Questions related to all things Covid testing relating to Princess Cruises

Host CJSKIDS

6 hours ago, Mike & Zen said:

Which cruise ship are you booked in for Alaska/BC?  If its out of Seattle, you have the answers already.  Using the easy ArriveCAN app takes a few minutes of your time to get an account, upload passport and proof of vaccination, and fill in the other data when your cruise date is near.  That's it!  Kind of like when Hawaii had their app to fill in, maybe not, I heard of issues.   I see your from Minnesota.  Hockey!  If you are having any issues with ArriveCAN, we are all here to help each other...and try to bring down your PIA factor and soften you up, maybe a bit, eh?😊

How about a more practical protocol like show proof of vaccination or a negative test, but not both. That was the fist step most major venues took, although now most have dropped all protocols.

9 hours ago, memoak said:

However where would the 7 day cruises sail from ?  Seattle does not have the capacity that Vancouver does

That law would not prevent cruise lines from sailing from Canada.  It simply would give them the option to not have to comply with the ridiculous Canadian protocols if they sailed from Seattle.  They would probably do both and then their customers would have more choices, depending on what they were comfortable with.

On 4/16/2022 at 7:21 PM, Munsterguy said:

Hi Barbara, 

As far as I am aware , you can only book dining through the Medallion App, you can get tested on the pier on day of departure but you must book from 10 days in advance of departure , Princess is charging $100 per Antigen test . I would prefer to get tested 2 days before departure , leaning towards the Fairmount Hotel , $125CAD, pricey I know but my wife will now not have to test as she has last week tested positive using PCR testing , she will shortly receive a goverment issued certificate detailing this which will exempt her from testing before boarding . 
Hope this helps ! 

Thank you Munsterguy!

On 4/17/2022 at 10:33 PM, JF - retired RRT said:

This is the wrong thread for Medallion help, however: You don't have to use the Medallion for anything prior to boarding. It just makes it "easier" to get ready for the cruise...if it works for you. YMMV

You can fill out some things online with the web-based app (again - if it works for you).

Dining can only (currently) be arranged on the app or wait until you're on the ship.

See "Ocean Medallion App - part 3" for more info.

Thank you JF!

We are from Australia and will be cruising on the Majestic in September.  We will be visiting family in the US prior to the cruise and will arrive in San Pedro (or LAX) several days prior to the cruise.  I have read that some of you were getting tested at CVS so I went to see about that around San Pedro, which is where our cruise will be departing.  Since we are in Australia, I could not view the site as it says only for US.  My question is how far in advance can you book the test?  

3 hours ago, highloyo said:

The sign means you can’t walk up to the window but must be in a vehicle. Having looked for testing only at the CVS’ in my area, they all indicate that you need to make an appointment and the testing is administered in the drive-thru lane. 

on the website for that location it says ‘vehicle recommended’ so maybe we’ll be okay. I’ll have to figure out how to order an Uber for an extended drive if not, and hopefully the testing is quick and easy! 

17 hours ago, Mike & Zen said:

Ah yes, and that is where people have fallen into the Government of Canada website not up to date.

If you read the complete long boring part, I mention that there is a site that is 50% right and wrong, that is the site.  The two day part for antigen test was updated; however, the verbiage that says, "... or board a cruise ship that will dock in Canada at any point on the cruise" is the incorrect and outdated part.  In fact, during the first week of April when the changes came into effect I sent a note to that site to update from 1 day to 2 days for the antigen test, which they did on April 11, 2022, but I missed the outdated part quoted above.  I did send another note to correct that part over the long weekend, but will see if they update it.  But don't hold your breath as their focus is the ArriveCAN online and app.

You can ignore that part that is outdated. 

Canada has updated it's cruise restrictions as of April 20. But the part you say is outdated is STILL IN THERE. It still has the 72 hour rule for PCR tests if you are going on a ship that will dock in Canada at any point. I don't understand why this still hasn't been removed. Are you sure it is not applicable anymore? We need the 3 day rule (which is more than 72 hours ) to get the PCR test because of the time change between Alaska and eastern daylight time. 

