Regent Splendor Jan 13 MIA-MIA Update

jjs217

Currently sailing on the Splendor 11 night MIA-MIA, departed Jan 13.
Check-in took a little less than an hour including the Covid test results, which took about 15 minutes. The test was a nasal swab, not a full sinus assault. Temperature check and health interview while awaiting test results.
We have no information on overall Covid test results. 
Masks required while inside and not eating/drinking; outdoors when cannot social distance.
Deck 6 appears to be blocked off for quarantine purposes but we have no information regarding passenger status.
San Juan Puerto Rico stop canceled due to Covid; will spend the day at sea.
Prime 7 and Chartreuse sometimes open for lunch.
Beautiful ship and wonderful staff. 
We won't be monitoring this post on a regular basis.

Big itinerary changes announced tonight about 7:30 local time. Our stay in St Kitts tomorrow has been canceled and replaced with St Maarten. The crew had a new shore excursion list for tomorrow posted to the rooms within a half hour of the public announcement.  Additionally, none 
of the other scheduled stops will be made due to Covid. New stops include St Maarten, Barbados and Tortola, with 3 "@ Sea" days expanding to 6 "@ Sea" days to fill in the schedule. 

Original                                  Revised

13 Sail from MIA                  "        
14 @ Sea                               " 
15 Puerto Playa, D.R.           "
16 San Juan P.R.                  @ Sea
17 Basseterre. St Kitts        St Maarten

18 Roseau, Dominica          Tortola

19 Castries, St Lucia           @ Sea    
20 St John's,  Antingua       Barbados
21 Gustavia, St Barts          @ Sea
22 @ Sea                               "

23 @ Sea                               "     

24 MIA                                   "

In summary, the only original destination port we reached was our first - Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic. We lost 6 additional ports and gained 3 new ones.

Haven't interacted with the other passengers yet, but we are still happy to be sailing despite the disappointment of some missed excursions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jjs217 said:

Big itinerary changes announced tonight about 7:30 local time. Our stay in St Kitts tomorrow has been canceled and replaced with St Maarten. The crew had a new shore excursion list for tomorrow posted to the rooms within a half hour of the public announcement.  Additionally, none 
of the other scheduled stops will be made due to Covid. New stops include St Maarten, Barbados and Tortola, with 3 "@ Sea" days expanding to 6 "@ Sea" days to fill in the schedule. 

Original                                  Revised

13 Sail from MIA                  "        
14 @ Sea                               " 
15 Puerto Playa, D.R.           "
16 San Juan P.R.                  @ Sea
17 Basseterre. St Kitts        St Maarten

18 Roseau, Dominica          Tortola

19 Castries, St Lucia           @ Sea    
20 St John's,  Antingua       Barbados
21 Gustavia, St Barts          @ Sea
22 @ Sea                               "

23 @ Sea                               "     

24 MIA                                   "

In summary, the only original destination port we reached was our first - Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic. We lost 6 additional ports and gained 3 new ones.

Haven't interacted with the other passengers yet, but we are still happy to be sailing despite the disappointment of some missed excursions.

9 hours ago, labonnevie said:

I can highly recommend the 12 meter yacht “shore excursion” in St. Maarten. 

First thing we booked when the new excursion list was distributed. Thanks for the recommendation.

5 minutes ago, wristband said:

If I understand  correctly....420 canx out of a cap of 730 = 310 customers on board?

There are 420 on board and the cap is 732 as 12 cabins are being used for quarantine. I believe 424 passengers were booked after cancellations were subtracted. I do not know how many were originally booked but the ship was running with a booking cap in place...no idea if it hit the cap or not.

If you test positive at the pier...

