Questions related to all things Covid testing relating to Princess Cruises

Host CJSKIDS

Flying from UK to Greece to join Regal Princess on 9th April.  We are both fully vaccinated and have had Covid several months ago.

Can anyone tell us what test we need to do before arriving.  Seem to be getting mixed messages at this time so any advice gratefully accepted.

Edited by moonglum
spelling

3 hours ago, moonglum said:

Flying from UK to Greece to join Regal Princess on 9th April.  We are both fully vaccinated and have had Covid several months ago.

Can anyone tell us what test we need to do before arriving.  Seem to be getting mixed messages at this time so any advice gratefully accepted.

Hi Moonglum, 

Today I received and e-mail from Princess saying that you have to be fully vaccinated and provide proof of an antigen/PCR test 1day before boarding the ship, these are all subject to change.

4 hours ago, moonglum said:

I recommend you continue monitoring the princess.com website, specifically the link to health protocols.  I cannot speak to the updates concerning sail from U.K. or sail from Europe itineraries, but in watching for updates relative to my upcoming sailing from the U.S., the changes to testing requirements that were posted on the website took a couple of days to be reflected in the itinerary and travel summary documents specific to my cruise.  I would hope this holds true for non-U.S. sailings as well.  HTH!

Current Health Protocols for Cruises

For cruises departing from Athens, Barcelona or Rome on Regal Princess® from March 26 and from Copenhagen or Rome on Enchanted Princess® and Island Princess®

• Vaccinations
    • Guests must have received their final dose of an authorized COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days before the beginning of the cruise and provide acceptable proof at terminal check-in.
    • Boosters are highly recommended for those eligible at least 7 days before.
  • Testing
    • Guests must provide proof at terminal check-in of a negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) before or at embarkation

This is from the Princess website and sort of hidden. On the first and main page of Princess, scroll towards the bottom on the right hand side and click on the photo/ box that says "Cruise Health. Your safety is our priority". Scroll down a bit and click on the blue letters that state: "Requirements for non- US voyages coming soon." That will take you to the requirements (yes they are REALLY already posted) and three different boxes. 1) FAQ Sailings from the United States 2) Sailings from Southampton 3) Sailings from Athens, Barcelona, Copenhagen, Rome

9 hours ago, moonglum said:

We (family of 4) flying in from USA (via London) on the 8th and on same sailing as you.  We plan to do testing "for the nominal fee" at the terminal.  Hope it's under $100.  We will see

Edited by markgray

18 hours ago, Sandipalms said:

Does anyone know if a booster is required in San Francisco?
Flying  and cruising out of.

Thanks,

Sandipalms

Hoping that someone with first-hand knowledge will answer this!!

@julia

The following is from the Princess website for sailings out of USA:

Current Health Protocols for Cruises

• Vaccinations
    • Guests must have received their final dose of an authorized COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days before the beginning of the cruise and provide acceptable proof at terminal check-in.
    • Boosters are highly recommended for those eligible at least 7 days before.
  • Testing
    • Guests must provide proof at terminal check-in of a negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken before or at embarkation.

4 hours ago, markgray said:

We (family of 4) flying in from USA (via London) on the 8th and on same sailing as you.  We plan to do testing "for the nominal fee" at the terminal.  Hope it's under $100.  We will see

Cost is $60 pp.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, julia said:

@nini  Yes, I realize that, but there is a specific statement in the Port of SF policy regarding non-boosted cruise passengers who disembark there.

What I posted pertains to boarding, not disembarking which I thought answered your concern.

3 hours ago, julia said:

@nini  Yes, I realize that, but there is a specific statement in the Port of SF policy regarding non-boosted cruise passengers who disembark there.

I see what you are talking about. Seems that if you do not have a booster SF will require Princess to test you before you disembark. If you are negative you can leave. If not, you will need to quarantine. However, that site was dated January 2022. They may have relaxed the rules by now. 

1 hour ago, travellingnana said:

I see what you are talking about. Seems that if you do not have a booster SF will require Princess to test you before you disembark. If you are negative you can leave. If not, you will need to quarantine. However, that site was dated January 2022. They may have relaxed the rules by now. 

