Traveling with allergies

msteries

I live in a part of Ohio that is despairingly called sinus valley.  And now we sufferers don’t really get a respite during the winter months!  One of the joys of cruising has been that after a day or two in the sea air, most of my problems disappear, although I am wondering about how I will react to all the cleaning products necessary during covid.  Have any fellow sufferers cruised recently?  How did things go?  If I do sail on the 29th I can’t help but wonder how people will react to someone who starts sneezing!  My game plan is to mask in the corridors, spend most of my time outdoors on the retreat deck or on my balcony, but of course I don’t want to miss eating in Luminae.  Guess my martini treats will be drunk during the off-hours when the bar is mostly empty.  Anyone know offhand the hours for the martini bar on Apex?

I keep waffling about doing the cruise, mainly because of airports and a one day prestay in covid-saturated FtL.  Since onboard percentages seem to be in the 1-2% range, I am willing to risk the ship.

7 minutes ago, msteries said:

Anyone know offhand the hours for the martini bar on Apex?

I keep waffling about doing the cruise, mainly because of airports and a one day prestay in covid-saturated FtL.  Since onboard percentages seem to be in the 1-2% range, I am willing to risk the ship.

I live in "Covid-saturated" Floriduh. 

My husband and I and like minded friends have not been infected by a Covid infection. That is because we take all the "unnecessary" precautions of being vaccinated, boosted , wearing masks and socially distancing. 

I have to say it is extremely aggravating to still be living like this because of the local idiot residents and the fools that visit as tourists.

My advice is that when you hit the ground in Florida for that one day prestay , that you take all the precautions I have listed.  In addition avoid eating in restaurants (either eat outside or buy take out) and wear a mask when outside around others.

That way you should be able to avoid picking up an infection that will show  up at some point during the cruise.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

I live in "Covid-saturated" Floriduh. 

My husband and I and like minded friends have not been infected by a Covid infection. That is because we take all the "unnecessary" precautions of being vaccinated, boosted , wearing masks and socially distancing. 

I have to say it is extremely aggravating to still be living like this because of the local idiot residents and the fools that visit as tourists.

My advice is that when you hit the ground in Florida for that one day prestay , that you take all the precautions I have listed.  In addition avoid eating in restaurants (either eat outside or buy take out) and wear a mask when outside around others.

That way you should be able to avoid picking up an infection that will show  up at some point during the cruise.

Thanks, Homosassa!  Here in Ohio I cannot eat outside anymore, but I already follow your suggestions.  Our numbers are bad, so I only venture out for groceries.

I was just on Princess in December and had a number of serious sneezing fits even with taking my allergy pills.  I really was self conscious about people thinking I had Covid and would "report me".  I just tried to be very discreet about them and isolate myself during an "episode". 

I know my body and when they are allergy attacks and they usually subsided.  I had home test kits if I seriously thought it was Covid and would have gone to medical if I suspected as well. 

I have seen comments on these boards about people being very judgmental about passengers claiming "allergies" and that's why it's spreading so fast now.  But you know your body and if it is allergies.  No one ever said anything about it to me but I was expecting people to.  Just try and be discreet.  I didn't go the extremes that you are proposing but if I had an attack at the bar, i would just excuse myself until it was over or call it a night.  No need to go "off hours".  But not sure how bad yours are. 

Edited by Sox Fan Cruiser
  • Like 1

I have allergies also.  For the past few years I have had to take my own pillowcase because whatever they launder the bedding with bothers me.  I just lay my pillowcase over the pillow and I am fine.  If I don't do that I end up with red itchy swollen eyes.  Very strange but true.

I have some rather spectacular seasonal allergies.  However, even better than that, I have a strong allergy to an ingredient that's in a lot of fragrances, and that always gives me a lot more trouble than the seasonal ones ever do (especially on a formal-type night when everyone seems to want to hose themselves down with powerful perfumes and colognes). 

I have been on three cruises since the restart, though, and I'm happy to report that cleaning products have not been an issue.  I may have walked more briskly through the hall a time or two, but the fact that I cannot recall any particular incident means that it was no big deal or anything persistent.  I don't know for certain, but I believe any increased cleaning is done with bleach-based products, and I don't think they are doing much in the way of fogging except between cruises and when someone has tested positive.

