Questions related to all things Covid testing relating to Princess Cruises

Host CJSKIDS

40 minutes ago, tutumomickey said:

Supaflyrobbie I hope you are still following and can enlighten me. I have been trying to get a first hand account from someone travelling with a child under 5 but, have yet to get a response. How long was the wait at the terminal for your child's on site test? Was it truly 'complimentary'? My daughter is afraid we will waiting hours before my granddaughters are tested and allowed to board. Looking forward to your review. Hope it includes excursions and maybe how they verified your child had been on a Princess excursions in port. We have all Princess excursions booked but want to know if we could maybe shop a bit in port before reboarding. If you can answer any of this, thanks for your time.

We got her tested pre cruise, though it was a bit more difficult for her than it was my wife and I. She actually turned 3 on the second to last day of the cruise. None of the drive thru places would test anyone that young, and both CVS and Walgreens were a no go for anyone under 3 also. We ended up having to go through a place called Quest Diagnostics and this one was not free. It was 60 bucks. 

I was honestly much more concerned about how she would handle the trip than I was the Covid test. She had never even been on an airplane before, let alone on a boat in the middle of the ocean. I was envisioning all these nightmare situations involving her screaming bloody murder on the flight and having similar meltdowns onboard. To my amazement, she was as cool as cucumber. She was better than she was at home even. Granted I had some help in the form of a loaded tablet with paw patrol and cocomelon as a crutch, but both my wife and I were in disbelief on how stoic chill she was. 

She did not receive a medallion like my wife and I. It was basically a credit card with her info on it, but it functioned in the same way. It was scanned every time she entered and left the ship and we had zero problems disembarking at any port. The only difference with Victoria, the lone Canadian port, was that we had to have her passport. To be perfectly honest, with the exception of the train ride in Skagway, there was not really a lot going on that would appeal to kids her age at the ports. I would recommend the Discovery center, which is I believe on deck 17. Here they have everything a kid can ask for to play with, and it is a chance to interact with other kids around their same age. Our daughter loved it, and would get excited every-time we got off the elevator and she realized where we were. 

Overall, from what I have heard from others, the cruise was noticeably devoid of young children compared to other cruises. Our daughter drew attention and collective "awwws" everywhere she went with us on board, and she soaked up all the attention like a sponge. 

I suspect you might be just like I was. Sort of overly freaking out about things before game time. So I get it, but I suspect your little one will be just fine. Kids are far more resilient than we give them credit for. 

Lori.thumb.jpeg.5bd145cc6fd7e0cccf12fa355a279dd1.jpeg

Edited by supaflyrobby
  • Like 3

supaflyrobbie thanks so much for your quick and thorough response. Your daughter is adorable ! I guess because she was only 2 on embark she did not need the second test at the port. Yes the PCR test pre boarding is a major pain. My daughter had appointments scheduled at a nearby (65 miles) airport and now, with 9 days notice, they are closing. She had to search but was able to find a  Quest test site 30 miles away. I'm sure they will enjoy Discovery club. It looks right up their alley. They have been on 2 cruises and flown over a dozen times so all we really worry about are those darn test results. We haven't told them they are going yet so they don't drive Mom crazy asking if it's time yet. They know Grandma and Papa are going on a cruise for their anniversary and say they will miss us. Can't wait to tell them they are joining us.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MixerDave said:

Not going to happen - it's all about control

It certainly looks like it's about control.  The CDC's standard for the Green Light for cruise ships is zero cases.

Can anyone point out any other segment of society with zero cases?

It's time to start tracking actual illnesses, not "cases" from a positive test of people who are not sick.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

It certainly looks like it's about control.  The CDC's standard for the Green Light for cruise ships is zero cases.

Can anyone point out any other segment of society with zero cases?

It's time to start tracking actual illnesses, not "cases" from a positive test of people who are not sick.

No symptoms may not seem like an illness to you but a person with no symptoms spread the virus to my 98 year old mother

On 6/8/2022 at 10:31 AM, stevenr597 said:

The NAAT test is defined as a "Molecular Test" similar to the PCR. 

Everyone agrees that is true, but it doesn't say "Molecular Test" in the Princess rules on the timing. It just says 3 days (US) or 72 hours (Canada) for a PCR test. 2 days antigen test.

The Princess rules do say the NAAT test is accepted. They just don't say which category it falls in for the timing. Presumably the same as PCR as you say, but why not make that clear in the guidance?

1 hour ago, MixerDave said:

I can't seem to find it - how long after uploading your Vax until it gets approve?  Currently shows pending.

I just got an answer from the IT dept.

He said it is supposed to be approved prior to boarding.  I don’t think this function is working yet.  JMHO

Don’t worry about it, you’ll show your

card at the port anyway.

