EZ Air & British Air seat assignment

FlaMariner

4 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

I'm the OP.....Thanks for all the responses....but I remain confused and puzzled (nothing new for me when trying to figure out airline procedures).

I'm not understanding why I would buy a ticket that does not come with a seat, but hey, whatever.   LOL.  The next confusing thing would be why do I buy a ticket for plane trip and then later buy a seat on that same plane.

I think I will chill out for a few days and then ask the TA the question about seat assignment.  If it comes with a fee, I'm thinking I can just show up at the airport with my ticket and they will have seats for us w/no charge. 

We have flown across the pond many times and have been in all seats (Delta One, Premium, business, coach) and we find them all uncomfortable and miserable so we are just fine paying for steerage and getting there when everyone else does!

Thanks again for all the responses and experiences........

You're paying to select a seat in advance. Seat selection is free when you check in 24 hours before the flight. But of course your choice of seats by then will be more limited.

Just now, jimbo1683 said:

You're paying to select a seat in advance. Seat selection is free when you check in 24 hours before the flight. But of course your choice of seats by then will be more limited.

That's fine with us as long as we are not sitting on the wing.......

3 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

I'm not understanding why I would buy a ticket that does not come with a seat, but hey

You have a seat, but BA will allocate one for you, unless you either pay extra to select it, or choose whatever is available 24 hours prior to departure. 

On this side of the Atlantic,  that seems pretty normal.

We normally fly in PE on BA, and always pay extra to choose our seats. It's just part of the overall fare.

11 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

Only booking first or business class allows picking seats on Princess site. You state you are steerage so you don't get to pick until after you pay for airfare, usually 45 days prior out. You could opt for payment early but then you can't get a refund.

We booked Business class and we still can't choose our seats unless we want to pay extra.  Our flights (Flexible) were paid for when final payment was made but I believe we can cancel 45 days out.

Edited by suzyed

I am Canadian🇨🇦.  I booked BA on EzAir - Toronto (YYZ) to London (LHR)  in Premium Economy and was able to pick my seats free.

My EzAir return price - Premium Economy + free seats = $1,678

BA booking direct - Premium Economy + paying seats =$3,080

1 hour ago, phabric said:

I am Canadian🇨🇦.  I booked BA on EzAir - Toronto (YYZ) to London (LHR)  in Premium Economy and was able to pick my seats free.

My EzAir return price - Premium Economy + free seats = $1,678

BA booking direct - Premium Economy + paying seats =$3,080

EZ air return flight....Business class $1850 for both of us....Same flight through AA was over $4000 each! Wowza!

I have a Europe Nov 2023 cruise.  

I check Plan a Cruise - Europe Nov 2022 - dates around my cruise- view cruises - try to find embarkment/disembarkment ports that you plan to use. 

Under the green section - you will see - itinerary, shore excursions, Flight Quotes.  Try putting dates close to what you want.  Not perfect, it goes you an idea of what the prices might be.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, phabric said:

I have a Europe Nov 2023 cruise.  

I check Plan a Cruise - Europe Nov 2022 - dates around my cruise- view cruises - try to find embarkment/disembarkment ports that you plan to use. 

Under the green section - you will see - itinerary, shore excursions, Flight Quotes.  Try putting dates close to what you want.  Not perfect, it goes you an idea of what the prices might be.

Thank you i hadnt spotted the flight quotes. Got it now.

• Like 1

I hate the fact that you have to pay to book seats on BA even in discounted Biz Class.  BUT...  I have to say EZ Air has some great deals!  I am paying $954 (one way) for Barcelona -> London -> Phoenix -> Palm Springs in BUSINESS CLASS!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, lodinayr said:

I hate the fact that you have to pay to book seats on BA even in discounted Biz Class.  BUT...  I have to say EZ Air has some great deals!  I am paying $954 (one way) for Barcelona -> London -> Phoenix -> Palm Springs in BUSINESS CLASS!

That is great price, even if you have to pay extra to reserve a seat on the London-Phoenix leg.

