Covid Isolation Protocols Changed

Razryn

6 hours ago, Razryn said:

Nope, the ship did not say there was any additional guidance for masking around others. It would be to follow the standard protocol as other guests i.e. masks indoors, and can remove during eating, drinking, or being outdoors.

@Razryn

In that case, it would seem that whomever is making policy onboard has not thought this through completely, or those communicating have left it out. The new guidelines hinge on an infected person keeping their mask on at all times in public for the remaining 5 days.

Best Regards!

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, syesmar said:

@Razryn

In that case, it would seem that whomever is making policy onboard has not thought this through completely, or those communicating have left it out. The new guidelines hinge on an infected person keeping their mask on at all times in public for the remaining 5 days.

Best Regards!

Masking is already required by everyone on the ship. 

9 hours ago, nocl said:

The guidance from the CDC is if the person no longer has symptoms then they can stop quarantining after 5 days and them much mask everywhere for another 5 days. If he still has fever he should still quarantine.

Did the ship tell him he needs to mask everywhere around others?

People with COVID-19 should isolate for 5 days and if they are asymptomatic or their symptoms are resolving (without fever for 24 hours), follow that by 5 days of wearing a mask when around others to minimize the risk of infecting people they encounter.

All people see is the first part. I think it is dangerous to send them out at 5 days when there is no way to monitor if they are wearing a mask. They think they have a Covid problem now, releasing people at 5 days without a mask will only make it worse. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

All people see is the first part. I think it is dangerous to send them out at 5 days when there is no way to monitor if they are wearing a mask. They think they have a Covid problem now, releasing people at 5 days without a mask will only make it worse. 

It's called adulting.  People are responsible for themselves.  Contagion peaks and declines very quickly which is why the protocols have changed.   Omicron is not like Delta and people need to get out of the mindset that they are the same.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I retired from 40 plus years working in medical labs.  This virus is here to stay and like the flu virus when man builds better vaccines the virus builds a better variant.  It's nature. We have not conquered the common cold.

Remember just because you are vaccinated you can still get the flu, and covid.

Edited by fenton04
spelling
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 4

I dont read the refund policy the same way some on here are. If you are still on the ship, your cruise wasnt cut short. You got the full amt of days onboard plus rcl had to take care of you.

Yes if you dont board, refund .. but here is the rest ... I dont see a refund is due. News to me. I got b2bs coming up so interested.

• Pro-rated cruise fare refund if your cruise is cut short for reasons related to COVID-19. 
  • If you test positive for COVID-19 during the cruise, Royal Caribbean will cover the costs of COVID-19 related medical treatment onboard, any required land-based quarantine, and travel home for you and your Traveling Party. 
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Razryn said:

Hm yeah I think there would be some refund but the Traveler 1 at 100% fare and Traveler 2 at 40% fare messes up the calculation. It’s really just luck who was assigned traveler 1 vs 2 but in this case Traveler 2 with the reduced fair happened to be the one with Covid.

we aren’t married and we don’t share expenses so we split the cost 50/50. Kind of sucks if he got only a small portion back due to the sale pricing gimmick. Especially since he spent both his birthday and New Year’s Eve isolated from everyone. 

We were quarantined a couple of years ago due to influenza.  We received a FCC for our cruise fare only for the number of days that we were quarantined.  I was passenger 1 with a much higher cruise fare and received a much larger FCC than my DH.  We received letters from guest services detailing how many days we would receive credit for and told we would receive an email from Royal Caribbean stating the exact dollar amount a few weeks later.  The email never came but I called to question where it was and had to send them the letters we received on the ship.  We then received an email with the FCC a week or so after they researched.

I am not sure how they will handle a covid quarantine but this was our experience.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, fenton04 said:

I retired from 40 plus years working in medical labs.  This virus is here to stay and like the flu virus when man builds better vaccines the virus builds a better variant.  It's nature. We have not conquered the common cold.

Remember just because you are vaccinated you can still get the flu, and covid.

I don't think anyone thinks it's going to completely go away, but like other epidemics (flu i.e.,) it will become endemic.  By now, everyone should understand the vaccine was never meant to prevent illness, but to limit or prevent hospitalizations and deaths, just like all other vaccines.   Viruses evolve to survive. Killing off their hosts is not the way to survive.  A virus's "better" variant is like Omicron, spreads easily, quickly but doesn't make people as sick.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

We were quarantined a couple of years ago due to influenza.  We received a FCC for our cruise fare only for the number of days that we were quarantined.  I was passenger 1 with a much higher cruise fare and received a much larger FCC than my DH.  We received letters from guest services detailing how many days we would receive credit for and told we would receive an email from Royal Caribbean stating the exact dollar amount a few weeks later.  The email never came but I called to question where it was and had to send them the letters we received on the ship.  We then received an email with the FCC a week or so after they researched.

I am not sure how they will handle a covid quarantine but this was our experience.

Did you still get the full loyalty pts awarded? That's my fear, if I was awarded a fcc for missing days I'm in isolation they might also take away loyalty pts I would get otherwise.

20 minutes ago, BND said:

I don't think anyone thinks it's going to completely go away, but like other epidemics (flu i.e.,) it will become endemic.  By now, everyone should understand the vaccine was never meant to prevent illness, but to limit or prevent hospitalizations and deaths, just like all other vaccines.   Viruses evolve to survive. Killing off their hosts is not the way to survive.  A virus's "better" variant is like Omicron, spreads easily, quickly but doesn't make people as sick.

