Questions related to all things Covid testing relating to Princess Cruises

Host CJSKIDS

Just now, PacnGoNow said:

Let us know what they say.  I read the CDC travel and it says if have come in contact with a positive person.  You will be tested before you get on the ship too.

I’m going to search around a little.

If they day there’s a problem, ask where it says that on the website?

Where are you departing from? The port?

15 hours ago, BobbySu said:

So, my husband, who has been out of town for a week, got a sore throat  yesterday.  He was coming home today.  We are supposed to be on the Majestic in a week.  He will be testing tomorrow.  But for tonight he is staying in a hotel.  

IF he tests positive within a week of embarkation he can't go.  We understand that.  

But what about me?  I know Princess says travel companions can't go either, but I have not been exposed to him.  If he tests positive he would head back to our vacation home where he's been all week and stay away from me.  

Would I still be denied boarding even though I have not been around him at all?

Also, what airline are you flying on? 
If so, from what airport?

15 hours ago, BobbySu said:

So, my husband, who has been out of town for a week, got a sore throat  yesterday.  He was coming home today.  We are supposed to be on the Majestic in a week.  He will be testing tomorrow.  But for tonight he is staying in a hotel.  

IF he tests positive within a week of embarkation he can't go.  We understand that.  

But what about me?  I know Princess says travel companions can't go either, but I have not been exposed to him.  If he tests positive he would head back to our vacation home where he's been all week and stay away from me.  

Would I still be denied boarding even though I have not been around him at all?

It does say here, family member,  if you’ve been in close contact with them, since a positive case, which you have not.

Still doesn’t address the scenario of not being in close contact with a fanily member.

UPDATED: What if I test positive for COVID-19 in my pre-travel or embarkation day COVID-19 test, prior to boarding the ship?

Guests who test positive for COVID-19 will not be permitted to board, together with their family members and close contacts, and should not travel to the ship.

If you, your family members, travelling companions or other close contacts are suspected of having COVID-19 and are not permitted to board, you are entitled to a 100% Future Cruise Credit (FCC).

If you are denied boarding at the pier, due to testing positive for COVID-19 on embarkation day,, change fees and reasonable expenses related to shoreside medical care for COVID-19, shoreside quarantine and travel home for you and your immediate travel party will be covered by Princess if not reimbursable from medical insurance, a travel protection plan or other responsible party. Any meals during shoreside quarantine will be covered by a per-diem meal allowance as communicated by a letter provided by staff at the pier. (No receipt retention is required.)

If you have purchased a travel protection plan through us, you and your travel companion may make a claim for a refund under the trip interruption benefit instead of receiving the Future Cruise Credit.

Do you have a TA or a CVP?  They could help also to get to the right person.

The CDC says, if you’ve been in close contact with anyone covid positive or suspected covid, don’t travel.  Again, you have not.

Edited by PacnGoNow

46 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Let us know what they say.  I read the CDC travel and it says if have come in contact with a positive person.  You will be tested before you get on the ship too.

I’m going to search around a little.

If they day there’s a problem, ask where it says that on the website?

LiveChat person said "Yes you can travel as long as you present a negative covid test result at the port".

Person on the phone after several holds told me it would be up to the medical personnel at the dock.  This I think is the most accurate response.  In the end it will be up to the person I speak with at the dock.  

We are still waiting on his test results, but if it is negative I'm still not sure I want to chance it being a false negative.  

49 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Also, what airline are you flying on? 
If so, from what airport?

We will be driving up to Vancouver, with a stay in Seattle where my daughter and I will get our preboarding test.  I do have a CVP who I will speak with on Monday.  

1 minute ago, BobbySu said:

LiveChat person said "Yes you can travel as long as you present a negative covid test result at the port".

Person on the phone after several holds told me it would be up to the medical personnel at the dock.  This I think is the most accurate response.  In the end it will be up to the person I speak with at the dock.  

We are still waiting on his test results, but if it is negative I'm still not sure I want to chance it being a false negative.  

Okay thanks for the update. 
I don’t see how medical at the port would be involved.  If you answer you have NOT been in close contact with anyone testing positive. Which is the truth. And of course you test negative before the cruise.

