The Daily for Saturday 01/01/2022

richwmn

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

Happy New Year! 🎇🎊🥳

The quote is truly beautiful!

It has been quite a busy week since returning from the cruise and then Cocoa Beach where I had the privilege to meet Charlene, @cunnorl, this past Sunday. I have spent most of this week helping a friend who is going through radiation get some errands done and prepare her house for when her husband, who had hip replacement surgery, returns home from rehab.

Last night for the first time since I can remember we were awake at midnight due to the football game; it ended around 11, but by the time dishes were done and my DMIL told us about the texts between her and one of my BILs we climbed into bed at 11:57.

I have been praying and will continue to for all on our care list. Sandi, @StLouisCruisers, adding your DGS. Hopefully he has a mild case and will recover quickly.

Today we will watch football, eat ham, black eyed peas and other stuff. Looking forward to relaxing with DH here in sunny Orlando. (Not sure when we are heading home.)

Wishing each of you a terrific 2022! May we all have great health, happiness and peace.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 31

Good morning everyone. Happy New Year. Last night was the first night I wasn’t up at midnight to watch fireworks with Sam and some friends. I did tape them to watch the ones from NYC. Today.

We spoke to our friend, the wife whose husband is in hospice and who we have spent 56 New Year’s Eves with. New Year’s Eve will never be the same for us again. 

However, I’m determined to start this year on a positive note and to be grateful for all the good things bin my life. On that note, I had my coffe out of a Dam ship blue cup with an N on it for my favorite ship.

Wishing all the dailites a year of health, peace and much joy.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 37
  • Thanks 3

Happy New Year to all!

We had fondue dinner later after tots went to bed which was very nice. Had been a long time since we have enjoyed fondue. This time we added artichoke hearts to the selections and they were a big hit. None of us made it to midnight and there are no hangovers!

Thankful for seeing another year in my life and looking forward to an exciting year of travels 🤞🤞🤞with trips to Cancun, MS Rotterdam, Kauai, Outer Hebrides, Scotland and Rotterdam again in Norway.

My son’s family with Covid are all doing fine.

Not much on the agenda today other then enjoying being with family!

Thanks Rich and Roy and to all of our fellow CC members.

May this New Year bring you good health, wonderful travels and fantastic memories.

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 35

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit.  Happy New Year Dailyites.  Thank you Rich!  We had those M80's type fireworks until after midnight.  Sigh....  So excited to be boarding a BHB tomorrow.  Usually we drive down the day before, but not this year.  Don't want the crowds in a hotel.

Major prayers for our care list and all of us.  May 2022 be a better year, health wise for humans and animals.

Toasts to our celebrations.

Please continue to stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Hornitos Ranch Water:

Ingredients:

1 1/2 oz. Hornitos Plata tequila
3/4 oz. fresh lime juice
4 oz. Polar raspberry lime seltzer water
1 lime, slice, for garnish

Directions
Pour tequila and fresh lime juice into an ice-filled 8-oz. glass; stir to combine. Top with seltzer water. If desired, cut a slit in a lime slice for garnish.

Screen Shot 2022-01-01 at 7.09.23 AM.png

Dixie, Have a wonderful  cruise and Happy New Year

• Like 21

Happy New Year to everyone!  I pray that 2022 is a healthy year for all!   I will be off CC today.  3-6" of snow coming at noon and my two big jobs today.  At least they are easier to take down than to decorate.  Enjoy the Meomi! Cheers! 🥳

IMG_20211231_101046260.jpg

IMG_20211231_100910444.jpg

• Like 29

28 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Many groups / cultures have a traditional meal to eat on New Years Day to bring luck for the coming year. In the South (where we both live) it is Black Eyed Peas, in Pennsylvania Dutch Country it is Sauerkraut. I have seen references to many others. What is yours?

Ours is pork. Our French friends’ is lentils. 

• Like 21

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL.

Thank you Rich for the Daily and Roy for the Care and Cheers List.

I am so grateful for this thread.  It is my go-to place each day.

This is a place where people really care about each other and we can ask for prayers and celebrate together.  There is a feeling of acceptance and a positive air.  

Love all the pictures and recipes and just plain fun.

Thank you all for helping to make my day, every day.  

May you all have a wonderful 2022.

Terri

• Like 36

Happy New Year to all.I had fallen asleep earlier but woke up at midnight when the neighborhood  kids were outside blowing horns and yelling. The dogs joined in and then we all could wish each other a Happy New Year.The dogs dislike the fireworks  and were trying to both fit under the bed.

I loved the quote,thanks Rich.We have not been to Glasgow  but love Scotland. Today's  meal will be bean and cheese  enchiladas  as a special request.I am happy to oblige.

Terry 

• Like 30

@richwmnwe don't have a traditional New Year's meal.  I suppose it will be whatever my chef DH wants to prepare.  I haven't picked up the black eyed peas tradition, nor collard greens!  Nice to hear of other Dailyites's holiday favorites.🥗

@JAM37thank you for thinking of DGS and adding him to your prayers.  But I'm pretty sure he will be fine.  Just minor symptoms with this variant. 

When I went to add today's port, Greenock, to my list I see that Greenock was our port of the day on March 2, 2021.  Rich started this feature on the Daily on March 1, 2021, so I wonder if we've run through the list and are beginning again?  🤔

• Like 28

Rabbit, Rabbit, White Rabbit.   

And Happy New Year to my CC family!

