Why Not Implement a REAL Vaccination Requirement?

Donoiv11

I am confused as to why RC would not fully implement a vaccination requirement… at least for the time being. 

Yes, all 12 and older must be vaccinated… I get that… but what about those under 12? 

Again, I get that they don’t qualify… but it doesn’t mean that RC has to allow kids on the ship. Kids are great… I have one of my own… but if truly trying to keep the passengers - and the entire Crew - safe, why such a gaping hole? Once things normalize, bring the kids back… but for now, simply ask that they (and their families) find a different way to vacation.

Not something that would be popular with folks looking to bring their little ones along… They will certainly have a lot to say… I propose that others would benefit… and really, outside of the Holidays, who’s traveling in the early part of the year with kids anyway? What about school?

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Donoiv11 said:

I am confused as to why RC would not fully implement a vaccination requirement… at least for the time being. 

Yes, all 12 and older must be vaccinated… I get that… but what about those under 12? 

Again, I get that they don’t qualify… but it doesn’t mean that RC has to allow kids on the ship. Kids are great… I have one of my own… but if truly trying to keep the passengers - and the entire Crew - safe, why such a gaping hole? Once things normalize, bring the kids back… but for now, simply ask that they (and their families) find a different way to vacation.

Not something that would be popular with folks looking to bring their little ones along… They will certainly have a lot to say… I propose that others would benefit… and really, outside of the Holidays, who’s traveling in the early part of the year with kids anyway? What about school?

My grandson is 6 years old and fully vaccinated.  They can definitely cast a bigger net of requirements for vaccination

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, LorraineP said:

All guests should be vaccinated. Kids stay home & keep the rest of us safe. 

Completely agree, for the time being. If an unvaccinated adult can't go, an unvaccinated child shouldn't be able to just on the basis that they cant get vaccinated yet. 

• Like 14

17 minutes ago, Donoiv11 said:

Why?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Just now, kruzerci said:

Completely agree, for the time being. If an unvaccinated adult can't go, an unvaccinated child shouldn't be able to just on the basis that they cant get vaccinated yet. 

It's not 100%, some UnVax Adults have been allowed to Cruise Royal with prior approval

2 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Why?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

More money will be lost if they have to shut down, miss ports private jet people home. 5+ needs to all be vaccinated. Like yesterday. And while we are at it., boosters should be required after Jan 15th. Use all available means to keep sailing. 

Edited by binro01
  • Like 8

RCI are experts on boats. Like everyone here, they aren’t experts on epidemiology. RCI developed their protocols in conjunction with the CDC and the best, most knowledgeable experts on the world. And they decided that allowing some unvaxxed kids on board was fine. 

And so far, those protocols have worked. There have been few Covid cases on ships, and almost zero serious cases. In short, they haven’t gone to 100% vaxxed because the folks who know best say they don’t need to. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, zekekelso said:

RCI are experts on boats. Like everyone here, they aren’t experts on epidemiology. RCI developed their protocols in conjunction with the CDC and the best, most knowledgeable experts on the world. And they decided that allowing some unvaxxed kids on board was fine. 

And so far, those protocols have worked. There have been few Covid cases on ships, and almost zero serious cases. In short, they haven’t gone to 100% vaxxed because the folks who know best say they don’t need to. 

The situation changed with the new variable called Omnicron. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, ONECRUISER said:

It's not 100%, some UnVax Adults have been allowed to Cruise Royal with prior approval

Then if there has been an exception in the past that needs to be discontinued. IMO, vaccinations for all, not matter their age, medical condition(s) or excuse(s) in order to board a ship and no matter the cruise line. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

Where are you getting that information from. I’m on the odyssey and we are up to 55 cases confirmed by the captain. Currently stuck at sea because curaçao denied us entry. Unvaccinated kids (you can tell because they don’t have a ribbon) are running around the ship without masks on. I reported this to 3 security guards and each shrugged their shoulders. 

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, LorraineP said:

All guests should be vaccinated. Kids stay home & keep the rest of us safe. 

yeah, but then all 5 of us will not cruise with RCI if our one child cannot come with, so RCI will lose a lot of customers.

Our child got tested 3 times in 8 days, for goodness sake. He was negative. He is not a threat. He also wore his mask diligently which I can't say about other adults.

He is vaxxed now, but when we sailed in November, that was impossible.

Basically, Princess and Celebrity couldn't care less because they cater to adults. But RCI is for families (and no, don't tell me about the Walmart of all cruises being a family line - no, thank you). Most families aren't going to cruise without the kids - we cruised without DS until he was 3, but now I can't even imagine telling him that we are going on his favorite vacations without him. Who is going to leave 1-4 kids home, while mom/dad and grandparents go on a cruise?

ETA: we are very much pro-vaxx, and got our shots the moment they were available. That said - I wouldn't hold it against RCI if they didn't require shots for 5-11 crowd.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

If I had unvaxxed kids, I would leave them home to keep them safe.

my kid was safer on the cruise - among mostly vaccinated people, who have been tested prior to boarding, some - more than once, and who are masking most of the time.

Masks and vaccinations are not required at his public school. Vaccination rate in our state is around 50%. It is MUCH HIGHER on the cruise.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, AtSea2021 said:

Unvaccinated kids (you can tell because they don’t have a ribbon) are running around the ship without masks on.

by far, not all of them.

We've seen many more adults who didn't wear their masks when they were required to, for example, in the E section of the theater and Studio B.

18 minutes ago, binro01 said:

More money will be lost if they have to shut down, miss ports private jet people home. 5+ needs to all be vaccinated. Like yesterday. And while we are at it., boosters should be required after Jan 15th. Use all available means to keep sailing. 

That's your opinion.  Reverse the question... why would they allow non-vaxxed on board? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AustinCruise said:

They have definitely allowed medical exemptions.  Well, at least as definite as people here claiming such. 

Extremely rare apparently.  We were on a b2b on HOTS that started on 28 Nov and in those two weeks I never saw a single adult that didn't have a wrist band.  And the majority of kids were wearing them too. But, there were only about 80-90 kids on each week.  I do wonder how many exceptions there have really been.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

yeah, but then all 5 of us will not cruise with RCI if our one child cannot come with, so RCI will lose a lot of customers.

Our child got tested 3 times in 8 days, for goodness sake. He was negative. He is not a threat. He also wore his mask diligently which I can't say about other adults.

He is vaxxed now, but when we sailed in November, that was impossible.

Basically, Princess and Celebrity couldn't care less because they cater to adults. But RCI is for families (and no, don't tell me about the Walmart of all cruises being a family line - no, thank you). Most families aren't going to cruise without the kids - we cruised without DS until he was 3, but now I can't even imagine telling him that we are going on his favorite vacations without him. Who is going to leave 1-4 kids home, while mom/dad and grandparents go on a cruise?

ETA: we are very much pro-vaxx, and got our shots the moment they were available. That said - I wouldn't hold it against RCI if they didn't require shots for 5-11 crowd.

NCL is a family line and requires kids to be vaccinated.

• Like 2