You will have to cancel him, though before the cruise though, submit it to insurance, etc.

Best of luck!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BobbySu said:

We will be driving up to Vancouver, with a stay in Seattle where my daughter and I will get our preboarding test.  I do have a CVP who I will speak with on Monday.  

Okay.  That’s good. CVP can help.

Take care and good luck!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nini said:

1. Yes, there were actually guests being quarantined on the Aloha deck. I actually knew a few, some of whom were on our very active Roll Call for the May 9-21 British Isles Cruise on the Emerald. There was no "wholesale testing". Our covid numbers were so o low that we were then able to be at a bar and coffee bar to order and sit on Day 7.

2. That has been the experience of the quarantined guests... "I am being removed from my spouse for a runny nose." However, positive is positive and the cruise line is abiding by their guidelines.

3. K95 masks were freely available on the ship and distributed to the cabins before arrival.

Where on Aloha was the quarantine area - I am currently booked on Aloha - Starboard side

1 hour ago, MixerDave said:

Where on Aloha was the quarantine area - I am currently booked on Aloha - Starboard side

I do not remember exactly, but I know for sure it was on the port side.

This might be jumping the gun a bit but I will ask anyway. We are going on a cruise from Rome that ends up in Ft Lauderdale. The Island Princess departs Civitavecchia on Monday, 14 November. Our EZ Air flight leaves our home airport (Las Vegas) at 11:55 AM on 11 November and arrives in FCO (Rome) on 12 November at 10:35 AM. We are fully vaccinated and have had 2 boosters and will probably have the 3rd by then.

Current Princess policy requires us to be tested and have Negative results no more than 3 days prior to boarding. By my calculation this would have to be no earlier than 12 November. Checking on testing places in Rome, I see that they close at noon on Saturday. We only arrive at 10:35 and by the time we get our bags and clear customs it will be too late to test. 

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

By the way we purchased the EZ Air in February and the price has increased by about $1100 per person for this flight.

Edited by WmFCoyote
Correct price info

22 minutes ago, WmFCoyote said:

This might be jumping the gun a bit but I will ask anyway. We are going on a cruise from Rome that ends up in Ft Lauderdale. The Island Princess departs Civitavecchia on Monday, 14 November. Our EZ Air flight leaves our home airport (Las Vegas) at 11:55 AM on 11 November and arrives in FCO (Rome) on 12 November at 10:35 AM. We are fully vaccinated and have had 2 boosters and will probably have the 3rd by then.

Current Princess policy requires us to be tested and have Negative results no more than 3 days prior to boarding. By my calculation this would have to be no earlier than 12 November. Checking on testing places in Rome, I see that they close at noon on Saturday. We only arrive at 10:35 and by the time we get our bags and clear customs it will be too late to test. 

By the way we purchased the EZ Air in February and the price has increased by about $1100 per person for this flight.

Personally I think you are worrying too far in advance.

Rules change weekly. 

Ask again in October.

15 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Personally I think you are worrying too far in advance.

Rules change weekly. 

Ask again in October.

I would worry in October, however our final payment is 14 July and I do not wish to incur change fees.

3 minutes ago, WmFCoyote said:

I would worry in October, however our final payment is 14 July and I do not wish to incur change fees.

No one can help you, as no one knows what the ruies will be in November. 

At present,  if you embark on a Monday,  your test must be no later than on the Friday. 

1 hour ago, WmFCoyote said:

You can test on the 11th. If you depart on the 14th, then you can test on the 11th, 12th, 13th or 14th. Princess gives this example on their website.  We departed Southampton on Monday, May 9th. We could test from Friday on to the day of departure. We were so tired on arrival day, a Friday, that we did the EMed test at our hotel in Saturday morning using the hotel's Wi-Fi and it worked really well.

Yes, it may change by then and yes, it is stressful. We were in a similar situation as we did not want to change our flights because the fares had drastically increased. Otherwise, we would have said, oh well, no touring London for us and have flown in a day before cruise departure and tested at home first.

