Life and Live from Koningsdam on her New Year's cruise 26 Dec 21 - 02 Jan 22

Copper10-8

21 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

"Bitterballen" are very similar to "Kroketten" as far as making them from scratch. It's been my experience that both are made on board by the sous-chefs and asst. chefs on a regular basis for gatherings, crew lunches in the "Dirty Mess," along with "frikandellen" and other Dutch delicacies with the caveat that all this was "pre-Covid"   

https://www.thespruceeats.com/beef-bitterballen-recipe-1129015

Hope you don’t mind me showing some of our experiences in the Grand Dutch Cafe  John , I believe the croquettes , bitterballen and maybe also the frikandellen are from the Best and most Famous maker in Amsterdam , Van Dobben , I don’t think they are made on board ship . I thought I had heard that from one of the servers in the Grand Dutch Cafe. 

When we are on one of the Pinnacle Class ships we usually spend quite a bit of time there and of coarse have to try all the Dutch goodies . Uitsmijters , Appel Taart , Flammetjes , Dutch Pea soup  etc etc 

Kroket11.jpg.3622c449ea9aba6ce10b212537213558.jpg

IMG_1390.thumb.JPG.d7782b005d75f0e97217389a4466c38a.JPG

IMG_1420.thumb.JPG.13fe90fd65ef1fcae5a5cb9f619a945b.JPG

IMG_1428.thumb.JPG.e7c84af066b6e88c2042e4b48be51901.JPG

And , this is the way to eat a herring the Dutch way 

DSCN6148.thumb.jpg.fffe5ee3713411adc75930e65c2b6dba.jpg

DW forgot to roll it through the unions .....

This was the wonderful Grand Dutch Cafe  team on the Koningsdam in 2019 and due to the Covid they might have moved on to positions in the better hotels or restaurants in The Netherlands or Belgium 

IMG_2542.thumb.JPG.b7d12ca937864264ff588609937ab7d4.JPG

We wish you a fantastic cruise John and Maria , and don't forget after one of those Bossche Bollen you have to climb on the bike again .........

Tony 🎅
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 4

53 minutes ago, sailingdutchy said:

Hope you don’t mind me showing some of our experiences in the Grand Dutch Cafe  John , I believe the croquettes , bitterballen and maybe also the frikandellen are from the Best and most Famous maker in Amsterdam , Van Dobben , I don’t think they are made on board ship . I thought I had heard that from one of the servers in the Grand Dutch Cafe. 

When we are on one of the Pinnacle Class ships we usually spend quite a bit of time there and of coarse have to try all the Dutch goodies . Uitsmijters , Appel Taart , Flammetjes , Dutch Pea soup  etc etc 

Kroket11.jpg.3622c449ea9aba6ce10b212537213558.jpg

IMG_1390.thumb.JPG.d7782b005d75f0e97217389a4466c38a.JPG

IMG_1420.thumb.JPG.13fe90fd65ef1fcae5a5cb9f619a945b.JPG

IMG_1428.thumb.JPG.e7c84af066b6e88c2042e4b48be51901.JPG

And , this is the way to eat a herring the Dutch way 

DSCN6148.thumb.jpg.fffe5ee3713411adc75930e65c2b6dba.jpg

DW forgot to roll it through the unions .....

This was the wonderful Grand Dutch Cafe  team on the Koningsdam in 2019 and due to the Covid they might have moved on to positions in the better hotels or restaurants in The Netherlands or Belgium 

IMG_2542.thumb.JPG.b7d12ca937864264ff588609937ab7d4.JPG

We wish you a fantastic cruise John and Maria , and don't forget after one of those Bossche Bollen you have to climb on the bike again .........

Tony, there was a different team at the Dutch Cafe in November and early December.  They were very good too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Copper10-8. I am looking forward to your reports.  A few pre-cruise questions:

1. What hotel is that in San Diego?
  2. Can you leave your car in at the hotel during your cruise, or do you have to move it?
  3. If leaving your car at the hotel is OK, can you walk with your luggage to the pier or do you arrange some sort of transportation--cab. hotel shuttle, other?
  • Like 1

Not sure if you are aware....just saw this.....I would imagine Hal would not make this well known...

A total of 1,035 passengers aboard a Holland America Line cruise ship were not allowed to disembark in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, on Thursday

Mexican authorities turned the MS Koningsdam away from the resort city of Puerto Vallarta after 21 crew members tested positive for COVID-19

The ship sailed from San Diego on Sunday, making stops in Cabo San Luca on Tuesday and Mazatlán on Wednesday

Paulette Laussane York shared a photo of Puerto Vallarta’s beach shore on Thursday and said that the cruise ship was returning to the sea

The ship, according to an itinerary shared by passenger Beverly Carver-Percival, suggests they were expected to return to San Diego on Sunday.

I hope and pray that the HAL ships will be safe and healthy from this point forward.  It's been so hard on the crew and staff.  Just want to add that the Dutch Cafe is really a favorite.  I love the quiche and salad for lunch and my husband loves the pea soup. The staff is outstanding. My husband loved the beer recommendations and enjoyed himself immensely.  We had some long lunches there, lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, zelker said:

Excellent!  We're booked there before our Feb. 27th cruise on Zuiderdam (and again in October).  How do you rate it?  And did you walk over to the pier this morning?

Thanks!

I know you are not asking me but I also stayed there before my cruise.  I would say it's a 4 star hotel. The think I didn't like is that the have a free breakfast.  I don't love it because it was packed with people without masks.  Also everyone was serving themselves.  Yuk.  Maybe this is common in the USA but it's not where I live. I am booked there again for my cruise because I liked the hotel but I think I'll be eating at Starbucks next time.  I walked over to the ship and I don't pack lightly do I think its doable for most people.

Edited by Florida_gal_50
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, zelker said:

Excellent!  We're booked there before our Feb. 27th cruise on Zuiderdam (and again in October).  How do you rate it?  And did you walk over to the pier this morning?

Thanks!

We stayed at Springhill Suites a couple of years ago and loved the place - going back in March!  Easy walk trhough a courtyard and across street to pier (5 minutes).  About a 10-15 minute walk to Little Italy the night before for dinner!  Also a good little cafe just outside the hotel on the bay side.

Edited by DaveOKC
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, DaveOKC said:

We stayed at Springhill Suites a couple of years ago and loved the place - going back in March!  Easy walk trhough a courtyard and across stree to pier (5 minutes).  

It is close.  I'm not sure if call it easy especially if you don't pack light.  Empty handed, yes easy.