Yes  that is what I was wondering about.  Friends were in SF on the Majestic last week (long port day) and there was NO check of booster status, but, they weren't disembarking.  Hopefully, this is not enforced.

18 hours ago, Honey-B said:

Hi Moonglum, 

Today I received and e-mail from Princess saying that you have to be fully vaccinated and provide proof of an antigen/PCR test 1day before boarding the ship, these are all subject to change.

Just seen that thanks, the only fly in the ointment is we are flying down to London and then onto Athens for an overnight before boarding.  We will probably test on the day before we fly and if there is an issue get another at the port.

3 hours ago, moonglum said:

Just seen that thanks, the only fly in the ointment is we are flying down to London and then onto Athens for an overnight before boarding.  We will probably test on the day before we fly and if there is an issue get another at the port.

Another suggestion would be to order the online kit and if you can get access to the internet in your hotel in Athens do it when you arrive. The link that Princess provides is below:

https://www.projectscreen.co.uk/fit-to-fly/teleheath-lateral-flow-antigen-test/

19 hours ago, Billish said:

Cost is $60 pp.

I am on the Regal Princess right now and I just asked Guest Service.  For those passengers embarking in Barcelona for the March 26, 2022 cruise, cost of testing at the terminal will be $100, and will be charged to your on board account.

2 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

I am on the Regal Princess right now and I just asked Guest Service.  For those passengers embarking in Barcelona for the March 26, 2022 cruise, cost of testing at the terminal will be $100, and will be charged to your on board account.

It is $60.00 for the UK cruises from Southampton.

10 hours ago, Honey-B said:

Another suggestion would be to order the online kit and if you can get access to the internet in your hotel in Athens do it when you arrive. The link that Princess provides is below:

https://www.projectscreen.co.uk/fit-to-fly/teleheath-lateral-flow-antigen-test/

We are also flying into Athens the day before with an overnight in Athens.  Rather that arrive in Athens to find out we were positive for covid it would make more sense to test in UK before we leave, but if we did the above test on Friday morning say 11am (flight is 3pm) would this count as a day before if we board the cruise at 2,30pm on Saturday? Or does anyone know if it has  to be within 24hrs ?

Question:  If you are driving (not flying) to a cruise port in the US and taking a cruise out of that port and returning to that port (Say a Princess Caribbean Cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale) do you still have to take a COVID-19 test before disembarking?  If so, and you test positive would you have to drive to the hotel they put you in and stay there until you test negative? 

1 hour ago, WF2747 said:

Question:  If you are driving (not flying) to a cruise port in the US and taking a cruise out of that port and returning to that port (Say a Princess Caribbean Cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale) do you still have to take a COVID-19 test before disembarking?  If so, and you test positive would you have to drive to the hotel they put you in and stay there until you test negative? 

There is no requirement for testing for disembarkation.

On 3/20/2022 at 10:15 AM, memoak said:

Is you PCR test not done by a medical professional ?  We get PCR tests for free at our health provider and have assumed they will be good for travel

Sort of. They are medically trained personnel with the government. But it is not recorded, so it is not good for travel, only for clearnace

16 hours ago, Rlack said:

We are also flying into Athens the day before with an overnight in Athens.  Rather that arrive in Athens to find out we were positive for covid it would make more sense to test in UK before we leave, but if we did the above test on Friday morning say 11am (flight is 3pm) would this count as a day before if we board the cruise at 2,30pm on Saturday? Or does anyone know if it has  to be within 24hrs ?

Just confirmed my own question with Princess.  PCR test can be done anytime the day before ship departs not just within 24 hrs.  Rather than get stuck in a quarantine hotel in Athens for 5 nights if found positive at the port I think we will do them at home at 9am Friday for a 2pm Saturday boarding time.  If positive we won't leave home.

• Like 2

On 3/21/2022 at 7:33 AM, Honey-B said:

Hi Moonglum, 

What are the testing requirements when flying from USA to Greece?