What happens if I test positive for COVID-19 at embarkation?
Guests who test positive for COVID-19 at embarkation will be denied boarding. If the guest(s) is symptomatic and requires medical care or hospitalization, MedCon/Port Agent will arrange to have the guest(s) transferred to the local hospital. Hospital and/or medical treatments will be at the guest’s expense and MedCon will make daily calls to our guest(s) in the hospital as a health diary (daily case management). If the guest(s) is not symptomatic, or mildly symptomatic and does not require immediate medical care or hospitalization, MedCon/Port Agent will contact Port/Marine Ops and Hotel Ops to arrange transportation from port. Guest(s) will be isolated in accordance with local regulations. Should the guest(s) develop any symptoms, need to consult a doctor, or require medication associated with COVID-19 they are to contact MedCon. All shoreside hospital and/or medical treatments will be at the guest’s expense. Once required isolation period is complete, no further test will be administered. Any airline or country of origin testing requirements will be at the guest(s)‘ expense. MedCon/Port Agent will manage arrangements for travel/transportation once the Port Agent advises the guest(s) is cleared to travel home. MedCon/Port Agent are to settle all upfront payments with guest(s). Additional details regarding costs for travel arrangements and quarantine can be found below in the “If I test positive for COVID-19, will Regent cover the cost of travel arrangements and/or quarantine needed?”.

Will all guests traveling in the same suite be denied boarding if one member of the party tests positive at embarkation?
Yes — all guests booked in the same suite as the confirmed COVID-19 positive case will not be allowed to board.

If I cannot sail because I test positive for COVID-19 within three (3) days of travelling to the ship, or at the pier the day of embarkation, will I receive a refund?
Guests who must cancel their cruise within three (3) days of travelling to the ship due to a positive COVID-19 test prior to leaving home, or those that test positive for COVID-19 at the pier prior to embarkation and are denied boarding, should submit an insurance claim. For guests whose claims are denied or who do not have insurance, proof of claim denial from insurance carrier and proof of a negative COVID-19 test result from a registered test provider (including the test administered at the pier) are to be submitted to guestrelations@rssc.com within three (3) months from the scheduled voyage end date, and Regent will provide a Future Cruise Credit (FCC); the FCC will post to the guest’s account within 30 days. The Future Cruise Credit can be applied to any reservation within one (1) year on any Regent voyage departing within two (2) years. Alternatively, guest may request a monetary refund to the original form of payment** on file by sending an email to guestrelations@rssc.com within three (3) months from the scheduled voyage end date. Guests who violated RSSC’s Health & Safety protocols and/or local authority regulations/procedures will receive no refunds or credits whatsoever. ** If any portion of the booking has previously applied Future Cruise Credits, those Future Cruise Credits will be reinstated to the guest’s account and are non-refundable.

Edited by Pcardad
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

There are 420 on board and the cap is 732 as 12 cabins are being used for quarantine. I believe 424 passengers were booked after cancellations were subtracted. I do not know how many were originally booked but the ship was running with a booking cap in place...no idea if it hit the cap or not.

If you test positive at the pier...

What happens if I test positive for COVID-19 at embarkation?
Guests who test positive for COVID-19 at embarkation will be denied boarding. If the guest(s) is symptomatic and requires medical care or hospitalization, MedCon/Port Agent will arrange to have the guest(s) transferred to the local hospital. Hospital and/or medical treatments will be at the guest’s expense and MedCon will make daily calls to our guest(s) in the hospital as a health diary (daily case management). If the guest(s) is not symptomatic, or mildly symptomatic and does not require immediate medical care or hospitalization, MedCon/Port Agent will contact Port/Marine Ops and Hotel Ops to arrange transportation from port. Guest(s) will be isolated in accordance with local regulations. Should the guest(s) develop any symptoms, need to consult a doctor, or require medication associated with COVID-19 they are to contact MedCon. All shoreside hospital and/or medical treatments will be at the guest’s expense. Once required isolation period is complete, no further test will be administered. Any airline or country of origin testing requirements will be at the guest(s)‘ expense. MedCon/Port Agent will manage arrangements for travel/transportation once the Port Agent advises the guest(s) is cleared to travel home. MedCon/Port Agent are to settle all upfront payments with guest(s). Additional details regarding costs for travel arrangements and quarantine can be found below in the “If I test positive for COVID-19, will Regent cover the cost of travel arrangements and/or quarantine needed?”.

