Questions related to all things Covid testing relating to Princess Cruises

Host CJSKIDS

Tried to search but can’t get results.

When we tested for our December cruise we used the Binax proctored rapid test through the Navica app.  We had an issue because we had updated our phones to iOS 14 but luckily had not updated our iPads.

Thanks to CC, I had read it was a known issue and Navica was working on it.

Does anyone have first hand experience with using the Binax tests through the Navica app with an updated iOS recently?

Thanks so much!!

4 hours ago, dbeckett said:

Apparently the Walgreens on 17th Street don't offer the rapid Antigen tests and then others on 17th Street only accept US citizens.  As we are coming from the UK we don't fit  into that category or the ones that say drive through.  Does anyone know of a lab that will do a rapid Antigen test without the need to do a drive though?  We are staying that Embassy Suites on 17th Street

Thanks

If I remember correctly the following are recommended on the Florida Departures Board:  testing at the airport, labdoctors, and curative.

16 hours ago, waddle said:

We are currently waiting for Princess to confirm the rules for the European cruises

We depart Barcelona on the 26th of this month and whilst fully vaccinated UK travellers dont require any tests to get in the country, not clear on the ship. I think the same applies to Rome as it stands (where we exit our cruise)

They are leaving things a little late for us to start arranging tests if we need them! 

Thank you Waddle. Very useful. We shall wait and see then!

17 hours ago, MustangGT said:

Tried to search but can’t get results.

When we tested for our December cruise we used the Binax proctored rapid test through the Navica app.  We had an issue because we had updated our phones to iOS 14 but luckily had not updated our iPads.

Thanks to CC, I had read it was a known issue and Navica was working on it.

Does anyone have first hand experience with using the Binax tests through the Navica app with an updated iOS recently?

Thanks so much!!

Not sure if this is considered recent, but we used that in January with no problems. Updated iphones.

5 hours ago, RNRcruisers said:

Not sure if this is considered recent, but we used that in January with no problems. Updated iphones.

That’s good to know!  We will go ahead and order some for our River cruise next month.

Thanks for the response!!

Edited by MustangGT
  • Like 1

I came across a link today that I-Health now offers a verified proctor service for only $20 a test if you use your own I-Health Antigen Rapid Test kit (these are the ones that many US Citizens got free from the Govt starting in January).  If you don't have one of the free test kits, they sell a 2 pk test kit w/one procotor test result for $37.  This seems like a great price, and worth the money to do it on-line vs. going to CVS or Walgreens before our upcoming cruise.  Has anyone done this successfully for their Princess cruise?  The I-Health site says it meets the requirements of the CDC for all airlines coming into the US, and they do provide you with a email confirmation.  It does not confirm if it is accepted by cruise lines, and says you need to verify your line will accept it.  

Anyone with first hand knowledge if this test is acceptable?  I'm only 30 days out from my cruise, and honestly hoping testing will no longer required by then.  Happy to see Canada and the UK are no longer requiring testing for their countries, so maybe the US AND the cruise lines will follow suit before I leave.

• Like 1

Hi all! I am just trying to find clarification as i couldn't see anything related on the princess site. I am aware of the pre-boarding test covid test requirement, ,but is there any covid testing required if you are disembarking a cruise in the USA?  Does this count as entry to the USA and require a negative test again like a flight into the USA does... even if the cruise initially left from the same port? EG - we are looking at a 2022 alaska cruise RT out of Seattle. Do we have to retest when we get back to Seattle? Thank you for the help... super excited to cruise again!!

1 hour ago, hubble said:

I came across a link today that I-Health now offers a verified proctor service for only $20 a test if you use your own I-Health Antigen Rapid Test kit (these are the ones that many US Citizens got free from the Govt starting in January).  If you don't have one of the free test kits, they sell a 2 pk test kit w/one procotor test result for $37.  This seems like a great price, and worth the money to do it on-line vs. going to CVS or Walgreens before our upcoming cruise.  Has anyone done this successfully for their Princess cruise?  The I-Health site says it meets the requirements of the CDC for all airlines coming into the US, and they do provide you with a email confirmation.  It does not confirm if it is accepted by cruise lines, and says you need to verify your line will accept it.  

Anyone with first hand knowledge if this test is acceptable?  I'm only 30 days out from my cruise, and honestly hoping testing will no longer required by then.  Happy to see Canada and the UK are no longer requiring testing for their countries, so maybe the US AND the cruise lines will follow suit before I leave.

This is good news... Now to determine if it would be accepted by Princess in the two or three day window before boarding. I am SO very disappointed in Princess, because they earlier said that we could test at the ship and they would pay for it. And the same went for testing the day before disembarkment to fly home. 

6 hours ago, mrs.seaweed said:

Hi all! I am just trying to find clarification as i couldn't see anything related on the princess site. I am aware of the pre-boarding test covid test requirement, ,but is there any covid testing required if you are disembarking a cruise in the USA?  Does this count as entry to the USA and require a negative test again like a flight into the USA does... even if the cruise initially left from the same port? EG - we are looking at a 2022 alaska cruise RT out of Seattle. Do we have to retest when we get back to Seattle? Thank you for the help... super excited to cruise again!!