Edited by erber
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Mike & Zen said:

I deleted the traveler's info from the on line version arrivecan and set up the App on my phone.  Have two new travelers added with the passports scanned and vaccine card uploaded.  Thanks for the help.  It was sure easy.  Now just waiting to add the remaining info before our cruise this summer.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2022 at 9:52 AM, Mike & Zen said:

The ArriveCAN for sure as it is used everyday when someone enters the Canadian border, and I have called the ArriveCAN help toll free number to clarify some issues.  Just make sure you asked the question correctly, lol.

In addition, I subscribe for free, to get Transport Canada updates as they change the bulletins such as the one No. 18/2021 for cruising, updated April 1, 2022.  Here is the link to sign up, in yellow on the right

https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-transportation/marine-safety/ship-safety-bulletins

Thanks for all the useful information you have provided. I am still confused by the  ArrivCan required "quarantine plan" that even the fully vaccinated have to provide. For passengers planning to fly home after arrival in Vancouver, what "plan" do you provide in the event you must quarantine? Does Princess provide a hotel to list as place of quarantine?

15 hours ago, amby6063 said:

on the website for that location it says ‘vehicle recommended’ so maybe we’ll be okay. I’ll have to figure out how to order an Uber for an extended drive if not, and hopefully the testing is quick and easy! 

Yup, the available testing options are not going to be around for much longer.  Testing everyone is not going to be sustainable.

3 hours ago, wendellman said:

Thanks for all the useful information you have provided. I am still confused by the  ArrivCan required "quarantine plan" that even the fully vaccinated have to provide. For passengers planning to fly home after arrival in Vancouver, what "plan" do you provide in the event you must quarantine? Does Princess provide a hotel to list as place of quarantine?

I just plan to say Princess. Cruises Hotel

4 hours ago, wendellman said:

I'm just putting "hotel" for the answer. Canada has said that Princess is responsible for your accommodations if you test positive. They are supposed to put you up in a hotel at their expense and provide $100 per day each for food expenses.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, erber said:

Canada has updated it's cruise restrictions as of April 20. But the part you say is outdated is STILL IN THERE. It still has the 72 hour rule for PCR tests if you are going on a ship that will dock in Canada at any point. I don't understand why this still hasn't been removed. Are you sure it is not applicable anymore? We need the 3 day rule (which is more than 72 hours ) to get the PCR test because of the time change between Alaska and eastern daylight time. 

Not to worry.  You do not need a pre-entry test to enter Canada by air, land (rail), or water (marine vessel) effective 1 April, 2022. Nothing has changed.  Regardless of the updated date that portion is still incorrect.  If it had changed, there would have been major news announcements here in Canada!  And ArriveCAN would have been updated, too, immediately!  It has not.

In your ArriveCAN app, do a “dummy” entry with the limited dates of four or five days for departure, then continue on with select travellers for this trip, then in the next section, the app will state the COVID-19 testing requirements. It will say, …fully vaccinated…are no longer required to produce proof of a COVID-19 test result their arrival at a land or marine port of entry.

Then in the next bullet it states the requirements for all other individuals, which means those NOT fully vaccinated like (medical, religious, etc, the people with limited exemptions) to have a COVID test result, etc.

I believe you are Fully Vaccinated and do not have a limited exemption, correct?

Then do a dummy booking with the air as above, and you’ll see no longer required….before boarding a flight.

As I previously mentioned, 99% of the Gov of Canada websites with respect to travel have not been fully updated.  ArriveCAN must be kept updated as thousands of travellers enter Canada every day.

Unless you have an exemption, you do not need a pre-entry test to enter Canada since 1 April.

