CDC issues Cruise Warning - Long Term outcome?

floridatravelersforlife

The cruise lines stock prices suffered on the stock markets today as a result of the CDC's latest guidance on avoiding cruising. What will happen if  pax now cancel in droves.  This is scary.

We all know how the cruise lines took on extreme debt to survive up to now.  With the stringent debt requirements, there is the possibility of debt calls.  This could mean  anything from further liquidation of vessels to bankruptcy, especially for the smaller cruise lines.  The clock is ticking.

I for one have several bookings for 22-23  sailings that have significant deposits.  I am concerned  about losing the deposits permanently.

Any thoughts?

34 minutes ago, floridatravelersforlife said:

The cruise lines stock prices suffered on the stock markets today as a result of the CDC's latest guidance on avoiding cruising. What will happen if  pax now cancel in droves.  This is scary.

We all know how the cruise lines took on extreme debt to survive up to now.  With the stringent debt requirements, there is the possibility of debt calls.  This could mean  anything from further liquidation of vessels to bankruptcy, especially for the smaller cruise lines.  The clock is ticking.

I for one have several bookings for 22-23  sailings that have significant deposits.  I am concerned  about losing the deposits permanently.

Any thoughts?

Remember the opening line of  the "HITCHHIKERS GUIDE TO THE GALAXY"........." DON'T PANIC" .........     People and the market react emotionally to news whether it is good or bad...   Know  that the media thrives on featuring and even promoting "BAD" news.   Hey,  Relax,, do not get emotional pour your self some wine and watch a travel show.. do not let your emotions run your life...     I have $eriou$ money, not only in several cruises this year but have paid in full......... I  am not worried...  Things will get sorted out and the media will find other topics to focus on........... 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, floridatravelersforlife said:

....We all know how the cruise lines took on extreme debt to survive up to now.  ......This could mean  anything from further liquidation of vessels to bankruptcy, especially for the smaller cruise lines.  The clock is ticking.

Any thoughts?

IMO, it is the larger lines that will suffer the most. Not only do their behemoth ships have more cabins to fill and a far more dangerous environment for disease transmission (1000s of folks onboard with unfavorable space ratios), the more environmentally challenged ports are turning them away in greater numbers.

Maybe the eventual death of floating amusement parks will be what little silver lining may come from this Covid mess.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

Remember the opening line of  the "HITCHHIKERS GUIDE TO THE GALAXY"........." DON'T PANIC" .........     People and the market react emotionally to news whether it is good or bad...   Know  that the media thrives on featuring and even promoting "BAD" news.   Hey,  Relax,, do not get emotional pour your self some wine and watch a travel show.. do not let your emotions run your life...     I have $eriou$ money, not only in several cruises this year but have paid in full......... I  am not worried...  Things will get sorted out and the media will find other topics to focus on........... 

Oceania knows what to do:

image.jpeg.e1867f7de3b8fa4f7645ae8094beeda7.jpeg

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Of course!

Though I respect folks’ yea/nay Cruise decisions, I urge all other of us geezers to remember TICK TICK TICK....

Agreed although I'm not ready to admit I'm a geezer yet....

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Of course!

Though I respect folks’ yea/nay Cruise decisions, I urge all other of us geezers to remember TICK TICK TICK....

On the other hand, we'd like to do everything we can to CONTINUE our own tick-tick-ticking!

😉

Happy New Year!

GC

13 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

On the other hand, we'd like to do everything we can to CONTINUE our own tick-tick-ticking!

Absolutely.

A fortnight today, we are due to fly to Spain for a three week holiday. It is not the being in Spain that's a worry but the getting to Spain. The relevent Tripadvisor forum is packed with adverse comments about being packed like sardines in the security queue at my departure airport. Adverse comments about people dodging round the mask wearing on the plane by taking inordinate amounts of time "eating & drinking". Adverse comments about being crammed onto the bus from the plane to the terminal. And absolutely no attempt at social distancing in a very slow moving queue at passport control (folk have reported being stood there for 2 hours).

We have to make our mind up soon about whether we go or not. We have limited years left for travel, yet don't want to jeopardise all the other good things about life just for a holiday.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2021 at 7:49 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

IMO, it is the larger lines that will suffer the most. Not only do their behemoth ships have more cabins to fill and a far more dangerous environment for disease transmission (1000s of folks onboard with unfavorable space ratios), the more environmentally challenged ports are turning them away in greater numbers.

Maybe the eventual death of floating amusement parks will be what little silver lining may come from this Covid mess.

Fully agree. RCI's recent experience with their Oasis class ships proves your point.  RCI made a policy decision to recoup monies using the holiday period crush to stuff their ships and the result was ships filled with COVID infections, limited live entertainment on board (entertainers were sick), long lines for the ease of transmission, and more importantly passengers flaunting safety and health protocols while crew and security looked the other way.  Not an endorsement for safe cruising.

57 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Fully agree. RCI's recent experience with their Oasis class ships proves your point.  RCI made a policy decision to recoup monies using the holiday period crush to stuff their ships and the result was ships filled with COVID infections, limited live entertainment on board (entertainers were sick), long lines for the ease of transmission, and more importantly passengers flaunting safety and health protocols while crew and security looked the other way.  Not an endorsement for safe cruising.

well we are all entitled to our opinions, but not to facts.

I'd refer you to the RCL CEO's recent statement regarding the infection rate on board a ship, and ask you stop fearmongering.

• Like 2

Just now, AlexCherie said:

well we are all entitled to our opinions, but not to facts.

I'd refer you to the RCL CEO's recent statement regarding the infection rate on board a ship, and ask you stop fearmongering.

I agree.  If I feel negative about how people around me are behaving it's not the time to cruise.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nymich said:

I agree.  If I feel negative about how people around me are behaving it's not the time to cruise.  

Indeed. We are all entitled to fearing for our lives; throughout this process we have waffled on whether or not to sail on Tuesday.

What has helped in the decision making have been the facts as laid out here and elsewhere. We're confident that the ship is, at the end of the day, the most safe place perhaps on earth. And as we always have been, we're ready to be sheltered in place on that ship, simply enjoying the sun and the water around us.

If you live in nirvana maybe that's not enough for you. But I look out on a gray landscape and boy, January 4th can't come soon enough. Boy, to be part of the incredibly lucky 400 people on board the Riveria with likely 10 nights access to The Polo or Red Ginger.

Won't happen again in my lifetime.

• Like 2

Alex, please keep us up to date while you are on Riviera next week. I'll be interested to hear of your experience on a ship at only at 25% capacity. If you don't make any ports and just float around for 10 days, that could be really boring or ideal depending on why you cruise. 

Are you still planning to be on Riviera April 4? I sure don't want to fly all the way to Europe just to be on a cruise ship for 10 days with no port stops. I cruise for ports, not the ship.

• Like 2

I certainly will, if lucky enough to get on board!

Floating around for 10 days ... just fine by me, so long as I have access to specialty dining. It's the Caribbean after all, not like I'm missing out on Quebec, Normandy or London. 

Re: April 4 ... if we don't sail in January, that money will immediately but put on the Western Med trip with you. If we do sail, it will be our first trip with O. I might, might find the kopeks hidden in the couch to make that second trip this year. It was actually my dream trip all along. 

For me, that itinerary was great simply because we envision ourselves getting off the boat and walking around old, old places. Oh, what an adventure.

As you can tell, the giddiness is growing. 

• Like 2