Spas--Features and Etiquette

snickers93

I have been on 5 cruises and never been to the spa.  The reason is that I am unsure of what one can do with a spa pass.  I have sailed mainly with NCL.  I read about the heated loungers.  However, why do people buy spa passes?  What do you enjoy/do in the spa area?  I don't want to be pressured to buy things.  Is that common?

Also, what is the expected etiquette?  Do people wear their swimsuits to the spa or change there?  I am truly newbie in this area.

Any tips would be appreciated as I am debating on bidding for an upgrade to NCL spa balcony suite.  

You will get NCL specific responses over on the NCL forum. My experience is based on the occasional spa day pass on the QM2.

Spa areas usually have a locker room. I will bring my swim trunks (and Mrs Bear brings her swim suit) in a small bag. 
The spa provides towels, robes and shower shoes or flip flops. I will shower after changing, and before sing the pool or other thermal suite features. The robe is mostly for visiting the spa lounge area outside of the thermal suite area.

I usually shower before getting dressed (and the robe gets used again). The spa provides a swim suit spinner so I do not need to put dripping wet trunks into my bag.

• Like 2

We had a pass on the breakaway. I dressed the same as going to the pool, bathing suit and cover up. You get a locker and robe. The spa has a pretty large pool with different water jets, hot tub, comfortable loungers, heated loungers, steam room, sauna, salt room, fruit infested waters… There is no selling of anything, very peaceful. It like bring on the pool deck with your book, but not at all crowded, very relaxing.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, snickers93 said:

Any tips would be appreciated as I am debating on bidding for an upgrade to NCL spa balcony suite.  

One of the most pleasant things that I enjoy during a cruise is a daily visit to the hydrothermal pool and the thermal suite on the ships that offer them.  The body temperature, jetted/bubbly water is delightful, relaxing, and soothes achy muscles and joints.  The thermal suite, which may have saunas, aromatherapy showers, and other amenities (availability depends on the ship) is a pleasant way to end the visit.  Sometimes, soft and soothing and appropriate music is piped in which adds to the enjoyment.

Don't overlook the other items that the spa offers which are available to all guests.  On my last cruise, I decided to indulge in my first mini-facial and shave.  I enjoyed it so much that I had another one before the cruise ended.  I also had a massage.  I did not enjoy that as much as the mini-facial.  Also, I had my hair cut and the spa staff member did a better job than some barbers that I have patronized.  

• Like 1

How to dress for the spa?  I wear my bathing suit and a t-shirt with slippers to get to the spa.  (I detest walking in flip flops.)  As others have said, the spa will provide you with a locker with flip flops and a robe.  Plenty of towels will be available in the locker room as well as around the pool.  I do use the robe, but, not the flip flops.  The locker room will have showers and, depending on the time of day, I will use them before returning to my stateroom.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

We had a pass on the breakaway. I dressed the same as going to the pool, bathing suit and cover up. You get a locker and robe. The spa has a pretty large pool with different water jets, hot tub, comfortable loungers, heated loungers, steam room, sauna, salt room, fruit infested waters… There is no selling of anything, very peaceful. It like bring on the pool deck with your book, but not at all crowded, very relaxing.

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

One of the most pleasant things that I enjoy during a cruise is a daily visit to the hydrothermal pool and the thermal suite on the ships that offer them.  The body temperature, jetted/bubbly water is delightful, relaxing, and soothes achy muscles and joints.  The thermal suite, which may have saunas, aromatherapy showers, and other amenities (availability depends on the ship) is a pleasant way to end the visit.  Sometimes, soft and soothing and appropriate music is piped in which adds to the enjoyment.

Don't overlook the other items that the spa offers which are available to all guests.  On my last cruise, I decided to indulge in my first mini-facial and shave.  I enjoyed it so much that I had another one before the cruise ended.  I also had a massage.  I did not enjoy that as much as the mini-facial.  Also, I had my hair cut and the spa staff member did a better job than some barbers that I have patronized.  

Have yet to use a spa on a cruise ship.  It sounds nice.  How long is a typical session of lounging/soaking?  

23 hours ago, snickers93 said:

I have been on 5 cruises and never been to the spa.  The reason is that I am unsure of what one can do with a spa pass.  I have sailed mainly with NCL.  I read about the heated loungers.  However, why do people buy spa passes?  What do you enjoy/do in the spa area?  I don't want to be pressured to buy things.  Is that common?