If you recall, I said most of the Gov of Canada websites will keep the pre 1 April 2022 old requirements, when pre-entry tests were still required, in the webpage, and at the top or near the top state as follows:

“Starting April 1, 2022, pre-entry tests are no longer required for fully vaccinated travellers entering Canada by land, air, or water.  You must still use ArriveCAN …”

It’s a quick but poor way to convey a major change to the entry requirements, in my opinion, because everything below it are the old pre-entry requirements and people will/can miss the notice of the new requirements at the top!

Here, I’ll show you the most perfect example of what I just stated in a link dated 12 April, 2022.

You’ll see near the top the no pre-entry tests required as April 1, 2022. Then directly below you will read the old requirements, pre 1 April, when pre-entry testing was required with the old no more than 1 day for negative antigen test, etc. 

Here is the example with the old requirements dated April 12, 2022.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/flying-canada-checklist/covid-19-testing-travellers-coming-into-canada

After going through all the above for you, better yet, you can call the ArriveCAN toll free number, as I have done numerous times, and ask the question, “Do I need a pre-entry COVID test to enter Canada by air, land, or water (marine vessel)/cruise ship?

And don’t forget, all is subject to change!

ArriveCAN toll free from Canada or the US:  1-833-283-7403

15 hours ago, coo359a2 said:

I deleted the traveler's info from the on line version arrivecan and set up the App on my phone.  Have two new travelers added with the passports scanned and vaccine card uploaded.  Thanks for the help.  It was sure easy.  Now just waiting to add the remaining info before our cruise this summer.

Fantastic, too easy, eh

8 hours ago, wendellman said:

Yes, questions about your quarantine plan will be asked when you are ready to submit to ArriveCAN a few days before embarking in your ship.  However, you can get your ArriveCAN account set up now and scan your passports and proof of vaccination.

You can do what I have done and played around with the app.  I would put in information for a dummy submission using the limited 4 day or so for embarkation place, date and time, etc, and go through to the quarantine plan area, answer the questions, and you said you are disembarking and flying home from Vancouver, so in the area for the destination type, choose hotel... enter address, etc, of a hotel in Vancouver.  Go online to find one.  ArriveCAN just needs an address to complete your submission, so any hotel will do. (Note:  the submission would be different if Vancouver is a port of call).

Yes, if you test positive, and you haven't completed your required isolation time or what ever the ship/Princess does in accordance with Canada's isolation/quarantine requirements, Princess will pay for hotel, meals, transportation, etc.  Princess has contracted with hotels, and I have read on CC that some people have chosen their own hotel.  Normally, you pay for the above and then you submit your your costs to Princess for re-imbursement.

From the Princess FAQs:

Princess will cover change fees and reasonable expenses related to shoreside quarantine and travel home for you and your immediate travel party if not reimbursable from a travel protection plan or other responsible party.

Additionally, any shoreside meals will be covered by Princess with a per diem meal allowance (receipts are not required). We will provide a dedicated Family Assistance liaison for care and logistical shoreside support and offer assistance opening insurance claims for those guests who purchased travel protection.

If you are unable to travel, our Family Assistance department will coordinate lodging and insurance support.

And in Transport Canada Ship Safety Bulletin No. 18/21 (Modified 1 April 2022) it states in part

The isolation requirements outlined above are required for isolation on board the vessel, as well as any isolation periods on shore, outlined under the Public Health Agency of Canada's (PHAC) Minimizing the Risk of Exposure to COVID-19 in Canada Order (Quarantine, Isolation and Other Obligations) (PHAC Order).

Under PHAC's order at the end of a voyage with final disembarkation in Canada, persons who are disembarking the vessel and who have not yet completed their 10 day isolation period may complete their isolation period on shore as long as they have remained in a suitable place of isolation on board since their diagnosis.

For persons who do not have a suitable isolation or quarantine plan, Authorized Representatives are responsible under Interim Order No. 3 for covering costs associated with the isolation or quarantine of persons on shore who are disembarking the vessel during their isolation or quarantine periods. Authorized Representatives are reminded that under the PHAC Order they are responsible for organizing a suitable isolation or quarantine place for persons who do not have suitable plans, as well as arranging for daily meals, and in the case of isolation, private transportation to the isolation location on shore. Quarantining and isolation measures apply to cruise ships of any size and is not limited to those with over 100 passengers.

