Covid on Zuiderdam

Loreto

We are on the 10 day Sea of Cortez Holiday Cruise.  The captain announced around 4 this afternoon the our call tomorrow at Topolobompo has been cancelled.  Several crew and passengers tested positive for Covid, with mild symptoms and contact tracing done, but resulting in a sea day tomorrow.  Our dining steward said Mazatlan is questionable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

My parents are on this cruise, no major issues reported. Had the Copper Canyon trip booked and are disappointed but understand the reasoning. However, the Mexican government came out and said ships with Covid will not be denied entry to ports. Will they uncancel?? Sounds like Mazatlan may still be a go? https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/International/wireStory/mexico-cruise-ships-coronavirus-cases-dock-81975866

Edited by JMKreno

So sorry! Prayers for all involved. Thanks for taking your time to share @Loreto. I hope your cruise is still enjoyable, despite the missed port(s) of call.

With the rapid spread of Omicron, there are numerous other ships dealing with canceled port stops, crew outbreaks, and closure of some on board activities (see the Carnival and RCCL boards, especially). Multiple ships are transferring infected crew to other ships without passengers in the fleet.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2820934-jewel-of-the-seas-puts-covid-infected-crew-members-onto-rhapsody-of-the-seas/ 

A passenger reported Koningsdam did this the other day, as well.

Queen Mary 2 is foregoing its return to NYC to remain in Barbados while more crew come in, and after will sail back to Southampton. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2819749-mergedoutbreak-on-qm2-as-it-pulls-into-new-york/page/13/

Best wishes for all affected! 🙏

Edited by syesmar

Mexican Federal Government announced today a new cruise ship in Mexican Port policy. Those who test negative will be allowed to leave the ship and visit the port. It means crew will have test passengers before arrival. Hopefully this will save a few ports for the rest of your cruise.

• Like 1

So what are these “sanitary filters” referenced in the article?

”…Around 400 people had disembarked from the vessel during the morning after proceeding through sanitary filters set up to identify suspected cases of infection, Alomia said...”

16 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

So what are these “sanitary filters” referenced in the article?

”…Around 400 people had disembarked from the vessel during the morning after proceeding through sanitary filters set up to identify suspected cases of infection, Alomia said...”

The only thing different yesterday was that they were taking temperatures when you got off the ship. My temperature was actually taken twice getting off the ship. When boarding the shuttle bus my temperature was also taken. Later it appeared the temperature requirement stopped. And, hand sanitizer was offered entry and exit the shuttle bus. I didn’t see some people decline The hand sanitizer. 

Edited by Sam.Seattle

4 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Yes and we know how accurate the media has been with case counts 🙄

I am no fan of the media but much of the problem with the reporting of cruise ship case counts has been the reluctance of cruise lines (especially those owned by CCL) to publicly report statistics.  CCL companies prefer to say things like "there have been a few positive tests" without even mentioning the numbers, how many are crew, passengers, etc.   Even folks on the ships have repeatably posted the lack of specific information other then things like "the Captain said some folks have tested positive."

Perhaps the most interesting report involved the Jewel of the Seas where it was said that some infected crew members were moved to a different RCI ship in order to reduce the numbers/percentage of infected on the Jewel (so it could meet some threshold requirements).  While I have a degree of skepticism about this report we have not seen any denials from RCI.  

When I worked in government one of our attorneys suggested that the best weapon against speculation and inaccurate information is to be transparent and quickly release the real facts.  That is often a lesson learned the hard way.

Hank

• Like 3

IMHO, the back story to deciding to allow ships into Mexican ports has got to be the financial impact for the Mexican government. They will most certainly find a way to permit ships to disembark passengers. From port fees, to shore excursions, to local merchants.....they'll find a way to keep 

the cash flowing.    

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I am no fan of the media but much of the problem with the reporting of cruise ship case counts has been the reluctance of cruise lines (especially those owned by CCL) to publicly report statistics.  CCL companies prefer to say things like "there have been a few positive tests" without even mentioning the numbers, how many are crew, passengers, etc.   Even folks on the ships have repeatably posted the lack of specific information other then things like "the Captain said some folks have tested positive."

Perhaps the most interesting report involved the Jewel of the Seas where it was said that some infected crew members were moved to a different RCI ship in order to reduce the numbers/percentage of infected on the Jewel (so it could meet some threshold requirements).  While I have a degree of skepticism about this report we have not seen any denials from RCI.  

When I worked in government one of our attorneys suggested that the best weapon against speculation and inaccurate information is to be transparent and quickly release the real facts.  That is often a lesson learned the hard way.

Hank

Just for clarity I am not defending the cruise line.  The media doesn't have to make crap up either. I get so tired of hearing about the "petri dish".

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Just for clarity I am not defending the cruise line.  The media doesn't have to make crap up either. I get so tired of hearing about the "petri dish".

To add fuel to the fire I just saw an article in UK's Guardian that says "CDC investigating 86 cruise ships with reported outbreaks"

Go figure.

Hank

9 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

To add fuel to the fire I just saw an article in UK's Guardian that says "CDC investigating 86 cruise ships with reported outbreaks"

Go figure.

Hank

I just counted 87 on the CDC website (plus another 4 they are monitoring)

56 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

Both RCL and CCL are using ships that have not restarted as quarantine ships.  For example CCL is using the Crown Princess near San Diego.  There are similar reports of ships off loading infected crew to a RCL quarantine ship near Coco Cay.  

11 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Go figure.

Hank

Basically they are just counting the ships in Yellow status.  Some of which have investigations in process, some of which have investigations completed - monitoring.  A ship will remain in that status for at least 14 days, even if there are not any other cases.

53 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

However, data is pretty clear that the relative close confines of a cruise ship, together with the frequent intermingling of passengers in inside spaces do create an environment that demonstrates higher RO than almost any other place.

Those issues are somewhat offset by the current protocols with vaccines, testing and masking.  However, the current situation clearly shows that the protections of the protocols are being stretched to limit with the current variant.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Loreto said:

We have a sea day itinerary today.  Mazatlan is still listed on the tv screen itinerary for 1 pm tomorrow.  It is overcast out with calm seas. We shall see what is decided.

Karen

Just a heads up, Karen. We are in Mazatlan as we speak with Konngsdam. No probs getting clearance from the local authorities this morning. Be safe! 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I have family on this sailing and was hoping they would not have these issues.  Unfortunately, I think cruising will continue to have these issues since it is not a bubble when people get off the ship (crew included) and have contact with others.  The cruise lines can do all of the mitigation by vaccinating and testing (which is great and should absolutely be required) but unless they can control that bubble I think it could wreak havoc on a sailing.  

I for one would be ok sailing on a ship to nowhere (on a limited basis).  Better than cancelling ports at the last minute and having to change plans.

Edited by Coffeeluvr05