Will all guests traveling in the same suite be denied boarding if one member of the party tests positive at embarkation?
Yes — all guests booked in the same suite as the confirmed COVID-19 positive case will not be allowed to board.

If I cannot sail because I test positive for COVID-19 within three (3) days of travelling to the ship, or at the pier the day of embarkation, will I receive a refund?
Guests who must cancel their cruise within three (3) days of travelling to the ship due to a positive COVID-19 test prior to leaving home, or those that test positive for COVID-19 at the pier prior to embarkation and are denied boarding, should submit an insurance claim. For guests whose claims are denied or who do not have insurance, proof of claim denial from insurance carrier and proof of a negative COVID-19 test result from a registered test provider (including the test administered at the pier) are to be submitted to guestrelations@rssc.com within three (3) months from the scheduled voyage end date, and Regent will provide a Future Cruise Credit (FCC); the FCC will post to the guest’s account within 30 days. The Future Cruise Credit can be applied to any reservation within one (1) year on any Regent voyage departing within two (2) years. Alternatively, guest may request a monetary refund to the original form of payment** on file by sending an email to guestrelations@rssc.com within three (3) months from the scheduled voyage end date. Guests who violated RSSC’s Health & Safety protocols and/or local authority regulations/procedures will receive no refunds or credits whatsoever. ** If any portion of the booking has previously applied Future Cruise Credits, those Future Cruise Credits will be reinstated to the guest’s account and are non-refundable.

Wow, great information, thank you………

10 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

Wow, great information, thank you………

I would like to add that I think the Regent employees are doing an EXCEPTIONAL job dealing with a near impossible situation.

My only complaint is that they should be more transparent with regard to EXACTLY what the quarantine process is onboard. Asking (and I mean asking as I doubt they would handcuff you and lock you up) to go into quarantine is fine if you have the terms and conditions in writing. Refusing to allow the terms to be copied or photographed is strange.

Final Notes:

Covid Testing:
Aside from the initial pier-side testing, there  was no Covid testing during the cruise or required at the ports we ultimately visited. Only Barbados required a temperature check at the pier. On several of the islands the residents wore masks even while outdoors.

Post Cruise:
Passengers traveling internationally by air following the cruise are required to be tested. This PCR test will be administered during the afternoon of the final at sea day and the daily Passages indicated the written test results would be sent to the staterooms that evening.

Passengers remaining on the ship for the next cruise will be given an antigen test in the Observation Lounge on the day before the current cruise ends.

Other Notes:

One additional thing I found interesting - shipboard security at the ports was conducted totally by facial recognition. A photo was taken at disembarkation and upon re-boarding the ship. There was no scanning or use of stateroom key cards. At each port we were advised to take photo ID, key cards and Covid vaccination cards. Key cards were checked by port security but we were never asked to present our vaccination records. 

Happy Cruising Everyone

• Thanks 2

We disembarked the same day you embarked.  Similar experience - about an hour to test/board (although there WAS some confusion about getting test results, but it only added about 10-15 minutes).  We sailed with 403 pax on board, a number which I was told loses money for Regent - so although having smaller crowds on board was kind of nice, it's not even close to being sustainable.  I think I was told he profitability number was somewhere around 500-525 pax?

I sure hope they swing to the positive pretty soon - I'm sure they're also hanging on by a thread and I don't want them to end up like Crystal.  FWIW, we're still booking cruises, out to early 2024 now.

• Like 2

This may have been discussed before but there was an additional reason for using the facial recognition device.  Every time a person put their face near the device it also took the individual’s temperature.  It was an easy way to check for illness.  We had used the device at our gym and they used it at our grandchildren’s trampoline center, as well.  I confirmed this information with some of the ship’s officers at the gangway.