The Authorized Representative and travellers should be aware of additional responsibilities, as they relate to isolation measures, as outlined in Orders made pursuant to the Quarantine Act.

Here's the link to the above.  I may suggest to read in full:

https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-transportation/marine-safety/ship-safety-bulletins/measures-support-safe-cruise-travel-canada-ssb-no-18-2021-modified-april-1-2022

Hope this helps.

Has anyone noticed in the 21 April 2022 updated Princess Health Protocols it states the following for cruises embarking in the US,  PCR/antigen test taken within two days...

COVID-19 Testing Requirements

Sailings from the United States2: We will also require ALL fully vaccinated guests to produce a negative, medically-observed COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken within two days of their embarkation on all Princess sailings. You'll be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test upon arrival in the terminal to board.

But in the FAQs, the testing requirements haven't changed.  It still says PCR within 3 days, and antigen within 2 days for fully vaccinated. 

Left hand, Right hand?

What a rollercoaster....thanks for the detailed responses on testing requirements, arriveCan app instructions, etc. You are so helpful! I 2ish the authorities and a princess would just get their act together and have consistent requirements so there is no uncertainty as to testing requirements.

We are vaccinated and boosted and are going with the 3 day rule for testing requirements at this point but will order through Optum or Emed as a back up just in case. 

Looks like the cruise with confidence has changed. 

It use to say princess would arrange and provide transportation to the hotel. This was a requirement. Here is what is now says. Basically it sounds like your on your own.

• A letter will be provided at the pier or by our shipboard team prior to disembarkation. If isolation is required at the end port of the cruise, the ship Guest Services team will provide guests a list of hotels and internet access so impacted guests can make their own hotel arrangements. If denied boarding, shoreside staff will provide the list to guests for them to make their own hotel arrangements, instructions for requesting reimbursement of eligible expenses and contact information for assistance with onward flight arrangements.

3 minutes ago, RECPILOT said:

Looks like the cruise with confidence has changed. 

It use to say princess would arrange and provide transportation to the hotel. This was a requirement. Here is what is now says. Basically it sounds like your on your own.

• A letter will be provided at the pier or by our shipboard team prior to disembarkation. If isolation is required at the end port of the cruise, the ship Guest Services team will provide guests a list of hotels and internet access so impacted guests can make their own hotel arrangements. If denied boarding, shoreside staff will provide the list to guests for them to make their own hotel arrangements, instructions for requesting reimbursement of eligible expenses and contact information for assistance with onward flight arrangements.
  1. Can I book my own hotel if I am required to quarantine post-disembarkation before returning home?
    It will depend on local requirements. In general, guests are provided a list of hotel options to make their own their own accommodations and submit for reimbursement to their travel insurance. Reasonable expenses declined by insurance will be eligible for reimbursement. Expenses incurred after you are cleared for onward travel shall be the guests’ responsibility for optional extensions.

5 hours ago, Mike & Zen said:

Yes, questions about your quarantine plan will be asked when you are ready to submit to ArriveCAN a few days before embarking in your ship.  However, you can get your ArriveCAN account set up now and scan your passports and proof of vaccination.

You can do what I have done and played around with the app.  I would put in information for a dummy submission using the limited 4 day or so for embarkation place, date and time, etc, and go through to the quarantine plan area, answer the questions, and you said you are disembarking and flying home from Vancouver, so in the area for the destination type, choose hotel... enter address, etc, of a hotel in Vancouver.  Go online to find one.  ArriveCAN just needs an address to complete your submission, so any hotel will do. (Note:  the submission would be different if Vancouver is a port of call).