1599469886_New-Year-SMS-2022-Messages-Wishes--Happy-New-Year-2022-1.jpg.c316540a11ec111a200158f86bf824cd.jpg

No hangover here as I was in bed and asleep by 10:30 pm last night.  That is my usual mode for New Year's Eve.   I spent yesterday getting ready for tonight.  Tom will be here and a couple friends from way back to watch the Rose Bowl.  The theme of the party is to eat food that isn't good for us because we can start New Year's resolutions tomorrow.  So, we're having my world famous chicken wings, sauerkraut balls, shrimp cocktail, cheese and crackers, and a small amount of vegetables, fruit and dip.  Everything is done.   All I have to do is reheat the wings and sauerkraut balls and put the food out.  

New Year's Day has some interesting food traditions.   The food associated with the day is meant to bring good luck, health, and prosperity to those who eat the meal.   Where I am it is pork and sauerkraut.  In some places it is black eyed peas and collard greens.  Here is an article about New Year's foods:   https://www.fox29.com/news/pork-and-sauerkraut-hoppin-john-on-new-years-history-of-lucky-food-traditions

The Food department is thankful for the day off and will resume normal operations tomorrow morning.   

• Like 33
  • Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

When I went to add today's port, Greenock, to my list I see that Greenock was our port of the day on March 2, 2021.  Rich started this feature on the Daily on March 1, 2021, so I wonder if we've run through the list and are beginning again?  🤔

When I started the Port feature I was able to pull a list of ports HAL was then offering from their web site. I then removed duplicates and used a package to randomize the order.

Late November / Early December I attempted to do the same thing but the list wasn't available. I don't remember where all I pulled ports from, the list is at home, but I'm pretty sure World Cruise 2023 was used. Seems like over 500 ports were represented which were then randomized and paired with a date. I'm sure that there will be other duplicates over the course of the year. There are a limited number of ports that cruise ships go to.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 6

Rabbit, Rabbit, Rabbit

Happy New Year to everyone from a very warm and sunny day at the beach

We did not stay up to see the New Year in, figured we could  "meet it" this morning. We did hear all the fireworks.

Our meal tradition comes from DH family. He was from Western Pa. We have pork, sauerkraut, green beans and roasted apples. We used to do black eyed peas and collared greens for his southern roots. We stopped that a few years ago. Too much and I did not really care for it.

@JAM37 It was wonderful meeting you also. Hope to see you again when you cruise in February.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Happy New Year!  We had a nice crab leg dinner last night with DD and DSIL, and although in bed early, I did wake up just before midnight and could hear a lot of celebratory sounds in the neighborhood.  That was nice to hear.  I own up to a slight hangover today, but being such a lightweight, that's no claim to fame.  The second glass of wine with dinner did the trick.

We usually do have black-eyed peas on NY Day.  I make a salad called "Texas caviar" with them.  I couldn't find any this year, but we will have a bit of sauerkraut, and kale from the garden should suffice for lucky greens.

I hope everyone has a lovely first day of 2022.  Looking forward to seeing some party pics from our Dailyites at Sea -- and watching the beautiful Tournament of Roses Parade! 🌹

• Like 29

23 minutes ago, richwmn said:

When I started the Port feature I was able to pull a list of ports HAL was then offering from their web site. I then removed duplicates and used a package to randomize the order.

Late November / Early December I attempted to do the same thing but the list wasn't available. I don't remember where all I pulled ports from, the list is at home, but I'm pretty sure World Cruise 2023 was used. Seems like over 500 ports were represented which were then randomized and paired with a date. I'm sure that there will be other duplicates over the course of the year. There are a limited number of ports that cruise ships go to.

especially HAL ships with their petite beauty, Prinsendam gone.  Thank goodness we were able to take advantage of her abilities to get into smaller ports.🚢

• Like 20

35 minutes ago, dfish said:

The Food department is thankful for the day off and will resume normal operations tomorrow morning.   

And we are thankful for the food and wine department’s dedication 🙂 

Have a wonderful day off and enjoy your get together!

9 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

especially HAL ships with their petite beauty, Prinsendam gone.  Thank goodness we were able to take advantage of her abilities to get into smaller ports.🚢

I was about to say the same thing 🙂 

• Like 22

Good Morning for the first time in 2022 everyone! Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, and thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebrations Report. And thank you everyone for caring and sharing!

Just came back from walking Sam in the rain. Malamutes don't care what the weather is thanks to their double coat!  He doesn't even shake when we come back like other dogs as the rain never penetrates down to his skin. Today took three towels to just get him damp.  🙂

Our apprehension is growing about going on our cruise with what is going on now. We have no qualms about being aboard the Rotterdam during this time. The real problem is being in transit to and from. I believe that is where the virus is being contracted. Originally we had planned on the two day drive to FLL but then checked SWA's flight schedule. Trying to guess how bad the weather might be. If HAL changes their cancellation policy in the coming week, we will just delay going on a cruise. It has been reported here on CC that they have changed it in a different thread. The Caribbean Season is over in April so we may need to switch to a different venue.

Last night we enjoyed hot and cold appetizers for dinner. Having to take the antibiotic is really changing my schedule to prevent heartburn. Unfortunately I have been less than successful. Six more days to go! 

- Jack

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Ok, @JazzyV Vanessa, I hope you haven't started something new.   One of my crowns just popped off.  Sometimes you can reattach them with toothpaste and take them off to eat, especially if you can't get in to the dentist quickly.   I swear mine keeps me waiting, hoping the tooth will get infected and that I will need a root canal.  This same crown has come off before.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 5