The Daily for Saturday 12/25/2021

richwmn

I don't have a photo for December 25 so here's another from yesterday's walk..  It was taken earlier from a different location.  I'm pretty sure the sun was actually up and hiding but it gave some nice color to the morning clouds.

IMG_0088.JPG

Roy

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

Merry Christmas!!!!!  We have a white one. In town we had rain, rain mixed with snow, snow and some freezing rain on top of that - the result is lovely but a bit slippery. Bandit and I are shuffling across the parking lot... he takes care of things.... and then we shuffle back. Sun is out now so hopefully it will melt off although more of the white stuff is expected tomorrow. The High Country got a real dump with passes in all directions closed and avalanche danger high.

@Himselfglad to hear from you. Hope you make quick progress in your recovery. @kazuhope for a continued progress for Jose. @mamaofamiSounds like things are still too stressful. Take care of yourself and hopefully Sam is back home quickly.

I am really appreciating the reports from those cruising at this time. Since it may be awhile for me I am following along with great envy. My day will come.

Susan

• Like 22

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate!  You're all appreciated here, I hope to see you (those I haven't and those I have) on future cruises!

It's a quiet morning here, DD and her family will be coming early this afternoon.  I'm ready for them!  I know we'll have a ton of extra food, since our niece and her family won't be coming -- lots of leftovers!  We're having turkey with lots of side dishes, appetizers and desserts.  No punch today, it will be hot apple cider and wine 🙂  

@HimselfI was delighted to see your post this morning and am SO thankful you're ok.  We've all been  worried about you!

@ger_77Happy Birthday!!

@StLouisCruisersI love your DD's Celebration Tree!  What a great idea.

@luvteachingyou're just a few miles north, I had heard that snow was coming up that way.  I just checked, and it will hit here this afternoon.  So happy your DH could come home on Christmas from the hospital. 🙂  

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, luvteaching said:

Merry Christmas to everyone! I read every day but don't tend to post. It is a white Christmas in our oart of the Pacific Northwest with a couple of inches falling last night and a few more due today. Having DS and DDIL for gifts and dinner (Ham, cheesy scalloped potatoes, ginger carrots, rolls and pumpkin bars or pie for dessert). They live about 10 minutes away. May have a few friends stop in as well depending on how plans go. We're all vaccinated, boostered, etc. 

My best gift is I got DH home from the hospital last night! He was in for 10 days with a badly infected finger (MRSA) and I'll be doing infusions of his antibiotic at home for about 2 weeks but at least he's home! With his memory issues home is a much better place for him. Our small local hospital was wonderful at allowing me in every day. 

Kazu - hang in there! The best advice came from our nurse practitioner several years ago when DH's medical issues started. She told me, no matter what and how hard, do something for yourself! My happy place is the pool doing water aerobics. You have your dogs and your flowers. We have to take care of ourselves to be able to take care of the important men in our lives. 

Merry Christmas, Happy Boxing Day (I'm Canadian as well), and Happy Holidays. Thanks for making The Daily my go-to place every morning. 

Karen

Karen

You may not post that often, but you certainly make up for it when you do. What a very special message. 

Thank you. I am glad your man is home! 

Ann

• Like 15

@mamaofami Carol, what a shame Sam had to go to the hospital last night.  I'm glad it isn't serious and he will be home soon.

@grapau27 I really love the memory tree ornament from Harrods!  Our DD also wanted memories from us (after losing her Great Mimi this month).  We are receiving a question a week to answer about memories from our early years and at the end of the year it will be published into a book.  Should be quite the stories in there!

Today's menu is crock pot turkey breasts (2) and all the usual Thanksgiving-type accompaniments.  Today's pies are homemade pumpkin and pecan, and a Marie Callender Razzleberry pie.  Tomorrow we will add a chocolate pie to the menu.  And wine.  The diet begins next week!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dfish said:

The recipe I used is not one that was handed down and it does have potatoes in it.  I was intrigued by the discussion of Tourtière, so I searched recipes.  They all do use potatoes, but one of them talks about not using them as well.  

This one discusses the potatoes.https://growagoodlife.com/tourtiere/

This one uses them as well.  I suppose you could just leave them out.   https://www.davidlebovitz.com/the-joy-of-cooking-meat-pie-recipe-tourtiere/

This one does not use potatoes, but it does add in tomatoes.  https://bluejeanchef.com/recipes/french-canadian-tourtiere/

I'm sure there are others who have recipes for this and can tweak these.  

