The Daily for Friday 01/14/2022

richwmn

Today is Dress Up Your Pet Day, International Kite Day, and Organize Your Home Day

Friendship ... is born at the moment when one man says to another What! You too? I thought that no one but myself . . .--C.S. Lewis, The Four Loves

Meal Suggestion for today - Gerookte paling
Drink of the Day - Honey Apple Cucumber
Wine of the Day - Wine by Joe 2020 Rosé of Pinot Noir (Willamette V
Destination of the Day - Stornoway, Isle of Lewis, Scotland, United Kingdom

Ships With Passengers

At Sea Caribbean

Eurodam  

Destination Port Everglades eta 1/16

Nieuw Statendam  

Destination Philipsburg, Sint eta 1/15

Zuiderdam  

Destination Half Moon Cay BS eta 1/15

At Sea Pacific

Koningsdam  

Destination San Diego CA US eta 1/16

Grand Turk, Turks and Caicos

Rotterdam  

07:00 - 14;00

Ships Without Passengers

Corfu GR

Volendam  

Zaandam  

Limassol CY

Oosterdam  

Long Beach CA US

Westerdam  

Anchorage

Port Everglades, Fort Lauderdale FL US

Nieuw Amsterdam  

Noordam  

Anchorage

0114NAmerica.thumb.png.58815e9c9986f6af5347192e02e2b7c0.png

0114Europe.thumb.png.1a987a9c94f89f71232941d34ed624c3.png

• Like 32
  • Thanks 13

On January 14, 1784, the Confederation Congress—which was also still known as the Continental Congress—ratified the Treaty of Paris, the document that officially ended the American Revolutionary War and made the United States of America a sovereign nation.

https://www.checkiday.com/df81a62710e178d4d59986758e56c951/ratification-day

• Like 26
  • Thanks 18

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.  Happy Friday!

Interesting collection of days but Bertie Woofster does not like to be dressed up, it's too cold to fly a kite and I should organize my home, but I like it the way it is.🙂

Love the quote.

Not sure what to make of the meal suggestion, I'll wait to see what @dfishtells us.

I hope the wine is good.

I've never been to Stornoway, looking forward to seeing pictures.

Prayers for everyone and an extra one for @kazu

It's -12C now, that's today's high.  Bertie and I will go for a walk when the sun comes up.

Hope everyone has a good day.  Stay safe.

• Like 31

Good morning everyone and happy Friday, thanks for the daily report.  No pet to dress today. Kites are fun but not too viable in the city. There are several areas that need some serious organization in my home.  I like the quote.  I had to look up today’s meal suggestion and I think I’d like it.  Haven’t been to today’s destination but do hope to get there someday. It looks like a frigid weekend in store here as we head up to Maine for the weekend, will have to break out the long johns!  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events!

• Like 27

Good afternoon.

It is sunny and 44°F here in North East England.

Interesting collection of days.

Pauline had this soft toy specially made with some of Roy's her late dad's clothes cut to fit.

Interesting quote although I find a smile and a hello is a good way to make friends.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

We have never visited today's port so interesting to see what photos others post.

Daily prayers 🙏 to all our friends who are unwell.

I wish everyone a nice day.

Graham.

16421623302352529957918396283725.jpg

Screenshot_20220114_120658.jpg

Screenshot_20220114_120738.jpg

Screenshot_20220114_120807.jpg

• Like 35
  • Thanks 4

Good morning.

Thank you Rich, for the Daily.

Interesting collection of days.  However, can’t dress up a pet I don’t have.  If I had a kite, I would end up like Charlie Brown with it in a tree and me too, So I guess I am reduced to organizing my house.  And there is a lot to organize.  There is plenty of clutter to attend to.  So I will try to make a dent  today,

Hope everyone is doing well.

@dobiemom sorry about your cruise cancellation. That is really short notice.  At least you did not get on a plane and fly to the port.

@kazuHave not heard from you.  Hope you can give us an update on Jose.  Hopefully it is some better news. Prayers for both of you.

@rafinmdHope you are recovering from the radiation treatments.

Prayers to all that need them and cheers to those celebrating.

It is early and time to go have breakfast.  

Have a great Friday.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 29

Good Morning.

I guess I am a contrarian today regarding dressing up pets. It is something I really disagree with. I prefer to see the natural beauty in an animal and see"dressing them up" as disrespectful. Just my weird way of looking at the world.

