The Daily for Saturday 01/01/2022

richwmn

I have a sunrise today from my Sierra Madre Express trip.  We  celebrated the millennium in an isolated scenic clifftop hotel away from electronics and all the trappings of modern life.  Not really much of a view of the sun but I loved the view looking down on the hotel roof.

img5005.JPG.5a4506f9e83611d59f5908df004f1ec2.JPG

Roy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

I wonder if our Dailyites have opinions about this.  DH received a jury summons for early February.  Both he and I really don't like the idea of him sitting in a room for who knows how many days during Covid with strangers.  There's a phone number he can call with questions but of course not until Monday.  

Any thoughts?

In Texas there is also an age where you can be excused from jury duty.  I'm not sure if it's 65 or 70, but we haven't been called for jury duty in years.  There are a few advantages of getting older.  😁

1 hour ago, mamaofami said:

Our friend in hospice at home died this morning. We spent at least 56 New Year’s Eves together. Waiting for funeral arrangements and then deciding what I can do. Very sad.

Carol

Carol, I'm so sorry about the loss of your friend.  Our condolences to you, Sam and your friend's family.  May 2022 be a much better year for your family.

Lenda

• Like 16

Our friend in hospice at home died this morning. We spent at least 56 New Year’s Eves together. Waiting for funeral arrangements and then deciding what I can do. Very sad.

Carol

I'm really saddened to hear your good friend passed today.  My condolences.

• Like 13

Carol

Carol I am so sorry. Always difficult- even when expected and a blessing.

Grab those memories and hold on tightly!❤️

Ann

• Like 15

16 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Carol I am so sorry. Always difficult- even when expected and a blessing.

Grab those memories and hold on tightly!❤️

Ann

My feelings exactly.  While it is in many ways a blessing leading to closure the end is always difficult.  May she rest in peace.

Roy

• Like 18

Remember last weekend when I posted a photo of DD's celebration tree?  It was decorated for Christmas in December.  She told me she might do a blue snowflake/icicle tree for January.  Instead she saw these adorable snowman head and arms on Amazon that you can use on top of your tree.  She tried it out and we think she did a great job.  She wasn't sure she wanted to keep it or re-do it with the snowflake/icicle theme for January.  I think we've talked her into leaving it this way.  After all, she can decorate it differently January 2023, couldn't she?  Here's Mr. Snowman.  She made the garland out of strips of red and white fabric she attached to some jute.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ-ZUW-DR_-VEpY8_bhhM_kKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1641073252

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

No rhyme or reason to me being able to post via my iPad…

Wanted to share, so everyone can start tomorrow!😎

BFC51977-5CBA-43B3-A9BC-A331EA41C666.jpeg.987788fe3f5cda8bade24519ff95620e.jpeg

Me, too , suddenly on my iPhone.  I haven’t been able to post on it for ages.  Must be a new year.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Carol

So sorry 😢. Raise a toast 🥂 to him every New Years and remember the good times. 

• Like 14

3 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Carol

Carol

My condolences on the loss of your friend.  I know how hard it is.  Besides my BIL this year I lost my best friend of 50 years in September.  It was devastating.  Three days later my BIL died.’

You are in my prayers.  Stay strong.  These are hard times.

Sending you all the hugs I can give,

Terri

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Carol

Carol,

So sorry for your loss. Prayers for comfort and that your memories outweigh the sadness.

• Like 11

@mamaofami I am sorry for your loss.  Just think back on those 56 New Years Eves that you had together with your friend.  I know that he has been in your heart for a while, and on your mind.  In a way, your heart was with them for the 57th NYE.  Prayers being sent your way, and to his family.

• Like 14

Thanks for sll the daily reports, recipes, humour and photos.

We have been to Glasgow many years ago when we lived in the UK.

@mamaofamicondolences to you Sam,  and the family of your friend.

@StLouisCruiserssorry that your DGS again has Covid, is it a different strain from the first infection?

We have sunshine, expected temperature 26 C, .....a pleasant summer day.

Best wishes to everyone for  2022.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

A late Happy New Year, but I wanted to drop in.  No hangovers here, and for an unknown reason, I enjoyed an epic night’s sleep.  Bliss.

We have been the definition of sloth today, watching football games all day.  We’re having better luck with the outcomes than we did yesterday.

It’s quite a lot colder, and a little snow today, but we are safe and warm, and have plenty of food for felines and humans.  Life is pretty good.

I really loved today’s quote, thank you Rich.

Best to all, and an extra hug for Jacqui.

• Like 18

We had a discussion yesterday about the Crystal Serenity.  It looks like she left Barbados pretty much as scheduled last night and AIS shows her arriving in Miami January 5 pretty much as scheduled.  She was supposed to visit St. Thomas tomorrow but I suspect she was denied entry.  Not particularly as the same thing happened there with Rotterdam so it appears they are particularly strict and denial does not mean a serious problem.

Roy

• Like 10
  • Thanks 6

21 minutes ago, erewhon said:

@StLouisCruiserssorry that your DGS again has Covid, is it a different strain from the first infection?

I'm pretty sure the testing here in the U.S. doesn't give you the variant type (unless there is some reason for the doctors to know that).  I would say the variant is probably different this time from the first time at the beginning of the year.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Carol

Very sorry for your loss Carol.  It’s tough to lose someone who you’ve spent so many joyful times with. May the memories of them always be close at hand.  

• Like 12

55 minutes ago, erewhon said:

Same to both of you and so grateful we got to meet you in New Zealand  a few years ago despite my upcoming crud that engulfed this cruise on the Oosterdam. The cruise of the crud!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Good evening.  Its been a long day, but the house is now back to normal, or what passes for normal.  All the Christmas decorations are put away until next November.  As usual, after a walk through, I thought everything was put away and then I spotted a decoration in the dining room.  An hour later, after DH did a walk through, I found another one still hanging on the backdoor, which I'd used a few times.  This is not a one off as it happens every year. 😂

Before I forget again, thank you all who posted pictures of today's port.  I know if I try to name everyone I'll forget someone.

Lenda

We're relaxing after our traditional New Year dinner and watching Baylor and Ole Miss play in the Sugar Bowl.  Go Bears.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@mamaofami Carol, I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your friend.  I hope the memories you have will bring you peace and comfort along with knowing your friend is no longer suffering.  

What a great day today!   I bought a lottery scratch off and it proved quite fruitful.  I have to take it to a special location to redeem it.  I know a portion will go to have that crown reseated.  Friends and I had a great meal and a wonderful time watching football and talking.  Even though it was just the four of us, it is more than I have had here in the house in a long time.  

• Like 24

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I'm pretty sure the testing here in the U.S. doesn't give you the variant type (unless there is some reason for the doctors to know that).  I would say the variant is probably different this time from the first time at the beginning of the year.

From the multitude of calls I have been on since March 2020, I have learned that once a variant is known to be in a particular area, then tests are "sequenced" at the testing site for what variant is present.  Again, this is what I have heard from the testing in Colorado - and, of course, I have NO medical training!

@mamaofami, my sincere condolences on the passing of your dear friend.  Treasure your memories of the happy times together.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1