The Daily for Tuesday 01/04/2022

richwmn

Looking forward to seeing San Diego, IF our Hawaii cruise is a go in late February. Today is a drip, drip day as the snow melts off the roof and trees. Prayers for all who need them and cheers to those celebrating. 

• Like 18

Good afternoon, everyone!

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your DGD, Ashley

@marshhawk so sorry to hear of your health issues, hoping for a positive outcome

@kazuJacqui, continued positive thoughts for you and your Jose

@smitty34877hoping that Tana will continue to feel better

All other Dailyites I may have missed,  please know you are in my thoughts every single day.

When I checked our cruise spreadsheet I found we have been in or out of San Diego on three different cruises,  all on Celebrity Mercury.  Pretty sure I posted pictures the last time, but the devil made me post this one from when we toured the aircraft carrier Enterprise in 2007. 😉  (Sure this is probably on every Navy vessel, but we thought it was funny because one of DH's golf buddies was a Chief.)100_1513.thumb.jpg.52e53ba4c26d53d4aec01c72f7787e02.jpg

• Like 17
  • Haha 10

Greetings all from sunny but cold (not frozen tundra cold) Essex county. I have a cute story about San Diego. In 1992 on our first cross country drive we stopped in San Diego and camped for a couple of days. Our neighbours from back home were flying out to Palm Springs during the time we were in San Diego and we had made plans to visit them in palm springs  as we crossed the mountains homeward bound. Imagine our surprise when we heard our names shouted across a parking lot in old town San Diego. We tailgated with them with beer and nachos right there! We did visit them a few days later at their hotel in palm springs.

the appliance saga continues. Back in early November I think I posted that we bought a new fridge, dishwasher and washer. They were all delivered on Dec 23. Fridge, no issue just plug it in. Washer, a little fiddling to attach the drain hose because it was different than the old machine so no real issue. Dishwasher is still sitting in the middle of my kitchen. Seems the hook up is different than the old one and whatever my father jerry rigged many years ago is not compatible with the way this one needs to be hooked up. So, we bit the bullet and called a plumber. It will finally be installed this Friday. Fun times. My father, bless his heart, was very good at many things (he worked for a major construction company) and everything worked well even if it wasn’t always according to Hoyle. He saved us a ton of money doing projects for us. While my dh is very handy, this installation was beyond even him.so we pay the piper! And dad at 91 can’t help this time.

lifting a glass to all those celebrating and prayers going out for those that need them. 

• Like 26

6 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

@StLouisCruisers,Sandi,thank you  for your kind words.The situation began with long covid and she found out several months ago that she has idiopathic  pulmonary fibrosis. That unfortunately  carries a very poor prognosis.She doesn't give up under any circumstances  and is an example to all of us here with her.

She deserves  a  break so  sending  extra  prayers to  help.

Jim.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily and to all contributors.

Good days. I like spaghetti, but don't eat it often due to the carbs. As a student, I ate it a lot as it was fast and cheap. Trivia is fun. Braille is so important for those with impaired sight.

Sadly true quote by Einstein.

I'll pass on the meal and drink. The wine sounds good.

I've been to San Diego, although not on a ship. My pictures are pre-digital era.

I'm feeling pretty good today. I was looking online for my test results, and saw the specimen only arrived at the lab at 6AM today, even though it was taken on the 2nd. It's sunny and cold here today. We're expecting some snow Thursday night. I take BFF on Thursday to have his eye skin graft opened. We should be ok. But my dental appointment regarding the crown is Friday morning very early. I'm hoping there's not much accumulation, although the office is close to me. So sad to see those people who were stuck on I-95 yesterday! I have water and a blanket, but need to stick some granola bars in the trunk, just in case.

@kazu Prayers for Jose, his medical team and you. 

@aliaschief Safe travels. Sorry you had to cancel your trip, but it was necessary. I hope they can get answers for DW's twin's afib.

@cat shepard I'm glad your knee behaved during Zumba. 

@mamaofami I hope you get your furnace all fixed up.

@StLouisCruisers Happy Birthday to Ashley! 

@smitty34877 Continued prayers for Tana. At least she's not feeling worse.

@marshhawk Prayers for you. Are they thinking Cushing's, which causes too much cortisol? Many adrenal tumors are benign. Sorry to hear about the work situation, too.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

A couple of old facts about San Diego.  My first ship, USS Pine Island (AV-12), a seaplane tender was stationed there.  We tied up at North Island, which had a Naval Air Station.  We took a ferry we called the "Nickel Snatcher" from North Island to San Diego.  Not sure, but I think the fare had gone up to a dime in 1959.  As a single sailor, I don't remember much about the city, but there was a nice bar called the "Tumble In" on 5th street that the people I worked with frequented.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon.  I finally had a chance to download the pictures from our 11/14-12/12 cruise, and thought I'd add a few San Diego pictures.  All were taken from the Koningsdam either while we were in port, at the sailaway parties or as we sailed down the channel between North Island and the submarine base on the way to Point Loma.

Pictures of the harbor while we were waiting for the new passengers to board.

DSC09351.thumb.JPG.cda7171ddd372c98a9108273e5709d14.JPG

DSC09352.thumb.JPG.c3797ce625cc0e438f9b666c36ee2a92.JPG

DSC09593.thumb.JPG.77e72c1e7f05a92459e9a82f06a3e390.JPG

San Diego skyline as we left the B Street Pier.

