Exchanging "included" drink package for OBC?

Birdnutty

HAs anyone asked Celebrity if they could convert the beverage part of the free perks package?  We very much want to keep the wifi and tips, but feel we drink too much (for us, it's too easy to overdo, and we'd rather not) if we have the package.  We're not interested in specialty coffees or smoothies, designer water or soda, so we just want to convert that part to OBC, and if we want a drink, we'll buy one.  This would be for the both of us.

Has anyone done this?  And if so, what was the exchange?

TIA!

Too late for that.  We sail in February.  Was going to email my TA, but thought I'd throw it out here first, just in case someone else has run into this. I know I've seen something similar posted on some board here on CC - just don't know where.  It didn't apply to me at the moment, but now that it does, I have no idea where I saw it.

I have asked my travel agent about this.  I don't drink at all...not even pop.  Since water, lemonade and iced tea are free, I could easily do without the drink package.  Unfortunately, the answer was no.  

I would have not even thought to ask except Princess allowed it a few years ago.  For a 14-night cruise, they gave me $600 OBC. 

Maybe if enough of us starting asking for it, it could evolve into a "thing".   I'll let you know if My TA gets any info.  This TA is a not real well known as one that goes to bat for you.  Can't even talk to a real person, only email, so my hopes are not high.

I would be shocked if they even entertained this! The cost is calculated in the cruise fare and some will benefit whilst others won’t come close, but it’s all in the math. 

If people could change their ‘free’ packages around, it would be a financial and logistical nightmare!

• Like 2

Just for the heck of it I looked at the difference between the AI fare vs a Cruise Only for a Conceigre class cabin on our upcoming February cruise.of 7N.  

The price difference was $ 280 pp.  if I deduct the gratuities of $16 per day that is $112.  The surf wi-fi is $13.50per day so $94 .  That leaves $74 a coffee and a bottle of water a day  would cost about that much. 

Granted the difference in AI fares and cruise only varies by cruise and category but some times the drink package is the price difference somethink. 

I would guess no.   I'm a Zenith and get Free Internet, Premium Drinks Package etc.  I've asked  but  have never received a positive answer to have them removed unless I book a fare with no perks.   Those fares are also often non-refundable.   Most of the time when I try to force it and booking a Suite it reverts to including the perks.

This topic had several thousand comments when Celebrity went to AI fares.  Those of us with Elite cruising status got free drinks every evening.  Many don't care about more drinks.  Answer was no - and as Jelayne said included internet, gratuities and throw in a few coffees and you have the same fare.

Nice idea.  Asked many times.   Same negative answer.  

Just book with simply sail if that works for you.

6 hours ago, Birdnutty said:

Maybe if enough of us starting asking for it, it could evolve into a "thing".   I'll let you know if My TA gets any info.  This TA is a not real well known as one that goes to bat for you.  Can't even talk to a real person, only email, so my hopes are not high.

Many months ago I (along with many others) raised all these points with X. In response to my submission I had a long phone call from them followed by an email which among other things said " we appreciate that not everyone wants or needs s drinks package or internet and are working to correct this". X's own figures show that excluding tips AI adds $100 per person per day to the basic cruise costs. However as shown above they discount only a fraction of that when offering a Simply Sail Fare. 

Solo passengers fare worst as they pay for 2 drinks packages, 2 internet packages and 2 lots of tips.

8 hours ago, lola2013 said:

I have asked my travel agent about this.  I don't drink at all...not even pop.  Since water, lemonade and iced tea are free, I could easily do without the drink package.  Unfortunately, the answer was no.  

I would have not even thought to ask except Princess allowed it a few years ago.  For a 14-night cruise, they gave me $600 OBC. 

Oceania still do  it - had an offer last week $800 per person but can't remember how long the cruise was.

8 hours ago, lola2013 said:

Princess used to have a summer sale called "Sip and Sale". (or "Sip and Sail).  it was simply a free drink package on top of regular (supposedly) prices.  For a long time, they would offer an OBC instead.  Eventually they stopped that, though.  Then about a year later their January "Best Sale ever" included drinks, tips and Wifi, and voila, Princess Plus was born.  They still offer no perks.  

For grins one year I calculated whether the OBC or drink package (back in Sip and Sale) was better for us.  We're light drinkers, but we do specialty coffee, wine with dinner and a couple of other drinks throughout the day.  It was a wash.   

10 hours ago, Guindalf said:

I would be shocked if they even entertained this! The cost is calculated in the cruise fare and some will benefit whilst others won’t come close, but it’s all in the math. 

If people could change their ‘free’ packages around, it would be a financial and logistical nightmare!

What nightmare?

Currently after you have selected your cabin and pushed book you get:

1) want a refundable deposit - tick the box

2) want insurance - tick the box

3) upgrade your drinks package - tick the box.

4) upgrade your internet package - tick the box.

The options go on and on.

14 hours ago, Birdnutty said:

While I am purely making a guess here, I would think they say a firm no.  That said, it is def worth a try, one never knows, good luck!

15 hours ago, Birdnutty said:

While your asking, ask if we can exchange our Wi-Fi for OBC. 😉 I'll keep the CBP and gratuities.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

It is a nightmare for those sailing solo.

Totally agree that AI is totally unfair to solo passengers and have been saying so for months.

What wouldn't be a nightmare is for X to correct the problem - just give us a basic price plus options exactly as previously.

23 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

What if one doesn’t eat any meat? Credit for that? How about using no AC in the cabin?  Bring your own towels? 

Very funny--- 

One time once the Captain walked by and asked whether we were having a good time.

When I told him " Yes, except that our waiter forgot to bring etc etc, and our room steward didn't etc, etc, and the questions at trivia were etc etc, and 2 days ago at the pool I saw someone take 5 towels, and , and, ---- He said " Pinboy,  I'll be back in a minute-- I'm going to get a chair " !!!

• Haha 2