Testing is not required for disembarking any ship from a U.S. port.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, waddle said:

Hi Waddle,  

Do you know if the tests that they do at Boots for £30 are acceptable or do you have to go somewhere else?

2 hours ago, Honey-B said:

Hi Waddle,  

Do you know if the tests that they do at Boots for £30 are acceptable or do you have to go somewhere else?

Depends if you are guaranteed to get your results straight away. As the tests have to be done 1 day before, no time to allow the sample to go through a lab

7 minutes ago, waddle said:

Depends if you are guaranteed to get your results straight away. As the tests have to be done 1 day before, no time to allow the sample to go through a lab

Boots and Lloyd chemist LTF (antigen tests) are acceptable,  and you get the results in less than an hour.  Lloyds say 15 minutes on their website, and you get a hard copy as well if you wait. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Testing is not required for disembarking any ship from a U.S. port.

If you are not boosted San Francisco requires a test prior to disembarkation.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/26556-san-francisco-updates-booster-vaccination-requirement-for-cruise-passengers.html#:~:text=“Due to the recent surge,boosted when eligible) before coming

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Kalba said:

Princess requires unvaccinated children (under 5) to undergo two covid tests. Does this mean my 6 month old baby requires two tests? I can't seem to find a minimum age for when they require testing

This is the information on the travel summary for my upcoming cruise in April. It says testing for guests 2yrs old and older.

COVID-19 VACCINATION REQUIREMENT

Please be advised that all eligible guests 5 years and older on this voyage are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and meet the following requirements: - have received their final dose of an authorized COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days before the beginning of the cruise and provide proof of vaccination at terminal check-in - provide acceptable proof of a negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken before of embarkation (for guests 2 years and older).

Edited by t&atravel

I’m so annoyed I could grit my teeth! Just tried to book our Covid antigen tests at CVS and they aren’t giving it any any of local stores!!! We haven’t been concerned because we’ve already done it three times now we can get the PCR test and hope to get results before we board or look elsewhere. I’ve looked into Walgreens and they are giving something called NAAT test as a rapid test. Is this accepted by Princess? Thanks!

28 minutes ago, Big Tiger Fan said:

I’m so annoyed I could grit my teeth! Just tried to book our Covid antigen tests at CVS and they aren’t giving it any any of local stores!!! We haven’t been concerned because we’ve already done it three times now we can get the PCR test and hope to get results before we board or look elsewhere. I’ve looked into Walgreens and they are giving something called NAAT test as a rapid test. Is this accepted by Princess? Thanks!

This from the Princess.com health protocols website:

What types of COVID-19 tests are accepted?

Guests must be tested with a SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT).

• Antigen tests include:
    • Rapid antigen test
    • Viral antigen test
    • Antigen Chromatographic Digital Immunoassay,
    • Antigen Chemiluminescence Immunoassay, or
    • Antigen Lateral Flow Fluorescence
  • NAAT include:
    • PCR - Polymerase chain reaction
    • RT-PCR – reverse transcription real time PCR
    • Quantitative PCR (qPCR)
    • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP) test
    • Transcription-mediated amplification (TMA) test
    • Molecular test or molecular diagnostic test
    • Isothermal amplification
    • Droplet Digital PCR or digital droplet PCR (ddPCR)
    • Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR)

19 hours ago, hubble said:

I looked at the website and you can only book the proctor part about a month out. As of today, you can only book 4 weeks out. I think it would qualify as it is a Antigen Rapid Test.

2 minutes ago, Big Tiger Fan said:

Thanks for the info, Kamelia. I tried to find just that information and did not succeed. CC connections come through again. I’ll book through Walgreens. Thanks again.

You're very welcome! Happy sailing!

Currently, it is required to test within one day of returning to USA. Previously, Princess said that they would accommodate passengers onboard, the day before leaving the ship.

The policy is now:

"If a negative COVID-19 test is required for re-entry into your home country, subject to availability, Princess will cover the costs of any COVID-19 test administered on board within the timeframe required prior to travel. Please note that if your travel plans go beyond the validity of the onboard test, you are responsible for securing and paying for your own test.

Guests are encouraged to review their home country’s health authority and travel websites to understand the latest guidance on required testing and timing for return travel."

My question is: If we bring onboard a test, can we use the computers onboard or have a medical staff be the proctor?

23 minutes ago, nini said:

Currently, it is required to test within one day of returning to USA. Previously, Princess said that they would accommodate passengers onboard, the day before leaving the ship.

The policy is now:

"If a negative COVID-19 test is required for re-entry into your home country, subject to availability, Princess will cover the costs of any COVID-19 test administered on board within the timeframe required prior to travel. Please note that if your travel plans go beyond the validity of the onboard test, you are responsible for securing and paying for your own test.

Guests are encouraged to review their home country’s health authority and travel websites to understand the latest guidance on required testing and timing for return travel."

My question is: If we bring onboard a test, can we use the computers onboard or have a medical staff be the proctor?

I read this as "you can use our tests onboard, as long as we don't run out".  We are on Athens April 9th cruise and assume this means we will test (on the ship at their facility) the sea day before we fly out on disembarkation morning.