You are too good to do this on Christmas. And I may have been born in that same mill town. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

I know I wasn’t asked but I can’t help myself.  😂

I love this recipe:  Tourtière Du Québec

I also love this no-fail pie crust recipe.  Depending on the flour, I start with 5.5 cups and add more if needed.

D785751B-0104-4A1B-8C39-4AB4598372AA.thumb.jpeg.5860aad38622896c08acfef3d45b8fab.jpeg

This is the finished pie:

D9FBD17F-EFE6-491B-AF67-2EB135FC677D.thumb.jpeg.5540607b0c9bb303cf5eaea500c2d7a1.jpeg

Thank YOU for not waiting to be asked.   It is a beautiful looking pie!

• Like 13

When we lived up north we had a white Christmas just about every year. Here it is anything but!

It is sunny and a delightful 80 degrees today.

It will be a quiet holiday season for us. Covid has made travel a bit difficult and dangerous for those who were planning on visiting us. 

Photo was taken yesterday evening just before  DW left for work. She is an RN and worked the 12 hour night shift at the hospital last night and will do so again tonight. 

However you may be celebrating, please stay safe. 

Gevanne, Jim and Yuki too.

269986474_5049681041748773_4835760727970619535_n.jpg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon and MERRY CHRISTMAS! to all who celebrate.

Funny quote.

Dinner will be homemade pizza, since it's just me. I'll take the punch and pass on the wine.

I was in Puerto Madryn on my SA/Antarctica cruise in 2019. I'll post a few pics separately.

It's very rainy here today and warm.

@kazu Prayers for Jose, his medical team and you.

@Himself Wonderful to hear from you! We were all worried. Christmas Blessings.

@ger_77 HAPPY BIRTHDAY! 🎂

@mamaofami So sorry to hear Sam had to go to the hospital, but good news that there's no stroke. I hope life quiets down for you soon.

@grapau27 Happy Christmas! What a special gift from Sarah.

@luvteaching A great gift to have DH home from the hospital!

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe everyone.

1607507574_MerryChristmas.thumb.jpg.c091be12c89b9e8fdcee60b98134517f.jpg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

Approaching Puerto Madryn

385651526_001-01_04.19ApproachingPuertoMadryn.thumb.jpg.4809cfc3d87a3606eae1b30776304798.jpg

At the Punta Tombo Penguin Reserve, where we spent our time ashore.

901858511_002-01_04.19MagellanicPenguinsPuntaTomboReserve.thumb.jpg.831b0ba822ce42980afa3d083b0e19ad.jpg

Family meeting

645731141_022-01_04_19.thumb.jpg.e3bfc3e35800ff39789c0fd458f98639.jpg

Guanaco

541256708_025-01_04_19.thumb.jpg.e2476950e893c5a3597520732e45f879.jpg

1852171122_037-01_04_19.thumb.jpg.86bf63ccb3f1f943cf0d259c4b27fd77.jpg

Zaandam docked

1700419731_056-01_04.19ZaandaminportatPuertoMadryn.thumb.jpg.6a4976ab133ce1c6d1a46893fac102b5.jpg

Beach by the dock

1997075051_059-01_04.19PuertoMadryn.thumb.jpg.4d83a97e4fb25e7769a4bc9464547ce7.jpg

Seals on the dock. They followed us out as we left.

333929817_061-01_04_19.thumb.jpg.fcce4ea4341594f831f308b0ae2efe92.jpg

556794828_074-01_04.19Sealsbreaching.thumb.jpg.e3cad86631a639819ad4ae2eca123171.jpg

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 4

25 minutes ago, jimgev said:

When we lived up north we had a white Christmas just about every year. Here it is anything but!

It is sunny and a delightful 80 degrees today.

It will be a quiet holiday season for us. Covid has made travel a bit difficult and dangerous for those who were planning on visiting us. 

Photo was taken yesterday evening just before  DW left for work. She is an RN and worked the 12 hour night shift at the hospital last night and will do so again tonight. 

However you may be celebrating, please stay safe. 

Gevanne, Jim and Yuki too.

269986474_5049681041748773_4835760727970619535_n.jpg

What a lovely picture of you all 

Graham.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

@luvteachingit's very good news your husband is home from the hospital!  That MRSA is really bad stuff!   Have a wonderful day and a happy new year.

@HimselfFather, we're very happy to hear you have recovered from the virus.  Thank you for letting us know.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

• Like 11