RoyalUp disappointment 2 Jan 2022

Newport55

Submitted a Royal Up request for a Junior Suite on the Odyssey sail date 2 Jan 2022. Request was made 8 December 2021. Kept checking for notification with no response. On ship, day of sailing went to our stateroom and without unpacking in hopes of being upgraded then after the Odyssey was well out to sea, the notification of the unsuccessful bid arrived via email. Makes one wonder how process works in notifying guests. I understand that this is not a guarantee but RCI at least could notify yea or nay 24-48 hrs prior to sail day. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Newport55 said:

after the Odyssey was well out to sea, the notification of the unsuccessful bid arrived via email.

There are many data points indicating the RoyalUp notifications tend to arrive later than one expects. In addition, though, you were almost certainly impacted by an email bug that caused messages to be stuck in transport queues for hours up to a couple days that hit the weekend of your sailing. I'd guess 3/4 of the world's enterprise email servers were potentially affected. If you wanted to see when your email was sent, you could look at the Internet headers of the message.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Newport55 said:

I understand that this is not a guarantee but RCI at least could notify yea or nay 24-48 hrs prior to sail day. 

They used to, and in some cases still do. But since the restart, with so many late cancellations and no-shows, many cabins & suites often become available last minute and it’s only when check-in closes that they know exactly what’s available.

• Like 3

This isn’t royals doing.    They use a 3rd party with the RU program.   
i always expect nothing and when and if I do get something. That’s a plus.   
and if you haven’t got anything by the time your on the ship just move on. It’s not gonna happen.    

Edited by Ptroxx
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

This isn’t royals doing.    They use a 3rd party with the RU program.   
i always expect nothing and when and if I do get something. That’s a plus.   
and if you haven’t got anything by the time your on the ship just move on. It’s not gonna happen.    

While I agree the OP doesn't really have much of a complaint, I hate the copout (for any company) that "they use a 3rd party to do <insert task>".  Guess what?  Royal is responsible for contracting the 3rd party, so they're responsible for what that company does/doesn't do.  

• Like 5

When we were on Allure in Nov, we didn't get notification that our bid was not accepted until we were onboard. I had already realized before we boarded that we weren't getting the upgrade in that our cabin number stayed the same the entire time.

I would have thought, had the bid been accepted, we would have been notified a few days before as others on our roll call were, or when boarding if the same cabin number appeared on the app as it had all along, no upgrade for us.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Merion_Mom said:

Someone reported yesterday that they got an upgrade on board, by inquiring at Guest Services.

Yes, with way times are right now. As soon as you board, that should be your first stop on the ship. Guest Services to ask about upgrades, that way if there are no shows you are on the very top of the list that gets a call that one is available. Are you still interested.

I'm sure a lot of these upgrades are done onboard now and not at the check-in counter like it used to be.

5 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I'm sure a lot of these upgrades are done onboard now and not at the check-in counter like it used to be.

Check in upgrades? When was that ever thing in the last 5+ years?

It sounds like asking for an upgrade early on boarding day usually won't work - GS will likely tell you come back after sail away.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Check in upgrades? When was that ever thing in the last 5+ years?

It sounds like asking for an upgrade early on boarding day usually won't work - GS will likely tell you come back after sail away.

Have done it before, they put you on a  waiting list and later that day or even sometime the next morning you get a call and ask you if you want to get moved.

44 minutes ago, gumshoe958 said:

They used to, and in some cases still do. But since the restart, with so many late cancellations and no-shows, many cabins & suites often become available last minute and it’s only when check-in closes that they know exactly what’s available.

RoyalUp will never take into affect no shows / very last minute cancellations because of positive COVID tests. They probably do their last assignments about 24-48 hours prior to sailing. My guess its a very complex process of figuring out what upgrade path provides the best profit to them and Royal. (What's available compared to chains available with pricing nodes attached)

If you want a no show / recent cancellation empty cabin upgrade, your best bet for those is a visit to guest services on day 1 after the ship has set sail and the passenger count is defined.

21 minutes ago, Jimbo said:
5 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

No, on ship.

22 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

So again, when was the last time anyone could upgrade at the check in counter like you mentioned?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

So again, when was the last time anyone could upgrade at the check in counter like you mentioned?

been awhile, over 2 years ago lol is it really that important,thing to know now, it isn't done there anymore ............Go to Guest services after you board, end of story.

Edited by Jimbo

45 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Someone reported yesterday that they got an upgrade on board, by inquiring at Guest Services.

Similar situation as OP.  Never got notified during my b2b on Adventure in November on the 2nd leg so I went to Guest services and asked as I really didn't like my spacious OV balcony location.  They offered a JS for $200 extra or a GS for $300.  We decided to just stick with what we had as it was a 5 day cruise and cost us nothing as a last minute booking.  I'd rather have a GS on a newer ship.  We did actually get our cabin moved to the aft Spacious OV balcony on 10 so all was good.  Bottom line:  Just ask

• Like 1

Last night my Royal UpBid (Jan 17th Navigator) was showing Pending...Just checked and it's now showing UPGRADED. No email or charge to my credit card yet. Cautiously excited. From a GS to OS if true a nice birthday surprise.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Last night my Royal UpBid (Jan 17th Navigator) was showing Pending...Just checked and it's now showing UPGRADED. No email or charge to my credit card yet. Cautiously excited. From a GS to OS if true a nice birthday surprise.

Happy Birthday my friend....and fingers crossed it is a go for you!!  

image.jpeg.8d8db20fd03b547539d4814b5d70acb3.jpeg

Edited by island lady
  • Thanks 1

CONGRATULATIONS!

Yes just got this update for Navigator....Interesting about the comment for Odyssey which doesn't apply to me.

Thanks so much...very happy !!

Hi CHERYL,

Your RoyalUp bid for a stateroom upgrade has been accepted.

What to do now:

• You have been upgraded to the Owner's Suite stateroom(s).
  • If you are not yet onboard the ship, please reprint your SetSail Pass and luggage tags to accurately reflect your updated stateroom(s). When you log into Manage Reservation, you'll see your new stateroom number, which is assigned based on availability.
  • If you are sailing on Odyssey of the Seas and are already onboard the ship, please stop by the guest relations desk as soon as possible to receive you new cabin number and key.
Edited by Ashland
  • Like 3

Just now, Ashland said:
CONGRATULATIONS!
Hi CHERYL,

Your RoyalUp bid for a stateroom upgrade has been accepted.

What to do now:

• You have been upgraded to the Owner's Suite stateroom(s).
  • If you are not yet onboard the ship, please reprint your SetSail Pass and luggage tags to accurately reflect your updated stateroom(s). When you log into Manage Reservation, you'll see your new stateroom number, which is assigned based on availability.
  • If you are sailing on Odyssey of the Seas and are already onboard the ship, please stop by the guest relations desk as soon as possible to receive you new cabin number and key.

Yaaaahh!!!!   🤗

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Interesting about the comment for Odyssey which doesn't apply to me.

Folks on Odyssey was the first ship to report that the denial email doesn't arrive till after sail away - I guess on her and some other ships, you can get an upgrade after you board.

4 hours ago, Ashland said:

Where do you go to check the status?