Are jeans appropriate in the MDR?

brwneyedgirl72

1 minute ago, brisalta said:

Dress CODE != Dress SUGGESTION

You happy now? 😀

Same truth in the equation as before, but Princess does not have a Dress Code.  They have recommendations and suggestions.  Look, we all know that on the ships there is a wide range of dress accepted with only the most casual beach/gym type items possibly turned away.  Princess themselves allows for a range of acceptable wear if all of their FAQ info is read.  It has been this way for many years.  Now they are even using "Dress To Impress" terminology on at least one ship in lieu of "Formal Wear".  Wear a tux, a suit, jacket and tie, jacket and no tie, shirt and pants, and it's all good.  No point in denying reality.  And it allows folks to dress up to the extent they want and that's fine by me.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Same truth in the equation as before, but Princess does not have a Dress Code.  They have recommendations and suggestions.  Look, we all know that on the ships there is a wide range of dress accepted with only the most casual beach/gym type items possibly turned away.  Princess themselves allows for a range of acceptable wear if all of their FAQ info is read.  It has been this way for many years.  Now they are even using "Dress To Impress" terminology on at least one ship in lieu of "Formal Wear".  Wear a tux, a suit, jacket and tie, jacket and no tie, shirt and pants, and it's all good.  No point in denying reality.  And it allows folks to dress up to the extent they want and that's fine by me.

I guess you have never bothered to read the Princess dress code.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, brisalta said:

I guess you have never bothered to read the Princess dress code.

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq/pre-cruise/what-to-pack-for-a-cruise/

Right at the top it states "Clothing Recommendations".  BUT, I suppose that section could be termed a "Code".  I think most of the CC posters consider a "Code" similar to a sort of "rule of law".  IOW, everything written is absolute with no deviation - and that simply isn't the case.  Accepting that the term "Code" can be applied to any set of recommendations on a topic, then I suppose it could be used.  I just think most people think when the word "Code" is used, it means "mandatory" and that simply isn't the case with Princess.

Additional details are also given in the next section "Packing for Your Cruise" and especially in the pop-up link labelled "Learn more on what to pack for a cruise".

Not only read it all, but I have checked it from time to time to see if any changes have occurred when someone refers to it.

3 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Right at the top it states "Clothing Recommendations".  BUT, I suppose that section could be termed a "Code".  I think most of the CC posters consider a "Code" similar to a sort of "rule of law".  IOW, everything written is absolute with no deviation - and that simply isn't the case.  Accepting that the term "Code" can be applied to any set of recommendations on a topic, then I suppose it could be used.  I just think most people think when the word "Code" is used, it means "mandatory" and that simply isn't the case with Princess.

Additional details are also given in the next section "Packing for Your Cruise" and especially in the pop-up link labelled "Learn more on what to pack for a cruise".

Not only read it all, but I have checked it from time to time to see if any changes have occurred when someone refers to it.

Formal
When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

• Evening attire or cocktail dresses for women
  • Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, brisalta said:

Formal
When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

• Evening attire or cocktail dresses for women
  • Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men

DOH!!!  I am tired and it is late.  Only excuse I have.  YES, those words are there.  And I did know that. 

Not trying a win or lose an argument here.  My mind was probably coming at it from a different angle based on other post content.  

The undeniable is that the "code" in writing is what it is, but the reality of what people do and what is accepted are entirely different things.  I think it is a good thing that Princess supports and welcomes the formal wear and also other options that still have folks nicely dressed in the great majority of cases as it is a more modern approach and is more in line with other mass market lines.  

It's too bad they don't just re-word things to match what is actually going on.  And then they ought to be able to enforce a broader more flexible "code".   Sorry, the word just doesn't seem to fit for me based on what the real-life situation is.

44 minutes ago, Shelly97060 said:

Yes,  jeans that are not frayed and do not have holes are ok in dining room for casual dress evenings per Princess.  Here is the link with suggested dress code.

If you allow jeans in the MDR, what about woman's jeans w holes.  Lots of women wear them as a fashion statement and it seems that the more holes there are in the jeans, the more expensive they are?

DON

8 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

Is there any other attire besides Jeans? Not in my house. You'll be fine.

Yes. I can’t fit in my jeans anymore. I wear leggings and sweatpants. 😊

P.S. Hope you are doing well. We enjoyed the candle from the gift exchange tonight.

Here is the Princess FAQs again.

You can decide for yourself what is recommended, not what others decide is recommended. Just because a lot of posters say jeans are OK, doesn't make it so.

Edited by 2 cruises a year
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

DOH!!!  I am tired and it is late.  Only excuse I have.  YES, those words are there.  And I did know that. 

Not trying a win or lose an argument here.  My mind was probably coming at it from a different angle based on other post content.  

The undeniable is that the "code" in writing is what it is, but the reality of what people do and what is accepted are entirely different things.  I think it is a good thing that Princess supports and welcomes the formal wear and also other options that still have folks nicely dressed in the great majority of cases as it is a more modern approach and is more in line with other mass market lines.  