Yes, if you test positive, and you haven't completed your required isolation time or what ever the ship/Princess does in accordance with Canada's isolation/quarantine requirements, Princess will pay for hotel, meals, transportation, etc.  Princess has contracted with hotels, and I have read on CC that some people have chosen their own hotel.  Normally, you pay for the above and then you submit your your costs to Princess for re-imbursement.

From the Princess FAQs:

Princess will cover change fees and reasonable expenses related to shoreside quarantine and travel home for you and your immediate travel party if not reimbursable from a travel protection plan or other responsible party.

Additionally, any shoreside meals will be covered by Princess with a per diem meal allowance (receipts are not required). We will provide a dedicated Family Assistance liaison for care and logistical shoreside support and offer assistance opening insurance claims for those guests who purchased travel protection.

If you are unable to travel, our Family Assistance department will coordinate lodging and insurance support.

And in Transport Canada Ship Safety Bulletin No. 18/21 (Modified 1 April 2022) it states in part

The isolation requirements outlined above are required for isolation on board the vessel, as well as any isolation periods on shore, outlined under the Public Health Agency of Canada's (PHAC) Minimizing the Risk of Exposure to COVID-19 in Canada Order (Quarantine, Isolation and Other Obligations) (PHAC Order).

Under PHAC's order at the end of a voyage with final disembarkation in Canada, persons who are disembarking the vessel and who have not yet completed their 10 day isolation period may complete their isolation period on shore as long as they have remained in a suitable place of isolation on board since their diagnosis.

For persons who do not have a suitable isolation or quarantine plan, Authorized Representatives are responsible under Interim Order No. 3 for covering costs associated with the isolation or quarantine of persons on shore who are disembarking the vessel during their isolation or quarantine periods. Authorized Representatives are reminded that under the PHAC Order they are responsible for organizing a suitable isolation or quarantine place for persons who do not have suitable plans, as well as arranging for daily meals, and in the case of isolation, private transportation to the isolation location on shore. Quarantining and isolation measures apply to cruise ships of any size and is not limited to those with over 100 passengers.

The Authorized Representative and travellers should be aware of additional responsibilities, as they relate to isolation measures, as outlined in Orders made pursuant to the Quarantine Act.

Here's the link to the above.  I may suggest to read in full:

https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-transportation/marine-safety/ship-safety-bulletins/measures-support-safe-cruise-travel-canada-ssb-no-18-2021-modified-april-1-2022

Hope this helps.

Thanks, it does help! We will be on the Majestic Princess repositioning from LA to Vancouver. We will stop in Victoria on 5/6 before arriving in Vancouver on 5/7. We had planned on a return fight from YVR but I changed it to SEA because I did not want to risk possible quarantine in Vancouver. We are renting a car and driving to Seattle. Expensive, but safer than riding in a van transfer. Since we stop in Victoria do we have to modify our ArrivCan submission?

5 hours ago, Mike & Zen said:

Has anyone noticed in the 21 April 2022 updated Princess Health Protocols it states the following for cruises embarking in the US,  PCR/antigen test taken within two days...

COVID-19 Testing Requirements

Sailings from the United States2: We will also require ALL fully vaccinated guests to produce a negative, medically-observed COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken within two days of their embarkation on all Princess sailings. You'll be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test upon arrival in the terminal to board.

But in the FAQs, the testing requirements haven't changed.  It still says PCR within 3 days, and antigen within 2 days for fully vaccinated. 

Left hand, Right hand?

Made an appt to return to StatMed. I would've done it yesterday if I knew. Boarding tomorrow 

On 4/21/2022 at 6:05 AM, erber said:

Carnival just announced that any ship that makes a stop in Canada will now require all passengers who have an antigen test to have it done no more than two days prior to sailing. 

3 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Screenshot_20220422-061657_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b1bb269cd2691aebd634edd6a66fa308.jpg

Up to date with 2 boosters. Do I grab that 9:07 testing slot this morning?? Boarding tomorrow 

Oh, and chat is unaware of contradicting website info on Princess.com 

You are within 1 day of boarding so any time today as long as you will have the results back on time.