I'll qualify all the above by saying that I take a loratidine (generic Claritin) every morning while on a cruise, and I always take a shot up each nostril of budenoside (Rhinocort).  Both of those help quite a bit!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This has been a really bad year for allergies but I have to say that the ship (Millennium) was a great improvement for air quality over prior years probably due to the Hepa filters & more fresh air coming in to the ship.  My biggest problem on the cruise was if someone got on the elevator dripping in perfume but my mask helped that as I had a n95 filter inside my cloth mask.  You will be fine & you are right the Caribbean has always been great as no pollens at sea.  Enjoy your cruise & the martini bar.

Edited by If only
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, msteries said:

Thanks, Homosassa!  Here in Ohio I cannot eat outside anymore, but I already follow your suggestions.  Our numbers are bad, so I only venture out for groceries.

You are welcome.

I volunteer at a local state park here in Homosassa.

I am outside talking to people. I wear a mask (KN95) as do other volunteers and the rangers.

There are just too many people who think that Covid stops at Florida's border and that absolutely no precautions are needed when visiting the state.

msteries, I too am a frequent sneezer….I am particularly a frequent sneezer when cruising. Usually fine during the day but come the evening…

After years of cruising analysis it seems to be certain red wines that are the culprit.  Shiraz the biggest culprit! Fine on cocktails and white wine!

We cruised on Silhouette in September and the ship really was spotless and being constantly cleaned. No issues at all with any chemicals. 

Monitor when you get your sneezing ‘bouts’ and see (if like me) you can spot a culprit!

I've undergone extensive allergy testing, and one of the several substances my allergist identified as a problem for me is cinnamic aldehyde.  Not only is this substance in perfumes, many laundry detergents and so forth, it is also in a number of cleaning products as it masks the harsh chemical smells.  I've reacted to periodically on ships when they are undergoing heavy cleaning protocols for norovirus.  When we spent two weeks in September on the Millennium it was clear that they were under the heavy cleaning protocols as stair railings and so forth had that film on them.  But I didn't react unduly.  No more sniffles than is normal for me.  I use over the counter Xyzal and periodically a Flonaise Sensimist (fluticasone furoate) nasal spray when needed (only in one nostril).

• Like 1

I have seasonal allegories and I am allergic to mold and mildew.  So guess what is probably around me on every cruise ship? I used to wake up day 2 totally sneezing and congested.  It only took me two cruises to find  a way to deal with this…

My protocol:  Every day of the cruise I take one 24 hour Allegra in the morning, even though I don’t think it’s the strongest antihistamine.  Then at bedtime,  I take 2 Benadryls, they help with sleep and knock back any allergies, and I also use over the counter Flonase at bedtime, one blast in each nostril.

I am not a doctor, but my allergist helped me come up with this. I have found this works great for me.  Good luck to you!

Interesting to read about all your strategies and meds.  It is so stressful for everyone that Omicron symptoms are so similar to head colds, allergy symptoms, etc.  So I plan to be very observant of those around me if I do start sneezing!  And not blame them for any reaction.

Beginning to think I will cancel.  I just could not spend isolation in an interior room.  Since I am boosted, I am not so frightened of becoming terribly ill, but the thought of coping by myself while unable to get out and enjoy the sea breezes and scenery make me regret the splurge on an Apex sky suite. (for my 75!). I can wait til the 25th to cancel…. hope springs eternal and all that, but maybe not this time.

On 1/5/2022 at 11:23 AM, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

I was just on Princess in December and had a number of serious sneezing fits even with taking my allergy pills.  I really was self conscious about people thinking I had Covid and would "report me".  I just tried to be very discreet about them and isolate myself during an "episode". 

I know my body and when they are allergy attacks and they usually subsided.  I had home test kits if I seriously thought it was Covid and would have gone to medical if I suspected as well. 

