The Cancel Or Cruise, No Judgement Zone, Thread.

Guindalf

15 minutes ago, Guindalf said:

If you are going to make statements like 'I heard several hundred people on xxxxxx ship all got covid', back it up or shut up!

We don't need fear-mongering. There's enough of that. What we need are FACTS! The intention of this thread is to help people (like me) who are trying to make the decision (we're booked to sail on the15th on Apex), so care-mongering and potentially false information is not helpful.

If that's your intention, find another thread to do it in - or start your own!

Who was that directed toward?

1 minute ago, Ken the cruiser said:

What mask mandate? We’re on the Connie right now and we are unaware of any mask mandate.

I read someone on this forum that the ships were making it clear to wear masks.  Don't shoot the messenger -- just know what I read.

17 minutes ago, Guindalf said:

If you are going to make statements like 'I heard several hundred people on xxxxxx ship all got covid', back it up or shut up!

We don't need fear-mongering. There's enough of that. What we need are FACTS! The intention of this thread is to help people (like me) who are trying to make the decision (we're booked to sail on the15th on Apex), so care-mongering and potentially false information is not helpful.

If that's your intention, find another thread to do it in - or start your own!

Um…all you have to do is visit the Royal board and there is a thread talking all about it. 🙄🙄

We have a June Alaska land and sea booked in a Celebrity Suite.  Part of the reason we go this suite was in case we would have to quarantine, at least we would have a nice big suite with a balcony.  Now I read they are moving people out  of suites and into porthole rooms for quarantine.  Also, is it true that we would have to wear masks on the ship?  Both of these reasons are making us think of canceling, but we have a couple months yet to decide.  If we cancel, we lose our $500 deposit but better than spending several thousand and stuck in a porthole if we were to test positive.

7 minutes ago, esther e said:

I read someone on this forum that the ships were making it clear to wear masks.  Don't shoot the messenger -- just know what I read.

Well, not on the Constellation. However, they are recommending you where a mask in situations where you are unable to social distance.

Now a mandate may be true on a ship by ship basis where they are having an increase in C19 incidents like on the Equinox or Silhouette. But it’s definitely not the case fleet wide or on the Constellation.

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Thanks 1

Jan. 9th on Equinox Southern Caribbean.

Cruise as of now, but going to watch for changes this week on the Jan. 3rd cruise.  Believe Celebrity will make protocol changes and want to see them in action before making a final decision.  Only concern is having to quarantine on a 12 nighter where we liked the port intensive itinerary.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

Can you please share what made the Constellation sailing so awful?  I have a B2B on her boarding on the 14th.  

We were on Constellation in early Dec.  We had a wonderful cruise and over the top service.  So much so my in-laws booked the same cruise in mid-Jan and they plan to go.  It will be different I am sure. We had no cases onboard that we were aware of.  Also, being a smaller ship with lower capacity helped I believe. 

We have our next planned for end of Feb. on Equinox and also plan to go.  

We just go in with our eyes open. Have to be flexible with ports, excursions,  etc. and also be prepared to be quarantined.  We also keep mostly to ourselves because we typically go with family and keep within our group.  Our vacation is our visit with family, so it doesn’t take much to keep us happy…

• Like 1

4/24/22 Equinox 12 night Caribbean....canceled this week

rebooked Nov 10 night Caribbean on Edge.

I do not think this will be over by our April cruise and have no desire to cruise with a mask, nor risk being quarantined in cabin or on some island. Also, too high of a risk our port stops will be canceled.

We have not been on Edge type ship either so decided this change would accomplish two things.

• Like 1

We’re supposed to go on the millennium on March 7th for 10 days. I just made my final payment. With great hesitation though. My husband and I have been “triple vaxxed” but we’re still hesitant bc omicron is so different from the other variants. Im hoping that it’s “on the down side” as time gets closer. I feel like that’s a possibility seeing how fast it’s moving. I work in a hospital and have to counsel patients so odds are good I will have HAD the omicron by then to be honest. Fun times! We will have to wait and see. I haven’t booked my flight yet though! And it’s a 15 hour drive to the port!!

