The Daily for Saturday 12/25/2021

richwmn

Merry Christmas to everyone! I read every day but don't tend to post. It is a white Christmas in our oart of the Pacific Northwest with a couple of inches falling last night and a few more due today. Having DS and DDIL for gifts and dinner (Ham, cheesy scalloped potatoes, ginger carrots, rolls and pumpkin bars or pie for dessert). They live about 10 minutes away. May have a few friends stop in as well depending on how plans go. We're all vaccinated, boostered, etc. 

My best gift is I got DH home from the hospital last night! He was in for 10 days with a badly infected finger (MRSA) and I'll be doing infusions of his antibiotic at home for about 2 weeks but at least he's home! With his memory issues home is a much better place for him. Our small local hospital was wonderful at allowing me in every day. 

Kazu - hang in there! The best advice came from our nurse practitioner several years ago when DH's medical issues started. She told me, no matter what and how hard, do something for yourself! My happy place is the pool doing water aerobics. You have your dogs and your flowers. We have to take care of ourselves to be able to take care of the important men in our lives. 

Merry Christmas, Happy Boxing Day (I'm Canadian as well), and Happy Holidays. Thanks for making The Daily my go-to place every morning. 

Karen

• Like 30

Merry Christmas, Everyone!  

I’ve been so busy the past few weeks that I haven’t even been a lurker on the Daily.  It was so good to come back to it this morning and see the many caring postings.  Thank you, All, for the love that you display each and every day.

• Like 21

Good morning  and  very  Merry Christmas  to all who celebrate. We have ice on the roads and I am glad to be inside.DS made us Swedish pancakes for breakfast after the DGC's opened gifts.At age 11,they still get up early. We have been up since 5!

@ger_77,A very Happy Birthday to you!

@kazu, it is so thoughtful of you to post and let us know how things are going.I hope there are improvements  soon.

Have a wonderful  day everyone 

20211225_075214.jpg

• Like 26

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Christmas Daily, Rich.  Merry Christmas to all Dailyites who Celebrate it.  Funny Seinfeld quote.  The meal sounds great although mine will be grilled rather than from a crock pot.  Been  to Madryn on Crystal Symphony, Zaandam, and Elegant Explorer although I'll leave the photos to others.

Today’s care list:

Strength for Jacqui, healing for Jose and wisdom for his doctors
Himself with Covid

Welfare of furloughed crews
Strength for Atexsix and healing for his father
Mamaofami’s friend and Walkerin hospice
1ANGELCAT with finger in splint
Mamaofami and lazey1 awaiting  Covid results
From the rotation:
Tana’s continuing struggles
summer slope BCC surgery in February
positive biopsy for Mtn2Sea appointment early January
lazey1's BIL with Covid

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate
6 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
Av8rix (1/9) Seasick Sailor (1/16), Lindaler, garlictown, Sharon, and Rich(Rotterdam to 2 Jan)  a
and Ichiban Nekko (Nieuw Amsterdam to 1/8) at sea
msmayor in Virginia
Ger_77 in Calgary
HorizonChaser1957 in Chilliwack
smitty34877 in New Hampshire
Negative biopsies for Sea Viewer
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female staff captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

RoyI have survived Covid `9.  I Think I am over it.  Thanks to all for their prayers.  And Merry Christmas to all. 

• Like 29
  • Thanks 10

56 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Debbie - Merry, Merry!

Would you be willing to share your Tourtiére recipe, when you get back home?

Sadly, my Memere would not share hers. Not even with my Aunt - her only daughter. And I have yet to find “the recipe” that comes closest. I know she did not use potatoes in hers. But that is all.

The recipe I used is not one that was handed down and it does have potatoes in it.  I was intrigued by the discussion of Tourtière, so I searched recipes.  They all do use potatoes, but one of them talks about not using them as well.  

This one discusses the potatoes.https://growagoodlife.com/tourtiere/

This one uses them as well.  I suppose you could just leave them out.   https://www.davidlebovitz.com/the-joy-of-cooking-meat-pie-recipe-tourtiere/

This one does not use potatoes, but it does add in tomatoes.  https://bluejeanchef.com/recipes/french-canadian-tourtiere/

I'm sure there are others who have recipes for this and can tweak these.  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 4

Merry Christmas and Seasons Greetings, everyone!  A special Merry Birthday to @ger_77 and extra hugs for @kazu and @mamaofami.  I hope all your Christmas wishes come true.

Since I am not at home this Christmas I will share a pic from last Christmas.  The stars reflecting in the door are actually inside, going up the stairs.  That is last year’s poinsettia before it turned into a shrub this year.  lol

BC3A32C9-A46E-417A-9204-50BFABECD568.jpeg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Merry Christmas from Long Island!!

20211225_083545.thumb.jpg.803f10ea8445aa10d7321f030d6bd1d1.jpg

It's just the 4 of us, so presents were opened first....it was a ticket holiday (Hamilton on Broadway, Foo Fighters at Citi Field, Billy Joel and Madison Square Garden, and Kansas City Royals in Kansas City - one DS is a huge baseball fan!). After presents we had homemade waffles (YUM!), and shortly I'll put together the lasagna for dinner.  If there's time this afternoon I'll make some spritz cookies (green Christmas trees), which are always a hit!

@HimselfFather, what a great Christmas gift to see your post today! So glad you're on the mend, we've all missed you here!!

@kazuJacqui, as always I love your memes...but more importantly I was glad to see your post today. Hoping Jose will have a good day, and things will improve as each day passes.

@ger_77Happy birthday!

To all celebrating, hoping your Christmas day is full of love!!

Laura

Edited by kplady
  • Like 25

24 minutes ago, Himself said:

RoyI have survived Covid `9.  I Think I am over it.  Thanks to all for their prayers.  And Merry Christmas to all. 

Welcome back.

Our prayers 🙏 have been answered.

Hopefully your covid days are over.

Happy Christmas.

• Like 15

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

Would you be willing to share your Tourtiére recipe, when you get back home?

I know I wasn’t asked but I can’t help myself.  😂

I love this recipe:  Tourtière Du Québec

I also love this no-fail pie crust recipe.  Depending on the flour, I start with 5.5 cups and add more if needed.

D785751B-0104-4A1B-8C39-4AB4598372AA.thumb.jpeg.5860aad38622896c08acfef3d45b8fab.jpeg

This is the finished pie:

D9FBD17F-EFE6-491B-AF67-2EB135FC677D.thumb.jpeg.5540607b0c9bb303cf5eaea500c2d7a1.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Thankful to Rich for his ever faithful postings, even while enjoying his cruise with us. Thankful to Roy for our cares and celebrations and being steadfast throughout his treatment. Thank you Ann, Debbie, and Summer for our food and beverage recipes. And to our Jacqui who has brought us smiles and inspiring posts as well as our Daily garden club help. Love to you. I'm so touched and blessed to have this thread to come to each day.

I second this. 😘

3 hours ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Merry Christmas to all. Thank all of you for the best gift of all: friendship.

Yes! 🙂

• Like 12