Also, what is the expected etiquette?  Do people wear their swimsuits to the spa or change there?  I am truly newbie in this area.

Howdy @snickers93 emo22.gif

Thank you for your new thread titled Spas--Features and Etiquette on the Ask a Cruise Question forum.  However, it is the forum for general questions regarding cruising. Your thread was off topic there since your post concerns a specific cruise line. To help you out, I have moved your thread to the Norwegian Cruise Line forum where it will be on topic.

And don't forget, after your cruise be sure to submit your review for publication by Cruise Critic. Many cruisers will benefit from your experience! emo49.gif See How To: Submit a Member Review.

Hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard the Cruise Critic message board! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

• Like 1

I'm a big spa guy, so a few thoughts in addition to what others have said:

If you get a thermal spa pass, I haven't seen any pressure to buy something additional. (Even during massages, the upselling has been minimal. A simple "no thanks" and nothing more is said. I only experienced more aggressive upselling on Royal)

Getting to the spa, I wear my bathing suit, flip flops, and a t-shirt. There are plenty of robes and towels and in the locker rooms. On the ships I've been on, you usually set your own combination, so no need to deal with any type of keys. 

In the co-ed areas, I will wear my bathing suit. If you're going to lay on the heated loungers or other loungers, lay down a towel.

On the Jewel and Dawn class of ships, the single-sex areas are a bit larger. When I'm using those, I will not wear a bathing suit and just wrap a towel around me while I'm in the sauna or steam room (sweating in a bathing suit is just gross to me). Just please do not wear sneakers into the sauna or steam room. Such a pet peeve of mine.

While I'm relaxing, I always have my kindle with me or I'll just rest my eyes and enjoy the soothing music and ship motion. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ldubs said:

Have yet to use a spa on a cruise ship.  It sounds nice.  How long is a typical session of lounging/soaking?  

As long as you want! I've spent 20 minutes in the Thermal Suite and I've spent 3 hours there.

Concerning attire - I wear my swimsuit, terry cloth cover-up, and slide sandals en route to the spa (it's NCL, nobody will bat an eye at this). While in the Thermal Suite I wear the cover-up in the lounger area and put down multiple towels since I usually go there straight from the thalassotherapy pool.

On 1/13/2022 at 8:06 PM, snickers93 said:

I am usually in the solo cabins and while I absolutely love the cabin type and storage, the showers are small. I get ready every day in the spa bathroom. Huge private showers with benches and jets and a nice area to get ready while enjoying the ocean views by the large windows. Fluffy robes complimentary. A spa pass is a must for me! Other features that people have mentioned are nice too but I really like the extra space to get ready and they have lockers so I can keep my items safely stored.

On 1/13/2022 at 9:06 PM, snickers93 said:

Depends on the ship. Bathing suit is always appropriate. And required in all coed areas. Small ships and the Epic have saunas and steamrooms in the lockerrooms. In those facilities, clothing is optional. 

If you just by a Thermal Suite pass, there is no upsells. You really don't interact with the spa personnel much. If you get a spa service like a massage, the technician will definitely try to sell you skin and hair care products. Their job performance is rated on how much product they sell. A polite "no thank you" is all you need to say (may be 2 or 3 times), but just say "no thank you,,, I am beautiful as I am". 

We normally try to put 1 1/2 - 2 hours in our schedule to spend time in the Thermal suite. We like to spend time in the sauna and steam room, followed by soaking in the hot bubbling waters of the hydrotherapy pool (big ships) or jacuzzi (small ships). 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BirdTravels said:

Small ships have saunas and steamrooms in the lockerrooms. In those facilities, clothing is optional.

Yes, I have experienced this several years ago on a small ship.  Didn't care for that facility.  Too small and cramped.  

4 hours ago, coastcat said:

As long as you want! I've spent 20 minutes in the Thermal Suite and I've spent 3 hours there.

Concerning attire - I wear my swimsuit, terry cloth cover-up, and slide sandals en route to the spa (it's NCL, nobody will bat an eye at this). While in the Thermal Suite I wear the cover-up in the lounger area and put down multiple towels since I usually go there straight from the thalassotherapy pool.

Thanks.  I've never been to this type of SPA on a cruise ship or land for that matter.  

2 hours ago, Kclovesken said:

How much are the passes approx now? 

I booked a pass for my 2/19 Escape cruise and it was $199. I love the peace and quiet in the Thermal Suite and can easily spend a few hours in there most days of the cruise. No upselling of any kind- you are free to relax.

• Like 1