35 minutes ago, WmFCoyote said:

Check the Rome airport web site.  They were giving tests to arriving passengers but no idea if it will be offered in Nov.  Also, the Princess FAQs Protocols for Europe say they will give the test at the pier for $60 pp.  Again, could be changes by Nov.  

22 hours ago, MixerDave said:

This 

From what I have read, this can be done. 

How are these Vax records verified at check in?"  Is it a visual confirmation or some other method? 

I've been on four cruises out of Florida since cruising resumed.  On my most recent cruise, I pulled up my covid test results to show the port personnel and was cleared to board.  It was only later that I realized I had opened the file from the previous cruise and showed my test results that were a couple of months old.  

Draw your own conclusions, but on a cruise where everyone has to show a vaccination card, pre-cruise testing is simply "theater"......just like plastic gloves on food handlers, but that a discussion for another day.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

I've been on four cruises out of Florida since cruising resumed.  On my most recent cruise, I pulled up my covid test results to show the port personnel and was cleared to board.  It was only later that I realized I had opened the file from the previous cruise and showed my test results that were a couple of months old.  

Draw your own conclusions, but on a cruise where everyone has to show a vaccination card, pre-cruise testing is simply "theater"......just like plastic gloves on food handlers, but that a discussion for another day.

When we cruised in May, the powers that be were very detailed and scrutinizing when they checked all of our documents, coming and going, at the airports and port.

My grandson just received an inconclusive PCR test.  He has no symptoms.  In 10 days he is due to board the ship.  Am I reading the FAQ right? He is being retested today, June 15.  If the test is positive and he continues to be asymptomatic he will be able to board on June 25. 

What if I had Covid-19 and recovered and still test positive. Will I still be able to travel?

Exceptions may apply for asymptomatic guests who have tested positive

for COVID-19 within three months of their embarkation if they are at

least 10 days past their COVID-19 infection, are fully recovered with

no symptoms and produce documentation of recovery from COVID-19

infection.

Documentation of Recovery consists of the following:

•             Paper or electronic copies of the positive viral test result from a certified                            laboratory (dated no more than 90 days ago) or ...

The positive test would be ten days prior to boarding.  He is asymptomatic and has a positive viral test result from a certified lab.  I think he would be able to board

Of course, we're hoping that the second test tonight will be negative

Edited by Fishboy1947
format

Ok I will try my question here.  I posted a separate thread but my post was deleted with no explanation.  I am guessing because it was Covid testing related it should have been posted here instead.

Can anyone confirm that, for a B2B Vancouver-Whittier-Vancouver, that a Covid test DOES NOT need to be done for the return leg?  I realize that if the B2B is Whittier-Vancouver-Whitter it does have to be done because of Canadian regulations.  But I have read in a couple posts that it does not have to be done in Whittier.  TIA

Two questions about proctored tests:

1. Does the proctor observe the test card during 15-minute wait time? I had the impression you reestablished contact after 15 minutes, but obviously you could substitute another test.

2. Several sites offer to proctor the free government test kit, OnePoint as low as $9.99. Are these accepted by Princess?

• Like 1

We are cruising to Alaska out of Vancouver 6/25 on Princess. Vaxxed and boosted, plan on getting the PCR test at home. What is the testing window? Website says 72 hours, is that from departure time, boarding time or simply 3 days prior to departure date. Would like to receive our results before flying west on Friday morning but within the window required to board the ship. Hoping to test Wednesday if that is possible, if not Thursday morning. Thank you

5 hours ago, Punxybill said:

We are cruising to Alaska out of Vancouver 6/25 on Princess. Vaxxed and boosted, plan on getting the PCR test at home. What is the testing window? Website says 72 hours, is that from departure time, boarding time or simply 3 days prior to departure date. Would like to receive our results before flying west on Friday morning but within the window required to board the ship. Hoping to test Wednesday if that is possible, if not Thursday morning. Thank you

Which website says 72 hours? I thought the Princess website states 2 or 3 days. They also give an example: if your cruise leaves on a Monday, then you can test on Friday for 3 days ahead orSaturday for 2 days ahead.