I appreciate Rich's post about today being the anniversary of the ratification of the Treaty of PAris. In many ways, that was the true birth date of the US.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 35

Good morning from Grand Turk.  Docked next to the P&O Azura.  BIG ship.  Would never try to dress up my cat but I remember my siblings dressing up the dog they had at the time.  Won't be flying any kites and happily not home to declutter it.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Honey Apple Cucumber:

Ingredients
2 1/2 parts Jim Beam® Honey
3 Cucumber, Sliced
Splash
Lemon Juice
Cinnamon Syrup

Instructions
Mix all ingredients in a cocktail shaker. Garnish with cucumber slice.

Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 7.50.25 AM.png

• Like 27
  • Thanks 6

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich!
@jimgev, my Bindi agrees with you - though she does get very excited when I change her collar at different times throughout the year.🤔

Thank you Roy for keeping our lists. Morning Dailyites. Mani - pedi day for me, though it is cold enough here for socks - so my feet will have to suffer . The price one pays for beauty.  Coffee tastes extra good this morning. 
Heading over to a neighbor’s this evening. She had foot surgery last week and has been housebound for a week and has another one to go. I am going to introduce her to my new favorite Chardonnay. 

This is my mish-mash series….

E5C0CF77-B367-469C-88CE-8304AA629F30.jpeg.2662cfec8e315ce2fe965a4222942994.jpeg

8A50B29B-EB00-4005-9AF0-2C24059289B4.jpeg.fe0087d01ef1e5cf5331743262c91b7a.jpeg

879091EF-33C6-44FD-9438-1C4F2624B763.jpeg.8319b5666855a8b6aa38703d567cfa92.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Wine by Joe 2020 Rosé of Pinot Noir (Willamette Valley)

Today’s wine is much more budget friendly, and with its very good - excellent ratings, it might be worth trying. Especially since it is “quaffable”! 😎 Online prices started at $10.97.

Winemaker Notes

The 2020 Rosé is food-friendly and eminently quaffable, replete with mouthwatering acidity and light, refreshing body. Fruit driven aromas of strawberry, watermelon, and pineapple mingle with hints of rose petal and bubble gum. On the palate, a tarter fruit expression of gooseberry, rhubarb, and peach skin balances with notes of minerality that transitions to a medium-long, acid-driven finish. Enjoy this Willamette Valley Rosé of Pinot Noir with everything from french fries and grilled shrimp to strawberry shortcake.

WE90 Wine Enthusiast
A pretty rose-copper hue, this appealing rosé mixes scents of orange blossom and lemon oil, and it opens into a fairly broad palate with tart strawberry as its anchor. Threads of citrus and stone run through it, with herbal accents as well. It's well-balanced and shows interesting nuances on through a lingering finish.  Best Buy
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 3

Happy Friday! We are not pet people at all, although we do like animals in general.  The last two houses we bought have had to have the carpets removed from pet “smells”. Plus, everyone we know who has pets, has a stinky house. No thanks! Moving to TN has naturally caused a reorganization of “stuff”, so we are very organized now. 

I like the quote. Veterans have that experience a lot, and it’s nice to share sea stories with others who “get it”. 

I would like to visit that part of Europe when the world recovers. 

We have two possible forecasts for this weekend - 1-2” of snow or 6+”. Hmmmmm. Not sure how they can be so far apart! Having left the frozen North, I would prefer the lower amounts…

• Like 29

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

I don't have a pet, but when I did I didn't dress them up. I like to watch kites and now have "Let's Go Fly A Kite" playing in my head. 🙂 For the most part our house is organized with the exception of materials and tools that DH is using for the bathroom.

I like the quote and will have to wait on Debbie @dfishto decide on the meal.

As always, I look forward to pictures of the port.

Feeling much better today...just a slight headache which is definitely due to sinuses. 

Another beautiful sky this morning. Today we have shades of blue with a stripe of yellow and one of pink just over the mountains across the way. 

@dobiemomsorry your cruise was cancelled. Hopefully you can get one booked again soon.

@cat shepardI enjoyed the library series. Thank you.

@StLouisCruisershoping you hear that your DD had a good night sleep and is feeling better today.