As you probably know, BC on the BCN -LHR route is standard economy seating, but with the middle seat left empty (3-3 seating configuration on the 'bus)

7 hours ago, jimbo1683 said:

Is there a way of researching flight prices via EZ before booking a cruise?

Yes, Just select the cruise you have an interest in on the Princess website.  Once the details appear there is a black banner across the top of the page with "Flight Quotes" at the far right end.  Click on that and follow the links. 

On 1/9/2022 at 1:45 PM, FlaMariner said:

I'm not understanding why I would buy a ticket that does not come with a seat, but hey, whatever. 

The reason is that it is the airline's policy. It does not matter if you booked directly with the airline or used EZAir.

As to why the airlines do this? It is to get more $$$ from you.

On 1/9/2022 at 1:45 PM, FlaMariner said:

If it comes with a fee, I'm thinking I can just show up at the airport with my ticket and they will have seats for us w/no charge.

Correct (or possibly do it for free during the 24 hours before the flight).

If you do not care where you sit (middle seat fine for 10+ hours?) of if you and a traveling companion sit together, you can do it for free as you suggest.

35 minutes ago, caribill said:

Correct (or possibly do it for free during the 24 hours before the flight).

If you do not care where you sit (middle seat fine for 10+ hours?) of if you and a traveling companion sit together, you can do it for free as you suggest.

BA let you select a seat for free 24 hours prior to departure. Obviously your choice will be limited if you wait until then, and if you delay until you actually  arrive at the airport, expect to be assigned the sests that no one else wants. 

Personally,  the relatively small cost of paying to book a seat (compared to the overall cost of the   cruise etc) seems a small price to pay to make sure I get a half decent seat, especially when flying economy on a long flight.

Edited by wowzz

On 1/10/2022 at 3:02 PM, wowzz said:

That is great price, even if you have to pay extra to reserve a seat on the London-Phoenix leg.

As you probably know, BC on the BCN -LHR route is standard economy seating, but with the middle seat left empty (3-3 seating configuration on the 'bus)

Yeah, I would hope the food/drinks are a little better than Economy on the BCN-LHR segment, but I do realize BC is really just an empty seat (lol).  All I really care about is the LHR-PHX segment 🙂

I'm the OP.

I am in steerage (BA LHR to MIA booked thru AA) and I've logged on to BA and AA several times since the flight was booked and no seat selection option is available (even for a fee).  My $$$ must be no good...which is fine. 

Everything seems to be set up that steerage seats are available only 24 hours before departure.

Any intel if you still must pay tribute for a seat when it is within the 24 hour departure window and you are in steerage?

We are not seat picky folks (obviously) so thinking we want to play this out and just pay for a ticket and take what seat is included....LOL.

14 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

I'm the OP.

I am in steerage (BA LHR to MIA booked thru AA) and I've logged on to BA and AA several times since the flight was booked and no seat selection option is available (even for a fee).  My $$$ must be no good...which is fine. 

Everything seems to be set up that steerage seats are available only 24 hours before departure.

Any intel if you still must pay tribute for a seat when it is within the 24 hour departure window and you are in steerage?

We are not seat picky folks (obviously) so thinking we want to play this out and just pay for a ticket and take what seat is included....LOL.

You get free seat selection 24 hours prior to the time of departure. 

5 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

I'm the OP.

Economy

What do you see when you log in. If no seats are available for a charge id be worried it hasn't been ticketed properly in which case don't leave it until 24 hours beforehand to do something about it

Edited by jimbo1683

1 hour ago, jimbo1683 said:

Economy

What do you see when you log in. If no seats are available for a charge id be worried it hasn't been ticketed properly in which case don't leave it until 24 hours beforehand to do something about it

I have only ever booked direct with BA, so not sure if the same scenario applies with EZE bookings. 

You log into "manage my booking" on the BA web site, with your booking reference. This then allows you to see what seats are available,  and how much each seat costs to book. Once you are in the 24 hour window,  you can then select your seats for free.