I have seen comments on these boards about people being very judgmental about passengers claiming "allergies" and that's why it's spreading so fast now.  But you know your body and if it is allergies.  No one ever said anything about it to me but I was expecting people to.  Just try and be discreet.  I didn't go the extremes that you are proposing but if I had an attack at the bar, i would just excuse myself until it was over or call it a night.  No need to go "off hours".  But not sure how bad yours are. 

I take allergy pills every day, Claritin and Flonase.  I don't know what I'm allergic to, maybe mold, maybe grass.  I hope it's not alcohol.  Besides sneezing, I sometimes get a retching fit in the morning (not vomiting).  I don't know if it's from acid reflux or from a specific medicine I take.  They both can cause it.  It's usually over in 5 minutes.

Can I point out something / ask a question @Sox Fan Cruiser?  You say people on the boards are judgmental, but no one on board asked about your allergies.  So I guess  you shouldn't worry what people on the boards say?

16 minutes ago, msteries said:

Interesting to read about all your strategies and meds.  It is so stressful for everyone that Omicron symptoms are so similar to head colds, allergy symptoms, etc.  So I plan to be very observant of those around me if I do start sneezing!  And not blame them for any reaction.

Beginning to think I will cancel.  I just could not spend isolation in an interior room.  Since I am boosted, I am not so frightened of becoming terribly ill, but the thought of coping by myself while unable to get out and enjoy the sea breezes and scenery make me regret the splurge on an Apex sky suite. (for my 75!). I can wait til the 25th to cancel…. hope springs eternal and all that, but maybe not this time.

OK it's smart to be careful but life is full of risk.  You could get covid on a cruise but also, a thousand things could happen to you when you wake up tomorrow morning.

I'm not an active cruiser but I have one scheduled in October after seeing two cruises canceled.  I'm holding my breath but I really hope the stars line up and we go on this next cruise.

• Like 1

Another serious allergy sufferer here. I live in North Florida and this time of year, all the pine trees are pollinating. According to a local news channel, it is unusually bad this year. I can attest to that.

I take generic Singular at night and a Claritin in the morning. I still can have sneezing fits that last for several minutes. I also sound raspy and have to clear my throat a lot for about the first 30-45 minutes after I get  up. On my last cruise, Edge in October, I just planned on staying in my cabin for about an hour each morning. By that time, any sneezing had passed and the raspy voice had cleared up. 

Edited by Straughn

I’m a life long allergy and sinus sufferer. Normally have daily symptoms, especially in the morning. The 7 days I spent on the Apex a month ago were symptom free.  No sneezing or runny nose. I think the extra good filtration system combined with the sea air did the trick for me. Great reason to take more cruises!!!

I have constant random runny noses and coughing and have for years. It gets worse sleeping on ny right side. Docs think it could be assoc with deviated septum. Who knows? But I really get bad when wearing masks. Having to blow your nose, mask off/on all the time, gets some attention! Claritin helps but not completely.

Sorry to hear so many others have rather similar issues. 

This will be interesting for me if we keep our cruise in February. With the omicron symptoms, I have no clue how I will know. I take 5 allergy meds, 2 sprays a decongestant, and an antihistamine regularly. The 5th is Sudafed as needed. So for me the random cough due to drainage happens along with a tickle in the throat many mornings when I wake up. Thankfully no sneezing fits. 

I will just try to not cough around anyone on the cruise. But back to the how will we severe allergy sufferers know if we have omicron or not? As far as cruising has gone, getting away from land does seem to help my nose some.

22 hours ago, zitsky said:

I take allergy pills every day, Claritin and Flonase.  I don't know what I'm allergic to, maybe mold, maybe grass.  I hope it's not alcohol.  Besides sneezing, I sometimes get a retching fit in the morning (not vomiting).  I don't know if it's from acid reflux or from a specific medicine I take.  They both can cause it.  It's usually over in 5 minutes.

Can I point out something / ask a question @Sox Fan Cruiser?  You say people on the boards are judgmental, but no one on board asked about your allergies.  So I guess  you shouldn't worry what people on the boards say?

The retching fit is likely caused due to sinus drainage. When mine has been really bad there are mornings where it gets so bad I actually puke it up. Gross, but many allergy sufferers have probably been there too.