Alaska shore excursion advice

family just booked Alaskan cruise Quantum May 30, 2022 going to Icy Strait Point, Skagway, Endicott Arm & Dawes, Juneau, Victoria BC.

Any Royal Caribbean excursions (as opposed to private) you could highly recommend would be greatly appreciated.

Not into drinking or eating seafood. Anything with sled dogs are already sold out.

7 minutes ago, RCCLNYMETS41 said:

family just booked Alaskan cruise Quantum May 30, 2022 going to Icy Strait Point, Skagway, Endicott Arm & Dawes, Juneau, Victoria BC.

Any Royal Caribbean excursions (as opposed to private) you could highly recommend would be greatly appreciated.

Not into drinking or eating seafood. Anything with sled dogs are already sold out.

Due to possible Covid restrictions, I wouldn't book anything until you get on the ship.

10 minutes ago, RCCLNYMETS41 said:

Cancel and rebook with Princess.  They have Puppies in the Plaza!!!!!!!

(they bring on sled dog puppies and LET YOU PLAY WITH THEM)

• Like 1

Small boat whale watching in Icy Strait Point. The train / bus combo tour to Emerald Lake / Carcross in Skagway. Small boat excursion from the ship to Dawes Glacier (if offered). Whale watching (if not chosen in Icy Strait Point or to give you a 2nd shot at seeing them up close), Mendenhall Glacier and / or Mt. Roberts Tram at Juneau.

Not sure why you wouldn’t think about not using private tours.  

but here’s a few videos to help. 

all female owned and operated whale watching

Some Timelapse videos 

Ketchikan and Juneau  

54 minutes ago, travelhound said:

Due to possible Covid restrictions, I wouldn't book anything until you get on the ship.

I wouldn’t do this.    As tours will sell out.  Like the dog sledding.    You can always cancel as it gets closer 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RCCLNYMETS41 said:

Thank you. Keep advice coming.

-Princess sounds very fun, but applying FCC from canceled cruises (again)

-my comfort level these days is to stick with Royal excursions

We are also on Quantum in May and lots of excursions are already showing sold out, so book soon.  We have booked the White Pass Railway in Skagway as we didn't do that the last time we were in Skagway.  We are renting a car in Juneau and taking ourselves to Mendenhall and all the other places we want to go.  A few of the rental places closed due to no ships, so we have booked with Juneau Car Rentals and they are already sold out on smaller cars.  In Icy Strait Point, we have booked a private whale watch with Glacier Wind.  They are a small, family owned company with two boats, one that takes six people and the other takes thirteen.  They will refund you if the ship does not make the port or if you feel conditions are too rough.  We loved this excursion in the past and can't wait to do it again.  I got an email welcoming us back and thanking us for recommending our friends.  They are a great family to work with!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RCCLNYMETS41 said:

Thank you. Keep advice coming.

-Princess sounds very fun, but applying FCC from canceled cruises (again)

-my comfort level these days is to stick with Royal excursions

You have 6 months,  things are changing daily so don’t rule out private tours.  

We were on the Ovation in September this year and visited Skagway and Juneau as you will on your Quantum cruise this next May. 

In Skagway, the White Pass Railway trip is worth doing.  It was shortened for us due to some construction midway up the route but the benefit was that the train moved much slower for the 3.5 hour roundtrip.  This helped get better pictures along the way.  It was rainy a bit cold but that should be as much an issue in May.

In Juneau, the Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center is also worth seeing.  You can hike the trails to Nugget Falls which is closest point to the glacier in about 1/2 hour,  Also check out the visitors' center.  A US National Parks pass helps waive the admission fees to the visitors' center.  You can catch a roundtrip shuttle at the port dock for a reasonable fee, which usually run every 1/2 hour while the visitors' center is open.  If you do a ship's tour, you may be rushed to enjoy the glacier and hiking areas.  There is also the Mount Roberts Tramway just outside the port.  Hiking trails, nature center, restaurant and great views on top the Mount Roberts are wonderful if weather is clear and warm.

Enjoy your planning!

3 hours ago, bmblob said:

In Juneau, the Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center is also worth seeing.  You can hike the trails to Nugget Falls which is closest point to the glacier in about 1/2 hour,  Also check out the visitors' center.  A US National Parks pass helps waive the admission fees to the visitors' center.  You can catch a roundtrip shuttle at the port dock for a reasonable fee, which usually run every 1/2 hour while the visitors' center is open.  If you do a ship's tour, you may be rushed to enjoy the glacier and hiking areas. 

Did you book the shuttle on advance, or just do it on the day you visited? How much did it cost?

Thanks!!!

54 minutes ago, SeattleAl said:

Did you book the shuttle on advance, or just do it on the day you visited? How much did it cost?

Thanks!!!

Got the shuttle at the port vendors - was expecting it to be about $25-30 roundtrip each but it was $45 plus local tax each.  All vendors about the same pricing.  One could try to book in advance online but weather in September made it iffy, so we just did it in port.

11 minutes ago, bmblob said:

Got the shuttle at the port vendors - was expecting it to be about $25-30 roundtrip each but it was $45 plus local tax each.  All vendors about the same pricing.  One could try to book in advance online but weather in September made it iffy, so we just did it in port.

That is why we rent a car for around $100.  We go to Mendenhall on our schedule and stay for almost three hours.  We left Mendenhall and headed down the Glacier Highway.  Last time, we drove to the end of the road, we have a picture of the sign too lol.  Lots of trails there to hike if you want.  There is a dirt road that continues but our rental agreement was paved roads only.  Turned around and headed to Eagle Beach and then on to the Shrine of St Therese.  We stopped for a few things at Fred Meyer on the way back to town.  Parked downtown and did some shopping.  I got dropped off at the ship with our stuff and DH took car back.  I dropped everything at the cabin, headed back off the ship and met DH at Tracy's for some crab.

• 2 months later...

We are going on our second cruise to Alaska in May, so I'm actively researching some shore excursions.

Is the Juneau city bus a blue school bus? We went on an Alaskan cruise 10 years ago (NCL) and I recall walking up to a kiosk, paying for our passes, and boarding a blue bus to get to Mendenhall Glacier and back. Does anyone know how much the passes cost currently?

I don't know what to do for a tour in Vancouver. When we stopped there before, there was a bus near the pier that we paid maybe $8 a person, and it took us to the downtown area to walk around in for a couple of hours.   This time, we are sailing with Royal Caribbean, and I'm leaning towards a 2.5 hour-long city "historical sights" walking tour. I have read that Buchart Gardens is too big to explore during an abbreviated evening tour, so that's out. Any suggestions?

We have booked tours with Royal for Sitka and Skagway, so we're good.

Thanks for any advice!

Edited by sushitex

Going on Quantum in June and can't find any Fishing trips with RCL (all sold out).  Have something already planned for Skagway. Are there any recommendations for Fishing trips in Icy Strait or Juneau?

Any help would be appreciated.