12 hours ago, memoak said:

No symptoms may not seem like an illness to you but a person with no symptoms spread the virus to my 98 year old mother

So sad your mom is sick.  Sadly, you can test negative and still spread.  In fact first day or so of symptoms (and they are usually mild) you usually test negative.  And likely that day before when you are asymptomatic and minding your own business without any idea of having the virus, you are already spreading-and of course you would test negative.  Very tricky.

Edited by guitarcrazy

19 minutes ago, adgtravel said:

This is best news I’ve heard in a long time!!!

Certainly is. Glad I didn't order my six-pack of tests, yet. Now it will just be a two-pack for next month's cruise!

13 minutes ago, kml246 said:

Certainly is. Glad I didn't order my six-pack of tests, yet. Now it will just be a two-pack for next month's cruise!

When we ordered those in April, only 6 packs were available, with shipping and tax costing about $190.00

I hope two packs are available.

2 minutes ago, nini said:

When we ordered those in April, only 6 packs were available, with shipping and tax costing about $190.00

I hope two packs are available.

6 packs are available from eMed.  2 and 3 packs are available from the Optum Store.

17 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

6 packs are available from eMed.  2 and 3 packs are available from the Optum Store.

Different companies? I think you need to be a member for Optum?

My main point was that when it came time to purchase, EMed only had the 6 packs.

26 minutes ago, nini said:

My main point was that when it came time to purchase, EMed only had the 6 packs.

I guess we can sell 2 of the six pack 🙂 

1 hour ago, nini said:

eMed does the proctored testing for the test purchased at Optum. You can buy two packs ($69.99) or three packs $99.99) at Optum and if there is a membership requirement, it's free. I've ordered from them before and all I had to do was register. They now moved the free shipping to $75+ so you'll need to order a three pack or add $5.01 of other items to get free shipping. Otherwise, standard shipping is $5.99. Here's a link: COVID 19 Home Tests - Where to Buy Online | Optum Store

eMed sells direct, and it used to be only six packs at $150. Now they also sell two packs at $69.99. They don't have free shipping for these, and it's showing $20.88 shipping for either item shipped to FL. Here's that link: Category: COVID-19 at-home test with verified lab report | eMed

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stacy12312 said:

I guess we can sell 2 of the six pack 🙂 

Maybe. Here's info from the eMed website about the six pack:

Can I share my 6-pack with others?

Yes. However, for travelers, please be aware that eMed recommends that each individual travels with at least two testing kits at a time. Additionally, each person who tests on eMed.com is required to create an eMed account.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kml246 said:

Yes. However, for travelers, please be aware that eMed recommends that each individual travels with at least two testing kits at a time. Additionally, each person who tests on eMed.com is required to create an eMed account.

This is not a prescription, so yes, you can "share".

11 minutes ago, kml246 said:

I had a 6 pack shared among 4 people. Everyone had to  create their own login account. I have 2 left and will just keep them as I dont expect pre cruise testing to go away soon. The expiration dates are into 2023 (ordered and received early May)

Edited by Buckeye10640

21 minutes ago, Buckeye10640 said:

I had a 6 pack shared among 4 people. Everyone had to  create their own login account. I have 2 left and will just keep them as I dont expect pre cruise testing to go away soon. The expiration dates are into 2023 (ordered and received early May)

Did you purchase the six pack from eMed? That's good to know about their expiration dates. Last year, they were near the expiration date when shipped. 

I agree about the pre-cruise testing. I think the charade will last a while longer. We still have four more cruises this year, so I'll order the six pack now if the stock is that fresh.

Thanks,

Kevin

3 hours ago, travelhound said:

This is great news 👍 Now it's time for Princess to stop testing all fully vaccinated passengers!

100% agree. 👍 Will be interesting to monitor how they change their testing policy for B2B cruisers as well. 🤔

• Like 1

In the meantime, the Emerald is " locking down" again due to covid outbreak. Their numbers are rising for crew and guests. When we were on the Emerald May 9-21, our numbers decreased and the bars were open on the 7th day (being able to sit and/or order at  bar).

Edited by nini
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

On 6/8/2022 at 3:23 PM, supaflyrobby said:

I am pretty sure it was 48, but I am not certain. In any event the wife and I went to one of those drive thru places on Saturday, the day before. They gave us useable results in about 10 min or so, they billed my insurance company and that was the end of the story until we got to the cruise terminal where pandemonium ensued. 

My alter ego, Bigus Dickus, did not make an appearance until several hours later, after properly lubricated with scotch. 

I believe that if you are fully vaccinated with required boosters, you are required to have the test within two days prior to boarding, not counting the embarkation day as a required day.  This includes both Molecular and Antigen testing,.