Totally agree.  With any viral or bacterial respiratory infections.  You are most infectious when you are first infected and the body has not had a chance to fight the infection and you do not display symptoms.  When you do display symptoms people will avoid you.  At his point if its viral our antibodies are working to beat down the virus.  That's when patients are less infectious.  Bacterial infections are treated with antibiotics.  Same drill.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Razryn said:

Nope, the ship did not say there was any additional guidance for masking around others. It would be to follow the standard protocol as other guests i.e. masks indoors, and can remove during eating, drinking, or being outdoors.

Did the Oasis still have the NYE parties? I know you said the shows were cancelled. I'm sorry for the bum trip 😞 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

This is what I expected for how the system handles it. It’s just very unfortunate for us that traveler 2 with the 60% fare happened to be the one getting something back. Based on my initial discussions with guest services it seems like it will be FCC.

12 minutes ago, CruisingSince1982 said:

Did the Oasis still have the NYE parties? I know you said the shows were cancelled. I'm sorry for the bum trip 😞 

Yes, all NYE parties went on as scheduled. The promenade had lots of balloons leading up to midnight. I opted to stay in my room and watch the ball drop instead as I wasn’t comfortable being around unmasked people indoors. About half the people walking around were unmasked eating, drinking, or taking pictures and since the outside forward section was closed due to wind most people were inside (aqua theater area was still open though as somehow there were no wind issues there).

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Did you still get the full loyalty pts awarded? That's my fear, if I was awarded a fcc for missing days I'm in isolation they might also take away loyalty pts I would get otherwise.

Yes, we did get our full points for the cruise.

1 hour ago, Razryn said:

This is what I expected for how the system handles it. It’s just very unfortunate for us that traveler 2 with the 60% fare happened to be the one getting something back. Based on my initial discussions with guest services it seems like it will be FCC.

Make sure you get something in writing before you leave the ship, otherwise you will have problems getting the FCC if you do not have proof.

• Like 3

No new announcements but someone asked during Q&A with the captain.

update on release: They’ve just now changed their mind and will no longer be releasing him after 5 days. The nurse on duty today is not the same as the one I called yesterday. The nurse today said that the CDC has updated to 5 days but that only applies to land and not cruise ships. It is still 10 days for cruise ships which means he won’t be released anymore, but once disembarked he’s free to travel back home since the 5 days requirement will have already been fulfilled on the ship. I know things change but this just seems like Nurse 1 interpreting one way and Nurse 2 another. Nurse 2 even said she doesn’t know what nurse 1 is doing. Really frustrating that we are getting inconsistent communication and now the false hope on the last day 😞

Edited by Razryn
Spelling
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Razryn said:

No new announcements but someone asked during Q&A with the captain.

update on release: They’ve just now changed their mind and will no longer be releasing him after 5 days. The nurse on duty today is not the same as the one I called yesterday. The nurse today said that the CDC has updated to 5 days but that only applies to land and not cruise ships. It is still 10 days for cruise ships which means he won’t be released anymore, but once disembarked he’s free to travel back home since the 5 days requirement will have already been fulfilled on the ship. I know things change but this just seems like Nurse 1 interpreting one way and Nurse 2 another. Nurse 2 even said she doesn’t know what nurse 1 is doing. Really frustrating that we are getting inconsistent communication and now the false hope on the last day 😞

If he is still symptomatic is he getting on an airplane?  I thought the 5 days applied only to asymptomatic? 

• Like 3

He’s never had a fever and from what I’ve read that is when the 5 days start after testing positive.

he has a minor cough but I read that can persist for quite a while and doesn’t mean he is contagious 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I dont read the refund policy the same way some on here are. If you are still on the ship, your cruise wasnt cut short. You got the full amt of days onboard plus rcl had to take care of you.

Yes if you dont board, refund .. but here is the rest ... I dont see a refund is due. News to me. I got b2bs coming up so interested.

• Pro-rated cruise fare refund if your cruise is cut short for reasons related to COVID-19. 
  • If you test positive for COVID-19 during the cruise, Royal Caribbean will cover the costs of COVID-19 related medical treatment onboard, any required land-based quarantine, and travel home for you and your Traveling Party. 

Cut short is mandatory quarantining.  Especially when they take you out of your room and put you in a covid section.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jerseygirl3 said:

Of those tested. How many are positive that aren’t tested!

This right here.  I'm in quarantine now with my child who is positive...I KNOW I have it by this point.  I wasn't tested and won't be tested is what they told me.  

I can't even imagine how many are walking around all over this ship covid positive right now.  The number has to be astronomical.  Just thinking about the people the two of us were around alone.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Rosy Season said:

This right here.  I'm in quarantine now with my child who is positive...I KNOW I have it by this point.  I wasn't tested and won't be tested is what they told me.  

I can't even imagine how many are walking around all over this ship covid positive right now.  The number has to be astronomical.  Just thinking about the people the two of us were around alone.

That’s terrible that they won’t test you.  They obviously just want to keep their positive count down!  

If I were you, I’d tell them that I need to be tested on the ship because my employer will want to know for returning to work or something like that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, D4 said:

That’s terrible that they won’t test you.  They obviously just want to keep their positive count down!  

If I were you, I’d tell them that I need to be tested on the ship because my employer will want to know for returning to work or something like that.

That won't even work because I already have to quarantine with my minor child.  They have no reason to test me.  It's frustrating.  And at this point, it doesn't change what I need to do either.  If I'm positive, literally nothing different will happen.