Wishing everyone a fabulous Friday.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. It’s a balmy 35 degrees this am. We never dressed up any of the dogs we had. I really do have some home organizing to don. I’ll start with the thousands of papers I’ve gotten from insurance and bills since Sam got sick in June. Yesterday I realized that estimated taxes were due soon and I went looking for the tax return only to discover all the stubs from June, September, and January not sent. I panicked and called the accountant who said just add up all the numbers I owed and send it with January payment. I made out the check and went to the post office to mail it. When I got home, I ran a quick books report , which I should have done earlier and found that I had sent in the June payment right after Sam got sick. So, that meant I had sent in too much money and nothing to do but know it will be applied towards what I owe for 2021. I never ever make mistakes like that, but I’ve been under too much stress.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

Today is Dress Up Your Pet Day, International Kite Day, and Organize Your Home Day

Friendship ... is born at the moment when one man says to another What! You too? I thought that no one but myself . . .--C.S. Lewis, The Four Loves

Meal Suggestion for today - Gerookte paling
Drink of the Day - Honey Apple Cucumber
Wine of the Day - Wine by Joe 2020 Rosé of Pinot Noir (Willamette V
Destination of the Day - Stornoway, Isle of Lewis, Scotland, United Kingdom

Ships With Passengers

At Sea Caribbean

Eurodam  

Destination Port Everglades eta 1/16

Nieuw Statendam  

Destination Philipsburg, Sint eta 1/15

Zuiderdam  

Destination Half Moon Cay BS eta 1/15

At Sea Pacific

Koningsdam  

Destination San Diego CA US eta 1/16

Grand Turk, Turks and Caicos

Rotterdam  

07:00 - 14;00

Ships Without Passengers

Corfu GR

Volendam  

Zaandam  

Limassol CY

Oosterdam  

Long Beach CA US

Westerdam  

Anchorage

Port Everglades, Fort Lauderdale FL US

Nieuw Amsterdam  

Noordam  

Anchorage

0114NAmerica.thumb.png.58815e9c9986f6af5347192e02e2b7c0.png

0114Europe.thumb.png.1a987a9c94f89f71232941d34ed624c3.png

Thank you Rich for today's daily.

Our late family pet Dalmatian Domino loved having his coat on in cold weather.

Lots of people dress their dogs in warm clothes and even booties when the weather is cold.

This is what can happen when it is cold and our pets are not dressed.

FB_IMG_1642036970554.jpg.0b16ec6e81157dc625278584460d4e94.jpg

• Like 11
  • Haha 20

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Sochi does not take well to dressing up.  I haven't flown a kite in years, and since Covid began, I've never had such a well organized linen closet.  

@Navybikermomwe've had a kitty in our home almost continuously for the last 35 years and I assure you, our house has never been stinky.  Part of the odour comes from the belief that you only have to scoop the cat litter weekly - we have done ours twice daily, morning and night, ever since the first feline moved in with us.  And our kitties have not been allowed on the furniture, thereby keeping the furniture, whether cloth or leather, odour free.

We've gained many lifelong friends from the cruises we've taken, and are thankful for that.  I think I'll take a pass on today's drink suggestion, but would try the wine, chilled, on a hot day.

I know many of us are concerned about Jacqui and her family, well I spoke with @kazu last night and she has agreed to let me share this for her.  She is so appreciative of all the prayers and caring shown for her, Jose, Marley and now Miko; she reads your messages, but her free time is very limited right now as she navigates uncharted waters.  The health of Jose and the precious furbabies is front and centre in her life right now, but she will check in when she can.  Between the family's health and trying to maintain her home and property with several snowstorms thrown into the mix, she's a pretty busy girl.  I know you all join me in daily prayers for her, knowing she will be welcomed with open arms once she's able to return on a regular basis.

I had to look up today's menu suggestion, and no, nope, nyet, unh unh, not going to happen.  I abhor snakes and eels are just snakes that swim better.  *shudder*   Today is Friday, so it's pizza night on the "frozen tundra" - we'll check the listings to see what appeals to us and will either go out and pick it up or have it delivered.  Pizza's what's happening on our dinner table tonight.  And wine.

Here's a pic of Sochi dressed on Christmas morning:

567121689_SantaSochi.thumb.jpg.0a2f99360637958af973238830db493e.jpg

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the wine glasses to celebrate all on the happy list.  Wash your hands, wear your masks, stay safe, be well, and keep warm!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry  

• Like 31
  • Thanks 19

Good morning!!  It is clear out, and the temp is 36.  Fawn the feral spent on the night on the heated porch, and told me about how it was too warm when i let her out into the cold this morning.  LOL. 

When I want to make myself more organized, I watch a Marie Condo show, and off I go, totally motivated for at least an hour or two.  Plans today -go for an afternoon walk with friends.  After I do my last call backs for Dayton.  Tomorrow I go via Zoom to attend my training class, and I have a full novel of information to read before it begins.  

