use a surgical mask and cover it with a fabric mask while on board.

Edited by Maitaivegas
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheMastodon said:

FoLlOw ThE ScIeNcE

That is a funny saying when you think about it.  Scientific results (knowledge) in such a situation will always lag the real-time situations.  So decisions are always being made without the benefit of scientific knowledge.  Then once results start coming in that can guide policy, everything can change again.

So science isn’t likely to guide decision making in pandemics unless it is an old virus we have already studied and know.

There are scientific laws which are excepted.  But the term settled science is trite and a much abused statement.  Very little is settled in science.  There are constantly new findings that prove prior conclusions wrong.  Folks who try to shut down conversations on any scientific topic are pretty much displaying the anthesis of science.  It is happening all the time now.  Quite frankly, that is extremely scary.  

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies. I know we are all trying to do what is best for ourselves and our families. 🙂

We are sailing on Harmony of the Seas on 12/26, so it sounds like we may have some outdoor options for dining at times, albeit limited. This is our children's first cruise and is a (pricey for us) treat for our family after everyone could be vaccinated and COVID was "over" 😭

Again, I appreciate the varied perspectives and hope you all enjoy the holidays and hopefully any upcoming trips!

There’s no equation that will tell people what to do. All we know is

- there is going to be some Covid on just about every ship

- that said, there will be less Covid than any other public space imaginable 

- THAT said, you’ll come in more close contact with people on a ship than many  public space. 

No easy answer one way or the other. What it comes down to is, “Do you feel lucky punk? We’ll do you?”

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Maitaivegas said:

Hi I’m thinking like you.

I sail on Symphony on 1/29/22, wish I was on a smaller ship.

1. I have both shots but not the booster. i got really Sick from the second shot.

2. Symphony has outdoor seating in Central Park and the boardwalk.

3. I might do room service 1 night for a change.

4. I’m doing all speciality dinning and not the MDR at all, I have no desire to go to the buffet other than to run in and out with cake 🍰 lol.

I’m going to use a surgical mask and cover it with a fabric mask while on board.

Off-topic but I also had a terrible reaction to the 2nd shot of Pfizer and so mix-and-matched with Moderna for my booster. I did fine with that but who knows if that's why? I wish you health and lots of cake!

I didn’t read every comment in this thread but the one thing I have heard from several crew members I keep in touch with is there has yet to be a cruise where no one tested positive for COVID on their ships. This only covers a handful of ships, but my guess is more cruises than not are going to have at least one positive test on the ship. 

I have no clue how many current and future passengers have received a booster shot. However, I think this will become a moot point at some time in the not too distant future when cruise lines start making it mandatory to have a booster shot to cruise. 

57 minutes ago, ledbyrain said:

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies. I know we are all trying to do what is best for ourselves and our families. 🙂

We are sailing on Harmony of the Seas on 12/26, so it sounds like we may have some outdoor options for dining at times, albeit limited. This is our children's first cruise and is a (pricey for us) treat for our family after everyone could be vaccinated and COVID was "over" 😭

Again, I appreciate the varied perspectives and hope you all enjoy the holidays and hopefully any upcoming trips!

You may also wish to get the key.   It includes free room service.  Then, you could eat some emails in your room or on your balcony.