We are booked on Apex for 1/29/22. It’s a L&S from January 2021. As of today we will probably go. We will be driving down to FL in a couple weeks to our house in Orlando. To us, that’s a more risky destination than the ship. We will wait and see if things get worse and decide. Luckily we have somewhere to stay and are not flying. If we were flying and didn’t have a place to stay we would cancel. 

We have done 4 cruise since the restart, two on Edge and town Royal. Loved them all especially the low passenger counts, but the ease of spread for omicron makes it a different animal.

If we cancel, the next one is 3/27/22 on Edge.

mac_tlc

1 hour ago, K12Guy said:

Trip insurance seems expensive until it's needed. We pay for trip insurance for every trip when we leave the continental United States, regardless.

With the exception of our first cruise where we were so uninformed I felt like I needed to tip the server at our embarkation lunch, we have always spent the money on trip insurance. Really hoping our string of not having any claims continues. 

3 hours ago, Guindalf said:

Date of sailing:

Cancel or Cruise:

Rebooked or not? Other travel plans:

Comment on why you made the decision (if you want) without bashing anyone who made a different choice:

We are intending to cruise the Apex starting Jan 15 assuming we test negative and Delta Airlines can get us to FLL on time.

Why?   I see no increased risk to my health by cruising v staying home.    There is COVID where I live, there is COVID in FL, there likely will be a few people with COVID on the Apex.  But it is a big ship and I see no greater risk then grocery shopping at my local Kroger.     

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

We will be driving down to FL in a couple weeks to our house in Orlando. To us, that’s a more risky destination than the ship

I really have to agree with you! I'm VERY concerned about the infection rate in Florida. One day last week new cases hit almost 45,000. Fortunately, we have until March for our next booked cruise, so I'm hoping for significant change in infections this month.

1 hour ago, booklady26 said:

Date of sailing: 1/4/22 10 day southern Carib on the Silhouette

Rebooked?: will probably apply FCC to 11/27/22 cruise already booked on the Beyond

Comment: My husband and I are 72 & 70 respectively and are in good health and are fully vaxxed and boosted, but don't want to risk even a mild infection. We sailed on 11/7 on the Equinox and again on 12/5 on the Edge and felt safer than we did on land knowing that everyone around you was vaccinated and had tested negative before boarding. Crew is also tested weekly. A few days after our return from the Edge, omicron exploded and we basically went into a modified self-imposed lockdown.

We have cruise booked for 2/5/22 on NCL and will wait and see what happens. Although NCL had discontinued their "safe sail" policy (similar to CWC) as of 10/31/21, they reinstated it on 12/30/21 for the month of January. 

There seems to be some debate as to whether or not FCC's can be applied to Beyond sailings. You might want to pursue this with Celebrity.

Date of sailing: 3 June 2022  Seward to Vancouver

Cancel or Cruise: Cruise maybe

Rebooked or not? Other travel plans: Our plans are still in the air. We will be a group of 4. 2 are US and 2 are British. We have pre cruise days in Seward and time after the cruise in Vancouver and Victoria. Should have more info from the Canadian Government the end of Feb 2022.

2 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Can you please share what made the Constellation sailing so awful?  I have a B2B on her boarding on the 14th.  

It will depend on where you are on the ship. I have heard some cabins were updated and others were not. We were on Deck 11 in Aqua class in a relic of a cabin with multiple issues. Encountering others in our hallway we heard comments such as - surprising that Celebrity would allow passengers into cabins like this, the cabin is a dump, and this is the worst cruise ever.

Cabin Issues: Door was hard to open and would not lock from the inside - was fixed on day 2 after 2 service calls. Electrical issue in the wall so the bedside lamps would not work - was fixed late on day 2 after 3 service calls - the adjoining cabin had a similar issue. Brown & orange chunky water coming out of the bathroom sink - it was gross and stained the sink bowl. No hot water in the shower - instructed by management to let the sink and shower run together for a bit to get the water running. Interactive TV did not work so really nothing to watch and could not see the on-board account which lead to going to guest services to get a printout AND discuss the cabin issues - both met with blank stares and no offer to compensate. Wifi did not work in the cabin so we had to go out to the hallway and sit on a couch by the elevator bank. The room furnishings were old and tired - sagging, faded burgundy couch, old carpet, frayed throw pillows. The decorative sheer was missing from the slider and there were missing hooks for the blackout curtain, so it did not completely close. A direct quote from our cabin steward (to us and others around us) - please do not judge my service based on the condition of the cabin.