It's too bad they don't just re-word things to match what is actually going on.  And then they ought to be able to enforce a broader more flexible "code".   Sorry, the word just doesn't seem to fit for me based on what the real-life situation is.

Why don't people just follow the suggestions instead of dumbing down the suggestions?

If Princess made the "suggestions" mandatory, can you imagine the outcry?

• Like 2

Cruise lines need to adopt to the pandemic and realize some of us have been working from home for the last 2 years and been wearing sweat shirts and sweat pants almost all the time (including many trips out of my home) and allow us to wear those to dinner on cruises. 
That’s how I would be most comfortable and feel like I’m at home 

• Like 1

The same discussions seem to arise every time "how to dress" comes up and some people like to quote the style that was many years ago when Princess had their formal, semi formal, casual nights.

Either that of the just pick out the parts of the article that suit them.

In the mean time Princess is just trying to please as many people as possible without offending anyone.

Steelers36 comments have summed up very concisely what rules/codes that Princess is currently applying on all their ships.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone!  My intention certainly was not to ignite arguments, but rather help determine what I should pack.  I appreciate that everyone has different opinions about what they consider to be "appropriate", but after years sailing with Celebrity where jeans are included in their suggested attire and the dress code is much more relaxed (i.e. Evening Chic has replaced "Formal Night"), I simply didn't want to look out of place.   Thank you for all of the feedback.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Phantom of the Seas said:

Here we go...the simply answer is NO!

Dress Code:

There are two recommendations for evenings and dinners:

Smart casual:

Dress the same way you would do for a visit to a restaurant at home. Skirts, dresses or “trousers” with t-shirt or blouse for ladies, “trousers “ and shirt or polo shirt for gentlemen. Shorts and swimwear are not allowed in restaurant.

Formal:

Evening gown, cocktail dress or pantsuits for ladies, suit, combination or dinner jackets for gentlemen.

*jeans are not “trousers”....call me “old school”...

RE: The red/bolded line.  

Ok then, I'm wearing jeans.  That's what I wear when I go to a restaurant.  Thank you!  :classic_smile:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, brwneyedgirl72 said:

I am scheduled to sail on Regal Princess at the end of January, and was wondering if jeans are acceptable attire in the MDR (not formal night) and specialty restaurants.  I have been sailing Celebrity almost exclusively for the past several years and jeans are acceptable in the MDR.  This is my first sailing on Princess in quite some time and I don't want to be dressed inappropriately.  Many thanks!

Yes of course. Nothing ripped or holey of course, but clean jeans and a dressy top looks perfectly nice.  (I have a wee suspicion that a few 'older' peeps might not agree with me, but seeing as no-one has yet been banned from a cruise ship for wearing them, I think we can safely say it is ok :-D )

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Phantom of the Seas said:

Again to answer the ?.....”jeans” are acceptable, but not recommended by Princess!

If you're asking if they're not recommended, then the answer is that Princess will allow them in the dining room on casual nights & throughout the ship at any time. Although they don't say specifically, they seem to also allow them on formal nights in the dining room. 

It comes down to this:  Wear what makes you feel most comfortable within the rules that Princess has set forth.  Don't worry about what other people think.  Most of all, just enjoy yourself and rock those jeans if you got 'em!  :classic_cool:

A few years ago on a Princess Ship on formal night, me wearing a penguin suit and the wife in a very nice dress, we were standing in line waiting to go into the dinning room.

In front of us was a young couple.  The lady was wearing knee high leather boots polished in a nice shine, form fitting jeans, and a jean jacket with lots of bling attached.

What was really noticeable about the ladies attire was the fact that she had cut out both of the rear pockets and her tail assembly was on display.

At the point the wife clunked me on the side of the head and asked what was I looking at?  I explained that I was attempting to determine if her attire was within the bounds of the dress code.  Clunk again.  Asked what that was for? Answer, that's for giving me a stupid answer.

Well, she and her companion went into the dinning room and lots of heads turned as she walked past.😀

Bob

• Haha 6

8 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Cruise lines need to adopt to the pandemic and realize some of us have been working from home for the last 2 years and been wearing sweat shirts and sweat pants almost all the time (including many trips out of my home) and allow us to wear those to dinner on cruises. 
That’s how I would be most comfortable and feel like I’m at home 

amen.

I've been home for 2 years and have been wearing exclusively yoga pants, sweatpants, pjs, and t-shirts. Wearing jeans seems super dressy to me now, lol.

But, to be honest, even pre-pandemic people around here didn't bother wearing even anything as "fancy" as jeans to local places like Longhorn and Olive Garden. I've seen many people in sweats and tracksuits there.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, K.T.B. said:

RE: The red/bolded line.  

Ok then, I'm wearing jeans.  That's what I wear when I go to a restaurant.  Thank you!  :classic_smile:

Same here. Have 6 pair. 1 dark w/o contrasting stitching for nice restaurants in SF & services, 1 dark w/ contrasting stitching for restaurants here, 2 medium (hiking / dog park / hanging out), 2 light. So I'm set for casual & formal nights with pumps not knee high boots.  I reserve colored jeans for the Philharmonic 

Who says they aren't trousers?? 

Edited by Ombud