DSC09446.thumb.JPG.ad4e9f7a8bdfb3b144df9e36a18da1a0.JPG

North Island

DSC09361.thumb.JPG.f6a56146d6b112d2adf61afe1ca98c2d.JPG

When we sailed on 11/28, it was a sunny day looking toward the San Diego skyline, and the skyline picture above was taken that day.  As we turned to pass between North Island and the bluff leading to Point Loma, a fog bank moved in, then it was clear before we reached the point.  I've never seen anything like it when we've sailed out of San Diego.  

The ferry dock between the area around the sub base and either North Island or downtown.  The leading edge of the fog bank was approaching the area.

DSC09450.thumb.JPG.05f0f733403882448eb79aa85f861427.JPG

The fog bank. We could not see the area where the drydock used to work on submarines was.

DSC09451.thumb.JPG.e3396907e5a70833c822057efca78560.JPG

The backside of the fog bank.  This is the area where I think the submarine in @StLouisCruisersSandi's picture was docked, but at a different angle.

DSC09452.thumb.JPG.220435cb4588d177fcf2e460d43c7bcf.JPG

This last picture is Point Loma and the sunset as we sailed into the Pacific on 11/14.  As you can see, we had an obstructed balcony, and it was almost impossible to take a picture without part of the lifeboat included.

DSC09307.thumb.JPG.7cfa73799b4cf968e43eb62268a3df13.JPG

Lenda

• Like 21
  • Thanks 4

Thank you all for the well wishes.  I had the CT the Friday before thanksgiving, and the results came back to the doc on January 3rd,  Wow.  And thank heavens that she did find out where the tumor was.  You would think that the primary doc would know that the "spot" wasn't on a lung, but again, he was the doc that told me that since I lied to get into his office with a cough that had been going on for 8 months he wouldn't do anything to help me, maybe it's time I just change primary physicians.

The day got more interesting, I clocked in at 3, and at 4 found out that the campaign I was working on, had ended, and we were all to sign off at 5 EST today. ( I was forewarned yesterday that this may happen).  So, I am down to 20 hours a week. The sad part, less money in my bank account.  The good part, more walking in the woods, which is good for my health- both physical and mental.

DH got a call from the boss, that while he is looking for places to place staff after so many Art facilities decided against sales during Covid, that he could work 10 hours this week.  That will drag out a pay check, not a large one, but at least a pay check for the 15th for him.  Trust me, I would rather be selling seats to an art form, than gathering political donations.  But that  may happen.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

he was the doc that told me that since I lied to get into his office with a cough that had been going on for 8 months he wouldn't do anything to help me, maybe it's time I just change primary physicians.

There would be no “maybe” for me…once changed pcp after she actually YELLED at DH for drinking alcohol 😱

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

@Quartzsite CruiserLenda, even with the lifeboat in view that is a beautiful sunset.  Thanks for your photos.

@marshhawkI agree, time to find a new primary physician.  

Sandi, thanks.  We were treated to quite a few beautiful sunsets 🌇 over the four weeks we were on Kdam.  I may share some others on a slow day -- if that ever happens. 😉

I also agree that it's time for @marshhawk to find a new pcp, and the sooner the better.

Lenda

• Like 11

6 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

I'm off for x-rays tomorrow to see if I need a new hip.  I went to the doctor last week, hopefully to get a few hints as to how to eke out the one I have, but he thinks I need a new one.  I'm just hoping the x-rays prove I can continue as is.

My prayers are winging your way, Ann 🙏🏻 

1 hour ago, marshhawk said:

maybe it's time I just change primary physicians.

Maybe?  There’s no maybe as far as I concerned.  Assuming physicians are available, I’d be changing so fast your head would spin.

Sorry to hear about the cutbacks in hours and pay 😔.   Hopefully that is a short term problem 🤞 

• Like 15

Not a complaint just an observation. Some days it feels like we are in Urgent Care waiting room in here. As we all age waiting rooms and medical appointments, ailments are more the norm. Today I had my new tooth implant completed. Last Christmas a gift of delicious toffee abruptly removed a crown an all. One year later I have a tooth back.

During the lengthy procedures they asked me if I had a problem with a cadaver bone implant. I stated “along as it doesn’t come from a politician and that I would prefer a member of Mensa Club!”

Hopefully and with 🙏’s  this trend will decline in 2022. Hard to beat Father Time but let’s stay healthy this year.

Looking forward with positive vibes and sharing here on the Daily! Stay healthy my friends!😷

Bruce aka Chief😎

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 22

Thanks for all the daily reports.  We flew to San Diego to board the Statendam for a 28 day Panama Canal Cruise to Fort Lauderdale, and return to SD   When we checked in at San Diego airport for our flight to San Francisco to board the Air NZ Flight back to Auckland,  had to ask three times to have my passport returned to me, the girl kept looking at it in her hand, maybe she had not previously seen a non US passport.  Strange.

@smitty34877 hope that the nurse is able to help Tana.

@marshhawksorry to hear of your health problems, hope you will change your doctor.

@StLouisCruisersHappy Birthday to your DGD.

@Vict0rianngood luck with the X-rays.

Had a very hot sunny morning, we went to town, had lunch, grey clouds set in during the journey uphill, heavy rain 20 minutes later.  Now foggy, can't see the Pacific Ocean.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, marshhawk said:

You would think that the primary doc would know that the "spot" wasn't on a lung, but again, he was the doc that told me that since I lied to get into his office with a cough that had been going on for 8 months he wouldn't do anything to help me, maybe it's time I just change primary physicians.

Definitely.

If you took a car to your mechanic, and he told you he doesn’t work on that make of vehicle, you have no choice but to find one who does.

If you have an ongoing cough, and your primary physician says he won’t help you with it, you have no choice but to find one who will.

• Like 8