I'm not sure what the dinner was, it sounded like a drink.  Our dinner tonight is salmon, asparagus with Hollandaise, and a thin slice of chocolate roll cake filled with a mint cream.

@dobiemom I am so sorry about your non cruise.

I guess i am an extremist regarding Covid.  I just wish everyone would just stay put for two weeks, to see if we can stop the spread. On the other hand, I have stayed put for two years.  I haven't gotten covid, i just tick everyone off, and I'm hard to live with. 🙀

• Like 24
  • Haha 8

Good morning, everyone.  

I slept late this morning and really enjoyed it!  The only thing on the agenda is the pool later on.  Otherwise, I am free to organize the house or to wrap in a quilt on the couch and watch bad movies on Netflix.  

Today's meal is interesting, to say the least.  

At just about every haringhuis (herring stand) or vishandel (fish shop) in Amsterdam, one can buy the Dutch delicacy of smoked eel, known as gerookte paling. In the past, smoked eel was a staple in the country, but today it is a true delicacy due to the scarcity of eels and its high price.

The dish is both healthy and flavorful, filled with omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins, and protein. It is usually served on a bun or a cracker and consumed as a snack.

636830674_gerooktepaling.thumb.jpg.5cf61512d9e3153c98a37c9128545774.jpg

Here are the directions for smoking your eel:  https://www.thedutchtable.com/2012/04/gerookte-paling.html

paling11.jpg.b9213d8b3ceb44082e0a67e3cfe4ade6.jpg

And how to serve it.  http://deniseswonderland.blogspot.com/2013/12/gerookte-paling-dutch-smoked-eel.html

2032430832_fresheels.jpg.38fc8fbb931b8398bda00fdc43429b87.jpg

Fresh eels ready for smoking.

286388286_Smokedeelsinsmokebox.jpg.88b543c2ebda86dd1aa10c6e1710b815.jpg

783992370_Insidethesmokedeelsandwich.jpg.7736d5a3a80043236ee895afebf73450.jpg

Prayers for all who need them and cheers to those who are celebrating.  Enjoy your smoked eel!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 13

11 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Sochi does not take well to dressing up.  I haven't flown a kite in years, and since Covid began, I've never had such a well organized linen closet.  

@Navybikermomwe've had a kitty in our home almost continuously for the last 35 years and I assure you, our house has never been stinky.  Part of the odour comes from the belief that you only have to scoop the cat litter weekly - we have done ours twice daily, morning and night, ever since the first feline moved in with us.  And our kitties have not been allowed on the furniture, thereby keeping the furniture, whether cloth or leather, odour free.

We've gained many lifelong friends from the cruises we've taken, and are thankful for that.  I think I'll take a pass on today's drink suggestion, but would try the wine, chilled, on a hot day.

I know many of us are concerned about Jacqui and her family, well I spoke with @kazu last night and she has agreed to let me share this for her.  She is so appreciative of all the prayers and caring shown for her, Jose, Marley and now Miko; she reads your messages, but her free time is very limited right now as she navigates uncharted waters.  The health of Jose and the precious furbabies is front and centre in her life right now, but she will check in when she can.  Between the family's health and trying to maintain her home and property with several snowstorms thrown into the mix, she's a pretty busy girl.  I know you all join me in daily prayers for her, knowing she will be welcomed with open arms once she's able to return on a regular basis.

I had to look up today's menu suggestion, and no, nope, nyet, unh unh, not going to happen.  I abhor snakes and eels are just snakes that swim better.  *shudder*   Today is Friday, so it's pizza night on the "frozen tundra" - we'll check the listings to see what appeals to us and will either go out and pick it up or have it delivered.  Pizza's what's happening on our dinner table tonight.  And wine.

Here's a pic of Sochi dressed on Christmas morning:

567121689_SantaSochi.thumb.jpg.0a2f99360637958af973238830db493e.jpg

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the wine glasses to celebrate all on the happy list.  Wash your hands, wear your masks, stay safe, be well, and keep warm!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry  

Sochi is gorgeous.

Graham.

• Like 17

Good Morning everyone! Thank you Rich for the Daily Report.  Thank you Debbie for the interesting photos of Gerookte Paling. I will need to give it a try when I am in Amsterdam this October. And thank you everyone for caring and sharing! Have a great weekend!

Stay safe.

- Jack

• Like 23