To note - we own a real estate business.  I could stay at home and work through a project punch list or manage a tenant's service requests. We were not at all pleased to do this while on a ship on behalf of Celebrity and with no apology, explanation, or compensation. Furthermore, being in a property business it is appalling to me that nobody at Celebrity walked the cabins to see if the electricity was working, if the door locked, if the water was running properly, if the TV worked, if components of the room were working or if they were missing - negligent and unacceptable especially since several of these issues were unsafe and unsanitary. 

There is more but I do not want to rehash - at points we felt we were being punked or on Candid Camera. I have let out TA know. I have been writing to Celebrity weekly with no response. This week I am sending a certified letter. Hopefully that will get a response. After that I may just turn it over to my son to handle.

Edited by RollWave

Apex Jan. 8th Cancelled this morning via Celebrity site eg. Manage reservation. No rebooking yet. I could deal with all the hoops and hassles except for a non voluntary quarantine in a separate cabin for ??? days. Just going to fire up the RV and with DW trek out to California to visit family.

11 minutes ago, FastandFurious said:

Just going to fire up the RV and with DW trek out to California to visit family.

Don't forget to de-winterize your RV before taking off. Otherwise the water may taste a bit strange.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, K12Guy said:

Let me guess. Your son is a lawyer, right? 

Yes. We want an answer from Celebrity. We have been very loyal to Celebrity and want a response however we have to go about getting it - I want a response and answers. 

Date of sailing: B2B2B April 18, 2022 Panama Canal,  May 3 Pacific Coastal & May 15 Alaska Hubbard

Cancel or Cruise: Cancel the 3 cruises on Dec 16, 2021

Rebooked or not? Not

Comment ; we don't feel it's Covid safe to cruise by that time, Deposit is refundable also used FCC'S from previous cancellations,  waiting for the FCC'S to be applied on The August Iceland and Greenland.

Edited by gerelmx

Date of sailing: Jan 24 Silhouette followed by February 5 Reflection

Cancel or Cruise: Cruise to date, next 2 weeks will tell

Rebooked or not? Not yet Other travel plans: would feel more comfortable not flying and driving to port

Comment on why you made the decision (if you want) without bashing anyone who made a different choice: Nothing that has been instituted as of today is a complete deal killer for us, we tend to not go to shows, don’t sit out in the sun in a prime poolside lounger, while we enjoy port visits, we can do without. We do enjoy meeting people, especially the cruises where we meet up with folks that are simpatico with us to make good dinner companions - that won’t happen on the first leg, and I don’t care about second leg. I’m not convinced that this isolation will still be fun for 18 days, but I also think that we will be on the downhill side of omicron by Feb 5. It’s going to make an infection curve that looks like the Matterhorn. I would not advocate for anyone take my advice right now, especially anyone over 65 or with any hint of frailty. Frankly, I m about 50-50 as to whether or not ships will have to pause operations, and that pause would likely run to March. it is just about impossible to mitigate a virus with the same R value as measles, in indoor spaces, with people that are drinking, talking, etc. Question is how many infections and minor illnesses and bad publicity can the cruiselines, the CDC and us cruisers take?

Guindalf, thank you for starting this thread.  Great idea.

Date of sailing:  April 23, 2022

Cancel or Cruise:  Undecided as of now.  Waiting to see what happens with Omicron.

Rebooked or not? If we cancel before FP Jan 23, we will not rebook.

Comment on why you made the decision  We may ask Celebrity if they would extend the FP date for another month or so.  In these uncertain times I think asking for FP 90 days before the cruise is asking for cancellations.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, travelwide said:

Been there had that. Our prayers to your sister.  In my case the recovery was not as bad as expected. I did not enjoy the downtime. We went on a cruise 8 weeks later. Tell her to keep positive. 🙏

She doesn’t know yet that I cancelled the cruise.  Cardiac cath was Thursday, needs double bypass.  I cancelled that night.  EM